• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scared of it turning into Nintendo's own online "wait what" moment actually!~

Single-player story mode with local + online multiplayer would be super neat but I don't know!

paolo11

I'm paranoid. Hopefully this is not a f2p online only game. This should be a single player offline game with online elements.

Hero

Every day I think about it I'm amazed that Monolith Soft is getting the opportunity to bring us an HD game of this caliber. I can't wait for this. Between this and Super Smash Bros, 2014 is going to be the year of the Wii U.

Malvingt2

Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga
I don't spill any beans the officials have yet to reveal. Or do you guys want to get me in trouble?

Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga
. 'Cos Those Are not the "Trailer" but the "Teaser" RT " @ SebasRD27 : Why Nintendo did not tell Nothing more than Open World or Flying robots? "

mindblown.gif

onilink88

Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga
I don't spill any beans the officials have yet to reveal. Or do you guys want to get me in trouble?

Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga
. 'Cos Those Are not the "Trailer" but the "Teaser" RT " @ SebasRD27 : Why Nintendo did not tell Nothing more than Open World or Flying robots? "

Damn, Monolith considers these teasers? I can't wait for 'em to bust out the actual trailers, then! D:

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Damn, Monolith considers these teasers? I can't wait for 'em to bust out the actual trailers, then! D:

if they release something similar to that 20 minutes Xenoblade exploration video my pants would have to be ironclad to stop my erection

Meelow

Banned
Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga

Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga

mindblown.gif

Almost 2 minute videos are "teasers"? Can't wait for the actual trailer than lol.

roddur

Alright after watching the trailer I do have to say the monster designs are pretty damn cool.

You got those 2 velociraptors with no arms and in the background you have that absolutely huge tenctacle plant looking thing just waving in the background. I'd hate to fight that thing without a mech.

Speaking of mechs they seem to be 3 times as tall as the human characters. Knowing that look at the scale of that monster! I'd love to see footage of multiple mechs take that thing down.

I don't even know how to describe this one. It looks totally alien. It looks like it has a small ecosystem on its back or something. Probably a gentle giant that can whoop dat ass if it needs to.

And my favorite one so far. The whale monsters looks straight out of Baten Kaitos. That gif in general looks like a Baten Kaitos environment in 3D. I like how you just see that purple light just pulsing on them.

that 33 watts machine

wrowa

This is a nice opportunity to quote myself. :p

Given that Nintendo still is being very mysterious about the game, I'm sure that we won't get any story details for as long as they won't announce the game's title. The two trailers so far seem more like teasers with the big reveal yet to come. I expect a full unveal in September, honestly.

Also, I'm surprised that she seems to speak pretty good English. Didn't expect that somehow.

That was just a "teaser"? :O Oh my... Can't contain my excitement. I'm so greedy - I want to see moreeeeee. ;_; I want to see a few story cutscenes as well.

Zwei

Never said that I'm a master of the language either. :p And I don't pretend to. I'm not a native speaker of the language and I know that my English abilities are pretty rough.

I was just kidding, man. It was a simple typo. Relax.

onilink88

if they release something similar to that 20 minutes Xenoblade exploration video my pants would have to be ironclad to stop my erection

Haha!

This is a nice opportunity to quote myself. :p

Also, I'm surprised that she seems to speak pretty good English. Didn't expect that somehow.

Shit, I guess I've had a total misconception of what teasers are. I was under the impression that they were much shorter, and more importantly, more vague (like Bayonetta 2's).

I hope there'll be more stuff to tide me over between now and the, er, big reveal. I mean, I'm suffering from hype convulsions here; there's no way I'll able to survive media droughts for this game.

Haha!

Shit, I guess I've had a total misconception of what teasers are. I was under the impression that they were much shorter, and more importantly, more vague (like Bayonetta 2's).

I hope there'll be more stuff to tide me over between now and the, er, big reveal. I mean, I'm suffering from hype convulsions here; there's no way I'll able to survive media droughts for this game.
They are kinda following the same format Xenoblade had when it was revealed. Its trailer from E3 09 (back when it was just called Monado: Beginning of the World) it was just in game footage of Shulk running on fields and some battles with only a pinch of story related bits. The first real trailer came out a bit later after a name change. That was revealed along with Last Story a couple years ago.

L Thammy

Maybe they're calling it a teaser because they haven't really shown off the game mechanics.
The combat system still seems to be the same
awful
thing from Xenoblade so far.

I like these "teasers." They excite my imagination like the early Zelda TP "teasers" did before they started showing real trailers of a more complete game that were a lot more story filled.

onilink88

Maybe they're calling it a teaser because they haven't really shown off the game mechanics.

Does the combat system no longer qualify as a game mechanic?

The combat system still seems to be the same
awful
thing from Xenoblade so far.

Awful? You might not like Xenoblade's combat system, and it might have its flaws, but it's not so flawed to the point where calling it awful would be an accurate descriptive. :/

L Thammy

Does the combat system no longer qualify as a game mechanic?

Awful? You might not like Xenoblade's combat system, and it might have its flaws, but it's not so flawed to the point where calling it awful would be an accurate descriptive. :/

Did you read both of those sentences as if they were separate posts? Not trying to be mean, it's just kinda weird how you quoted that.

Anyway, I meant that it doesn't really demonstrate or show off any mechanics, we just interpret the battle palette to be Xenoblade's because it's familiar (and, realistically it probably will be like Xenoblade's).

Considering that Xenoblade is a 100 hour game, I think I'm allowed to call the battle system awful. It becomes extremely routine.

Zornica

Banned
Considering that Xenoblade is a 100 hour game, I think I'm allowed to call the battle system awful. It becomes extremely routine.

After more than 100 hours, every system in every game ever becomes routine (even monster hunter).
At THAT point, you should maybe change your characters. There is a reason why they every one of them pretty unique.
//off-topic

from what we saw, we can expect the mech battles to play entirely different from the on foot battles.

onilink88

Did you read both of those sentences as if they were separate posts? Not trying to be mean, it's just kinda weird how you quoted that.

I did, because they're two distinct statements, and it wouldn't have mattered if they were in one or two separate posts.

Anyway, I meant that it doesn't really demonstrate or show off any mechanics, we just interpret the battle palette to be Xenoblade's because it's familiar (and, realistically it probably will be like Xenoblade's).

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say here. You said that they called what they showed teasers because they didn't show off any mechanics. That is false, plain and simple. They showed off the combat system and how the Dolls work.

No. The length of the game and the frequency of the use of the battle system have nothing to do with its actual quality. Any battle system- no, gameplay mechanic is bound to feel tedious and repetitive at some point in a game as lengthy as Xenoblade. In fact, I can't think of a single RPG, western or eastern, that didn't become tiring by its final act.

L Thammy

Let me rephrase that that. It gets routine extremely quickly. Fighting one enemy is the exact same as fighting another. I find it ridiculous when people say "well, maybe you should change characters". Not only is that a big assumption (I played with all characters), but can I really call it a good battle system when I have to go out of my way in order to make it interesting? For the record, I beat that game twice, over 200 total hours put in.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say here. You said that they called what they showed teasers because they didn't show off any mechanics. That is false, plain and simple. They showed off the combat system and how mechs work.

Did they? Did they show off the vision system? Is that still in? How about spike damage, is that still in? Did they do anything new with it? What are the character's tension arts? What are all the features of mechs? They're available for transportation and combat. How do they differ from the characters in combat? Do they suffer from the same status effects? Tell me what they showed off.

Anyway, this is a thread about an X trailer. If you don't mind, I'd rather let the rest of you guys have your fun with that than continue to argue about a different game.

wrowa

Did they? Did they show off the vision system? Is that still in? How about spike damage, is that still in? Did they do anything new with it? What are the character's tension arts? What are all the features of mechs? They're available for transportation and combat. How do they differ from the characters in combat? Do they suffer from the same status effects? Tell me what they showed off.

Those are not the kind of mechanics you would show in a trailer...

Reveirg

Then how this "teaser" differ from a trailer? I'm trying to figure out the meaning of that statement.

A bunch of people basically asked why there wasn't any story elements in the trailers, and this was her answer.

Safe to say she only meant that we had only seen a fraction of what the game was about.

linko9

Game looks good, but some of the animation is pretty sorry.

Yeah, that is certainly the #1 complaint. And it's pretty much the only one so far. That walking animation at the beginning of the trailer is pretty jerky. But honestly it doesn't much bother me when it gets into real gameplay.

Game looks good, but some of the animation is pretty sorry.
Yeah, that's probably the one major smudge with the teasers so far. Still, they already improved the grassy plains from the first teaser and the game probably won't be out for at least a year, so there's a decent chance they'll fix up the animations a bit by then.

onilink88

Let me rephrase that that. It gets routine extremely quickly. Fighting one enemy is the exact same as fighting another. I find it ridiculous when people say "well, maybe you should change characters". Not only is that a big assumption (I played with all characters), but can I really call it a good battle system when I have to go out of my way in order to make it interesting? For the record, I beat that game twice, over 200 total hours put in.

That has more to do with your personal dissonance with the combat system, as opposed to it being objectively bad. I could say that I loved it for the the entire two thousand hours+ I've clocked so far, and we wouldn't really be getting anywhere, now would we? Tolerance will vary from individual to individual, but in terms of concept, depth, and execution, Xenoblade has an excellent combat system.

No. They didn't go in depth. But we got a clear look at it in its basic form. Whether it was in detail or not is a separate matter.

That walking animation at the beginning of the trailer is pretty jerky. But honestly it doesn't much bother me when it gets into real gameplay.

Could someone point out the "jerkyness" in these two gifs or the actual footage? I guess I don't have the eye for this kinda stuff...

Boogybro

Could someone point out the "jerkyness" in these two gifs or the actual footage? I guess I don't have the eye for this kinda stuff...

I think a lot of people are just comparing it to FF15's amazing animation. But I made a gif that illustrates it a bit better.

Edit:
i0gPjkCpESNjC.gif

I think it could be a much smoother.

onilink88

I think a lot of people are just comparing it to FF15's amazing animation. But I made a gif that illustrates it a bit better.

Edit:
i0gPjkCpESNjC.gif

I think it could be a much smoother.

I see it here, but the other two instances of him walking seem perfectly fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom