• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

onilink88

iwGpybZOYXOYh.gif
It wasn't said in the previous thread, but it needs to be said now: this game has amazing asses. Especially this character's; that booty is bubblin'!

ozfunghi

It wasn't said in the previous thread, but it needs to be said now: this game has amazing asses. Especially this character; that booty is bubblin'!

AI needs some work though. Not sure what that raptor was thinking running into that... rockpile of sorts.

onilink88

AI needs some work though. Not sure what that raptor was thinking running into that... rockpile of sorts.

I'm sure... er, hopefully it'll get fixed. There are two things that bother me about the game visually, also: it's the clipping we saw in the town scene, as well as the tank Doll that seemed to float on uneven terrain. Not sure what the technical term to describe it is, but check out that particular scene; you'll see what I mean.

ozfunghi

I'm sure... er, hopefully it'll get fixed. There are two things that bother me about the game visually, also: it's the clipping we saw in the town scene, as well as the tank Doll that seemed to float on uneven terrain. Not sure what the technical term to describe it is, but check out that particular scene; you'll see what I mean.

I spotted one nasty pop-in in the scene where the grey mech flies off... one of the "spikes" pop on the top.

EDIT: and the bushes at his feed pop too as he jumps.

wsippel

Banned
I wouldn't worry about minor glitches at this point, the game already looks a lot better than it did six months ago, and it still has at least six more months in the oven. Bullshitting people isn't Nintendo's style.

onilink88

I spotted one nasty pop-in in the scene where the grey mech flies off... one of the "spikes" pop on the top.

EDIT: and the bushes at his feed pop too as he jumps.

Well, the important thing is that they're working on it, and it's improving (it was a lot worse in the first teaser where you had the main character running up to the sauropod, and there were sizable sections of grass popping in).

Animations probably aren't going to be improved substantially, judging by Xenoblade. I remember the jump animation being awful in particular. Compared to Final Fantasy XV, X falls pretty short, but it doesn't really bother me. If the battle system is anything like Xenoblade, it's probably a lot less dynamic than Final Fantasy XV.

I have a terrible case of OCD... and even I think complaining about the animation is pretty nit-picky! LOL

This is THE next-gen experience on Wii U, I can't believe the quality, complexity, the vastness, the draw-distance (you can see monsters running on the otherwise of the fucking lake in the final shot), it's just unreal.

Is it fair to say Monolith indeed 1-UPed Bethesda, which they said they wanted to do? I think they just did.

Zenaku

It wasn't said in the previous thread, but it needs to be said now: this game has amazing asses. Especially this character's; that booty is bubblin'!

In the Japanese Xenoblade Complete Guide there was a section where a set of questions were asked to several key people on the dev team, including Takahashi. Alongside "what is your favourite party?" and "your favourite chain attack?" and the like, was the question "What do you want players to notice, or what aspect of the game did you fuss over?"; his answer was "the female characters asses".

I expect the same priorities for X. =]

onilink88

Yeah, even the guys have it goin' on.

In the Japanese Xenoblade Complete Guide there was a section where a set of questions were asked to several key people on the dev team, including Takahashi. Alongside "what is your favourite party?" and "your favourite chain attack?" and the like, was the question "What do you want players to pay attention to, or what aspect of the game did you fuss over?"; his answer was "the female characters asses".

I expect the same priorities for X. =]

Well, I think my day was just made, haha. Had no idea Takahashi was an ass man. And where have you been, dude? I've been wanting to hear your input on all the new stuff we saw. :)

Sophia

I've been thinking about this for awhile now, but I suspect that the large countdown shown in the trailer isn't actually a countdown to like resources being depleted or something as the such, but possibly something far more catastrophic. Like possibly the end of the world, or some such.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, some folks over at GameFAQs have started to pierce together the lyrics to the music in the trailer. Here's a video. They've done a fantastic job too, as only a few words are missing so far:

Male verse:
"Let's find the giving loss
And just try to live your life
(Undisclosed)
Where is your feeling, where's your life?"

(Repeated)

Female Chorus:
"Let's find the giving loss
All the people cry in vain
Try to live your life
In the sky where I can fly / And decide where I can fly

Tell me what's in here
Tell me you're awake
And it's always here
While the long time whirl(s)

There's a voice that says
"You're part of myself" / "You're part of my soul"
And the sun comes out
With all o' my hopes

So where's your feeling
And where is your life
Forgotten world / love / girl / god
Nobody's ever seen"

Using the attributed lyrics, we get a better sense of the theme of the story. "Try to live your life" is the theme of survival that I mentioned some time ago. "And decide where I can fly" implies even more so that the mechs are going to be a significant and key element to the game and story. I bet at one point we're going to fly to one of the moons seen in the sky, as they're featured pretty prominently.

"There's a voice that says: "You're part of myself" / "You're part of my soul"" could possibly be referring to a romance? Love stories, especially tragic love stories (Xenogears) have been a part of Takahashi's stories for quite some time. But it could also easily be referring to plot elements too. It's hard to say without knowing more about the characters.

Speaking of which, there's an interesting detail regarding all the characters in the two trailers: Their faces are never shown. We've only seen them from behind, which implies that maybe they're not final or that they're hiding something storywise. I don't think Takahashi would include custom character creation. It goes against his usual style of writing, and basing characters off psychology.

Also, not sure if this was mentioned (I've only read the last page or two), but you can see a car driving in the city scene for a very brief moment before it goes offscreen. So I bet the cities are gonna be pretty active.

Well, I think my day was just made, haha. Had no idea Takahashi was an ass man. And where have you been, dude? I've been wanting to hear your input on all the new stuff we saw. :)

Doesn't surprise me. Takahashi is a sexual-type variant (specifically, he is an E5) under the Enneagram system that is featured prominently within Xenogears and Xenosaga, as well as to a lesser degree in his other works. Sexual types are the most common type to have their perversions and fetishes. :p

Zenaku

I've been keeping up with the thread but just didn't get around to posting much.

Downloading the teaser to check it frame by frame was a nightmare; my computer refuses to put videos in a temp folder for some reason on Firefox, and Chrome split it into about 8 or so smaller files and seperated the sound.

One thing I think should be noted about the popin is that the main occurences are when in the mech, ie when the camera is much further out than when you're controlling a human. The clipping distance is probably tuned for the human characters at the moment, since different objects get clipped at different distances. It really shouldn't be hard to fix. Like wsippel said, it shouldn't have anything to due with the speed of the systems RAM.

One thing I liked in the teaser, that I don't remember seeing mentioned, was the leaves or something blowing in the wind in the city. Nice little touch.

Zenaku

Might've been paper; I covered myself with "or something" there. Wasn't sure exactly what it was, but I just like seeing things blow in the wind.

DaBoss

Might've been paper; I covered myself with "or something" there. Wasn't sure exactly what it was, but I just like seeing things blow in the wind.

Kinda doesn't make sense though. It was paper blowing through, but the leaves in the trees didn't move. Yes I'm being nitpicky here.

King_Moc

Banned
The slow RAM will ensure those object and texture pop-ins will be there in the final product.

That's more likely to happen with a small amount of RAM, rather than slow RAM. It happened a lot in GTA on console when it had to stream data from the disc. Shouldn't be a problem with a game like this and 1GB.

I'm not trolling. The posters above were worried about those problems. I accept them. It doesn't affect the game's quality for me.

Except you're ignoring the eDRAM and other memory pools which are much faster. Not to mention the whole slow RAM nonsense was disproved in the GPU/CPU threads and not even being an issue

Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga
I don't spill any beans the officials have yet to reveal. Or do you guys want to get me in trouble?

Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga
. 'Cos Those Are not the "Trailer" but the "Teaser" RT " @ SebasRD27 : Why Nintendo did not tell Nothing more than Open World or Flying robots? "

I'm so ready. Both teasers have been incredible.

Also, I assume she's hinting at a story trailer for the real thing. :)

Zenaku

Kinda doesn't make sense though. It was paper blowing through, but the leaves in the trees didn't move. Yes I'm being nitpicky here.

Well, the leaves in the trees can't move until they're animated to do so. Trees in Xenoblade would sway when you were close enough, so it'll be done by the time the game releases, surely.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga
I don't spill any beans the officials have yet to reveal. Or do you guys want to get me in trouble?

Soraya Saga @ Sorayasaga
. 'Cos Those Are not the "Trailer" but the "Teaser" RT " @ SebasRD27 : Why Nintendo did not tell Nothing more than Open World or Flying robots? "

mindblown.gif
Wow, that's quite exciting to hear. Does this mean we'll get a full-blown NintendX Direct in the near future? I want so bad for this game to get the marketing love from Nintendo that it deserves.

Mondriaan

Could someone point out the "jerkyness" in these two gifs or the actual footage? I guess I don't have the eye for this kinda stuff...
I think the running animations didn't look as nice as the walking animations you quoted. The running on uneven ground felt a little off because running on uneven ground can cause a fair amount of variation in the amount of ground covered as well as movements in the upper body to adjust balance.

You can get away with a more static set of animations on completely flat, level ground, but it won't look quite right when the ground is uneven. If you're watching the feet, it doesn't quite look like the feet are contacting the ground. It's a minor thing, though, and the footstep dust explosions obscure this somewhat.

They might fix details like that, but I hope it's low on their list of priorities. I would rather they nail mecha combat before worrying about whether or not the character running on uneven ground looks great.

Sophia

I haven't thought about it but I really wonder what kind of gamepad feature this game will have.

Probably just user interface stuff. Map, status, chat when playing multiplayer, etc, etc. It'd be pretty cool if the interface was modeled after what machine you were piloting however.

One thing I worry about with this game is that while I applaud Monolith Soft for wanting to be the Japanese Bethesda, building an HD game of this scale makes me worry that their game may be as buggy and glitchy as Bethesda's. On the other hand, I don't want to wait until 2015 to play this, so I don't mind a few patches if necessary.

Zenaku

One thing I worry about with this game is that while I applaud Monolith Soft for wanting to be the Japanese Bethesda, building an HD game of this scale makes me worry that their game may be as buggy and glitchy as Bethesda's. On the other hand, I don't want to wait until 2015 to play this, so I don't mind a few patches if necessary.

Xenoblade spent around 7-8 months in debugging, when it also underwent balancing and had extra features added (down spike status). The only notable bug in the Japanese release was the games play-time clock not displaying above 99hrs 59mins. I'm not worried one bit about potential bugs.

Ah, something I forgot to mention before, Soraya Saga retweeted a tweet from Sawano at one point, where he revealed the music for the two teasers was recorded last year.

Soren01

This game is more colorful now than in january. And stop compare it with FFXV. XV doesn't even look like a RPG.

onilink88

I've been thinking about this for awhile now, but I suspect that the large countdown shown in the trailer isn't actually a countdown to like resources being depleted or something as the such, but possibly something far more catastrophic. Like possibly the end of the world, or some such.

I can't seem to get a grasp of what it might be. It's counting down, so something must be running out. What that is I don't know. But if it were some kind of countdown until some kind of world-ending event, would the countdown not have been expressed in a time format? Here we have a percentage (there are also a bunch of numbers fluctuating above and below it), so that leads me to believe they're running out of something material.
No idea if that makes any sense. :p

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, some folks over at GameFAQs have started to pierce together the lyrics to the music in the trailer. Here's a video. They've done a fantastic job too, as only a few words are missing so far:

Using the attributed lyrics, we get a better sense of the theme of the story. "Try to live your life" is the theme of survival that I mentioned some time ago. "And decide where I can fly" implies even more so that the mechs are going to be a significant and key element to the game and story. I bet at one point we're going to fly to one of the moons seen in the sky, as they're featured pretty prominently.

"There's a voice that says: "You're part of myself" / "You're part of my soul"" could possibly be referring to a romance? Love stories, especially tragic love stories (Xenogears) have been a part of Takahashi's stories for quite some time. But it could also easily be referring to plot elements too. It's hard to say without knowing more about the characters.

Speaking of which, there's an interesting detail regarding all the characters in the two trailers: Their faces are never shown. We've only seen them from behind, which implies that maybe they're not final or that they're hiding something storywise. I don't think Takahashi would include custom character creation. It goes against his usual style of writing, and basing characters off psychology.

Also, not sure if this was mentioned (I've only read the last page or two), but you can see a car driving in the city scene for a very brief moment before it goes offscreen. So I bet the cities are gonna be pretty active.

Doesn't surprise me. Takahashi is a sexual-type variant (specifically, he is an E5) under the Enneagram system that is featured prominently within Xenogears and Xenosaga, as well as to a lesser degree in his other works. Sexual types are the most common type to have their perversions and fetishes. :p

I definitely think the teaser exudes an atmosphere of survival. And I don't doubt we're going to see the main character involved in a romance (if I had to place a bet, it'd be with formerly silver-haired girl- I dunno, it's just a gut feeling :p). As for not showing any faces, I'm on the "because they haven't been finalized" side of the fence. Their aversion to showing any faces because of plot reasons wouldn't make any sense, since we know nothing about the plot or characters. There's also that tweet from Saga about how these are actually teasers, so it could be vague on purpose due to that being the nature of most them (in my experience, anyway).

Downloading the teaser to check it frame by frame was a nightmare; my computer refuses to put videos in a temp folder for some reason on Firefox, and Chrome split it into about 8 or so smaller files and seperated the sound.

Usually, streamed videos are stored in Firefox's cache folder (that's the way I used to get them). Unless they're RTMP streams; in that case, you'd need software to capture them (I think).

One thing I liked in the teaser, that I don't remember seeing mentioned, was the leaves or something blowing in the wind in the city. Nice little touch.

Yeah, I love subtle touches like that. What about the game's narrative? Any theories as to what it might be?

DaBoss

Well, the leaves in the trees can't move until they're animated to do so. Trees in Xenoblade would sway when you were close enough, so it'll be done by the time the game releases, surely.

Yea, I know. :p

Just being nitpicky on that and acknowledge that it is a WIP and not everything has been touched upon.

Ah, something I forgot to mention before, Soraya Saga retweeted a tweet from Sawano at one point, where he revealed the music for the two teasers was recorded last year.

Interesting. So is it safe to say the music is close to being finished at this point?

Zenaku

I definitely think the teaser exudes an atmosphere of survival. And I don't doubt we're going to see the main character involved in a romance (if I had to place a bet, it'd be with formerly silver-haired girl- I dunno, it's just a gut feeling :p). As for not showing any faces, I'm on the "because they haven't been finalized" side of the fence. Their aversion to showing any faces because of plot reasons wouldn't make any sense, since we know nothing about the plot or characters. There's also that tweet from Saga about how these are actually teasers, so it could be vague on purpose due to that being the nature of most them (in my experience, anyway).
I'm hoping the girl with the pigtails is an option too. I like games with multiple romance options, even if the only difference is which character stands next to the main during certain scenes. I don't know, I just get the same feeling I got with Melia. When we didn't know her name, and the only image we had was the artwork of the cast standing on Bionis' shoulder, and all we could see was the back of her head, I still knew "I'm gonna like her".

Usually, streamed videos should are stored in Firefox's cache folder (that's the way I used to get them). Unless they're RTMP streams; in that case, you'd need software to capture them (I think).
The SSB4 trailer I watched was stored right there, but not the X teaser. I tried seaching for it based on size or last modified, but never found it anywhere. I got it with a YouTube download site in the end.

Yeah, I love subtle touches like that. What about the game's narrative? Any theories as to what it might be?
I agree with you that the countdown is probably not "the earth will end" kind of thing, and that the percentage is of importance here. The ending zoom-out shot shows what looks to be "60%" on the tower, and we have no way of knowing if that takes place before or after the cutscene showing it drop to 59%, but if the game does start with the city/ship essentially crash landing to the planet then the scene could be near the start (i.e. the main heads out to explore, gets to that point and then looks back at the city).

The city seems to lack a visible dome over it of course, which would hinder space travel, but since there seem to be cranes an energy shield type of roof would make sense, since it'd be easier to haul things over and into the city.

Not sure if it's important, but when the main starts up the mech a screen turns on where his hand is. It's backwards, and if you flip the image it reads pretty much this:

MOUNT
DOGFIGHT FROM
CROUTING(?) FROM
AUXILIARY DRIVE MACHINE
POWER PACK
INTERNAL -ORGANS FIREARMS
MOVEMENT EQUIPMENT
FIREARMS CONTROL
BACKPACK MODULE
EXTENDER

The "internal organs" part has me interested. It could be checking that the pilots body is healthy (but then, why "firearms"?) but then again, "internal organs" and "mechs"...kind of reminds me of something, if you get what I'm referring to.

Takahashi is pretty particular about music, so if Sawano started as late as last year he should have a decent number of songs finished by now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's far from finishing. That's if Takahashi is as hard on Sawano as he was on ACE+ and the like.

ozfunghi

I wouldn't worry about minor glitches at this point, the game already looks a lot better than it did six months ago, and it still has at least six more months in the oven. Bullshitting people isn't Nintendo's style.

Ah, i wasn't really concerned, the first trailer was a lot more rough around the edges (square beach water, nastier grass with more pop-in...). It was just an observation.

Sophia

Takahashi is pretty particular about music, so if Sawano started as late as last year he should have a decent number of songs finished by now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's far from finishing. That's if Takahashi is as hard on Sawano as he was on ACE+ and the like.

I'm sure he is. Takahashi seems to be a firm believer in making something appear attractive artistically. The way in interviews they refer to Disc 2 of Xenogears almost seems like they're ashamed.

I've been wondering if some of the ACE+ people are involved too. It'd be pretty massive of Sawano was doing the entire soundtrack, even if he's up to the task.

onilink88

I'm hoping the girl with the pigtails is an option too. I like games with multiple romance options, even if the only difference is which character stands next to the main during certain scenes. I don't know, I just get the same feeling I got with Melia. When we didn't know her name, and the only image we had was the artwork of the cast standing on Bionis' shoulder, and all we could see was the back of her head, I still knew "I'm gonna like her".

I could see that happening.

I agree with you that the countdown is probably not "the earth will end" kind of thing, and that the percentage is of importance here. The ending zoom-out shot shows what looks to be "60%" on the tower, and we have no way of knowing if that takes place before or after the cutscene showing it drop to 59%, but if the game does start with the city/ship essentially crash landing to the planet then the scene could be near the start (i.e. the main heads out to explore, gets to that point and then looks back at the city).

Ah, so you think it's spaceship crash-landing on alien planet type premise, too, eh? There's something in regards to that I was thinking about: in the first teaser, we saw the mass produced Doll fighting a machine called "Vasara", right? If the whole crash-landing scenario is true, would that mean they're fighting among themselves (if we take it that the Vasara is a Doll)? You also have that giant fortress mech type thing fucking shit up at the end of the second teaser. Maybe the planet isn't as primitive as I thought, and the locals of the planet are approaching the humans with hostility?

The city seems to lack a visible dome over it of course, which would hinder space travel, but since there seem to be cranes an energy shield type of roof would make sense, since it'd be easier to haul things over and into the city.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Here, take a look:

See the thing to the left of the crane? Does that not look like it's aiming inward (would be kinda weird to position a weapon in that manner, I think)? As if it's meant project something over the city. A forcefield, maybe?

Of no seemingly particular importance:
The cargo that the helicopter is hauling has "SE 71(in black)89(in red) on the right side, and "ERI 0023" on the back.

Not sure if it's important, but when the main starts up the mech a screen turns on where his hand is. It's backwards, and if you flip the image it reads pretty much this:

Damn, you went through the trouble of reading that, too? INTERNAL -ORGANS FIREARMS struck me as curious, too, but I didn't know what to make of it.

*Is it me, or did they spell firearms wrong?* It seems to be spelled fierarms.*

The "internal organs" part has me interested. It could be checking that the pilots body is healthy (but then, why "firearms"?) but then again, "internal organs" and "mechs"...kind of reminds me of something, if you get what I'm referring to.

Actually, I don't. What are you referring to? D:

Heh, I wonder if he's gotten any of those critical emails that need to be "softened up" yet.

Zenaku

Ah, so you think it's spaceship crash-landing on alien planet type premise, too, eh? There's something in regards to that I was thinking about: in the first teaser, we saw the mass produced Doll fighting a machine called "Vasara", right? If the whole crash-landing scenario is true, would that mean they're fighting among themselves (if we take it that the Vasara is a Doll)? You also have that giant fortress mech type thing fucking shit up at the end of the second teaser. Maybe the planet isn't as primitive as I thought, and the locals of the planet are approaching the humans with hostility?
I never really came to a decision as to whether I believed the "crash-landing" theory, since the city didn't really match the UFO in the artwork, but it's a plausible one.

The place that strikes me the most is the area with the floating purple monsters. The entire thing looks like a man-made structure, so it points towards either the planet being inhabited, or there being more than one ship. There's also the large ring that can be seen a few times; if the city-ship is circular I might assume that was its cover, but we haven't seen what shape it really is.

I personally got a Deus vibe from the enemy at the end. Reminded me of Xenogears opening quite a bit.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Here, take a look:

See the thing to the left of the crane? Does that not look like it's aiming inward (would be kinda weird to position a weapon in that manner, I think)? As if it's meant project something over the city. A forcefield, maybe?

Of no seemingly particular importance:
The cargo that the helicopter is hauling has "SE 71(in black)89(in red) on the right side, and "ERI 0023" on the back.
Could be; hard to tell from the angle. I'd assume the central tower with the % had something to do with a forcefield too, if there were one.

ERI...Did the number 23 have anything to do with Xenogears Elly at all? Probably overthinking things, but you never know with Takahashi.

Damn, you went through the trouble of reading that, too? INTERNAL -ORGANS FIREARMS struck me as curious, too, but I didn't know what to make of it.

*Is it me, or did they spell firearms wrong?* It seems to be spelled fierarms.*
After the circular OS-like screen shows up in front of him, the same info is there too. The left side is a backwards mirror image, but the right side is displayed normally, with a few extra lines. "POWER PACK" also has an extra word after it, and a % (95%?). Probably just fuel for that though.

Actually, I don't. What are you referring to? D:
Faces from Xenoblade. Essentially,
they used human organs in their systems. The first Faces, like Xord, were just brains and a few organs, while later ones had near-complete bodies.
It makes me wonder if the base technology is the same.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That bush looked like the LOD was changing too late. Stuff like that they can optimize later in development.

I just hope the grass draw distance is better than it was in Xenoblade, and there's no reason it shouldn't be (and it definitely does appear to be so far). The grass looked good in that game but it was easy to see it pop-in in the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom