• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2022 Beta Discussion Thread

DonJorginho

Banned
Despite having a good time with the beta in terms of my matches/performances, this is a game I'm definitely gonna wait for a deep discount for.

The maps aren't really doing it for me, the TTK is a smidge too low, and the abhorrent SBMM means that you can't really enjoy yourself like previous CODs, every game almost you have to be using that best loadout and going into full sweat mode and that's not the memories I used to have with previous CODs.

The core pillars of the game are great, but there's just enough little issues in the game overall that have built up to make me not want to pay full price.

Im a little underwhelmed by the maps. The newest one, that huge gallery/art room looks so bland with its light brown colors.

BTW is it just me or did Vanguard have way more demolition/destruction of the map as the match goes? Yes I still see some bullet holes and such but as shit as Vanguard was, I loved the fact by the end of the MP match, insides of buildings are unrecognizable of just how much everything was destroyed, including the furniture.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's COD. Played the beta and as decent.

- Definitely felt slower paced than some recent CODs
- Lightning fast TTK
- Shit beta servers. Getting into a match doesn't work sometimes. Back out and try again. Even getting into MP ("Loading Demonware") didnt even work the first time I tried playing the game
- Invasion mode was OK. Played it a few times on the same map (dont know if there's one map or more). Seemed like lots of human gamers stay back
- Lots of close quarter gunplay (aside from Invasion). If you like SMG and shotgun gameplay, you'll like the normal maps. Lots of indoors and walls everywhere
- Solid production values. Graphics were good. It's COD, dont expect mindbending improvements. Looks way better than Vanguard
- Hard to see enemies. They blend in. Enemy tags are hard to see
- The dumbass post match "pose 'n vote" thing from Vanguard gone. It's just a final killcam clip
- The footsteps are loud. Watching that video days earlier about ultra loud footsteps I didnt understand as his videos didnt show it (what loud footsteps?). But playing the game it's there big and loud

Last edited:
Finally tried this out. Crashes after every game pretty much. The game it didn't crash, it also just refused to finish "loading map" in the lobby screen so it may as well have crashed.

The weapon progression is aggravating just because I'm obviously not going to get around to unlocking anything good by the end of this beta. And so it's hard to say without all the weapon attachments that help speed you up... but yeah, you just feel very unathletic in this game. I love a good tactical shooter but generally that ain't COD.

Lots and lots of console players in the lobbies I did get in. Visibility of players isn't so great but probably not any worse than MW1 which was workable. Getting caught in that console aim assist melt still feels bad. If I play again I will probably turn off the hitmarkers just so I have a better chance of tracking people in a gunfight.

I thought the farm map was pretty dreadful. Didn't have that much of an impression of the other ones. The verticality in these COD maps tend to be pretty random so can't really say if it's actually bad until I understand all the angles. Which won't happen by the end of the beta, so whatever.

The menus didn't bother me that much. They were just a little confusing but since it's pretty similar to MW1 and CW's menus. The quick settings area is a good idea. Just based on impressions I was expecting the menus to be a lot worse.

Other than that, looks good, runs good. No weird frame stutters or hitching. Was getting a solid 175fps on average w/ DLSS and very minor graphics tweaks. I don't hate it, but I have no need for base COD multiplayer, aside from maybe leveling Warzone 2 weapons... didn't try Ground War here but based on MW1's GW mode, I'm not too excited. Still haven't heard anything about my beloved Gunfight mode. Still bitter about the bullshit permaban I got in Cold War so still not predisposed to giving ATVI anymore hard-earned cash just on principal.

Boneless

Ok another thing i really hate about this series is how they will delete your grenade/throwable mid air if you get killed after throwing it. Like have a perfectly lined up thermite throw release it starts to fly but you die so poof your shit vanishes. So dumb.

Do you have proof this is how that works, as I am pretty sure that's not true and it's not how it ever worked on COD.

0neAnd0nly

Do you have proof this is how that works, as I am pretty sure that's not true and it's not how it ever worked on COD.

Don’t want to speak fully for the poster you asked, but the Molotov (at the very least) does this in Modern Warfare 2019. IIRC, it didn’t at launch, but was patched in later.

And yes it is DUMB.

In this game… I think the normal grenades don’t disappear if you get killed and they are in-air… but I could be wrong.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I must admit, I liked the Ground War mode, more than MW 19 version. It feels a lot like BF now, and more polished. I don't like vehicle combat in BF that much so it's almost identical to a BF experience for me(less vehicle, more infantry). And it looks better in PC(shocker) compared to PS4 pro version, with HDR on and better resolution/details thanks to my GPU and monitor. But I still defend my opinion about it's graphics, it could be better.
Invasion mod is also looks cool but I don't want to shoot dumb AI soldiers coming from a lane like creeps in a DOTA game.

God dammit, I bought every other Cod to resist this one but it will be a hard year -or two- for me.

VN1X

Banned
Holy fuck this game feels awful on PC. The fact that you can't turn off AA is an instant... well, turn off. Didn't even complete my first match as I just couldn't be bothered with the spotty performance. The horrible clarity when firing a weapon and sluggish movement just added to the bad taste it left. Honestly, Insurgency Sandstorm feels more arcadey and fluid than this.

I'm going to back to Shatterline.

Last edited:

chigstoke

Holy fuck this game feels awful on PC. The fact that you can't turn off AA is an instant... well, turn off. Didn't even complete my first match as I just couldn't be bothered with the spotty performance. The horrible clarity when firing a weapon and sluggish movement just added to the bad taste it left. Honestly, Insurgency Sandstorm feels more arcadey and fluid than this.

I'm going to back to Shatterline.
Same issue here. Tried the PC version today, 5600x, 3080Ti, 32GB DDR4 (3200), ran like shit, even with DLSS enabled. FWIW I haven't found movement bad in the beta, though I find sliding to not be as effective as '19. Weapon clarity definitely needs tweaking.
Tried setting affinity to different modes and priority for app, didn't improve owt.

There is the Geforce Experience beta that's released though that supposedly helps thanks to the new Win 11 update, so I'm gonna try again later and see if it fixed the sluggish performance and low fps. If the full game releases like this though, I'll be grabbing it on PS5 initially.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Big dogs?

It’s not an excuse, I’m just saying that a new formula is ok. How many wash, rinse, repeat CoD do people want? You can still play 3 CoD games with live servers with older physics.

An update to everything is ok. I like the freshness, personally.

I was just being cheeky lol didn’t come across well in my post.

flying_sq

From what I can tell vs MW19, people are camping way more. I tried TDM, dom, and Invasion, and just getting destroyed around a random corner.

Sub_Level

I’m glad they seem to be ditching night maps. Ground War and Gunfight had their niche fans but I don’t know ANYONE who liked night mode. It was bad in CoD4, bad in WaW, basically its never been good lol unless its a lit interior map/city (like Plaza in Black Ops 2).

Groundwar is a poor man's battlefield. Regular pvp is the same old CoD.
I reinstalled MW 2019 and I was so bored playing the campaign. Doubt the new campaing will be any different. This is not for me. I'm out.

flying_sq

I’m glad they seem to be ditching night maps. Ground War and Gunfight had their niche fans but I don’t know ANYONE who liked night mode. It was bad in CoD4, bad in WaW, basically its never been good lol unless its a lit interior map/city (like Plaza in Black Ops 2).
I liked night mode, wouldn't mind it as a rotating playlist

splattered

Don’t want to speak fully for the poster you asked, but the Molotov (at the very least) does this in Modern Warfare 2019. IIRC, it didn’t at launch, but was patched in later.

And yes it is DUMB.

In this game… I think the normal grenades don’t disappear if you get killed and they are in-air… but I could be wrong.

LMAO no i don't have proof, i haven't recorded it and i'm not about to play a bunch of matches trying to replicate it, but it's definitely a thing. As said above by multiple people i believe grenades still toss but for some reason other throwables vanish mid air after thrown if you die before it hits an enemy. I've seen it TONS of times and watched kill cams to get different perspective and yeah enemy kills me i see the thermite or whatever leave my hand but then i fall down dead and the enemy runs off never getting hit by whatever i threw.

0neAnd0nly

I was just being cheeky lol didn’t come across well in my post.

You’re good dude, for some reason the internet feels so serious lately that I always take everything at face value ha.

I wasn’t trying to be rude with my reply anyway, “you can still play” wasn’t literally directed at YOU, I meant it as a general “you” (eg: someone wanting the old style). It comes off poorly in text when I re-read it, ha.

Last edited:

Crew511A

Despite having a good time with the beta in terms of my matches/performances, this is a game I'm definitely gonna wait for a deep discount for.

The maps aren't really doing it for me, the TTK is a smidge too low, and the abhorrent SBMM means that you can't really enjoy yourself like previous CODs, every game almost you have to be using that best loadout and going into full sweat mode and that's not the memories I used to have with previous CODs.

The core pillars of the game are great, but there's just enough little issues in the game overall that have built up to make me not want to pay full price.

That's where I'm at too. I like it much better than MW2019, but it's still a sweat fest. Maps are still too wide open, and the low TTK encourages camping. I'll pick it up for 50 bucks.

Reallink

How does a game with unlimited resources somehow manage to make the worst menus and UI in modern history? How do people this objectively incompetent ever manage to get hired in the first place? It's worse than a high school computer class project.

Last edited:
How does a game with unlimited resources somehow manage to make the worst menus and UI in modern history? How do people this objectively incompetent ever manage to get hired in the first place? It's worse than a high school computer class project.
It is pretty bad. The old one worked great, not sure why they changed it.

JimRyanGOAT

Serious Question?

Has there ever been a Multiplayer COD game with good visibility?

Its trying too hard to be a movie-like experience with smoke emanating in the light, dark corners creating contrast, and muzzle flash lighting up rooms.

But its hard to see where my enemy is when we're both shooting at each other...

Crew511A

Yes maybe. I don't like the mini map change either but it saves me using a suppressor.

Well...yeah but then what is the point of even having suppressors in the game? Things like loud footsteps and red dots on the radar had counters in the past. IW is "fixing" things that aren't broke.

At heart this has to potential to be a really good game, but IW's bullheaded "innovation" really hurts it.

recursive

Same issue here. Tried the PC version today, 5600x, 3080Ti, 32GB DDR4 (3200), ran like shit, even with DLSS enabled. FWIW I haven't found movement bad in the beta, though I find sliding to not be as effective as '19. Weapon clarity definitely needs tweaking.
Tried setting affinity to different modes and priority for app, didn't improve owt.

There is the Geforce Experience beta that's released though that supposedly helps thanks to the new Win 11 update, so I'm gonna try again later and see if it fixed the sluggish performance and low fps. If the full game releases like this though, I'll be grabbing it on PS5 initially.
My specs are similar except a 5800x and I have had no issues with performance. Playing at 1440p, all settings maxed, DLSS set to quality and getting a solid 120fps. I still have some headroom that I could try to push closer to 144fps but haven't tried yet.

Well...yeah but then what is the point of even having suppressors in the game? Things like loud footsteps and red dots on the radar had counters in the past. IW is "fixing" things that aren't broke.

At heart this has to potential to be a really good game, but IW's bullheaded "innovation" really hurts it.
what ya do,

It's the only COD we are getting for 2 years and it will be supported. They will nerf some stuff and fix others. Pre ordered and I always get the best value over the year with COD games.

wipeout364

Enjoyed the small amount of time I played. Really liked the Farm 18 Map, not so much the art gallery one, hotel map is decent. Gameplay is what I expected which is good. I like SBMM so it’s a non issue for me, also I haven’t really had any issues with the UI, seems pretty clear to me.

TTK is low doesn’t feel substantially different from Cold War or Vanguard.

Isa

I'm really enjoying this so far, glad its coming next month. My friends and I got the group back together and have been having a blast only playing 3rd person mosh pit. My best friend and I love more challenging setups and running battle rifles with limited ammo is a blast. We have to be more tactical and use every resource. In the past I'd mainly stick to TDM but with this I find the Hardpoint and Domination modes to be more fun for me. Can't wait to see more weapons in the full game. I've seen some Sig pistol and a few other guns when my game was bugged out in party. And the perks, I've been using some that I'd never use in the past. I'm impressed so far, but I did really like CoD2019.

Sub_Level

I don’t want to use overkill.

Naw you don’t have to. It just involves equipping Overkill in the menu and unequipping it to get the MP5. There’s plenty of videos and articles on how to do it, at gym right now so can’t find it for you.

clarky

Gold Member
Done with the Beta. Really enjoyed the 30 or so hours i put into the PS5 last weekend and PC this weekend. Invasion, Ground war and Hardpoint highlights for me personally and the lads i play with are all on board this year as well.

Main issue for me is the SBMM, a problem which Black ops and 2019 both suffered from as well. As a mid tier player i don't mind the concept of it but find it swings too wildly one way or the other in COD, which kind goes against the logic of it in the first place to me. I'm top of the leader board for a couple of games the dead last for the next couple. To me that's broken if there's no in-between. Hopefully they sort it out for launch but I'm not holding my breath.

The rest of my issues are niggles that i can live with. The perk system was much better once they sped it up tonight and the mini map probably could use red dots, but its not a deal breaker for me. Turning the footstep audio down a smidge would help a ton I think. TTK could probably do with being a little slower. Other than that very impressive stuff. The amount of content and modes coming to this game and launch and beyond will be insane compared to the competition.

Solid 8/10. Pre ordered on Steam.

Last edited:

Calverz

Tried this on pc and felt a bit average. Tried it on series x at 120fps and was blown away! The auto sim assist makes sniping with the Lockwood so satisfying.

Neolombax

I really enjoyed what I've played so far. Its much much better than Vanguard, even Cold War I would say in terms of the pacing and gunplay. I generally prefer the MW series. Vanguard felt too chaotic for me. I honestly dont mind SBMM, or the new perk system, or the footsteps being too loud or no red dots on the map. The game feels really good to play, gunplay is very satisfying and that's sufficient.

They need to fix the spawn points though. Spawning at similar points on the map only to be killed repeatedly by someone in a chopper can be infuriating. I hope there's a substantial amount of 6v6 maps. Won't be buying at launch, probably, will stick to the forums for player reviews and impressions.

jorgejjvr

A good game in Mw2, chopper gunner and all
jPI3Nsp.png

A good game in cold War, or any other Treyarch game
npIqsG2.png

Crazy to think these are both 10 minute domination games, they feel so different

Last edited:
Top Bottom