• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010 Thread of Beret-Wearing Hippies Can Get the Frappé Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
Can any Twins fan explain why Carlos Gomez seems to flip his bat on every ball hit out of the infield, including obvious fly outs?!

a. grit
b. speed
c. excitement!
d. not smart
e. all of the above

hiryu2015

tyguy20204 said:
Alfonso Soriano of
8 years/$136M (2007-14)

* 8 years/$136M (2007-14)
o signed by Cubs as a free agent 11/06
o $8M signing bonus
o 07:$9M, 08:$13M, 09:$16M, 10-14:$18M annually
o full no-trade clause
o award bonuses: $0.25M for top vote-getter in All-Star balloting, $0.35M for World Series MVP, $0.25M for LCS MVP, $0.3M for MVP, $75,000 for Gold Glove
o perks: suite on road trips, 6 premium tickets for each home game (spring training - post-season) and All Star Game (if Soriano is selected)
o Soriano to donate $25,000 annually to both United Way & Cubs Care

Yesterday I had a conversation about salaries of non-Yankees players essentially for the first time ever (in response to a KC resident's complaints to Jose Guillen's 3year/$36mil contract). While Gullien has been productive these last few days, I don't see how huge contracts are continually handed out to players who have been around as long as Guillen and Soriano (both career ~.275 batters) but then again I'm only just beginning to dig into the details.

When you start to put numbers to players and potential (rather than output*), the game takes on an entirely new meaning which is almost always negative. The realities of the money game had a similar effect on my father who seemingly gave up on baseball and the RedSox after Damon signed with NY.

* because what are the odds Soriano ever comes close to WS MVP and why would you ever find yourself planning for THAT of all things??:lol

Mrbob

Lets get the sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

skip said:
it would be cool if MLB games were 7 innings long.

26873.jpg

JambiBum

I hate living in Indiana so damn much. Only games I ever really get to see are the nationally televised games or the ones that are on MLB network. The first week of the season I got all of the extra MLB network games for free but then they took that away from me :(. Can't watch the Yankees games all the time unless I find a shitty stream.

xbhaskarx

JambiBum said:
I hate living in Indiana so damn much. Only games I ever really get to see are the nationally televised games or the ones that are on MLB network. The first week of the season I got all of the extra MLB network games for free but then they took that away from me :(. Can't watch the Yankees games all the time unless I find a shitty stream.

MLB.TV

CoreyNYC.gif

Jerry Manuel told WFAN today that John Maine will make his next start.

…it sounded to me like this will be a big start for maine…

…i don’t think he’s guaranteed anything beyond Sunday…

Manuel talked to Mike Francesa for 20 minutes, which you can listen to [thru MetsBlog.com] here, and essentially said:

* The Mets didn’t do what they needed to do against Livan Hernandez last Sunday, regardless of how Johan Santana pitched, and that was very frustrating.
* He does not expect Johan Santana to be perfect every time he pitches, and he was disappointed the team couldn’t rally, ‘to pick him up,’ like he does so many times for them.
* The team needs to get some things sorted out.
* The team has not clicked offensively, like he thought they would.
* They have issues in the starting rotation, ‘and some of those things are starting to show up.’
* He was wrong to start Gary Matthews Jr. early over Angel Pagan.
* Jose Reyes will eventually hit third, maybe in St. Louis, with Pagan hitting leadoff, and with Luis Castillo or Alex Cora batting second.
* Jenrry Mejia is ‘getting his feet wet,’ ‘in the right way,’ and ‘he’s gaining in confidence.’
* The only way to make things better, and put last season behind them is to pitch well and win.

Francesa said Omar Minaya goofed up not keeping Ike Davis on the roster in place of the injured Daniel Murphy, to which Manuel laughed, and said, ‘Well, I’ll leave that one alone.’

Lastly, he acknowledged that there is a bullseye on his back, but, he joked, ‘My back is not that big.’

“We’re gonna keep pushing,” he said. “I think you will see us as a team to be reckoned with.”

AWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEESSSSSSOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEE!!!

Doytch

What's with the persecution complex about trainers & doctors? People read into that shit in every city. Hell, there's people in Toronto who still think Arnsberg = TJ surgery.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People don't jump on the Mets training staff because players get hurt. They were giving them shit because they were misdiagnosing injuries like Ryan Church or being unable to accurately say how far players were away from returning (the entire Mets team of 2009). But I still don't really think any of that is their fault.

eznark

Banned
Sweep's don't count if Suppan is one of the pitchers. It's science.

I did not see optioning Stetter coming, but I guess it makes sense with Parra and Narveson in the bullpen and Hoffman being worthless.

Villanueva as closer attempt 4 incoming.

Andruw Jones comeback player of the year.
Rickie Weeks already has it locked up.

Doytch

year of the motherfucking umps...goddamn

fucking cost morrow another run. fucking idiot cant do his fucking job properly, automate this shit, id rather deal with indian tech support for the machines than these retards.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Headed to Minneapolis to catch some gamesssss. So pumped Greinke is pitching on Friday.

Look for me, I'll be wearing a Twins hat.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
mernst23 said:
Andruw Jones comeback player of the year.
hear, hear!

Still don't understand why he is playing LF, should be playing CF. Say what you will about his bat, but his glove is awesome. I'm sure he is back to his ATL days after he lost all of that weight.

edit: looks like he is playing RF this game.

Taxman

Chase Utley was like "They're going to take this guy out real soon so I had better hit a HR now." Also, Polanco is going to be so great for us this year. He is so underrated.

Sharp

This game is retarded so far. Looking forward to 7.2 IP of the Nationals bullpen, Phillies fans? I know I am!
Call up Strasburg.

mernst23

Doytch said:
i thought this kind of stupidity was reserved strictly for boston fans, but youre proving me wrong.

Not saying much coming from a Jays fan, but why would you even bother defending overbay? Corner infielders with no power batting 5th deserve to be ridiculed. Just because he's a left hander doesn't make him any good.

Wow, i felt bad for not stopping by tonight (is that sad?) but really, there isnt much to discuss in terms of the Jays...

Morrow has looked terrible so far this year, and I thought he was going to be our 3rd best pitcher.

Oh well, im looking forward to seeing if Eveland can backup his first start tomorrow.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
He probably will be our 3rd best pitcher when it is all said and done. Tallet sucks as a starter and Eveland is going to turn back into a pumpkin soon.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
mernst23 said:
Not saying much coming from a Jays fan, but why would you even bother defending overbay? Corner infielders with no power batting 5th deserve to be ridiculed. Just because he's a left hander doesn't make him any good.
What about 1Bmen batting 4th with no abililty to do anything but K and GIDP? Those are cool right?

Doytch

mernst23 said:
how does him batting fifth have anything to do with his skill? if he was playing in a platoon (like i always say he should), his wOBA last year wouldve been .388. thats higher than anyone on the white sox last year (thome had .374). also, justin upton, bartlett and berkman had wOBAs around there (.386-.389) last year.

h3ro

Jon said:

bluemax said:
Graham from Lookout Landing did an awesome series called Sabermetrics 101:

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/section/sabermetrics-101

If you want something less in depth try the glossary section on Fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/glossary

Also worth reading is The Book Blog by Tom Tango:

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/

Thanks guys! Bookmarked the links and looking forward to getting some reading in. Again, props for the links.

I didn't get to watch the game today (prepping for a bachelor party in Montreal :D), but how did Vazquez look? Did he have that one shit inning leading to him imploding for the rest of the game?

It's too early right now, but I hope he gets in a groove, we need Javy to be solid in that 4th spot.

Tomorrow. Hughes. Hype. :D

I dont know, if we got back McGowan/Rzp/Litsch back and they can bounce back like Marcum has we might be alright. I think I would like to see Tallet back in Long Releif and move Jannsen into the rotation.

mernst23

CygnusXS said:
What about 1Bmen batting 4th with no abililty to do anything but K and GIDP? Those are cool right?

PK will have 25 HR and 80 RBIs minimum at least. Besides, it's his last year and we aren't going to renew his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom