• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

TheNatural

My Member!
Oh for FUCKS SAKE.

The UFC's injury woes continue as Brazilian light heavyweight Thiago Silva has been forced to pull out of July's UFC 149 event in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Luckily for UFC president Dana White, promotional newcomer Glover Teixeira (18-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is both healthy and hungry for a big fight after a scintillating win over Kyle Kingsbury at this past weekend's UFC 146 event.

There's just one problem: According to White, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (20-6 MMA, 4-4 UFC) – Silva's original opponent – won't take the fight.

"With Thiago hurt, we turned to Glover and asked him to go right back in to fight 'Shogun' at UFC 149," White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "But 'Shogun's' people are adamantly refusing to take the fight. They want nothing to do with Glover."

Probably he doesn't want to face some no name shithead because your dumbass scheduled way too many fucking cards Dana.

Seriously? Glover Texeira? I rather see him fight Danny Glover and Mark Texiera.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
LOL..man this is what happens when you get Health insurance for fighters during training..
everyone that gets hurt..is actually coming out and saying hey ya..i'm hurt..where do I sign for my Check?

TheNatural

My Member!
Good point on the insurance, but this has been a problem for a long while anyway.

Dana should offer him Gus. Maybe Glover is an up and comer but he's had one UFC fight, and it offers nothing for Shogun. Gus would be a huge fight, the guy is the biggest up and comer in LHW, so do it.

Don't forget to get your picks in kiddos. Only 3 hours remaining.

Most of my picks are sheer guessing on this one. I don't know/remember 80% of these guys.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The answer is clearly Phil Davis, or is Shogoon too shook?

They're trying to build Phil Davis back up so Shogoon is too dangerous for him. They're basically screwed here unless Rua is willing to fight some can off the street.

Dysun

Scrap Machida vs Bader and put Shogun in there for UFC on Fox

Who wants to see Bader look stupid for 3 rounds anyway

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The LHW division really needs another 2-3 fighters to break through into the Machida/Evans/Shogun/Henderson tier. I feel like those 4 are going to spend the remainder of their careers rematching each other.

TheNatural

My Member!
Are you guys that eager to see the Gus hypetrain derailed?

Well something will either happen in that matchup. Shogun vaults back up to get into position for a title fight, or Gus gets put over as the next challenger for the title.

I'm eager to see a fight that actually MATTERS. Not some fighter who just won his first UFC fight against Kyle Kingsbury coming off a Ricco Rodriguez win before that get a shot.

Or see Shogun beat up an unmotivated 90% retired Rampage, or a third meaningless fight with Machida.

A purpose fight is all I want, Shogun vs. Gus would serve a big purpose and be an exciting fight.

TheNatural

My Member!
i would love to see machida shogun 3. such great scraps.

So let Machida fight this Glover guy. But wait ...

In hopes of prolonging his tenure in the light heavyweight division, Teixeira welcomes all challengers and is prepared to fight anyone.

Unless, of course, that one challenger is Lyoto Machida.

"Right now, the one I wouldn't want to fight is Lyoto Machida," he said. "I've trained with him, I help him out and he's a great guy. Whatever they tell me to do, I'll do, but if I could have a say, Lyoto would be the one I wouldn't want to fight."

TheNatural

My Member!
How about:

Shogun vs. Gus
Machida vs. Davis
Rashad vs. Glover

Actually make some fights to set some stuff up down the road. We'll see if some of the younger contenders are better than the established vets to set them selves up for a shot. If the established vets just fight one another over and over again, no one knows who from who - it's just a bunch of guys Jones has destroyed fighting one another to see who's best among themselves.

Heel

Nedkov vs. Glover.

iloXUmLplYJns.gif

ShaneB

At this point it makes as much sense to just schedule Royal Rumbles for every card. Whoever isn't injured come fight night gets to battle it out for a title shot at Wrestlemania.

Did nobody ask Dana why Shogun wouldn't take the fight? I kept reading MMAjunkie's article expecting to see a reason at some point.

Heel

Did nobody ask Dana why Shogun wouldn't take the fight? I kept reading MMAjunkie's article expecting to see a reason at some point.

No idea, but I like how Uncle Dana aired them out in public. Pretty clear it was an intentional move to leverage the fanbase to put a fight together and to discouraging fighters/management from politrickin'.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
No idea, but I like how Uncle Dana aired them out in public. Pretty clear it was an intentional move to leverage the fanbase to put a fight together and to discouraging fighters/management from politrickin'.

Fighters don't care what fans think. See: Conduit, Carlos

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
what time prelims starting?..looks like Canadian coverage is all messed up..says 7 ..but can't find channel with the main event..looks like rogers sportsnet or sportsnet 1 aren't carrying it

Fifty

what time prelims starting?..looks like Canadian coverage is all messed up..says 7 ..but can't find channel with the main event..looks like rogers sportsnet or sportsnet 1 aren't carrying it

Sportsnet Ontario and East are carrying it at midnight. My guess is that they weren't allowed to air it live due to its limited FX-Canada exclusivity. All season long episodes haven't been live, so why should the finale be any different? Odd that prelims look to be live though.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ahh ya FX-Canada ...a station I can't get..no wonder the times I record the Ultimate Figher have been all over the place.didn't realize that was why sportsnet was delaying it.

dream

From Mr. Meltzer:

Thiago Silva pulled out of his 7/21 fight with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in Calgary due to an injury. UFC suggested Glover Texeira as the replacement but Rua's camp turned it down. Right now, a lot of camps have no interest in facing Texeira because everyone knows he's a top level fighter but the fans don't, so a win over him doesn't get you over and losing to him (a perceived nobody) is a high risk.

Believe me, I've talked with camps and for that reason, he's the guy you want to avoid. I'm guessing all the "Shogun is a pussy" talk has started today among fans who don't get the first thing about business.

Top Bottom