• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB looks to suspend A-Rod, Ryan Braun, 20+ others for PEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASB

Yankees fans and management must be cheering. A 100 game suspension for A-Rod would be a net gain for them (I'm sure he'll be paid anyway, but at least he'll be out of the way). Looking at his stats, what has the man really done in 5 years?

It's amazing how out of hand, even seemingly in comparison to other sports, that baseball salaries have become. It seems like batters that can barely reach .200 or .250 are getting tens of millions. They're not going to help a team win anything. They're barely a utility player and yet the millions and tens of millions roll in.

Enron

Banned
Yankees fans and management must be cheering. A 100 game suspension for A-Rod would be a net gain for them (I'm sure he'll be paid anyway, but at least he'll be out of the way). Looking at his stats, what has the man really done in 5 years?

It's amazing how out of hand, even seemingly in comparison to other sports, that baseball salaries have become. It seems like batters that can barely reach .200 or .250 are getting tens of millions. They're not going to help a team win anything. They're barely a utility player and yet the millions and tens of millions roll in.

Oh boy, now you've gone and done it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Might as well let them get all roided up, it has worked for the NBA.

Mully

Ehhhh.

I'm not rejoicing just yet.

I'm really nervous about the amount of present and former Yankee players that have been a part of the Mitchell Report and this list. Just look at the list and they're all over the place. Even Montero is on there!

It makes me wonder if the Yankee front office has something to do with this.

Won't be happy if the Tigers lose Peralta for 100 games. He's been having a really good season so far (even if there's been some BABIP related luck involved).

I think the idea of treating these players as having two separate offenses will never work, though. The Players Association might accept 50 game suspensions, but not 100.

Just ban baseball, there are plenty of other equally effective ways to combat insomnia.

like saying ignorant and dumb comments on topics you know nothing about.

After it's revealed that he's really 41 years old.

hey, screw you. you have no idea what it's like down there being poor. none.

I feel like most posters who are fans of teams of potentially suspended players are willing to look the other way in order for their team to win. Something similar to Jon Voight in Varsity Blues when it comes to Billy Bob...

I don't care if they Roid, makes the game more fun. I want to watch play not be saints.

If ARod's been using performance enhancing drugs he's been getting ripped off.

when he was using with the rangers he was a monster.

seems and is are two different things.

3N16MA

Banned
I hope Cano gets nailed.

Going to be hard to prove anything regarding Cano. His name supposedly does not show up on any list. Only the spokeswoman for his foundation has a connection and even then she did not sign any documents. The $300 that was charged to her was consistent with a weight loss program.

3N16MA

Banned
They were clean all the way through. That's just father time taking it's course. They could have had more years if only they took PEDs.

Chase Utley will be remembered as one of the top two players of the 2000s. A-Rod and Cano may have both been cheating.

What?

I would join, but Shit talking about baseball is no fun.

the shallower sports(looking at you NBA) do that because outisde of the game itself they have nothing more to speak about. we have many other topics within/about that are baseball related. we don't resort to childish insults (unless it's the mest) we're in a higher plane.

JABEE

Bonds doesn't count because of teh steroidz.

Utley during his prime had the second best WAR in all of baseball behind only Albert Pujols. Chase Utley was on a great pace before getting injured. I think he's done enough during his time to be among the top players not involved in PEDs.

That's for a different thread though.

the shallower sports(looking at you NBA) do that because outisde of the game itself they have nothing more to speak about. we have many other topics within/about that are baseball related. we don't resort to childish insults (unless it's the mest) we're in a higher plane.
Agreed 90% mental 10% physical! Baseball ftw

3N16MA

Banned
Utley during his prime had the second best WAR in all of baseball behind only Albert Pujols. Chase Utley was on a great pace before getting injured. I think he's done enough during his time to be among the top players not involved in PEDs.

That's for a different thread though.

From 2005-2009 he was a beast but when you look at 2000-2009 (2000s) he will not be remembered as a top 2 player. He did not play from 2000-2002 and did not play full seasons from 2003-2004.

Sephzilla

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the clinic itself even come out and confirm Braun only contacted them for consulting regarding that mess from last off-season? Sounds like MLB's trying to get even for last time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A-Rod is one player I always thought was amazing growing up. This is sad.

You know who didn't use performance enhancement drugs? Ozzy Smith.

Madness

How about they go after the drunk drivers, domestic abusers, and rapists?

Dude what? MLB is going to suspend them, they're not being arrested and charged. And why would MLB go after drunk drivers or abusers?

As for my feelings. I have no qualms with steroids for personal use. You're not competing with anyone, you're not getting paid, you're not cheating trying to improve yourself. But these substances are banned in sports for a reason. It gives certain people an edge that others don't have. Steroids ruined baseball and I blame Selig. He should have nipped this in the bud in the early 90's.

I always knew Braun had something in him.

I think we can all agree 2004 Bonds is one of the greatest seasons a baseball player has ever produced.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
You know what would curtail this ongoing problem with baseball? Lifetime bans. Perm them Bish.

If MLB is cool with doing it to Pete for gambling then they should do it to cheaters.

Madness

I'm pretty sure Griffey was clean throughout his career too... He declined with grace. He didn't start putting your ridiculous stats like others on the juice.

dmag1223

No one outside the "baseball purists", (aka old guys) really care anymore anyway. Just let them all use.

I do have to laugh when non baseball fans come into these threads and act like this is only a baseball issue. Do people really think this isn't going on in other sports, particularly the NFL?

How about they go after the drunk drivers, domestic abusers, and rapists?

LaRussa_DUI.jpg

Madness

No one outside the "baseball purists", (aka old guys) really care anymore anyway. Just let them all use.

I do have to laugh when non baseball fans come into these threads and act like this is only a baseball issue. Do people really think this isn't going on in other sports, particularly the NFL?

It affects every sport from MMA, NFL, NBA, NHL, rugby, soccer, track and field, swimming etc.

Fuck that, about letting steroids slide in competition sports. Where does it end? What's the accountability? It'll become like modern bodybuilding, where no one who is natural even has a chance.

And if steroids are allowed, you know how harmful they are to health? Kids and teens would start using as well. Put up huge stats in their teen years so they get selected early etc.

If anything, lifetime bans from the HoF, invalidating their stats etc. Would be a start.

entremet

Aren't all athletes on PEDs on some form of the other. Testing is joke. Look at the professional cycling and all Lance Armstrong got away with for so long. When we're talking about millions of dollars, don't be surprised if people do anything to get a competitive advantage and then you're talking about sports that abuse the body like football, and the super long seasons of hockey and basketball?

And even if they don't take roids, what about drugs that help in recovery like HGH? They cat is out of the bag and has been since the 60s.

It affects every sport from MMA, NFL, NBA, NHL, rugby, soccer, track and field, swimming etc.

Fuck that, about letting steroids slide in competition sports. Where does it end? What's the accountability? It'll become like modern bodybuilding, where no one who is natural even has a chance.

And if steroids are allowed, you know how harmful they are to health? Kids and teens would start using as well. Put up huge stats in their teen years so they get selected early etc.

If anything, lifetime bans from the HoF, invalidating their stats etc. Would be a start.

Bodybuilding became a freak show because the mass monsters started winning shows. So aspiring body builders followed the money.

Those other sports don't just require mass to succeed. Heck look at Lance Armstrong, juiced to the gills, but he looked like a normal cyclist.

I'm sure the little kids from central and south america who grew up without a penny to their name give a shit about the HoF and stats when it means a shot at tens of millions of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom