• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 coming September 14th (Japan), 2 new special 3DS XLs announced

Stuck in the past? Or more likely well aware of where exactly the majority of their fanbase is located and creates games for them.

Mhp3, a japan only psp game, is the best selling mh game yet. And it was released at a time when psp was the strongest and most expensive portable on the market.

Also your logic is broken. If what you say is true then nobody should try to make a bigger better game because thats not where the fanbase is.

Mh is losing its fanbase with these halfhearted rehashes. It might be picking up new kids who are just getting into it. But they are losing their veteran core.

Beth Cyra

Mhp3, a japan only psp game, is the best selling mh game yet. And it was released at a time when psp was the strongest and most expensive portable on the market.

Also your logic is broken. If what you say is true then nobody should try to make a bigger better game because thats not where the fanbase is.

Mh is losing its fanbase with these halfhearted rehashes. It might be picking up new kids who are just getting into it. But they are losing their veteran core.

Wait, how did you come to the end effect that they are losing the core?

Please don't say TriG on 3DS. Also how is a HD console game going to protect their core when Consoles are doing far worse then portables in Japan?

Wait, how did you come to the end effect that they are losing the core?

Please don't say TriG on 3DS. Also how is a HD console game going to protect their core when Consoles are doing far worse then portables in Japan?
Did I say console game? Its blatantly obvious that Sony basically made a next gen mh machine in the Vita. Its equally obvious the fanbase would go abolutely bonkers for such a game. But i really think the devs are content with their lot in life of basically not trying anmyore. Coding is hard. Lets flake!

Beth Cyra

Did I say console game? Its blatantly obvious that Sony basically made a next gen mh machine in the Vita. Its equally obvious the fanbase would go abolutely bonkers for such a game. But i really think the devs are content with their lot in life of basically not trying anmyore. Coding is hard. Lets flake!

Jesus, this shit is never going to end is it?

Well you can believe whatever you want I suppose.

Fewr

Wii U is a pretty good monster hunting box, I can play on tv or watch sports and play on gamepad.

Anura

P3rd also came out when EVERYONE and their grandma owned a PSP.

Japan has also voted on the consoles vs portables issue, and it seems they prefer portables. I kinda prefer portables too honestly.

Now there is nothing wrong with either the PSV or the 3DS, and a monster hunter on either would be great. I would like to point out however that saying "MH would sell/be better on handheld X" is a statement that reeks of salty tears and fanboyism (unless refering to the lack of a second stick).

Again there is nothing wrong with wanting it on another system but dismissal of the system it currently calls home because of it is just imature

Japan has also voted on the consoles vs portables issue, and it seems they prefer portables. I kinda prefer portables too honestly.

Now there is nothing wrong with either the PSV or the 3DS, and a monster hunter on either would be great. I would like to point out however that saying "MH would sell/be better on handheld X" is a statement that reeks of salty tears and fanboyism (unless refering to the lack of a second stick).

Again there is nothing wrong with wanting it on another system but dismissal of the system it currently calls home because of it is just imature

ehhhh not really

the 3DS is quite literally a slightly overclocked PSP, in fact there a few areas as far as hardware is concerned that the psp still beats the 3DS, saying that MH on Vita wouldn't be that much better is a little bit disingenuous, especially considering the gap in power between the 2. And that's not salt or fanboyism, that's just a fact. I can totally understand MH fans looking to truly see this franchise pushed being upset that it's basically stagnate now due to the limits of it's currents platform. However I also agree that it is a tried excuse to an already beaten to death argument, simply put get over it, Capcom made their decision and it's a simple as that. Deal with it.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Will these new LLs feature a 6th level brightness? Currently, that's the only thing holding me back, as I saw the pixel blocs in nu super mario bros. 2 and thought they were uber cool like scanlines.
The new vanilla 3DSes feature a 6th level brightness when unplugged, you think Nintendo will stealthily implement a 6th level or brightness for the nu XLs?

Wii U is a pretty good monster hunting box, I can play on tv or watch sports and play on gamepad.
I agree. I would love a mh built from scratch for wiiu. TriU is a port of a port of a rehash with better textures. Not exactly what im talking about.

Hmmm fanboysism is blind brand loyalty. Im a mh fan who is sick of the devs choosing the weakest platform to be lead platform. think of a racecar driver who wants to drive nurbergring but his sponsers only give him a fiesta to drive. Hes got nothing agaisnt the fiesta. But the track means so much more if you are driving a ferrari. Mh could be SO MUCH MORE than it is if they would only take the time to learn the next gen hardware.

Acid08

Banned
:lol the black XL looks awful, the white looks okay.

I hope no one who likes these thinks the AC XL is ugly. It's inconceivable.

Anura

ehhhh not really

the 3DS is quite literally a slightly overclocked PSP, in fact there a few areas as far as hardware is concerned that the psp still beats the 3DS, saying that MH on Vita wouldn't be that much better is a little bit disingenuous, especially considering the gap in power between the 2. And that's not salt or fanboyism, that's just a fact. I can totally understand MH fans looking to truly see this franchise pushed being upset that it's basically stagnate now due to the limits of it's currents platform. However I also agree that it is a tried excuse to an already beaten to death argument, simply put get over it, Capcom made their decision and it's a simple as that. Deal with it.

I never said anything about power. As I wholly agree with the vita being more powerful (and would be blind not to).

My point was more the about your last few lines

ehhhh not really

Its hip these days to say "deal with it", isnt it? I dont think Capcom is listening at all. I post this for my own satisfaction. If a girl dumps you it doesnt necessarily mean you stop liking her. I still want mh to achieve the greatness it once seemed to promise, even if its unlikely.

Its hip these days to say "deal with it", isnt it? I dont think Capcom is listening at all. I post this for my own satisfaction. If a girl dumps you it doesnt necessarily mean you stop liking her. I still want mh to achieve the greatness it once seemed to promise, even if its unlikely.
Instead of complaining here, why don't you just email Capcom or go to Capcom-unity? It's not like Capcom read these threads anyway.

Instead of complaining here, why don't you just email Capcom or go to Capcom-unity? It's not like Capcom read these threads anyway.
Ive posted there. Nobody with any power or even inside knowledge is on those boards. The real decision makers are all in Japan. There is nothing to be done except wait and complain, ha

Tenbatsu

E-Capcom MH4 Bundle
http://www.e-capcom.com/mh4/

R3ZmfXN.jpg

DzUbkHp.jpg

lQGKA45.jpg

EruN8xc.jpg

VeHFz35.jpg

XSWoHaM.jpg

GxyuoQP.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/03034277.html

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYyGQPugz8 (Village)
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIqYDWGhQHE (Frog Monster)

They are uploading more parts, keep an eye on their channel.

Video (Frog/Gypceros), Report, GIFs: http://trinfo.jp/blog-entry-885.html

IABjuHb.gif

HHs are so cool. T___________T

From GF:

Had some nice new stuff. Towns look great, and you move between them by selecting an option called "World Map." Tsujimoto said "This is a ROM very close to the finished game" and told the MC "not to touch anything unless I tell you it's okay." When he was selecting the quests they stopped showing the screens so they wouldn't give anything anyway.

Charge Axe looks awesome. It works as posted on the board in other threads. Charges even to Red pretty quickly, and the charge animation itself it pretty quick. When it starts whirling around in axe mode for the special attack - super cool.

Also showed off the jumping, ridiing, Testukabrua looks pretty cool and they also showed MH4 Grylos for the first time, although he didn't do much new stuff.

Different insect appearance for different staffs was also confirmed.

No mention of a demo or anything else new in terms of news on that side of things. There was a disclaimer on the screen that the broadcast was lowering the quality of the footage, but as always, it looks far better running than it does in stills. I don't think anyone will be complaining once they have this on their LL, in their hands.

fr4nz

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYyGQPugz8 (Village)
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIqYDWGhQHE (Frog Monster)

They are uploading more parts, keep an eye on their channel.

Video (Frog/Gypceros), Report, GIFs: http://trinfo.jp/blog-entry-885.html

[gif]

From GF:

was about to post it :) thanks :)

sorry for the bad quality, but the original stream is not very good, and I had to use fraps to capture it ....

Fight vs Gypceros curently uploading :)

Chunky

IABjuHb.gif

They always seem to put the most effort (at least for looks) into HH's. They're my main, so I can't complain!

When will you be mine, MonHun4? ( ._.)

edit: Also, I'm really digging these new areas. They all seem to have the kind of break from convention that made Mountain Stream the best 3rd gen zone.

They always seem to put the most effort (at least for looks) into HH's. They're my main, so I can't complain!

When will you be mine, MonHun4? ( ._.)
The absolute truth.

6ymaRlD.jpg

Too bad I don't know how to use HH. :(

was about to post it :) thanks :)

sorry for the bad quality, but the original stream is not very good, and I had to use fraps to capture it ....

Fight vs Gypceros curently uploading :)
Oh it's you! Thanks for recording.

Chunky

The absolute truth.

6ymaRlD.jpg

Oh it's you! Thanks for recording.

Just go with the flow of the notes, baby.

Or I don't know, read a faq or something. I've not been able to help out anyone but myself with HH yet, so come on 4! Don't take a year to come out ( ;n;)

L Thammy

X, A, and X+A play different notes. They have different attacks if you're pressing forward.
R is recital. The follow-up recital can be left, right, or back (default).

Look for some good songs in the equipment menu and rock out constantly.
Self-improvement (X -> X) always goes first since it increases your movement speed when unsheathed, every horn has it.
That's how you play.

Anyway, isn't that Rathalos hunter figure the old Revoltech? New generation should get a new figure. :|

fates

I would absalutely love a next gen, hd monhun. This ps2 era rehash dribble has to end. The franchise deserves sooooooooo much more than the treatment its getting. Im beginning to think the devs really are stuck in the past.

Series got a major overhaul during the 3rd gen transition, old monsters were remodeled and had more lifelike movements. New weapons were introduced. Hitboxes were fixed. Several other tweaks were made to refine the gameplay (the ? above harvest points) It's getting another in Gen 4.

Whatever graphical issues the series have do not detract from the gameplay, what most MH players are there for. I realize it's an unpopular opinion for some, but this is not a series that would see huge benefit from becoming AAA HD game in appearance. The gameplay will still alienate those who couldn't get into the games before.

Uplate! :)

Amazon JP said:

Stage Presentation said:
Tsuimoto and Fujioka showed off the new village, Barubare, where many caravans from around the world gather. In the above images, a smaller screen on the right shows what’s on the lower screen of the 3DS. According to Dengeki, it displayed of a map showing various other bases (villages) that are available in Monster Hunter 4. They also mentioned that there was more to the bottom screen, but Tsujimoto mentioned it was a secret for the time being.

The two started their play with online mode via Wi-Fi, through the “Play With Everyone” menu. As the host of a room, you have options such as: Recruit Hunter, Target, description and password.

The selected map was the new Underground Cave, where Fujioka was quick to show off the Charge Axe. The Charge Axe has two modes, Sword and Axe. Compared to the traditional Sword and Shield, it is said that the Charge Axe’s Sword Mode is slower in attack and movement.

Continuously attacking in Sword Mode will accumulate energy, which can be seen as the bottles on the top left part of the screen. Once your weapon begins to glows yellow, you can stock the energy in a bottle with a charge. The energy stock can then be used once you switch to Axe Mode, which uses them for powerful attacks. To put it in short, the flow of Charge Axe attacks will be: Attack with sword, charge up energy stocks, unleash with heavy Axe Mode attacks.

Interview said:
Dengeki: What are your impressions on finally having announced a release date?

Tsujimoto: The first time, we had already changed the release date to sometime this Summer. We really couldn’t announce it for a while, but it ended up being towards the end of the Summer. For the amount of time we’ve made you wait, I believe that we were able to work more on the game and I am now confident in its contents.

Fujioka: It’s the feeling of finally being able to make an announcement. We’re working hard so we can release it in a much better shape and much better quality.

Dengeki: The two new weapons are something unique with action features that we haven’t had until now. After seeing today’s demo, I thought the Charge Axe’s movements are really cool and I believe that it will be popular.

Fujioka: We definitely wanted to include something with new play style that didn’t exist in previous weapons. This time, we’ve included weapons that correspond with the different elevation of the stages, and also simple, easy-to-use weapons. I believe that they’re weapons that you’ll have to try for yourself to understand.

Dengeki: At the end of the trailer, there was a familiar-looking monster, that looked kind of like an Elder Dragon we got a glimpse of…

Tsujimoto: (laughs) There was. It was kind of flying and sort of a red monster.

Fujioka: We’d like you all to feel the bulk of the game, this time around. We want it to be bursting with popular monsters. There are still plenty more monsters, so please look forward to it.

Lastly, would you care to share a message for our readers?

Tsujimoto: We were finally able to announce a release date, but we ask for you to please wait just a little longer. We’ll be sharing plenty more information from this point on until the release date, and we’d also like to touch up on different monsters in a timely manner, so please look forward to that, as well. The volume and content are going to be great, and I believe we can present something that will live up to your expectations!

Fujoka: There’s still plenty more content compared to past Monster Hunter titles. Not only the number of monsters, but it’s also packed with new communication features and more, that will allow you to enjoy even the game longer. There’s much more new content we’ve yet to reveal that we’ll be showing off by the bulk, so please look forward to it.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/03/monster-hunter-4-has-much-more-new-content-says-director/

nnn ready

ipEOmuqO4NAa.gif

Niconico Demo said:
A0qi3oL.jpg

The bottom screen now indicates various icons for the different parts of town, and an arrow that shows wherever you’re walking.

BLAvbuv.jpg

Here’s a look at the map screen, which can be accessed by pressing the green “World Map” icon on the bottom-right of the screen. It shows different villages such as Naguri Village and Barubare. Once you click a destination, you’ll be able to pick between a shortcut of going to the town or directly to your house.

AigqbrS.jpg

By clicking the top-middle button on the World Map screen, called “Play solo / Play with everyone” you’ll have this screen that allows you to pick between three choices. The first is an offline solo play, the second option is local wireless play, and the third is online play.

Tsujimoto went with the online play option, which gave him three more options: Create Room, Search For Room and Friend List. As previously reported, you’ll be able to customize your rooms in terms of who can join and other options. Once others are in the room, you’ll be able to see their names, HR rank and the weapon they’re using.

It was also pointed out by Tsujimoto that you can be in different villages as the other Hunters in your room and still be connected.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/04/monster-hunter-4-developers-demo-the-impressive-new-charge-axe/

Metaroo

This and Animal Crossing are the reasons for me to own a 3DS. Also, does anyone know anything about that shark monster's face turning into ice? It looks like some kind of super mode for monsters. I hope they implement something like that for some older monsters as well. It would make fighting the rathians and such much more enjoyable.

Pikma

Banned
Isn't this, or at least a step away from, port-begging?

Top Bottom