• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm not that certain about that at all. The only similarities we've seen between this and Xenoblade in terms of world concept are the same similarities we see with Xenogears and Xenosaga - high tech cities, normal cities, giant robots, weird biomonsters.

The Japanese Nintendo site still clearly lists the game as "Brand New Title from Monolithsoft" so they're probably still deciding on the title. Iwata also specifically says the team is taking the experience they learned from Xenoblade and applying it to this new game. It's clear Nintendo is keen to make the connection that this is the successor to Xenoblade on the WiiU, but if the story is connected I think they would just come out and say it. Feels more likely that Monolithsoft wants to make a brand new world, and Nintendo wants to make sure people know it's going to be "like Xenoblade".

Hmm. Maybe you're right.

Shulk in the reveal trailer still gives me pause.

TDLink

so, this is confirmed 2014...

any guesses regarding which part of the year? Q3, 4??

My guess is Q2. So May-August some time. Smash is obviously going to be the big Q4 game and they won't want X competing with all the typical 3rd party releases, it just isn't a big enough franchise for that. Summer makes sense as a place to launch this "new" IP add competition should be sparse.

Q1 seems too early, I am guessing that is where Bayonetta is going.

onilink88

Watching this trailer on a projector. There are now rainbows shooting out of every pore of my body.

Also, I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Monolith Soft's environment artists are simply Gods. Xenoblade and X have the most beautiful vistas I've ever seen in a game.

ibkJckSCnCjkDH.gif

My Gif contribution =D

Mildudon

I do hope we get a British voice cast like in XenoBlade and Ni no Kuni, I'm getting tired of the same US voice actors in most jrpgs. Although I will allow Troy Baker.

I hope we get the chose bwtween japanese and english. For me personally english takes a little away from the experience of the game.

Lehow

I'm not a native english speaker but I did my best trying to figure the lyrics out:

Let's find a heaven
Cause all the people dying(?crying?) in vain
Try to live your life
In the sky where I can fly
Tell me what's been here turning you away
And it's always here
What a long time were
There's a voice that says
Your heart don't ???
And it's time to know
With all my force(?thoughts?)
So, where is so ???
Everywhere still night
Oh, forgotten God no one has ever seen

I think the last line looks like a lot with a Takahashi's rpg... Please someone complete or correct the lyrics.

I'm not a native english speaker but I did my best trying to figure the lyrics out:

Let's find a heaven
Try to live your life
And it's always here
What a long time were
Your heart don't ???
And it's time to know
So, where is so ???
Everywhere still night

I think the last line looks like a lot with a Takahashi's rpg... Please someone complete or correct the lyrics.

If somebody wanted to make a (tenuous at best) link to Xenoblade, that last line could very well refer to... (Xenoblade ending spoilers follow)

Shulk. He essentially rewrites the rules of the universe by making "a world without Gods". The last time we see him in Xenoblade he tells Fiora that he doesn't know what the future will hold but he's sure it'll be full of ups and downs, and reminisces about Alvis telling him that the new world is filled with other forms of life.

That last line of the song about a forgotten God nobody has ever seen? It kind of sounds like it's mourning the lack of a God in that world, but implying that there was one at some point. Perhaps begrudging the lack of divine intervention. Nobody's ever seen God? That's because God's just some dude.

Total stretch, I know, but that's what immediately sprang to mind when I read those lyrics. Of course, that's assuming this song has anything to do with the plot of this game, could be that it's not related at all.

L Thammy

Do we have any confirmation of whether the main character is a guy or a girl? Seemed to me like they had a very feminine walk/run in the trailer.

Soriku

Do we have any confirmation of whether the main character is a guy or a girl? Seemed to me like they had a very feminine walk/run in the trailer.

The character in the beginning is clearly a dude. But they also have a girl running around too.

The running animation basically looks like Xenoblade's...not the best animation, lol.

onilink88

Clearly a dude and the main character. ...And there wasn't anything at all feminine about his disposition.

The running animation basically looks like Xenoblade's...not the best animation, lol.

I don't see anything wrong with X's running animations.

Oersted

Someone asked Soraya Saga about the song on twitter and this was her response.

"That's newly written for X, as yet unreleased."

Thank you.

A post from the previous thread:

Pointing it out for the new page:
wiiumonolithsofte3trail.png

We can see the two moons in that shot that we can see in the recruitment ad pic. Seeing all that I've seen so far, I'm absolutely positive that this is totally unrelated to Xenoblade, and convinced the plot of the game involves humans crash-landing on or coming to terraform an alien planet.

Interestin theory.

sfried

I like that the characters look like military rather than TEENS ON AN ADVENTURE.

What's apparent is that they don't seem to show the "face" of the protagonist.

There was one shot where the player was a twin-tailed black haired girl, but it quickly cut to a shot of the guy again on top of a huge conduit of sorts with electricity while flying whale beings were nearby.

Oh god the atmosphere of this game...

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
I don't see anything wrong with X's running animations.

The running animation is fine. I think everyone is just nitpicking. They seem to keep pace with their steps.

There's actually two characters being controlled in the trailer. Ones a girl and ones a boy. Watch the hair.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like some form of sexual harassment but if you look at their butts, you can kind of tell. lol.

00:59 = a black haired girl with ponytails. Has some stout gun on her back.
1:01 = another black haired girl (possibly the same one as before). Has a gunlance instead. It's not the protagonist because the protagonist is standing idly far ahead. Girl also has red leg braces. The protagonist has silver ones. Gunlance girl also seems to be the same as the white haired girl in the first trailer. They wear the exact same suit and have the same weapons. The only difference is the hair color.
1:07 = possibly another girl with straight black hair this time. This person's sword and the protagonist's sword are the same, so I could be wrong on this one, but the way the person walks is a bit feminine and the hair isn't as poofy as the protagonist's. The person's waist curvature is also thinner. Wait, that's definitely a girl. You can see the bottom of her hair as the sword is bouncing around. It's hard to see but it's definitely there.

So far there are 6 characters I can see: Mr. Protagonist, White haired girl who now has black hair, Pigtail girl, Straight hair girl, big bulky guy with the huge rifle in the first trailer, Mr. Shulk-look-a-like.

The CPU is maybe the most efficient design ever made for a console, PS4 and XBOne included.
The vegetation is that tiny because this is a plain, if it was a forest then there would be more trees or whatever. I mean, look at xenoblade!

I guess small, waving vegetation was ment in a good way.. which captain sweat pants did not understand.

onilink88

1:01 = another black haired girl (possibly the same one as before). Has a gunlance instead. It's not the protagonist because the protagonist is standing idly far ahead. Girl also has red leg braces. The protagonist has silver ones. Gunlance girl also seems to be the same as the white haired girl in the first trailer. They wear the exact same suit and have the same weapons. The only difference is the hair color.

I thought I'd be the only one to notice this. Great observation.

So far there are 6 characters I can see: Mr. Protagonist, White haired girl who now has black hair, Pigtail girl, Straight hair girl, big bulky guy with the huge rifle in the first trailer, Mr. Shulk-look-a-like.

...Could you take screencaps of Mr. Protagonist and Mr. Shulk lookalike (within the second trailer)? :)

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
I thought I'd be the only one to notice this. Great observation.

...Could you take screencaps of Mr. Protagonist and Mr. Shulk lookalike (within the second trailer)? :)

Oh I should have reworded that sentence. Mr. Shulk lookalike isn't in the second trailer. I meant to say the 6 characters from both the trailers are those characters.

Mr. Protagonist is the black haired guy (I'm assuming). You just want pictures of him?

wrowa

Let's find a heaven
Try to live your life
And it's always here
What a long time were
Your heart don't ???
And it's time to know
So, where is so ???
Everywhere still night

Thanks for your effort, tried myself to listen to the lyrics too a few times but I never really got anything out of it.

gamingeek

This game looks fucking amazing. I was geeking out at the conference and the forum I usually use broke as soon as the trailer came on. :D

What's apparent is that they don't seem to show the "face" of the protagonist.

There was one shot where the player was a twin-tailed black haired girl, but it quickly cut to a shot of the guy again on top of a huge conduit of sorts with electricity while flying whale beings were nearby.

Oh god the atmosphere of this game...

I can't wait for this thing. I hope they localize it in a timely manner.

GRW810

Would people be content if this was simply called X? I think it would be quite dynamic, but what the hell do I know. I still think the X represents Xenoblade until a subtitle is decided. Would be foolish not to expand the Xenoblade name after it built up such a diehard reputation and following. Not making this a Xenoblade title might reset that recognition. Monolith would be wise to make this a series.

onilink88

Oh I should have reworded that sentence. Mr. Shulk lookalike isn't in the second trailer. I meant to say the 6 characters from both the trailers are those characters.

Mr. Protagonist is the black haired guy (I'm assuming). You just want pictures of him?

Mr. Shulk lookalike isn't in the second trailer, huh...? That'd mean that Mr. Raven Hair got a bit of a makeover.

Mr. Raven Hair (aka protagonist of the first trailer):

Raven hair, and a lock that stick out in the air.

Mr. Raven Hair (?) in the second trailer:

Brown hair with blond streaks if you look closely. Either it's a simple makeover, or...

I see it now.

-Get a nice weapon
-Kill a few monsters
-Think I'm" hot shit
-Try and fuck with a giant super monster from hell
-He attacks and leaves me in critical
-Run for the nearest Doll and fly away hoping it can't knock me out of the sky.

BlazinAm

The CPU is maybe the most efficient design ever made for a console, PS4 and XBOne included.
The vegetation is that tiny because this is a plain, if it was a forest then there would be more trees or whatever. I mean, look at xenoblade!

This post is really something else.

Anyway this game isn't at the show so that is why there isn't any coverage for the game.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
Mr. Shulk lookalike isn't in the second trailer, huh...? That'd mean that Mr. Raven Hair got a bit of a makeover.

Mr. Raven Hair (aka protagonist of the first trailer):

Raven hair, and a lock that stick out in the air.

Mr. Raven Hair (?) in the second trailer:

Brown hair with blond streaks if you look closely. Either they're the same character, or...

I would definitely say Mr. Raven Hair = Mr. Protagonist (I guess I'll call him raven hair for now). They have the same hair styles. He probably did get a makeover (good catch btw). The Mecha that Raven Hair is constantly around are the same too in both trailers.

Heyt

Banned
This game looks amazing in all departments shown but I can't get my head around the fact that monolith, a studio never known for their tech knowledge can pull this on WiiU and the team that did motherfucking Mario Galaxy have not steped up their gaphic output.

The one thing I don't like is that the game looks a bit too realistic and too grey. Xenoblade's world was super colourful, I hope they go back to that style. It seems like they're trying to cater more to the West with X. I hope they don't take this too far and still create a very colourful, varied world with some wacky, japanese stuff like those talking furballs in Xenoblade.

This post is really something else.

Anyway this game isn't at the show so that is why their isn't any coverage for the game.
You'll at least know what "efficient" means, won't you? It means that it's the CPU which real world results are closest to it's theoretical performance.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
The running animation is fine. I think everyone is just nitpicking. They seem to keep pace with their steps.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like some form of sexual harassment but if you look at their butts, you can kind of tell. lol.

00:59 = a black haired girl with ponytails. Has some stout gun on her back.
1:07 = possibly another girl with straight black hair this time. This person's sword and the protagonist's sword are the same, so I could be wrong on this one, but the way the person walks is a bit feminine and the hair isn't as poofy as the protagonist's. The person's waist curvature is also thinner. Wait, that's definitely a girl. You can see the bottom of her hair as the sword is bouncing around. It's hard to see but it's definitely there.

Oh wait, Mr. Bulky is in the second trailer too. He's walking with the giant mecha at 1:20 along with Ms. Pigtails and Ms. Gunlance.

The one thing I don't like is that the game looks a bit too realistic and too grey. Xenoblade's world was super colourful, I hope they go back to that style. It seems like they're trying to cater more to the West with X. I hope they don't take this too far and still create a very colourful, varied world with some wacky, japanese stuff like those talking furballs in Xenoblade.
Yeah, the anime influence is still undeniable, so I think it's still gonna have what you say. The giant robots and the theme song make it seem still very Japanese.

I also don't want it too focused on appealing to the West. Japanese games do best when they just do what they do. Look what happened to FFXIII.

To me Xenoblade had the perfect mix of Japanese colorful fantasy, without going overboard with the anime melodrama like Xenosaga did.

Yonafunu

I actually think the player can choose to play as a male or female. There might even be some form of customisation beyond that, like classes, or just appearance.
It would explain why there are so many different player characters in the trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom