• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
You're right. I just checked on Fangraphs. Could've sworn it had Cano by a half point as recently as yesterday. Poop. Michigan sportswriters would set the nation on fire if Cabrera finishes third in voting.
It'll be half a point difference after tonight if not more. But yeah, I agree with windu.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I generally flat out ignore defensive metrics and go with Tango Tiger fan ratings at the end of the season... I don't think defensive metrics are there. Maybe with HitFx.
I try to look at Defensive Runs Saved and UZR in three year samples and just general scouting reports (those are hard to find though). Basically just come to the conclusion if this guy is a above average fielder or below average. And yeah I think there is something coming out called field fx or whatever, supposed to be a whole lot more accurate. But odds are the data won't be released to the general public.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Damn BJ thats some heartbreaking stuff to watch. Even with all the ups and downs you shall be missed.

Unless you sign with the Yankees. Then fuck you!

Zee-Row

Banned
What the heck ever became of Scott Kazmir? The Angels paid him big money and then he disappeared off the face of the earth!

RBH

Rush hour in the ATL will be even busier this week when baseball’s first-ever Wild Card game is played at Turner Field.

The Braves plan to have 45,000 foam tomahawks chopping in unison when they face St. Louis on Friday at 5:07 p.m. in the National League Wild Card game, to be televised nationally on TBS. The winner of the single-game playoff will advance to a best-of-five division series against Washington that begins Sunday in Atlanta or St. Louis, with a starting time to be announced.

Kris Medlen, who is 9-0 with a 0.97 ERA in 12 starts since moving from Atlanta’s bullpen, will start Friday against Cardinals right-hander Kyle Lohse (16-3, 2.86 ERA).

The first 45,000 ticket-holders through the gates will get a free foam tomahawk. Braves parking lots are sold out and will open five hours before the game, while stadium gates will open at 2:07 p.m., three hours before the first pitch. Country singer Travis Tritt, a Marietta native, will sing the national anthem.

The only tickets left for Friday’s game as of Wednesday afternoon were standing-room only tickets ($18) and single-game suite tickets ($100, which includes a $25 food and beverage credit). Those are available online at www.braves.com/postseason, or at the Turner Field ticket windows beginning at 8:30 a.m. Fans can also pick up pre-purchased tickets at the ticket windows, which will stay open until the end of the sixth inning.

The Braves strongly urge fans to arrive early, and for those who haven’t already purchased parking passes to take MARTA to the game. The MARTA Braves shuttle will run beginning 90 minutes before the first pitch from the Underground Atlanta/Five Points station, and continue until one hour after the game’s final out.

If the Braves advance to the division series, Games 1 and 2 would be at Turner Field Sunday and Monday. Fans can purchase tickets in postseason strips by calling 404-577-9100, or single-game tickets online at www.braves.com/postseason

Link

The Autumn Wind
Really surprised they didn't let Kershaw go out for the 9th to try to overtake Dickey in strikeouts. I think he's got the Cy wrapped up either way, though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I still don't see the Sox spending a lot of that money foolishly this offseason. It'll be best for them to look at pitching.
not really much aviable this offseason to be honest. there is grienke, which I think the angels will resign. Hamilton, who is injury prone. Bourn, his game is based on speed and I think in a few years his numbers will go down a lot. Then there is Upton and I guess Swisher. Not really a huge FA besides Grienke that I would want to go all out on.
The Braves plan to have 45,000 foam tomahawks chopping in unison
unison? ha yeah right. No way they can do that. I don't know if any of you have been to turner and have looked around while people do the chop, its all over the place. No one does it at the same time.

beast786

Cabrera and Cano are basically identical in fWAR. With UZR being fluky in one year samples and with it not really liking Cano in previous years I would go with Cabrera over Cano since Cabrera has been the better offensive player and those statistics are more reliable.

Imagine if Cabrera played for Yankees in that ballpark.

Fenix

not really much aviable this offseason to be honest. there is grienke, which I think the angels will resign. Hamilton, who is injury prone. Bourn, his game is based on speed and I think in a few years his numbers will go down a lot. Then there is Upton and I guess Swisher. Not really a huge FA besides Grienke that I would want to go all out on.
I I was looking for pitching (and hey, I am!) my main targets would be Greinke and Edwin Jackson.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm proud of the Rays , 4 out of the last 5 years they get into the 90 win area. Not bad for a small market team. I just hope that Tampa or St Pete deliver that new stadium soon. They deserve it.

jman2050

After sucking the big one in July and August, Yankees rebound with a 20-11 Sept/Oct. And they needed every one of those wins since the Orioles matched that mark exactly.

Malo

Banned
When we choke, we do it in the ALCS, and not the regular season, like boston and texas.

Champions of the AL BEAST

6.0 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 7 Ks, 0 HRs

Not bad for Shelby Miller's first major league start. Cards have quite a bit of pitching depth heading into 2013 - which makes the Westbrook extension even more of a head-scratcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom