• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

sh1fty

No don't give these crooks your money

Trust me. Not worth it
unless you're lucky ass Rommel.
99% guaranteed you will end in disappointment (I'm actually not exaggerating with that number)

Yeah, I most likely won't... I just finished conquest last night so I'll work towards grinding out those Command missions and see how I feel with my team afterwards.

Alright so I've gotten burned by the last 200+ packs I've opened. It might not be over 200 but it damn sure feels that way. It got to a point where I'd put up orders of bronzes/commons that are worth 60+ stubs, and if you do the math that'll get you a pack. I'd get a card here and there that would enable me to buy more, and so forth. But buying more never got me anything. I haven't finished TB or MIA collections and I've had an Archer, Yelich, and Stanton fall into my lap. Sold all those for more packs, got dick in return.

As yall can tell, putting up orders of bronzes and commons for the sake of buying one pack = tedious. So last night I just ate a bunch of them to feed my CAP, but left alone players the team epics that I eventually care to do. And now I'm sort of stuck in a place where acquiring a Jansen or any other diamond I want feels so far away, but my only means of acquiring those cards is to win BR (Still hasn't happened this year) or to get really lucky with a post game reward. I see a few thousand stubs lying around and don't know if I want to add to the disappointment or to just hang on and be patient accumulate over time...

Rommel

Buying packs is truly a fools errand. I have been lucky but also I'm a complete sucker for baseball card packs and always have been. It's also why I'm a sucker for slot machines lol

Buying packs is truly a fools errand. I have been lucky but also I'm a complete sucker for baseball card packs and always have been. It's also why I'm a sucker for slot machines lol

Yeah, I know that I for sure have a hidden gambling addiction inside of me that's waiting to blossom (It might already have) I mean, the next two packs I open COULD BE THE ONE!!!

But really, how am I supposed to acquire Jansen, Sale, Betances, Chapman? Those are the only 4 I really care about---Trout and Harper, I guess they'll be out of my league this year.

Rommel

Speaking of the next one being the one. Had stubs I had built up after finishing a couple career stats missions. Bought another 20 pack...

xzz1Wkp.png

YOU GOT ANOTHER FUCKING ARENADO?

Listen Rommel I know you secretly work for SDS, your tricks ain't gonna work on me anymore.

OMG THAT WAS YOUR TOPPER?

Help me set my lineup.

C. CAP 99 overall Switch hitter
1B. Votto
2B. D. Murphy
SS. Seager
3B. Arenado
LF. Jason Werth 91
CF. Dawson
RF. Harper

My only stipulation is Dawson leads off. My preliminary lineup last night before bed was:

Dawson
Seager
Votto
Arenado
Harper
Werth
CAP
Murphy
Pitcher

When they make Harpers contact better against lefties, I would move him up to something like this.

Dawson
Votto
Harper
Arenado
Seager
Werth
CAP
Murphy
P

Good? Change anything?

Help me set my lineup.

C. CAP 99 overall Switch hitter
1B. Votto
2B. D. Murphy
SS. Seager
3B. Arenado
LF. Jason Werth 91
CF. Dawson
RF. Harper

My only stipulation is Dawson leads off. My preliminary lineup last night before bed was:

I would probably do this:

1. Dawson
2. Seager
3. CAP
4. Harper
5. Arenado
6. Votto
7. Werth
8. Murphy

Huh, I noticed you put your CAP pretty low in the lineup---any reason for that?

Rommel

Went home for lunch to get a game in (nice living 2 minutes from work) and finally finished the Rangers 1 HR 6 RBI's and a walk mission for Nelson Cruz in a 21-0 wacking of Miami. Came out of the game and saw my Nolan had sold so I bought a 50 pack. Below are the highlights

I would probably do this:

1. Dawson
2. Seager
3. CAP
4. Harper
5. Arenado
6. Votto
7. Werth
8. Murphy

Huh, I noticed you put your CAP pretty low in the lineup---any reason for that?

I feel like in my mind, I attach personality to each of my players. Like I want them to do good. Like 94 Ripken didn't perform and that guy was cut. Goldshmidt couldn't hit righties good so he was cut. My created player has no value to anyone but me in the game. I just felt like my intensity for him wasn't where it needed to be at the top of the lineup. Like I didn't concentrate with him as good up there. In the 7 hole, I put no stress on him, just relax and hit and he performs. Basically, it's all mental.

ukas

Went home for lunch to get a game in (nice living 2 minutes from work) and finally finished the Rangers 1 HR 6 RBI's and a walk mission for Nelson Cruz in a 21-0 wacking of Miami. Came out of the game and saw my Nolan had sold so I bought a 50 pack. Below are the highlights

Three more Diamonds? Gimme a break.

sh1fty

That was just throwing on the pile. I bought 10 @ 7k

Out of curiosity, have you dumped much real $ in this year? Or are you mainly just grinding the market and keeping things rolling with the insane pack luck?

Last year I got lucky and was rewarded Arrieta as my daily login which lead to alot of packs being opened as I was able to keep the train rolling a bit with some nice subsequent pulls.

I think my pack mojo is bad this year so I'll continue to hope for a lucky post-game or login reward.

Love when I score 5 runs in an inning to take a 6-1 lead, then the guy pauses it for a minute, screen goes black and I get the loss....

I'm one homerun away from 92 Griffey, yay

Rommel I mean this with all my love

Go fuck yourself

Also I'm not going to say these players' names, but let's just say there are quite a few where if they go gold, I will be in a lovely position

Not quite owning 1300 Lance McCullers position, but still nice...

beanman25

Ah guys! Finally got to 9 wins in the event. Lost after that, but it's a big step. I've switched from playing on a 55 inch 4k to a 24 inch old tv and am getting over half of the input lag cut off. It's made me a much better player, and I can't even imagine what a monitor would do!

Proceeded to win the 1st game in my next event run 7-0. Killebrew had 2 jacks!!

Rommel

Out of curiosity, have you dumped much real $ in this year? Or are you mainly just grinding the market and keeping things rolling with the insane pack luck?

Last year I got lucky and was rewarded Arrieta as my daily login which lead to alot of packs being opened as I was able to keep the train rolling a bit with some nice subsequent pulls.

I think my pack mojo is bad this year so I'll continue to hope for a lucky post-game or login reward.

I dumped about $300 into the game at the very beginning. I got lucky with draws and sold 90% of my golds/silvers while they were at peak prices. I do miss the days when you could get 30-40k for a gold card. I was able to churn out a lot of packs because of that.

I also play the market and pick my investments. Right now I'm sort of cursed because any player I've invested in has gone on the DL it seems (Sanchez, Carcasco, Keuchel) but I have some lower level stuff that I've accumulated 50-75 cards (Fulmer, Garcia, Pineda, Nova, Conforto, Giles).

I check the MLB leaderboards and look for players who might be undervalued based on their stats and if the price is low enough I'll invest.

Rommel

Rommel I mean this with all my love

Go fuck yourself

Also I'm not going to say these players' names, but let's just say there are quite a few where if they go gold, I will be in a lovely position

Not quite owning 1300 Lance McCullers position, but still nice...

Always feeling the love ;)

That was nuts seeing the guys screen shot of quick selling over 1200 McCullers. 1.2 mil stubs... yeash

I love it when you go into a game and the opponent concedes immediately

I think they want to sell a card that is on their team or they are going for 12 wins and quitting after getting their first loss early. That's what I did once I hit 9 wins, would quit if I lost before 6 games.

I'm so happy for you. You deserve it!

Thank you!

And even in my ecstasy I still find a way to hate on Rommel. I still need 3 more diamonds to finish the Nationals, god damn it!

Probably going to sell him and get a Sale, Jansen, and finish Rangers or something.

Thank you!

And even in my ecstasy I still find a way to hate on Rommel. I still need 3 more diamonds to finish the Nationals, god damn it!

Probably going to sell him and get a Sale, Jansen, and finish Rangers or something.

The way he keeps playing he is going 99. Then he will be up there with Trout going for over 300k.

The way he keeps playing he is going 99. Then he will be up there with Trout going for over 300k.

Yeah I'm glad to be in a position where it's hard to decide what to do with him

Selling it to round out everything else sounds most correct now, but I'm going to just focus on grinding a little more and playing, and hoping I get lucky again along the way.

Rommel

Thank you!

Feeling the love!

Congratz btw!

lmao... well no new Diamond pulls tonight. Although I did finish the Archer mission which netted me Vida Blue so that was nice.

I'd probably finish the Nats if I were you. Dawson is an end game player, just unstoppable.

Feeling the love!

Congratz btw!

lmao... well no new Diamond pulls tonight. Although I did finish the Archer mission which netted me Vida Blue so that was nice.

I'd probably finish the Nats if I were you. Dawson is an end game player, just unstoppable.

Yeah I'm planning on keeping him for a little bit for that Dawson reason, I'm going to do some Epic III missions and hope somewhere along the way I nab another diamond. I like my options. I can sell Harper and finish the Dodgers (Already got Kershaw/Seager), get Chris Sale, and still have 70K left over to do what I want like finish Rangers/Rays/Marlins Epics or another mid-tier diamond of my choice.

But man, a Dawson/Griffey/CAP outfield would be nuts on defense.

I hate you

But I did hit a dinger in my first AB with 92 Griffey in ranked season yay

That's got to be an amazing feeling. I'm working on that after I take care of events. That 10 hr 22 RBI mission is going to be a bitch.....

Rommel

That's got to be an amazing feeling. I'm working on that after I take care of events. That 10 hr 22 RBI mission is going to be a bitch.....

Hasn't been too bad so far. In 4 ranked games yesterday I got 2 HR's and 5 RBI. Finished the 8 HR's in 8 games in BR also yesterday. Finished it because starting today they are having BR set to Hall of Fame difficultly instead of All-Star which would make that a bit harder.

Yeah I'm definitely going to start doing ranked games once events is over. I've got a BR team currently sitting 4-0 and I'm probably not getting to 12 anyways and will not play BR again until Pepe is removed...that was a bad decision.

I couldn't even get to 12 in events. I hit 10-1 but I keep taking terrible losses where I lose because of an error or because I hit a game where I've played too much and I don't care about discipline lol

Rommel

Threw a perfect game last night with Blue w/18k's. Granted it was against the Phillies but still he is a beast.

Playing against All-Star Dodgers, they got Ryu pitching. First AB for Harper is a homer to deep center. Second AB is a homer to right.

Fuck I just might keep him lol

Rommel

Playing against All-Star Dodgers, they got Ryu pitching. First AB for Harper is a homer to deep center. Second AB is a homer to right.

Fuck I just might keep him lol

My stats with him are nuts... I'm hitting something like .550 with 10 HR's in 35 AB's

I've skipped the show the last couple of years but have decided to jump back in for 2017. Before starting what mode is this everyone is talking about? Diamond dynasty? Can some summarize how this mode works?

Qwyjibo

I've skipped the show the last couple of years but have decided to jump back in for 2017. Before starting what mode is this everyone is talking about? Diamond dynasty? Can some summarize how this mode works?

I was just about to post the same thing. I played 2015, skipped last year, back for this year's version and I've never touched DD. Is it just online multiplayer with super-teams?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I was just about to post the same thing. I played 2015, skipped last year, back for this year's version and I've never touched DD. Is it just online multiplayer with super-teams?

It's like ultimate team in FIFA or madden basically. You collect players from missions, packs, buying them on the community market and use them to play games in conquest mode or just against the CPU or against other players

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sounds like a baseball pokemon rpg. Can't wait to try.

Man ... I kinda wish there was a feeding leveling system like other games lol. Only thing you can do with extras is trade them in for the few exchange missions or sell them basically. overall though it still has a lot more depth than Madden mainly because there's some more single player content with it

I wonder if they'll just ever branch out diamond dynasty to be its own thing completely. Like actual iOS app with functionality, a separate card game, that ties back into the PS4 game or something

And yeah if you're going to get into it now starting with the single player options is probably a good idea

Rommel, I swear to Sixto Lezcano I really want to block you forever.

But I can't, because we need to do sweet deals in OOTP.

I'm really torn about this.

Finish Conquest first before spending money on stubs. This will give you a number of packs to open and also get you a good starting set of diamond players as you finish the conquest missions.

Got it Rommel. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to start this tonight. I hope I have as good luck as you do with the packs!

Man ... I kinda wish there was a feeding leveling system like other games lol. Only thing you can do with extras is trade them in for the few exchange missions or sell them basically. overall though it still has a lot more depth than Madden mainly because there's some more single player content with it

I wonder if they'll just ever branch out diamond dynasty to be its own thing completely. Like actual iOS app with functionality, a separate card game, that ties back into the PS4 game or something

And yeah if you're going to get into it now starting with the single player options is probably a good idea

Is the single player like the entire game or do they put you in situations like RTTS and you need to do a certain task?

Rommel

Rommel, I swear to Sixto Lezcano I really want to block you forever.

But I can't, because we need to do sweet deals in OOTP.

I'm really torn about this.

lol well I can stop posting my pulls like I did for awhile. But to put it in perspective for folks, I've probably opened upwards of 3k packs...

Top Bottom