• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game looks fantastic, etc, but what's with Nintendo being all coy with the title? If it's just "X," then why not just say that if you're going to keep showing the "X?" Or how about say X is the working title instead of the clumsy "new game by Monolith Soft" moniker? What could be so secret about the name? Is the big secret that it's actually just Xenogears? Is that what they're doing?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Assassin's Creed 4 looks nice. X looks considerably better, except for its animation. Not to mention the scope of X is much larger.

Not to mention the fact that X has most likely more than a solid year left in the oven, while AC4 is probably wrapping up soon.

Lol, i didn't realize that monolith was owned by Nintendo. Fwiw I was planning on buying the game on release and then picking up a wiiu after the next price drop that is likely coming fairly soon. This game is in my top 3 of e3 2013...but do please keep piling it on. Kind of amusing to watch.

Oh come on man, you're in a thread that does have Nintendo fans in it. It's like walking into an official XBone thread (that obviously has XBone fans in it) and making cloud/DRM jokes.

This year is not a problem starting from August (be it Nintendo titles or third party - Ghosts is confirmed as well). The problem starts when multiplats only get release on the next gen, can the Wii U keep up at the beginning at least? I don't think so, so third party in 2014 will be next to nothing but then again... we have Mario Kart, X, Smash and Bayonetta 2 (at least) in 2014. I can't say I'm upset with that... I'm upset with Retro doing DK. That and only that.

Assassin's Creed 4 looks nice. X looks considerably better, except for its animation. Not to mention the scope of X is much larger.

How big is the open-world for X? If it's truly huge then I'm fine with admitting I'm wrong about that. AC games have huge worlds as well but they're not really seamlessly open-world in the GTA sense, it's like massive hub worlds almost. I've only played AC1 and AC 2.

Calamari41

41 > 38
How big is the open-world for X? If it's truly huge then I'm fine with admitting I'm wrong about that. AC games have huge worlds as well but they're not really seamlessly open-world in the GTA sense, it's like massive hub worlds almost. I've only played AC1 and AC 2.

Did you even watch the trailer? It shows you how big the open world potentially is very clearly.

keakster

Titanfall + Destiny = X

amirite???

Surely won't include as many players at once, but I'm hoping for some sort of online co-op

also added bonus of probably not being bombarded by microtransactions

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Game looks fantastic, etc, but what's with Nintendo being all coy with the title? If it's just "X," then why not just say that if you're going to keep showing the "X?" Or how about say X is the working title instead of the clumsy "new game by Monolith Soft" moniker? What could be so secret about the name? Is the big secret that it's actually just Xenogears? Is that what they're doing?

I think it's safe to assume that it's not Xenoblade 2. Why keep that a secret.

Could it be Xenogears related... maybe.

Can't imagine Square having a big desire to hold onto the brand.

ivysaur12

Banned
Mechs look really cool, but anyone else just disturbed on a fundamental level by the faces in this game? Creepy as all fuck.

I mean...

xenoblade-shocked-face.jpg

Dark Oni

Remind me again why people give a crap about FF XV and KOH3? Square has shown nothing but incompetence for 8 years and FFXV was originally a PS3 vaporware. The less said about KOH the better.

THIS is how you make a goddamn RPG. HD towns and all.

yup agree

yup agree

Oh please.

Can't we just be happy we're actually getting ambitious, big budget, beautiful Japanese RPGs again? Why do we have to dismiss any one in favour of another?

I for one am ecstatic that 'X' vindicates my Wii U purchase and FFXV/KHIII make my impending PS4 purchases entirely warranted.

Mondriaan

I liked the trailer.

The vehicles/mecha could use a bit of work to make them seem like they have more "weight". The early part of the trailer did a good job with that, though.

Remind me again why people give a crap about FF XV and KOH3? Square has shown nothing but incompetence for 8 years and FFXV was originally a PS3 vaporware. The less said about KOH the better.

THIS is how you make a goddamn RPG. HD towns and all.

Ok...

cause it's based off a spinoff, that wasn't afraid to do something different and

...it looks fun

It's been awhile for FF

But still...

quickone6wjzi.gif

<3

I want Gif's of flying Dolls Gaf

Why are they being so quiet about this game (just trailers, no details/interviews/previews) :( I'm totally engrossed in Xenoblade right now (playing for the first time) so I'm super hyped for this.

Taruranto

Why are they being so quiet about this game (just trailers, no details/interviews/previews) :( I'm totally engrossed in Xenoblade right now (playing for the first time) so I'm super hyped for this.

They were probably waiting for the E3 for the big "reveal", we'll probably start to get more info soon.

Rich!

Some key points that tie this into being a Xenoblade sequel:

- The item orbs are back. Can be seen in a couple of scenes, and one gets picked up.
- The battle system is relatively the same as in Xenoblade, as shown in the last trailer. Auras are still around, as is the art system and action icon.
- Look at the flowing lights running around the mechs. Remind you of anything? Yeah, Mechon and Faces. Exactly the same.
- The shulk lookalike in the first trailer.
- The ending of Xenoblade - go out and find new worlds. They do that. Their ship crashes (the monolithsoft promo art is obviously this, going by the two moons). They build a civilization.

Those are my thoughts anyway, feel free to discuss.

I have a feeling they haven't announced the title yet because they want Xenoblade 2 to be a big reveal in terms of the name.

FF XV is looking good but I'm not going to be hyped for that, SE have fucked around way too much with FF. When we see more of it and when I can preferably try it, then I'll see if it is worth it to be excited for.

X on the other hand comes from Xenoblade and that's that. Nothing more needs to be said.

Hell yes, I was waiting for this!

Customisable player characters perhaps? Still seems odd that the only person we've had a clear look at is Shulk/NotShulk.

Personally I hope not. And I kind of doubt something like that in a Takahashi game.

The characters clothes/weapon etc. changing with equipment was good enough in this area.

I think they're just being secretive with the characters.

Oh please.

Can't we just be happy we're actually getting ambitious, big budget, beautiful Japanese RPGs again? Why do we have to dismiss any one in favour of another?

I for one am ecstatic that 'X' vindicates my Wii U purchase and FFXV/KHIII make my impending PS4 purchases entirely warranted.

This man. These two days have been so long in coming for a JRPG fan looking at these three gorgeous games.

ozfunghi

It was a screenshot posted by MYE in another thread, and it was a larger size instead of the near-thumbnails posted in this one.

And what's so wrong about thinking AC4 looks more impressive? Look at the environment, how many more polys (what's the plural of that, btw?), more structures and art assets, more NPCs, far far far better animation. And it's also a huge world.

Granted, I haven't seen the Wii U version of AC4. Just basing it on what we saw yesterday and 360/PS3 gameplay.

straight from looneyville, lol

Seriously though, if you want to believe AC4 on ps3 looks better than this, by all means, praise that game in the appointed topic. No need to troll this one and try to convince people who actually still have their vision.

Rich!

When X freezes and locks up as well as Black Flag does, then I'm sure we'll be able to compare them a bit more fairly.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah wtf was that at the conference? I thought the stream froze but I guess the game did it?

Was the game. Shit like that happens all the time with early builds, which is why usually they have pre-prepped footage for stage shows just so that things like that dont happen.

straight from looneyville, lol

Seriously though, if you want to believe AC4 on ps3 looks better than this, by all means, praise that game in the appointed topic. No need to troll this one and try to convince people who actually still have their vision.
Those gifs really put it into perspective..

zashga

Best-looking game of the Nintendo Direct for sure. Curious to see more about how the game actually plays; have they directly mentioned a multiplayer component? The "Player 1" stuff visible on the HUD seems like a pretty good indication. Unless it's just placeholder text for mystery character names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom