• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ido

Hold on there, lets not get crazy now.

Xenoblade has some large monsters yes but Monster Hunter wins easily when it comes to Monster Size.

I really don't know, especially if you take the Mechon into considering.

The Reinforcement M104 is pretty huge, for example:

http://youtu.be/CMln-pdT0oM?t=7m5s

But I will conceed if I am wrong here, as I have honestly not played more than 30 hours of Monster Hunter. X's monsters look even bigger than anything in Xenoblade though, at least.

I finally watched the videos for this. This game looks like a blast, but I'm a little underwhelmed after seeing it used as the prime example of Wii U power lately.

Still, very nice, and I want to play it.

joetachi

I really don't know, especially if you take the Mechon into considering.

The Reinforcement M104 is pretty huge, for example:

http://youtu.be/CMln-pdT0oM?t=7m5s

But I will conceed if I am wrong here, as I have honestly not played more than 30 hours of Monster Hunter. X's monsters look even bigger than anything in Xenoblade though, at least.

technically you're not wrong xenoblade has an avarage of monsters that are bigger than the avarage in monster hunter. x's monsters are definitely and order of magnitude bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg

GameFAQs said:
Lets find the king we lost
All the people cry in vain
Trying to live your life
In the sky where I can fly

Tell me what's been hid
Tell me you're awake
And he's always here
While the long time whirl

There's a voice that says
Your heart or my soul
And the sun goes down
With all of my calls

So where's your feelings
And where is your life
Oh titan god
Nobody's ever seen
tumblr_mgzlsp8Q0w1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Sophia

Those lyrics aren't entirely correct. Specifically the first line, as there is no noticeable sound like the "k" in King in there. Sadly, due to the nature of Mika Kobayashi's accent + Engrish in general, we'll probably not know what the three questionable lines are until the OST releases.

Weirdly you can hear a "ki" sound in the male vocalist in the background. Might just be her accent. Really wish they'd release the lyrics to the trailer.

EDIT: Actually, now that I've listened to it more it sounds like "Lets find the thing we've lost", which makes more sense than anything else I've heard.

ozfunghi

Awesome. Can't wait to see more.

I've never played Monster Hunter, just watched a few videos over the years. Just seeing the player running through big open fields and fighting monsters gave me a similar vibe is all lol.

This looks really good. I'm wondering if it's open world or how they're going to design the different areas in the game.

So I never played Xenoblade. This being the spiritual successor, will it actually have a story to follow? With cutscenes and the traditional single player elements? Or is it just similar to Monster Hunter?

What you should do, is watch BOTH trailers for X. The first one is more about battle (action RPG battle system, looks identical to Xenoblade's), the second trailer is showing off more of the different environments.

Then check out some of Xenoblade's youtube vids to give you an idea about the "open world" aspect. In Xenoblade, the "two worlds" were basically the bodies of two giant gods, that were locked in battle at a certain time. Xenoblade may not be what you expect from an open world, but it's just so enormous, and only has a couple of loading points, that it's really amazing. You'll find video's that are sped up and have the characters traverse a part of the world in maybe 15 minutes, before encountering a loading point (edit: in this vid you actually encounter a couple of loading spots: spoilers obviously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLadRkjbXSc). This is just running through the world (not engaging in battle or following a quest) at maybe 3 times normal speed.

So will it be like Xenoblade? It seems to have a lot in common, but there are a couple of distinct differences, that might indicate it is not a true successor, but more like a new project that borrows heavily from Xenoblade but with it's own unique story and world. But Xenoblade was nothing like MonHun, and isn't about killing and collecting monsters. It's an RPG, which only occasionally forces you to fight some of the many monsters.

Sophia

Graphics look seriously about as good as some PS4/Xbone titles. Goddamn.

Monolith Soft has an impressive record when it comes to technical aspects, Xenosaga Episode 2 aside. I wouldn't be surprised if they went utter crazy and let you fly around an entire planet.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
I think the difference between the graphics in PS4 titles versus the graphics in Wii U titles will be the smaller details in the game. Some of the face work in PS4 titles are really really nice.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Destiny is a current gen game as well though.

As Project X, being on Wii U HAHAHAHAHAH :D

I choose Destiny because it has probably the best graphic on PS4Xbone considering how vast and open it seems from the actual gameplay videos we saw, so I think that tells you a lot about the graphical visible leap this time around, imho

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Um, not really. That open space on Destiny is playable space as well and it will be playable space on PS3 and 360. So using it as a next gen tent-pole for what PS4 and One are capable of compared to Wii U is sketchy.

Don't be pissed of by my comparison: it doesn't change neither the reality of things nor your opinion :)

I'm simply amazed about Project X graphics, considering that it is on Wii U and considering what I saw at E3 on vastly more powerful consoles.

ozfunghi

Graphics look seriously about as good as some PS4/Xbone titles. Goddamn.

I'm glad you feel this way, and have the objectivity to acknowledge the effort put into the graphics for this game, running on "a mere Wii U"
after i've seen you borderline troll the console on B3D :)

Mondriaan

Don't be pissed of by my comparison: it doesn't change neither the reality of things nor your opinion :)

I'm simply amazed about Project X graphics, considering that it is on Wii U and considering what I saw at E3 on vastly more powerful consoles.
To be fair, most Wii U games don't look anywhere as nice as X.

Dude Heavy is constantly praising Knack's visuals, that should tell you to ignore anything he has to say about Xs graphical prowess pretty much
I know, I've checked his post history if he had posted another deliberate inflammatory post in this thread he would have been my first GAFfer on my ignore list =P. As he really did just came into the thread to crap on the graphics and showed no interest in playing X.

ozfunghi

How that guy has managed to avoid getting banned is almost impressive.

It's beyond impressive. Almost as impressive as X's graphics :)

He's not alone though.

And that's not even it's final form.
lol

Neither are PS4/XBone games though...
now it will be interesting to see if games on those consoles end up looking even better than we are currently led to believe, or actually worse.

Coming from the guy that dismissed every argument about WiiU ports being held back by their current-gen roots and being shoe-horned. ROFL.

Sucks we didn't get Disaster:DOC over here in the states. Heard it was quite good. What I wouldn't mind is letting Xseed get a hold of their engine for The Last Story: Chapter 2.

You means mistwalker and AQ Entertainment right? Xseed only published last story in NA because nintendo didnt do it (its a AQ/mistwalker developed and nintendo published game elsewhere)

That said I would love Last Story 2.

ozfunghi

...I'm not a member of B3D dude lol.

Damn, sorry then. I thought you were the same guy because you once posted something similar within the same few days. Apologies good sir.

Sucks we didn't get Disaster:DOC over here in the states. Heard it was quite good. What I wouldn't mind is letting Xseed get a hold of their engine for The Last Story: Chapter 2.

Disaster was a special game. I think it was certainly overlooked. It was in fact a casual game with many mini-game gameplay mechanics, wrapped up as a core title. I think that's what threw most people off, because they weren't expecting it, and expected some RE4-like gameplay or something. It was still enjoyable once you embraced it for what it was. It would have been a perfect game to lure your girlfriend into playing more seriously themed games.

D-e-f-

Banned
People, please stfu about console/power war nonsense in here. We don't need this to shit up this thread as well.

1. There doesn't appear to be any blue dots (which represent you, yeah?); all five dots are green here.
2. Which brings us to the other problem you pointed out: if green dots are human players, then why are there only four player status boxes? That'd either mean one box was left out for who knows what reason or that, if your AI being able to join a human party theory is true, it'd be represented by a green dot, too, no?

Man, this is wishy-washy.

The center dot (player character, you) is still there, it's not green. It looks like it is because there's a green dot covering part of it.

Btw, new thing: as we can see in this following pic, town-NPCs are yellow dots.

wrowa

I hope they are still adding a map to that radar.

Sucks we didn't get Disaster:DOC over here in the states. Heard it was quite good.

Good would be too much of a praise. It's something that can be described as an "interesting experience". Quite unique, fun in its own way, but not really "good" by any definition of the word. It's one of these games where it's apparent that the studio tried to work on a genre they are completely unfamiliar with.

I'd take a sequel theoretcially, but since such a game would take up precious resources that could instead be used for a potentially awesome new RPG instead of a game that's not going to be more than "quirky fun" anyway I gladly decline.

People, please stfu about console/power war nonsense in here. We don't need this to shit up this thread as well.

I agree with that. I'd also be nice if the same old gifs wouldn't be posted again and again on every second page...

Hoping we are getting to a point where people will put Wii U with PS4/One and NOT PS3/360.

It's closer to the latter than the former from what we know.

Btw, new thing: as we can see in this following pic, town-NPCs are yellow dots.

You sure? All of the NPCs on the actual screen are either in a straight line ahead of the protagonist or off to his right. The light would be pointing where he's looking on the radar, and none of the people match up with those yellow dots.

Sheroking

Which might mean more if it wasn't easily one of the five best looking next-gen games we've seen.

In all honesty, I wouldn't compare it to PS4 stuff - but I don't think there's a comparable PS360 game that matches it. I honestly didn't expect to be saying that.

D-e-f-

Banned
It's closer to the latter than the former from what we know.

You sure? All of the NPCs on the actual screen are either in a straight line ahead of the protagonist or off to his right. The light would be pointing where he's looking on the radar, and none of the people match up with those yellow dots.

Yes very sure as the on-screen NPCs are just random visual flavor, think "Colony 9 Resident" - all the yellow dots will be named NPCs that you can actually talk to.

And again, shut up about console power talk. This has NO place in here.

Yes very sure as the on-screen NPCs are just random visual flavor, think "Colony 9 Resident" - all the yellow dots will be named NPCs that you can actually talk to.

And again, shut up about console power talk. This has NO place in here.

Mm, cool.

And calm yourself.

Mondriaan

I wonder what the impression of the Wii U would be if this would have made launch.
I think reception to the Wii U in Japan would also have been more favorable. It doesn't seem like a game that makes a strong case for the controller from what little we've seen, though.

Which might mean more if it wasn't easily one of the five best looking next-gen games we've seen.

In all honesty, I wouldn't compare it to PS4 stuff - but I don't think there's a comparable PS360 game that matches it. I honestly didn't expect to be saying that.

Yeah....no. BF4, Witcher 3, Infamous Second Son, The Division, MGSV, Killzone:SF, FFXV all look better than it. Destiny's good looking as it has a great art style. Why don't you compare something like the Witcher 3, an actual next gen open world rpg and see the difference.

m0t0k1

Normally i dont check out a guys ass but because his ass is always in every shot i have to say. damn that guy has dat ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom