• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2K9 screens

HoTHiTTeR

Stormwatch said:
Do they not have replays in this game? I hit a walk-off 3 run home run and the player rounded the bases and the game just ended. Nothing special, no replay, nothing. How bland...

hmmm...scripted experience?

hothitter said:
Wow, it's so much better than 2k8! Down 3-1 going into the 3rd utley doubles, cpu walks Howard and Ibanez hits the 3rd pitch hanging curve ball out to right field. Phillies win in a walk off.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Just played the demo. I like the new real-time presentation. Makes the game feel more real. Also the controls are great just like last year, and the pitching and hitting animations are superb. The commentary is also much better too, although its not very hard to get better than the horrible joe morgan/jon miller combo. The graphics seem like a step down to me, although I haven't played 2k8 in awhile and have been playing the show lately. Just my opioion, might be wrong. Anyway, it looks like its heading in the right direction, still has some problems but they improved the game from last year and thats all you can ask for. I might get it for PC since its only $20, will probably wait to see how the mods turn out though.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I wish I wouldn't have said a good word about this game.

I've gotten an inside the park homerun because the right fielder disappeared in the wall.

Upton dropped a home run type catch, walked over to the ball picked it up and the game called the batter out.

I ran on a fly out and scored and was called safe. This is a classic bug that no ball game should contain.

I'm reading a blog of someone playing the real copy and they're getting 5-6 errors a game.

Sick how much money they'll make on this.

Mrbob

Musashi Wins! said:

I've gotten an inside the park homerun because the right fielder disappeared in the wall.

Upton dropped a home run type catch, walked over to the ball picked it up and the game called the batter out.

I ran on a fly out and scored and was called safe. This is a classic bug that no ball game should contain.

I'm reading a blog of someone playing the real copy and they're getting 5-6 errors a game.

God...2k baseball will never change. It is sad, really.

_Angelus_

Banned
Graphically it looks good but yep the show has them beaten in that area. I love 2ks camera views,it makes the game feel alot more genuine,the lighting looks great also,thats one thing that stands out to me. But the player models and textures are lacking. I'm sure 2K will have bugs in their game once again,I know I had my season ruined twice in '08 as they were wiped out both times,stuff like that had me selling the game off after 2 months. The hitting and fielding mechanics I've always preferred in 2Ks game,its just hit and miss with the pros and cons the series offers all around I guess. There will never be a perfect baseball game.
I saw somewhere that 2K releases on the 2nd while the Show is a day after. Jesus I'm gonna be broke till payday once again. I haven't even bought my '09 Mets gear yet either.:(

DMczaf

Musashi Wins! said:

:lol

JBuccCP

Musashi Wins! said:

I've had many bugs with the CPU outfielders. When it's not doing something retarded the game is fun but it's still really rough around the edges.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
JBuccCP said:
I've had many bugs with the CPU outfielders. When it's not doing something retarded the game is fun but it's still really rough around the edges.

Exactly true. But you know what? This series doesn't deserve to be given any more passes for being this rough around the edges. I used to love the World Series baseball franchise so damn much, but enough is enough. They've rested on their ass having a license to sell to all platforms, every year they say they're changing their act and every year the game dissolves into shit.

Core407

Banned
How the hell can you people play this? This is some of the worst baseball I've seen in a long time. What the hell is with the players? They look so small and the fields look so huge. Camera angles suck for most things too. The only bright spot is the pitching.

Mrbob

What the heck.

Booted the demo up on 360, and this game uses the exact same menu and pregame music as nba2k9 does!

With all the pepsi and state farm product placement, you would think 2k could come up with something different and new. :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
played the demo last night, i thought it was really fun! one thing i liked though, was the outfielders weren't all insane speed guys that cover ridiculous ground like they do in The Show. my one major complaint about The Show, every outfielder covers way too much ground. 2k seemed actually too much on the slow side. if we had somewhere in the middle i think it would be about right.

graphics were absolutely NOWHERE near The Show though. They look ok, if a bit colorful and bright. almost like a mario game. the lighting is where The Show just curb-stomps this though.

definitely fun though. i could get into it. especially with friends over. very hitter friendly. almost felt like an arcade type game. lots of hits and scoring.

Mrbob

Yeah I can see how the game can be hit friendly and arcadey, all the pitches seemed to be coming down the plate in some sort of slow motion vaccum. There was no sense of speed at all.

I missed it, but is there a way to turn off the trail the ball makes when a hit is going into the outfield? The perspective just seems wrong with that odd white trail follwoing the baseball.

Also, I'm not a fan of the analog swinging in the title. Doesn't feel like I'm emulating swinging a real bat. The analog pitching is ok, but I don't want to kill my analog stick doing all those movies over a long time.

Did Take Two spend all their money on the licesnse and not give the developer any money to make these games? I can't figure out why this game looks and feels so unpolished. You would think TTwo would demand a better product from their development team.

Mrbob said:
Booted the demo up on 360, and this game uses the exact same menu and pregame music as nba2k9 does!

Sad thing is, I was really impressed with the music for nba 2k9 because it felt like watching a game on TNT. it just does not work for the mlb

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Apparently the franchise is broken, but they're trying to patch it before retail. More chatter from some of the sports reviewers blogs.

As I said, the demo makes a nice first impression, but the bugs begin to swallow you whole if you really play a few games. I get a little obsessive with the baseball demos, and toward my last couple playthroughs I was pretty disapointed.

Mrbob

Franchise is busted again? Take Two really has some explaining to do. Worst exclusive license non exclusive purchase ever. I hope MLB opens it back up to everyone again when the 2K deal is up, even though I'll just get The Show anyway. I'm sure EA could churn out something better. MVP was going in the right direction.

ph33nix said:
Sad thing is, I was really impressed with the music for nba 2k9 because it felt like watching a game on TNT. it just does not work for the mlb

Agreed.

This game is a mess. The more I play the demo the more crazy shit I see. I had the stupid computer try to steal home on a called first strike fastball with only one out. I don't care what difficulty a game is on, that just stupid programming. I had the CPU go on a rally with nothing but infield hits because my damn fielders can't pick up a damn slow moving ball or the first baseman steps off the bag for no other reason than he forgot he was getting payed to play baseball for a living. Blurg! Yo CPU check out this down and away pitch, oh damn I didn't know you would swing at it let only smash it for a double because my fielder decided to jog towards your down and away laser shot to the outfield wall. Oh and one more, nice softly hit grounder to second, cool, dp time. Wait I said throw the ball to first not home. Oh you did throw it to first, you just wanted to add some style to your dp. Nice no look throw, but don't get cocky, you ain't on the Showtime Lakers home boy.

And from OS
BlyGilmore said:
and as mentioned you can't edit stances/deliveries. You also can't pick one for a created player, which kind of stinks.

What the brakes! If you have to take out a feature like that so your game doesn't blow up if someone make a change just bin the damn thing. 2K you make me sick. Blurg!

Cloudy

Banned
The batting interface is quite possibly the best I've seen in a baseball game and the pitching isn't bad either. I wouldn't worry about the demo quirks. MLB 2K demos are notorious for being un-polished

Also, I'm not a fan of the analog swinging in the title. Doesn't feel like I'm emulating swinging a real bat. The analog pitching is ok, but I don't want to kill my analog stick doing all those movies over a long time.

They always leave the default button mode in there but I enjoy this new analog thing..

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I like the swinging, though it's too easy to get hits in the demo.

And the full baseball games are notoriously unpolished, :lol

Mrbob

Oh Kotex, never change. :lol

I suppose there needs to be one diehard mlb2k fan left. Zep defected last year!

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
holy crap

I might buy this game now because Joe Morgan is no longer doing pbp!

I do however have an issue with the menus, opening, and the whole setup. It's exactly like NBA2K9.

No saying it's a bad thing, but I want something to seperate the 2 games other than the music.

I've played both the Show '09 retail version and the 2K9 demo on PS3.

I'll keep it short and just express that Show murders 2K9 in everything but the batting interface. 2K9 looks and plays like a typical - rough around all of its the edges - 2K game. It's quite unfortunate that the franchise is at such a low point, it used to be a very good game of b-ball. There is no way they retain that exclusive third party license when the contract runs out...

ok, got this today. 6.99 on amazon after using a couple gift certificates (only way I could justify release day). Anyway, opening song is "Europe -The Final Countdown".....

I'm already having doubts...

ALeperMessiah said:
ok, got this today. 6.99 on amazon after using a couple gift certificates (only way I could justify release day). Anyway, opening song is "Europe -The Final Countdown".....

I'm already having doubts...

is that when you said 'I made a huge mistake'?

Kifimbo

I have the game since Friday. I don't play baseball game every year, so I'm not an expert, especially with the 2K series.

I don't really like the game. It's not bad, but there are a lot of flaws. Rough around all of its the edges is a pretty accurate description. Fielding is probably the worst aspect of the game. Huh. I don't understand why the framerate is so bad when there is a foul ball. I also encounter several bugs. For example, the AI right fielder kept running into the wall. Later, after a fly out, my pitcher started turning in circle on the field. WTF ! Also, there are a lot of collision problems between runners, infielders and even refs.

Finally, the Franchise mode is freezing (Xbox 360 version). This morning patch didn't change anything about that.

Windu said:
Just played the demo. I like the new real-time presentation. Makes the game feel more real. Also the controls are great just like last year, and the pitching and hitting animations are superb. The commentary is also much better too, although its not very hard to get better than the horrible joe morgan/jon miller combo. The graphics seem like a step down to me, although I haven't played 2k8 in awhile and have been playing the show lately. Just my opioion, might be wrong. Anyway, it looks like its heading in the right direction, still has some problems but they improved the game from last year and thats all you can ask for. I might get it for PC since its only $20, will probably wait to see how the mods turn out though.

I feel the same way. Im really liking this game. Nice improvements over last years edition. Still the best fielding, pitching, batting interface in any baseball game. I love the analog controls.

There is a huge bug in the game that lets you pick everyone off second base. EVERYONE.

I set my "Pickoff Success" slider to 0 and still pick Jose Reyes and Hanley Ramirez off second base every time.

Pathetic.

Ive boughten the 2K Baseball games every year that they've been on the 360 and have for the most part enjoyed them but I just dont think im gonna be picking it up this year. Every year these games just seemed filled with bugs and I keep hoping that next year they'll be fixed but it always seems like for everything they do fix, another few flaws occur.

IMO, they need a major revamp of the series.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've heard you can't get a called strike against the computer? I'm going to quit bitching about the game, but it's odd that they just can't get the core gameplay down. Ever. They've tried several different teams now and no one seems to be able to fix it.

shpankey

not an idiot
gnarkill bill said:
Ive boughten the 2K Baseball games every year that they've been on the 360 and have for the most part enjoyed them but I just dont think im gonna be picking it up this year. Every year these games just seemed filled with bugs and I keep hoping that next year they'll be fixed but it always seems like for everything they do fix, another few flaws occur.

IMO, they need a major revamp of the series.
not just this series either.

Afrikan

I really feel 2k is expecting too much out of Visual Concepts..... this game seems rushed, and NBA 2k9 seems not to be polished as well, when launched...... it seems both sports franchises are being affected.......

2k's best bet might be to keep VC solely working on NBA2k series and hiring some other proven developers to work on their baseball series...

maybe see what the old All Star Baseball devs are up to.....or even the HIGH HEAT Team...

shpankey

not an idiot
Afrikan said:
I really feel 2k is expecting too much out of Visual Concepts..... this game seems rushed, and NBA 2k9 seems not to be polished as well, when launched...... it seems both sports franchises are being affected.......

2k's best bet might be to keep VC solely working on NBA2k series and hiring some other proven developers to work on their baseball series...

maybe see what the old All Star Baseball devs are up to.....or even the HIGH HEAT Team...
High Heat? Oh man, I wish... I'm pretty sure they were absorbed by MSFT though, weren't they?

Mrbob

The franchise was...not sure what happened to the team. MS bought the High Heat license and then buried it. Horrible move considering what Sony is now doing with The Show and how terrible 2k is with their baseball games. MS could have stepped up to the plate (har har!) with something decent and everyone could ignore 2k sports gaming forever. Like it should be.

Musashi Wins! said:

:lol :lol :lol

Come on EA, buy out Take2 and bring my MVP Baseball back dammit!

hie

Mrbob said:
The franchise was...not sure what happened to the team. MS bought the High Heat license and then buried it. Horrible move considering what Sony is now doing with The Show and how terrible 2k is with their baseball games. MS could have stepped up to the plate (har har!) with something decent and everyone could ignore 2k sports gaming forever. Like it should be.

man i wish...HH was by far my favorite baseball series. the Show actually reminds me of it somewhat.

if my M's were at least in contention this year...i'd buy a PS3 just for the Show.

instead i will suffer 2K...again. i don't mind how this "plays" and the mechanics are pretty good, but the bugs are way too much for a realism junkie like me.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm loving the game so far. It's cool how pickoffs are determined by the players now cos you have to press the right trigger to dive back or it's a pickoff. Keeps you on your toes in a tight game :lol

Top Bottom