• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornica

Banned
By the way, D-e-f-, good catch on the five player thing. And you're right about NPCs not appearing on the radar in Xenoblade; the same goes for this game.

sorry, but that's wrong:
xenonpcqgjw3.jpg

D-e-f-

Banned
sorry, but that's wrong:
xenonpcqgjw3.jpg

Oh they do? Weird. Regardless, they fade out the farther you're away (I think?) and are differentiated from the character icon and quest icon. At the very least the differentiation can be expected to be in effect in X as well since that's just basic UI design logic.

D-e-f-

Banned
But that'd be strange, wouldn't it? He's not appearing on the radar...

This might be an instance that proves it's singleplayer with optional co-op.

A.I. controlled or idle party characters? No symbol on minimap.
Player controller party characters? Symbol on minimap.

I think it's a given that we'll be switching between characters like in Xenoblade so it doesn't matter in terms of gameplay who the narrative protagonist is.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
But that'd be strange, wouldn't it? He's not appearing on the radar...

Yeah. I see your point in him being an NPC, but with that sword and that mech, he looks like the protagonist.

I'm guessing either they're not done with labeling who's a "real" npc or walking near him would trigger a cutscene.

I don't remember how Xenoblade handled it when your characters became "NPC"s for a moment.

onilink88

This might be an instance that proves it's singleplayer with optional co-op.

A.I. controlled or idle party characters? No symbol on minimap.
Player controller party characters? Symbol on minimap.

I think it's a given that we'll be switching between characters like in Xenoblade so it doesn't matter in terms of gameplay who the narrative protagonist is.

I thought that guy far ahead was the protagonist. That mech is another one of his.

You guys might be right, actually:

Pigtails and formerly silver hair aren't appearing on the radar, either (note: they weren't idle; they were following after you). But... it's still strange:

On the top left, shouldn't there be player status boxes if these were indeed player-controlled characters

like we see here?

I are confuzzled. :(

ido

Some ideas:

The countdown is a possible countdown of a protection field, that has so far kept out the dangerous creatures shown. The city looks rather safe, after all.

The large purple creatures look like Gnosis from Xenosaga, imo.

The hanger gave me the Xenogears feels so hard.

The gears/dolls/mechs so far look way more Xenogears-esque rather than Xenoblade-esque.

Can I please have id and Grahf please?

D-e-f-

Banned
On the top left, shouldn't there be player status boxes if these were indeed player-controlled characters

like we see here?

I are confuzzled. :(

First one is free-roaming. Jolly good time.

Second one is combat.

Problem solved :D

(like in Xenoblade)

edit:

what's more interesting about that last shot of yours is that it introduces problems for my 5-player theory. We see the 4 player UI but we also see four green player icons in addition to the central main character icon. So there "should" be five player characters active but the UI only notes four.

Either that means there is no correlation between the green dots and the actual players or this means there might be additional A.I. support characters that get included in the party. It's all a bit wishy washy. Man I can't wait to finally learn more about this game! October Direct, do not disappoint! lol

onilink88

First one is free-roaming. Jolly good time.

Second one is combat.

Problem solved :D

(like in Xenoblade)

Soooo (and forgive if I'm being dense here), what you're saying is that when out exploring, AI party members don't appear on the radar, but when they're engaged in battle, that's when they appear as green dots?

what's more interesting about that last shot of yours is that it introduces problems for my 5-player theory. We see the 4 player UI but we also see four green player icons in addition to the central main character icon. So there "should" be five player characters active but the UI only notes four.

Either that means there is no correlation between the green dots and the actual players or this means there might be additional A.I. support characters that get included in the party.

That makes sense, yeah.

D-e-f-

Banned
Soooo (and forgive if I'm being dense here), what you're saying is that when out exploring, AI party members don't appear on the radar, but when they're engaged in battle, that's when they appear as green dots?

I only meant your last two pics, which (going by my theory) both have multiple human controlled characters in them while your first pic at the cliff is a singleplayer snapshot with AI companions.

Green dots only seem to appear when there are multiple player characters as in your first pic, there are zero green dots and only the grey/blue-ish center dot denoting the main player character YOU are playing.

In the second and third pic, we likely are seeing a multiplayer scenario with the first being just a group of people running around and the second one being a combat scenario that has the additional party UI, like during Xenoblade's combat (and there's no action bar since mech combat functions differently, going by the first trailer).

edit: excuse my horrible sentence structure and possible grammar souflet. it's very late and I should be sleeping lol

ozfunghi

That might make sense. When exploring, party members just follow you around (basically you control them), when in battle (and these battles seem to ranging in scope) they operate individually.

onilink88

I only meant your last two pics, which (going by my theory) both have multiple human controlled characters in them while your first pic at the cliff is a singleplayer snapshot with AI companions.

Green dots only seem to appear when there are multiple player characters as in your first pic, there are zero green dots and only the grey/blue-ish center dot denoting the main player character YOU are playing.

In the second and third pic, we likely are seeing a multiplayer scenario with the first being just a group of people running around and the second one being a combat scenario that has the additional party UI, like during Xenoblade's combat (and there's no action bar since mech combat functions differently, going by the first trailer).

edit: excuse my horrible sentence structure and possible grammar souflet. it's very late and I should be sleeping lol

Ooooooooooooooh, well... I derped something awful up there.

But thanks, I get it now. :D

EDIT:

But wait... There are two problems in this shot, then:

1. There doesn't appear to be any blue dots (which represent you, yeah?); all five dots are green here.
2. Which brings us to the other problem you pointed out: if green dots are human players, then why are there only four player status boxes? That'd either mean one box was left out for who knows what reason or that, if your AI being able to join a human party theory is true, it'd be represented by a green dot, too, no?

Man, this is wishy-washy.

Mlatador

Banned
1. There doesn't appear to be any blue dots (which represent you, yeah?); all five dots are green here.
2. Which brings us to the other problem you pointed out: if green dots are human players, then why are there only four player status boxes? That'd either mean one box was left out for who knows what reason or that, if your AI being able to join a human party theory is true, it'd be represented by a green dot, too, no?

Man, this is wishy-washy.

What if the 5th player and 5th status box is on the Wii U Gamepad? If that makes any sense.

Edit: I'm just brain-storming (-farting)

So I never played Xenoblade. This being the spiritual successor, will it actually have a story to follow? With cutscenes and the traditional single player elements? Or is it just similar to Monster Hunter?

Sophia

So I never played Xenoblade. This being the spiritual successor, will it actually have a story to follow? With cutscenes and the traditional single player elements? Or is it just similar to Monster Hunter?

Nothing like Monster Hunter. At all. It just appears to have optional online co-op. If anything it'll probably one of the most story heavy RPGs to come out in years. :p

Story is the one thing you don't need to worry about with this team.

Well we dont know anything abou x. Regarding xenoblade. It is a traditional jrpg in regards to storytelling with untraditionally big scale. Nothing like monster hunter. X might be more like monhun though.

onilink88

Something else worth bringing up from the first teaser:

If green dots are human players, they both seem to be missing status boxes here, too...

That might make sense. When exploring, party members just follow you around (basically you control them), when in battle (and these battles seem to ranging in scope) they operate individually.

Sorry, missed ya' there. But this also seems like it could be a valid explanation.

Nothing like Monster Hunter. At all. It just appears to have optional online co-op. If anything it'll probably one of the most story heavy RPGs to come out in years. :p

Story is the one thing you don't need to worry about with this team.

Awesome. Can't wait to see more.

Zornica

Banned
I still wonder what gives people the impression that this would be anything like monster hunter?
I guess most people haven't either played monster hunter or watched the trailer.

could someone edit the topic to "not like monster hunter, at all" or something similar? :p

Sophia

Awesome. Can't wait to see more.

Yeah, don't we all. According to the director, Xenoblade was essentially a side-project of sorts for the team and not intended to be their magnum opus. This bodes very well for the game.

I still wonder what gives people the impression that this would be anything like monster hunter?
I guess most people haven't either played monster hunter or watched the trailer.

could someone edit the topic to "not like monster hunter, at all" or something similar? :p

The initial trailer is a bit confusing, as most people don't realize that these are teasers, and not full trailers. Plus there's the whole "It's got co-op and big monsters and it's Japanese, it must be like Monster Hunter!!!" belief going around, not helped by the fact that lots of Japanese developers are making Monster Hunter clones...

I've never played Monster Hunter, just watched a few videos over the years. Just seeing the player running through big open fields and fighting monsters gave me a similar vibe is all lol.

This looks really good. I'm wondering if it's open world or how they're going to design the different areas in the game.

Clevinger

Xenoblade was story heavy. The only thing it has in common with Monster Hunter is you occasionally fight big monsters on the field. That's about it.

Instro

Presumably they haven't played Xenoblade, or Monster Hunter, or both.

I've never played Monster Hunter, just watched a few videos over the years. Just seeing the player running through big open fields and fighting monsters gave me a similar vibe is all lol.

This looks really good. I'm wondering if it's open world or how they're going to design the different areas in the game.

The best way to think about Xenoblade is as a single player MMO. Monster Hunter is basically an action game based around crafting.

Zornica

Banned

must've been some nifty edited mh videos than, because the "open fields" in MH are non-existent and pretty tiny ;)
hardly larger than some of the monsters themselves.

Iwata said something about a seamless world. With that in mind and from what we saw, it's probably going to be one huge chunk of land, whereas xenoblade consisted of ~23 very large maps connected through loading zones.

edit:
The best way to think about Xenoblade is as a single player MMO. Monster Hunter is basically an action game based around crafting.
MH is more like an arena brawler. Every Area consists of a dozen arenas between which you keep moving constantly.

Sophia

I don't even think that's an apt comparison. Most MMOs have significantly more action buttons (and significantly less movement) than Xenoblade does.

The best comparison is Guild Wars / Guild Wars 2. With Mecha. >_>;

ido

lol the creatures in Xenoblade dwarf the monsters in MH.

This is almost certainly nothing like MH. Judging from the combat, it looks almost identical to Xenoblade, with the same(possibly placeholder) combat UI and everything.

ugoo18

lol the creatures in Xenoblade dwarf the monsters in MH.

This is almost certainly nothing like MH. Judging from the combat, it looks almost identical to Xenoblade, with the same(possibly placeholder) combat UI and everything.

Hold on there, lets not get crazy now.

Xenoblade has some large monsters yes but Monster Hunter wins easily when it comes to Monster Size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaFzKLinHnM

EDIT: 3rd character in the bottom left is your human character vs every Monster in Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate

onilink88

What if the 5th player and 5th status box is on the Wii U Gamepad? If that makes any sense.

Edit: I'm just brain-storming (-farting)

Hey, at least you're not doing any worse than I am; I've been totally off my game tonight. :(

Has anyone noticed the yellow circle thing when you target on to enemies? I think the circle gauge gets filled up more, but I can't figure out what it is.

credit to onilink88

Haha, didn't need to credit me for that. :p

Health for specific body parts is my guess.

And yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom