• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Zornica

Banned
anyone motivated?
can't play too long because I've to go to bed early this weekend but I'd still like to hunt something

Zalman

I want to get into this series but I'd like to know which game is the best to start off with - this or MH3U? I keep hearing the games have a big learning curve, does this game make it easier for beginners?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I want to get into this series but I'd like to know which game is the best to start off with - this or MH3U? I keep hearing the games have a big learning curve, does this game make it easier for beginners?

Not really, what makes the game easier truthfully is just sticking with it and learning the mechanics. But yeah MH3U might as well start off where all of the most current weapons are haha

Zornica

Banned
If you got a jp. 3ds and can read japanese, mh4 would be the better entry point. the gameplay has been refined and slightly adjusted. new tutorials explaining everything and a tighter overarching story is helping too.
3gu isn't that bad either, it's pretty easy and most of the hitboxes are fixed. but there are still some gameplay quirks.
If I had to decide I'd go with Mh4.

Anura

If you got a jp. 3ds and can read japanese, mh4 would be the better entry point. the gameplay has been refined and slightly adjusted. new tutorials explaining everything and a tighter overarching story is helping too.
3gu isn't that bad either, it's pretty easy and most of the hitboxes are fixed. but there are still some gameplay quirks.
If I had to decide I'd go with Mh4.
Don't forget it's a lot faster to get started. This game picks up the pace much faster than 3U did.

Just reiterating that this game can ONLY be played on a JPN 3DS

Parakeetman

Don't forget it's a lot faster to get started. This game picks up the pace much faster than 3U did.

Just reiterating that this game can ONLY be played on a JPN 3DS

Didnt someone who lives in Taiwan mention that it works on a Taiwanese 3DS?

Anura

Didnt someone who lives in Taiwan mention that it works on a Taiwanese 3DS?

Does it? Well regardless I think for most people that's more semantics and still won't work on their 3DS. I'm not sure if Zalman is one of those people but if he is I just wanted to drive home that point before he might spend some money.

Parakeetman

Parakeetman

So are you at work now? You want to hunt for a bit if you're free?

Im actually helping a friend with one quest before I sign off for the night or go back to finishing the Akibas Trip 2 unofficial OT. Since its currently 0600 here and have not slept yet lol

Anura

Im actually helping a friend with one quest before I sign off for the night or go back to finishing the Akibas Trip 2 unofficial OT. Since its currently 0600 here and have not slept yet lol

Ah ok, that is fair enough! It's mid-day here so I am just looking for things to do

Deeku

Isn't the "taiwan 3ds" just a japanese 3ds too? (like the hong kong model?)
I never even heard about chinese (as in cantonese and "taiwanese") localisations...
I don't know specifically about taiwan, but the 3ds's sold in HK are just imported japanese units. There is a china specific region though, but MH4 is probably j-region only atm.

I've taken a tiny break from my MH4 binge, 30 somethin hours in 2 weeks which is a lot for me lol. Up to the 3rd village now. I've gotten into the habit of farming each new monster I encounter until I get it's full set of armour or avaiable weapon, don't know if that's a good way to play or not lol

Zalman

Thanks for the help! The reason I'm asking is that I think/hope this game will get localized some time next year so it'd be helpful to know which game is the better entry point.

putermcgee

Thanks for the help! The reason I'm asking is that I think/hope this game will get localized some time next year so it'd be helpful to know which game is the better entry point.
MH4 is my first MH game, and from what I've heard about what's new in this game, I wonder if I could even go back and play older titles. Things like the jumping and riding, the lock-on camera, and real online multiplayer are things I'd definitely miss on older titles.

Actually, I did go back and start playing Freedom Unite on the PSP, and while it's nice to be able to read the stuff quicker since it's in English, it's a big difference in basic gameplay. I can't say how different 3U is from 4, but it feels like a good entry point to the series.

If you're worried about the Japanese, I'd be careful. There are many guides available online that can get you pretty deep into the game with just item translations, but you'll definitely want a resource -- like a chat room or a friend who knows the ins and outs of MH -- if you plan to really understand how stuff works. Even the most basic things, like how the elemental stats of your armor don't mean anything unless they're +/-10/15/20 in total, are not explained in the game. If I didn't have someone to play with at home, and friends at work to explain things, I think I definitely would have given up or lost interest by now.

EDIT: I should mention also that I've heard even 3U doesn't explain the details i mentioned above, so it's not because 4 is Japanese-only.

Parakeetman

MH4 is my first MH game, and from what I've heard about what's new in this game, I wonder if I could even go back and play older titles. Things like the jumping and riding, the lock-on camera, and real online multiplayer are things I'd definitely miss on older titles.

Actually, I did go back and start playing Freedom Unite on the PSP, and while it's nice to be able to read the stuff quicker since it's in English, it's a big difference in basic gameplay. I can't say how different 3U is from 4, but it feels like a good entry point to the series.

If you're worried about the Japanese, I'd be careful. There are many guides available online that can get you pretty deep into the game with just item translations, but you'll definitely want a resource -- like a chat room or a friend who knows the ins and outs of MH -- if you plan to really understand how stuff works. Even the most basic things, like how the elemental stats of your armor don't mean anything unless they're +/-10/15/20 in total, are not explained in the game. If I didn't have someone to play with at home, and friends at work to explain things, I think I definitely would have given up or lost interest by now.

EDIT: I should mention also that I've heard even 3U doesn't explain the details i mentioned above, so it's not because 4 is Japanese-only.

Pretty much all MH games for the most part dont explain much asides from what "poorly" counts as the bare minimum.

Everything else is all trial and error / learn from the school of hard knocks.

Funny thing is too all the new overly "talkative" MH4 pissed folks off apparently with the constant text that started on a lot of the newbie missions.

At least for the most part, besides the weapons, armor and gems, the item creation formulas have stayed pretty much the same which is the most important thing to know.

After that its about learning how to play the game just by keeping at it and not giving up after getting roflstomped the first few times.

chadi

Patch for version 1.1 is up on the eShop. It's supposed to deal with those hacked guild quests although I'm not sure how exactly it works... Lol.

i70F0aJ.jpg

Parakeetman

Patch for version 1.1 is up on the eShop. It's supposed to deal with those hacked guild quests although I'm not sure how exactly it works... Lol.

i70F0aJ.jpg

Thank god.

I wonder if it automatically deletes anything that falls out of standard params?

Zornica

Banned
We should try to get the party going again soon...

btw: is there a good source for screen shots in native resolution somewhere?

MH3G/MH3U explains pretty much everything, it's just that players don't bother reading and then complain. The game has 2, yes, two, manuals for players.

- Very detailed digital manual on Wii U & 3DS available at any time while the game is running when pressing HOME button
- In-game manual with categories in the menu
- NPC give a LOT of useful information
- Mandatory tutorials at the beginning of the game

Lio

Banned
Before I download this from e-shop I have some questions about the DLC. Can I play the quests for Mario & Luigi, Link and Chopper gears? Can I add some of you for online play? Played MH3U and Freedom Unite until now. Thx!

putermcgee

Before I download this from e-shop I have some questions about the DLC. Can I play the quests for Mario & Luigi, Link and Chopper gears? Can I add some of you for online play? Played MH3U and Freedom Unite until now. Thx!
You can get many DLC quests like normal, but the Mario & Luigi quest can only be downloaded at a 7-11 wifi spot as far as I know. And that's not going to include 7-11s in the US.

You can, however, play the quests if you play online and someone chooses it.

just defeated the jhen moran wanna be, and made a charge axe (it's awesome!)

now i'm gonna rank solo up to 5!

I'm iusing the goa magara armor set, it is awesome

putermcgee

I convinced my wife and brother-in-law to play the double Deviljoh no-armor quest you get at HR90, and we got it on our second try. That was one of the more intense hunts I've had in the game because every death and near-death didn't feel cheap like they do with some other crazy monsters like Rajang.

Anyway, if you do the quest, it unlocks
a new charge axe. Not sure about any other weapons, though.

Parakeetman

I convinced my wife and brother-in-law to play the double Deviljoh no-armor quest you get at HR90, and we got it on our second try. That was one of the more intense hunts I've had in the game because every death and near-death didn't feel cheap like they do with some other crazy monsters like Rajang.

Anyway, if you do the quest, it unlocks
a new charge axe. Not sure about any other weapons, though.

Did someone say Rajang?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ar0fCX088

Parakeetman

I have been ranking up a (non-golden) Rajang quest a bit today. We need to get MH4Gaf back together and do it when it gets to lv 100. its only 75 right now...

Im around rank 50. Have not played in a while. D: Last thing that happened was tried to fight rajang with a friend and that was insta NOPE.

Parakeetman

Never too late to hop back on the bicycle! The laser spewing, fist pounding, eternally angry bike.

Too many other titles out and family obligations for the holidays unfortunately. D:

The last thing was doing was working on my GS collection lol. Oh yeah and going insane trying to collect the rusted pieces and 大地の結晶

Too many other titles out and family obligations for the holidays unfortunately. D:

The last thing was doing was working on my GS collection lol. Oh yeah and going insane trying to collect the rusted pieces and 大地の結晶

earth cristals?

i have like 200 :/

i always mine everywhere i go.

Now bugs are another thing :(

Parakeetman

earth cristals?

i have like 200 :/

i always mine everywhere i go.

Now bugs are another thing :(

I used up a ton for the rusted weapons. Before that I sold 2 stacks of 99 like a dumbshit since was rushing to purchase some other weapons / armor. Totally regret that. Since it takes a while to collect as its not as plentiful as other titles from a single run.

Parakeetman

Why don't you guys just make the kush/teo stuff? The 99 earth crystal stuff isn't that good unless it's the bowgun

Because some of us actually prefer to make whatever we want rather than what other people think is good?

Anura

Because some of us actually prefer to make whatever we want rather than what other people think is good?
but it just seems to me like you're beating yourself up with these earth crystals... I have no issues making random things but I could never sit through all that earth crystal farming myself

Well maybe in 3U I could lol

I used up a ton for the rusted weapons. Before that I sold 2 stacks of 99 like a dumbshit since was rushing to purchase some other weapons / armor. Totally regret that. Since it takes a while to collect as its not as plentiful as other titles from a single run.

yeah, that happened to me on mh3u, now i know better:
kill huge monster (moran, ceadeus in 3)
???
?????!!!!
PROFIT!

Top Bottom