• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

schuelma said:
I think we're going to need a separate online threads for newbies like me. I don't want to embarrass myself too bad in front of the pro's!

Actually, the guys in the other MH threads are pretty cool. You don't need to worry about it.

You just have to share "the first time I got raped by Chameleos" story.

Shiv47

My only disappointment about Tri is that it means MHFU probably gets set aside for more or less good, as I don't have the time to devote to both games and still play anything else. Looking forward to a better control scheme and new beasts to kill, though.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
Ok I will explain how the gauge in Long Sword works. Basically there are 3 levels for the gauge. You start by getting as much hit as possible to accumulate the gauge to max. Once its max it wont deplete and you are able to execute the final slash. Each hit of the final slash will turns the gauge to another color, white -> yellow -> red.

White - 1.05 X Atk Power
Yellow - 1.1 X Atk Power
Red - 1.3 X Atk Power

After a certain period of time, the color will revert back to normal and you got to repeat the whole process again.
So spirit combos are no longer tied to the spirit gauge, just the final attack? Hmm, that's a bigger revamp then I was expecting. I wonder how the damage formulas have been modified to accommodate all the changes to all the weapons.

Shiv47 said:
My only disappointment about Tri is that it means MHFU probably gets set aside for more or less good, as I don't have the time to devote to both games and still play anything else. Looking forward to a better control scheme and new beasts to kill, though.

A transferrable save system (although i know the games are different) if it started you out with some extra material with which to craft some gear and get you up to speed a little more quickly...yeah, that would be nice.

Shiv47 said:

I thought this as well but there's just so much game there for MHFU. I'm nowhere near done and there's monsters in FU that aren't in Tri. Not to mention it's a pretty different (and extremely fucking convient) experience on a handheld.

Tenbatsu

Luigiv said:
So spirit combos are no longer tied to the spirit gauge, just the final attack? Hmm, that's a bigger revamp then I was expecting. I wonder how the damage formulas have been modified to accommodate all the changes to all the weapons.
I can honestly say that all the weapons are pretty balance now. I have the links to the damage calculator but nvm that, they are way too complicated:lol

Effect

radcliff said:
Why not just pre-order and, if you don't want the game, ask to put the money towards a different game?

You don't have to do that. You aren't suppose to need to do that. GameStop's that tell you that you get it if you pre-order are simply lying and trying to scam you. The demo is suppose to be 100% free. End of story.

There has to be a way to report the GameStops that are doing this. Is there a number or address at Capcom one can do this?

Shiv47

AgentOtaku said:
I thought this as well but there's just so much game there for MHFU. I'm nowhere near done and there's monsters in FU that aren't in Tri. Not to mention it's a pretty different (and extremely fucking convient) experience on a handheld.

Oh, there's a ton of game left for me in FU (currently at HR6), but I just don't see being able or willing to keep up with it once Tri arrives. That's just me, though. I do need to hit Game Stop now to snag a demo disc.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
I can honestly say that all the weapons are pretty balance now. I have the links to the damage calculator but nvm that, they are way too complicated:lol
So does that mean they even completely re-did the damage formulas? I mean the old Damage formulas are pretty simple :lol. The team really weren't kidding when they said they wanted to rebalance the weapons.

ravien56

bigdaddygamebot said:
Actually, the guys in the other MH threads are pretty cool. You don't need to worry about it.

You just have to share "the first time I got raped by Chameleos" story.
Yea...its a deep game with a lot of mechanics so everything is gonna be pretty overwhelming at first. Poke points, farming, cats, getting raped by a velociprey. Man I'm jealous of you noobs. I remember feeling like a fucking king when I finally killed that dick head Khezu...then that first fight with Rathalos and he just stomped on me and I died asap and now I've killed that asshole 200 times. When you get the game, just don't jump straight online and expect to be fighting rathalos...because you'll just get killed asap and it will be discouraging when your getting raped. Try to do it solo, get a hang of things, pick your weapon and upgrade it, and try to kill a khezu or something then head online when you're experienced.

ravien56 said:
Yea...its a deep game with a lot of mechanics so everything is gonna be pretty overwhelming at first. Poke points, farming, cats, getting raped by a velociprey. Man I'm jealous of you noobs. I remember feeling like a fucking king when I finally killed that dick head Khezu...then that first fight with Rathalos and he just stomped on me and I died asap and now I've killed that asshole 200 times. When you get the game, just don't jump straight online and expect to be fighting rathalos...because you'll just get killed asap and it will be discouraging when your getting raped. Try to do it solo, get a hang of things, pick your weapon and upgrade it, and try to kill a khezu or something then head online when you're experienced.

Oh khezu...that bastard sucked up so much of my life. I take no small amout of enjoyment when I wear the full suit, even though going in naked into a hunt would probably provide better protection.

The time limit on the demo's second quest is kind of massively unforgiving. Liking the added Long Sword move though, what does it mean when the blade is glowing gold though?

upandaway

SecretBonusPoint said:
The time limit on the demo's second quest is kind of massively unforgiving. Liking the added Long Sword move though, what does it mean when the blade is glowing gold though?
The weapons glow for certain things?

Think it'll be bad for colorblind?

ravien56

bigdaddygamebot said:
Oh khezu...that bastard sucked up so much of my life. I take no small amout of enjoyment when I wear the full suit, even though going in naked into a hunt would probably provide better protection.
Man I remember when I killed that asshole, I looked at the full gear set, he looked like fucking altair from Assasin's Creed, I was like this looks fucking SICK! Then I checked out the requirements to make the helm...Pale Bone...which only a Khezu plus dropped at the time and was sad. Later when I killed that khezu plus, I ended up making that armor just for the memories.

ITT We recall getting raped by Khezu.

Tenbatsu

SecretBonusPoint said:
Repost again:

Ok I will explain how the gauge in Long Sword works. Basically there are 3 levels for the gauge. You start by getting as much hit as possible to accumulate the gauge to max. Once its max it wont deplete and you are able to execute the final slash. Each hit of the final slash will turns the gauge to another color, white -> yellow -> red.

White - 1.05 X Atk Power
Yellow - 1.1 X Atk Power
Red - 1.3 X Atk Power

After a certain period of time, the color will revert back to normal and you got to repeat the whole process again.

Luigiv

upandaway said:
The weapons glow for certain things?

Think it'll be bad for colorblind?
No, the colours are white, yellow and red. By that account the sharpness guage shouldn't be any sort of issue either.

ShinNL

I'd like to note that MH newbies shouldn't have to worry too much. Lower rank quests have free items in the starting location box so even if you forget things like cool drinks you can still find it there. It's just that vets are in the highest rank (G-rank) for such a long time we forget that such things even existed (starting locations turn into random starting locations and no free items and no maps).

Whoever said that heavy bowguns must have a shield, hasn't played a high damage bowgun style before :p (a power barrel attachment instead of a shield increases the damage a lot more)

ravien56

Soneet said:
I'd like to note that MH newbies shouldn't have to worry too much. Lower rank quests have free items in the starting location box so even if you forget things like cool drinks you can still find it there. It's just that vets are in the highest rank (G-rank) for such a long time we forget that such things even existed (starting locations turn into random starting locations and no free items and no maps).

Whoever said that heavy bowguns must have a shield, hasn't played a high damage bowgun style before :p (a power barrel attachment instead of a shield increases the damage a lot more)
Just the other day though for MHFU, I actually had no steaks and I needed Chameleos gear so I went and did that, just a normal quest, and I grabbed the 3 rations....10 minutes later, I had no more rations because the fucker stole one.

ravien56 said:
Man I remember when I killed that asshole, I looked at the full gear set, he looked like fucking altair from Assasin's Creed, I was like this looks fucking SICK! Then I checked out the requirements to make the helm...Pale Bone...which only a Khezu plus dropped at the time and was sad. Later when I killed that khezu plus, I ended up making that armor just for the memories.

ITT We recall getting raped by Khezu.

I thought the very same.

Somehow, I ended up with a full suit way, WAY before I fought a khezu plus. I remember learning to farm plesioth wearing my full khezu armour.

Bizzyb

Banned
:lol

Man, I have No idea what the hell a Chameleos is or anything else you guys are referencing but it's getting me even more hyped to play the game! Thanks for the entertainment. Already got the CC Pro bundle pre-ordered from Amazon

edit: not even going to play demo disc. Just going to jump in completely "naked" and hope I don't suck too bad as it turns me off

1831960.jpg

6273815.jpg

OMG i just beat the Great Jaggi without dieing! I switched from lance to great sword and im just tearing shit a new asshole. god damn i cant wait im still too chicken to try the Qurupeco. Also this game made me order component cables for me wii finally will be here in plenty of time for the real thing. I WANT THIS GAME NOW.

ravien56

bigdaddygamebot said:
I thought the very same.

Somehow, I ended up with a full suit way, WAY before I fought a khezu plus. I remember learning to farm plesioth wearing my full khezu armour.
Plesioth is the worst boss in the game to fight. Hes just fucking annoying and his gear sucks. I groan everytime I had to fight that fucker. He just runs all the time into the water.

ravien56 said:
Plesioth is the worst boss in the game to fight. Hes just fucking annoying and his gear sucks. I groan everytime I had to fight that fucker. He just runs all the time into the water.

I actually don't mind Plesioth, but yeah, I've heard that from fellow hunters :lol

Alex

He's not that bad, but if you're having a bad run on him and he keeps hitting you with that goddamned broken hip check of his... I wish I had that picture I saw awhile ago that showed the size of planets, galaxies and at the end "range of Plesioth's hipcheck"

The one that pisses me off the most is still Teostra or maybe a solo Diablos, especially the fancier breeds, I suck at those.

When will we get the official thread? <3

Captain Chaos said:
Wow.

Tenbatsu said:
Yes, you are able to do all of the above online. However I will recommend making weapons/armors offline as if you make a mistake, you can still reset the game. Everything is autosave in online.
Woot, thanks.

gogojira

Played it a bit last night. It's pretty fun, but I imagine it's a lot better online. Combat is hard to adjust to and I was pathetic with a crossbow.

I will say though, there were way too many load times and the graphics were a bit worse than I thought they'd be.

Still interested though, and I'll still probably pick it up with a CC Pro.

ravien56

Alex said:
He's not that bad, but if you're having a bad run on him and he keeps hitting you with that goddamned broken hip check of his... I wish I had that picture I saw awhile ago that showed the size of planets, galaxies and at the end "range of Plesioth's hipcheck"

The one that pisses me off the most is still Teostra or maybe a solo Diablos, especially the fancier breeds, I suck at those.
I know how to fight him easy too...you just need sonic bombs, but his hip check is bullshit and hes pretty big. Just get True Devil Slicer and you're good but hes still an asshole. Diablos is pretty easy though and I have fun with him, chop off his tail then his horns then kill him, and I've foughten Monoblos and diablos so many times, I know his exact patterns. Teostra, I'm still new at, and I need to use a lot of flash bombs when hes raging.

Chairhome

Just called Gamestop and they said that the demo is for reserves only. :-/

I hope Capcom contacts them and has corporate send out a memo.

Bizzyb said:
:lol

Man, I have No idea what the hell a Chameleos is or anything else you guys are referencing but it's getting me even more hyped to play the game! Thanks for the entertainment. Already got the CC Pro bundle pre-ordered from Amazon

edit: not even going to play demo disc. Just going to jump in completely "naked" and hope I don't suck too bad as it turns me off

Chameleos will wreck your shit...and he'll do it the first time in about eleven seconds.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
kafka rock opera said:
OMG i just beat the Great Jaggi without dieing! I switched from lance to great sword and im just tearing shit a new asshole. god damn i cant wait im still too chicken to try the Qurupeco. Also this game made me order component cables for me wii finally will be here in plenty of time for the real thing. I WANT THIS GAME NOW.

That's a pretty impressive feat for a new player. GS is one of the harder weapons to learn. Congrats. :D

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
ravien56 said:

You and every other monster hunter out there hates plesioth with a PASSION. (Especially G ranked - ughhhhhhhhhh)

Seraphis Cain said:
That's a pretty impressive feat for a new player. GS is one of the harder weapons to learn. Congrats. :D
Hah thanks! Im having a blast learning the weapons, i switched to the great hammer thing to check it out and explore a little bit but i got sidetracked by trying to kill the jaggi again. That spinning hammer attack is so beast. And i Nth the avatar request hype train is hitting full steam! Guess ill try the long sword next and then finally onto the 3 star hunt.

CheapChampagne said:
You and every other monster hunter out there hates plesioth with a PASSION. (Especially G ranked - ughhhhhhhhhh)

And i thought myself as crazy, thank the lord.

His hip check is soooo annoying and it doesn't actually have to hit you to connect :(

i still haven't done the Dual Plesioth Elder quest because of that horseshit

ravien56

Infinite Justice said:
And i though myself as crazy, thank the lord.

His hip check is soooo annoying and it doesn't actually have to hit you to connect :(

i still haven't done the Dual Plesioth Elder quest because of that horseshit
Hmm...the G rank one? Or plus one?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Tenbatsu said:
Fair enough, I am sorry if I insulted you in some way but I don't mean it. However I did say 'try' so its up to you to pick what you wanna use really.

For gunnery, they are unable to deal damage as fast as compared to the other weapons, however they are very effective in team play. Sort of like the playmaker in the team.
naw, I just get kind of ticked off when there's a whole "when you're better" tiering of weapons. I felt the same with Demon Souls and this isn't much different, except that I actually had a bunch of fun repositioning myself with the gunner, and not the clunky controls for the broken rogue.

I DID give the lancer a try. Very defensive, but I ran out of time with that one too. The reason I'm doing Gunner though is because I plan to be a team player. As a strategist, it's in my best interest to learn what would let me see the whole field, but still be able to do damage.

So I have been thinking of getting into Monster Hunter, I tried the PSP ones but would rather play it on a big screen with a real controller. My question is, does anyone know if Tri has a tutorial of some sort for new players to get into the game and learn the basics.

Alex

Don't rely on the Spin Attack too much. Well, I'm not overly sure how parameters have changed, but in MHFU your main tour de force was the Super Pound, until you catch em trapped, in animation lock, etc then triple pound. Triple Pound is crazy damage, especially if the golf swing finale on it connects.

A great boon hammer has is that enough successive head connections will result in disorienting the monster, causing it to fall down and struggle for a few.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shiv47 said:
Oh, there's a ton of game left for me in FU (currently at HR6), but I just don't see being able or willing to keep up with it once Tri arrives. That's just me, though. I do need to hit Game Stop now to snag a demo disc.

Not related to the thread or anything, but your avatar is awesome. Riderfans unite! :D

Top Bottom