• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Malo

Banned
It's been a nice bounceback year for Sanchez. He's probably going to get moved, but I wonder if there's anyway the Yankees hold on to him.
Yankees prefer defensive catchers, which Gary is not. Plus McCann has 3 years left on his deal with a NTC, and John Ryan Murphy had a good season as a backup catcher. I'd honestly be surprised if Gary is still with the organization next season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Lzp0u12.jpg

thefro

I could see a Soler/Baez combo. maybe to San Diego or Atlanta. Not sure about Heyward though. The NLCS is proof that the Cubs need more hitting for average and not long ball hitters.

The Cubs' weakness is their team strikeout rate. They need to add a veteran or two who 1) doesn't suck, 2) has a good approach at the plate and walks, but 3) makes contact and is hard to strike out. They can bridge the gap while they wait for the rookies to improve in this area.

Heyward's K% is pretty good at 14.7% last year, so he'd fit the bill.

Obviously they need a couple starters too, and probably one should be of the elite/near-elite variety. One more bullpen arm would be "nice to have", but they could add that in a deadline trade.

I think the NLCS would be different if Rizzo and Bryant hadn't struggled. Not saying we would have won, but we would probably at least won one game. My dream scenario this offseason would be Soler to the Braves for Teheran, resign Fowler, sign Heyward, and sign Zimmerman. That's a lot of $$$ though. So a few of those happening would be fine. Also kinda hesitant on trading Soler as his ceiling is very high.

Beckx

Confirmed: Nexen Heroes of the KBO are posting Byung-ho Park. 1B, 53 home runs and 146 RBIs this season. Jung-ho Kang also played for Nexen and they have the same agent. Wonder if the Bucs have an in here.

In stranger news, the Tokyo Yakult Swallows have posted their closer, former Diamondback Tony Barnette. 41 saves this year and was basically automatic, key for the Swallows to get to the Japan series. He is only the second foreign player to be posted. Not sure what's up here, it's weird. $500,000 posting fee to negotiate with him. Edit: oh, Barnette asked for it.

"I am thankful for the chance to pursue my dreams of playing in the Majors. I am also thankful to the organization that provided me with support over the last few years. I want to show the organization my appreciation, I don't want to just say good bye and leave through free agency. I want to use the posting system to help me with my decisions.

"When I played baseball in Japan, I focused on that and did my best. But somewhere in the back of my mind, I still thought about the Majors. I'm lucky to even be in a situation where I can include it as an option. I think the things I did with the Swallows helped me get here.

"I can't even begin to describe my appreciation [to the fans for their support]. I will never forget their strong cheers during the Climax Series and Nippon Series.

"Thank you."

The Swallows received a request from Barnette to be posted to the Majors on October 14. The organization accepted, even though they had asked him to return next season. They still plan on continuing negotiations with Barnette, in case he does not reach an agreement with an MLB team through the posting system.

Matayoshi Son - the owner of Japan Series champs Softbank Hawks - is also the chairman of Sprint, which is based in Kansas City. He wants to have a game between the Hawks and the Royals. While it would be fun I don't think I can take the deluge of "this is for Pearl Harbor" comments getting retweeted on twitter. (Royals should obviously win the game but if they didn't take it seriously, the Hawks lineup is good enough to beat them.)

So did the Nats actually officially hire Bud Black? I read so much about it last week but nothing that I saw was from the team. Maybe now that the WS is over they will make it official.

thefro

So did the Nats actually officially hire Bud Black? I read so much about it last week but nothing that I saw was from the team. Maybe now that the WS is over they will make it official.

They don't announce those sorts of moves during the World Series as to not "overshadow the World Series". You'll see the official announcements for those changes in the next couple weeks.

They don't announce those sorts of moves during the World Series as to not "overshadow the World Series". You'll see the official announcements for those changes in the next couple weeks.

Makes sense. I guess it is similar to the Marlins/Mattingly situation.

squall211

Gung Ho on Murph during the NL playoffs and now want him out? Lol!!

Realistic Met fans know what Daniel Murphy is: a pretty good hitter, a below average fielder, and a below average base runner. Having a monster NLDS/NLCS doesn't change that.

I'm more than fine with letting Murphy walk. Hopefully the Mets make him a qualifying offer that he declines, so that we can get a draft pick for him leaving.

I hope the Met brass realizes that with such a monster starting rotation, defense needs to be prioritized this offseason.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So thank god Torii retired, I can be excited for offseason rosterbation!

- Twins' biggest needs are probably catcher, SP, and bullpen. SS is next up, but I think Escobar can probably hold that down okay for a year or two. Catcher is a black hole of suck, the rotation is hot trash, and the bullpen is pretty sucky.
- No idea what the Brewers want for Lucroy, but that's where I'd start looking for a catcher. If you can get him without giving up Berrios, Sano, or Buxton (mayyybe Stewart), go for it.
- I'd look into trading Plouffe to leave the DH position open. He's a decent 3B with some power, and I like the guy, but it helps roster crunch if they can move him.
- Listen on Rosario and Dozier. If someone will fleece themselves (e.g., like when you all traded Garza for Delmon!) don't be afraid to make a move.
- Let Boyer, Cotts, Pelfrey, and for the love of fuck Duensing walk.
- Don't give up on Arcia yet. I'm frightened they're going to trade him for pennies on the dollar. Give him one more shot. DH him a couple of days a week and platoon him with Hicks at the plate, and have Hicks fill in as a defensive replacement in late innings. If he fails, he fails.
- Try to get Nolasco off the team in a bad contract swap. Maybe for an extra outfielder, or a different starter.
- Use May as a starter. They really, really need another starter. I'd be over the moon if they signed Zimmerman. Santana, May, Gibson are about all I trust, and most of those guys are back of the rotation guys. Hughes might be able to turn it around, so put him in there. Everyone else is pretty much fungible. Berrios needs to be up by June. Give him a light workload in AAA so he isn't tapped out for innings in September and (hopefully) October.

So thank god Torii retired, I can be excited for offseason rosterbation!

- Twins' biggest needs are probably catcher, SP, and bullpen. SS is next up, but I think Escobar can probably hold that down okay for a year or two. Catcher is a black hole of suck, the rotation is hot trash, and the bullpen is pretty sucky.
- No idea what the Brewers want for Lucroy, but that's where I'd start looking for a catcher. If you can get him without giving up Berrios, Sano, or Buxton (mayyybe Stewart), go for it.
- I'd look into trading Plouffe to leave the DH position open. He's a decent 3B with some power, and I like the guy, but it helps roster crunch if they can move him.
- Listen on Rosario and Dozier. If someone will fleece themselves (e.g., like when you all traded Garza for Delmon!) don't be afraid to make a move.
- Let Boyer, Cotts, Pelfrey, and for the love of fuck Duensing walk.
- Don't give up on Arcia yet. I'm frightened they're going to trade him for pennies on the dollar. Give him one more shot. DH him a couple of days a week and platoon him with Hicks at the plate, and have Hicks fill in as a defensive replacement in late innings. If he fails, he fails.
- Try to get Nolasco off the team in a bad contract swap. Maybe for an extra outfielder, or a different starter.
- Use May as a starter. They really, really need another starter. I'd be over the moon if they signed Zimmerman. Santana, May, Gibson are about all I trust, and most of those guys are back of the rotation guys. Hughes might be able to turn it around, so put him in there. Everyone else is pretty much fungible. Berrios needs to be up by June. Give him a light workload in AAA so he isn't tapped out for innings in September and (hopefully) October.

Hicks finished off pretty good last season. so you want a starting OF of Rosario, Buxton, and Arcia? or maybe i'm missing someone

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hicks finished off pretty good last season. so you want a starting OF of Rosario, Buxton, and Arcia? or maybe i'm missing someone
Ideally, Rosario, Buxton, and Hicks/Arcia in a platoon. Hicks' OPS against RHP is over 200 points lower than it is against LHP. Arcia's OPS against RHP is over 200 points higher than it is against LHP. I'd start Arcia and Hicks about 3 times a week in the field each, trying to play to their strengths. I'd want Hicks to finish the game as a defensive replacement/PH when they bring in a LOOGY to face Arcia. Of course, this leaves out Kepler who could also be special (and is why I'd be more than happy to listen on Rosario who is good but has zero strike zone control).

If they don't want to give up the OF defense (and this is a legitimately great thing to have after years of statues in the OF), Arcia and Pinto could be very interesting platoon DH partners. I'd just rather not be in the situation where the best bullet off your bench is Chris Fucking Herrmann or Eduardo Fucking Nunez.

Also, if they don't carry 15 pitchers, they could have a much better selection of position players. Ideally, I'd love the roster to look like this near the end of the year:

C: Anyone but Suzuki (Lucroy, other trade target)
1B: Mauer
2B: Dozier
3B: Sano
SS: Escobar
RF: Rosario
CF: Buxton
LF: Hicks
DH: Pinto/Arcia true platoon

Bench: Kepler, Pinto/Arcia, Nunez or Santana, Suzuki (if you don't trust Pinto behind the plate twice a week, and I'm guessing they don't), Vargas

BFIB

Congrats Royals GAF!!!!

So we can all expect Mattingly to be fired before Opening Day right?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Lucas Sims.

Lost faith in Christian Bethancourt?

Done deal.

Yeah, a little bit. He still needs more playing time at the MLB level, but it doesn't seem like he can do anything well. He has excellent pop times but he can't frame, block, receive, call a game, or hit or draw walks or hit for power. So...

Since it's never too early to start planning Spring Training trips...

SpringTrainingOnline has early schedules posted for the Cactus and Grapefruit leagues.

Weekend of March 5-6 looks great with MIL@OAK at the renovated Mesa field (great tailgating), and LAD@SF in Scottsdale (best party outfield in baseball).

March 26-27 looks good too. SF@CHC, the new Cubs yard is fantastic if very crowded, and KC@OAK.

Can't wait.

JoseDFrog

Banned
On my way to work:
3 Yankee Hats
0 Los Mests

Congrats Royals; Mets, way to let the city down.

Fuck Knuckleballers

To do list for the Cardinals:

Resign Heyward.
Find backup middle infielder.

That's about it. Maybe a better backup catcher. Try to find a non roster spring training invite like a Neshek or Villanueva too

rando14

Welcome everyone, just a reminder that the Mariners now hold the longest Post-season drought!! I demand respect from everyone here :cool:

Welcome everyone, just a reminder that the Mariners now hold the longest Post-season drought!! I demand respect from everyone here :cool:

How do the Mariners actually get any better though?

All the core offensive players are on the wrong side of 27. Mark Trumbo and Seth Smith are both under contract for another year.

There's some nice young pitching on the club, but the Mariners still look like at least 3 big pieces away from really competing?

Top Bottom