• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entertaining game to say the least. Hit my over 8 for +115. To think I almost took the Jays on the run line for +145 earlier. I would have gotten it but I would have been pacing the living room for the duration of the 9th. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow in both series.

zroid

Banned
I love how confident Royals fans are. It's refreshing.

As a Toronto sports fan, it's rare you'll find me in anything but a constant state of panic.

As a Toronto sports fan, it's rare you'll find me in anything but a constant state of panic.

Anyone confident at this point is delusional. This series is wide open. I just want the Royals to take one of three in Toronto.

eyeless

rangers fans were pretty confident too after two games

that's why i prefer constant panic, it's the toronto way

pestul

I think the Jays will win tomorrow with Dickey, because I always have confidence when he's pitching for some reason. Beyond that, it still feels tough.

eyeless

as i've said before, the loss of cecil absolutely crippled our pen, very possibly could be the difference in this series

if we win it'll be by the skin of our teeth

kris.

Banned
Fire Cueto. Burn Kauffman to the ground. Yost Yost.

I'm gonna be in the minority on this but thank fuck for game 4 and 5 day games. I get to actually watch them at work. I'd miss them otherwise. Stupid night classes.

Royals lineup is so good at just putting the ball and play and making contact. That's what makes their offense so dangerous and why they are never completely out of games. It's a pretty big contrast to, say, the Cubs or even the Mets at times.

Full disclosure, I didn't watch the entire game. I only saw bits of the 6th, 7th and 9th innings.

THAT SAID

I at one point disagreed with zroid saying Gibbons inexperience was showing a bit during the first 2 games. Royals are elite yadayada.

But tonight's game smacked of naivete. Team is fragile as fuck and you throw in Hendriks to close the game?

Not a fan. Not a fan at all!

orochi91

Full disclosure, I didn't watch the entire game. I only saw bits of the 6th, 7th and 9th innings.

THAT SAID

I at one point disagreed with zroid saying Gibbons inexperience was showing a bit during the first 2 games. Royals are elite yadayada.

But tonight's game smacked of naivete. Team is fragile as fuck and you throw in Hendriks to close the game?

Not a fan. Not a fan at all!

Honestly, it seems that the Jays are looking for someone to step up and fill in Cecil's role.

So far it seems that no one in the bullpen is capable of setting up for the closer, Osuna.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
US Supreme Court rejects San Jose's bid for A's:

The U.S. Supreme Court closed the door Monday on San Jose’s bid for the Oakland A’s, turning aside the South Bay city’s claim that Major League Baseball has used illegal monopoly powers to block the relocation.

The court said without comment that it would not take up the case on appeal. The decision ended San Jose’s attempt to lure the A’s away from Oakland by challenging baseball’s unique exemption from federal antitrust laws, which restrict monopolies and encourage competition. The exemption, granted by the court in 1922, is the basis of the sport’s territorial rules that have prevented the team from moving south.

“The court’s decision, while significant, has no impact on our intense and unwavering focus on solving our ballpark issue and providing A’s fans the first class experience they deserve,” A’s co-owner and managing partner Lew Wolff said in a statement.

The antitrust rules put Santa Clara County in the San Francisco Giants’ domain — the result of an agreement between the two teams’ owners more than two decades ago, when the Giants were considering a move to San Jose — and limit the A’s territory to Alameda and Contra Costa counties. To make their own move, the A’s would need to negotiate an agreement with the Giants or win approval from three-fourths of the other teams’ owners, both unlikely prospects.

The A’s owners have sought for years to move out of aging O.co Coliseum to a more lucrative location. They have been talking with Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf about refurbishing the Coliseum or building a new ballpark on the site. In July 2014, they signed a new 10-year lease on the Coliseum, but with the right to opt out in four years. Three months later, they renewed an option agreement with San Jose to build a stadium near the city’s downtown Diridon train station.

Meanwhile, San Jose, with support from the A’s owners, sued Major League Baseball in 2013, arguing that baseball teams should have the same right as other pro sports franchises, or non-sports businesses, to relocate as they saw fit.

The city noted that the basis of the Supreme Court’s 1922 ruling — that the major leagues were not engaged in interstate commerce, subject to federal regulation — was a narrow view of commerce that the court repudiated in later cases.

But the justices upheld baseball’s antitrust exemption in 1952 and again in 1972, saying the decision was up to Congress, which had left the law unchanged since 1922. Congress rewrote the law in 1988 to accommodate to the new system of free agency by allowing veteran players to negotiate with competing teams, but did not address franchise relocation.

The case reached the Supreme Court on appeal from the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, which in January also rejected the city’s arguments. “Only Congress and the Supreme Court are empowered to question the continued vitality (of the 1972 ruling), and with it, the fate of baseball’s singular and historic exemption from the antitrust laws,” the appeals court said in a 3-0 ruling.

Honestly, it seems that the Jays are looking for someone to step up and fill in Cecil's role.

So far it seems that no one in the bullpen is capable of setting up for the closer, Osuna.

I think Lowe could, but he seems to be used somewhat sparingly by Gibbons. I'm not sure why...

What happened to Tepera?

murphygoat_ufet86ne_kds9zbae.jpg

Morning. Found this on FB.

Also, some fun facts about the new arms in NY.

The Mets' Harvey was the seventh overall pick in the 2010 draft. Syndergaard was Toronto's first-round pick (38th overall) in 2010 and was acquired by the Mets, along with catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud, in the R.A. Dickey trade in December 2012.

Matz was a second-round pick in 2009. In deGrom, the Mets found a hidden gem in the ninth round of the 2010 draft.

Harvey, deGrom, Matz and Jonathon Niese all were drafted under former general manager Omar Minaya's regime before Sandy Alderson replaced him at the end of the 2010 season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-long-term-collision-course-for-mlb-supremacy

Watched as much of the game as I could from the bar, but didn't get to see a lot.

So glad the Jays won. It ended up being too close for comfort, though.

Here's hoping for two more wins in Toronto and another rebound, but KC is good and I'm nervous.

Watched as much of the game as I could from the bar, but didn't get to see a lot.

So glad the Jays won. It ended up being too close for comfort, though.

Here's hoping for two more wins in Toronto and another rebound, but KC is good and I'm nervous.

Likewise. But the road has been fun so far, and even if they collapse, that doesn't take away from the beyond exceptional season the Jays have had.

Likewise. But the road has been fun so far, and even if they collapse, that doesn't take away from the beyond exceptional season the Jays have had.

Bingo. Playoffs are a crap shoot. The Royals barely squeaked in last year and all they managed to do was win the Wild Card game, sweep the ALDS, sweep the ALCS, and push the World Series to game 7. Nobody expected that.

The Jays are far from out of this. I do believe they had to win last night and they did. At a minimum, they need to win one of the next two (probably both) to take this series. All the Royals need to really do is steal one in Toronto and they are sitting comfortable. You really can't count either team out. The Blue Jays can put up a crazy amount of runs on very limited hits with their power. The Royals go on these wild hit sprees where they knock four or five together and string together bunches of runs.

Neither team is showing stellar pitching, but I like our bullpen and defense to pull this off.

thumbsup.gif

this is the right attitude for dealing with the postseason I think

Especially dealing with the playoff drought we had.

But I remember going back to Game 5 against Texas, the Toronto media was already starting the pitchfork and blame game machine, completely forgetting what transpired over the last three or four months. But I doubt at this point, even winning the World Series will quell the doubters present within the Toronto media zeitgeist. It isn't the Leafs and they didn't go 11-0 doing it, so there must be something wrong.

It's going to be a tight game in Toronto today. Chris Young has some decent numbers against the Jays and especially against righties. Dickey has been fantastic ever since the all star break and dominated KC earlier this year. Jays need to tag Chris Young for a couple of runs before he turns it over to the bullpen. After that, pray that the bullpen can hang on to the lead.

No bets on this game because I think Toronto will find a way to win today and there is nothing on the lines that look favourable backing Toronto.

zroid

Banned
Tulo's glove

Voe3KDc.png

Yuck......

[Clubhouse manager Kevin] Malloy checks on the glove every day, to make sure the back webbing is tight. Back in August, in Texas, it came loose in the middle of the game. Malloy had three outs to work with, because Tulowitzki wanted his glove back in the top of the next frame. So he wrapped the leather string that keeps the glove tight around the hole where you’d stick out your index finger.

“At least that’s solid,” he says, pointing to the finger hole on the back of the glove, and the huge knot of leather laces outside it. “Anything else is too flimsy and it keeps ripping through the other side. It’s like it’s not leather anymore. It’s paper.”

Another time Malloy sent the glove to Bobby Hastings, the assistant equipment manager with the Toronto Maple Leafs, for a little surgery. Hastings stitched it up with a machine he uses on hockey equipment, and he ran a leather lace through an existing hole in the glove’s palm. It held for a while, then ripped in a different spot. That’s when Malloy took a hole punch to it and created new holes to tie the leather strings to. Those have ripped a few times, too.

good lord

Parch

Hoping they can pound Young. The extra wide strike zone hasn't been helping the Jays.
It might be the better decision to extend Dickey instead of going to the bullpen early. No Cecil is really a big deal, and the rest of the bullpen needs to step up.
If the Jays are going to win this series it has to be with the bats. No time for slumps now.

Best wishes to R.A. Dickey today. Classiest guy in the game. I'm hoping for a Royals win, but all love for R.A. May we shell your bullpen, instead! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom