• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Zornica

Banned
I guess the "farm" should be enough for your farming needs

catboard:
1. set your cat's status
出撃 - you take your cat with you
休憩 - rest
サブ出撃 - sub character-cat accompanies you
特訓 - special training - I have no idea what it does..

2. option: change your party. 1st screen are your regulars. Put your preferred cats here so you can switch between them faster (or train them)

3. Cat Gear
Submenu: 1: equip, 2. equip set 3. register set, 4. move set 5 delete set 6 move gear (in your box) 7. sell

4. change your cats appearance.

5. change the comments your cat can make.

6+7 not sure about that one. can't read the kanji and it's to small to trace, but it's probably something like delete, so stay away.

L Thammy

Getting myself hyped for MH4U, becoming very curious again.

How useful are the new greatsword changes>
The staff seems pretty ridiculous. Is there any disadvantage to it at all?

Anura

Getting myself hyped for MH4U, becoming very curious again.

How useful are the new greatsword changes>
The staff seems pretty ridiculous. Is there any disadvantage to it at all?
GS changes are great. The new horizontal slash is as strong as the LV3 charge (or so I have been told) but is super unsafe so it's a risk reward thing. It can be done after the jump attack or the overhead charge (not the unsheath version).

And no the insect staff is broke but I expect it to be nerfed by MH4U

Anura

Ah, okay. Think I got some new cats from killing the Zaboazagiru. Fun fight but I wish it wasn't built on Agnaktor's model and animations lol. @_@
It's not though but it does have very similar moves when it comes to their general theme. Like each move is different from Agnaktors version but they do almost the same thing

Shurayuki

I guess the "farm" should be enough for your farming needs

catboard:
1. set your cat's status
出撃 - you take your cat with you
休憩 - rest
サブ出撃 - sub character-cat accompanies you
特訓 - special training - I have no idea what it does..

2. option: change your party. 1st screen are your regulars. Put your preferred cats here so you can switch between them faster (or train them)

3. Cat Gear
Submenu: 1: equip, 2. equip set 3. register set, 4. move set 5 delete set 6 move gear (in your box) 7. sell

4. change your cats appearance.

5. change the comments your cat can make.

6+7 not sure about that one. can't read the kanji and it's to small to trace, but it's probably something like delete, so stay away.

Why didn't I make a more helpful post about cat's back then x.x
I think special training levels up your cat even if you don't take it with you on quests, but lowers tension (if tension is 0 you can't let them train, have to rest)

as an addendum my post about the skills for your leader cat

So cat skills for your Main メイン cat:
*The level (5) cat skills only apply to the main cat.
*You gain these skills by putting (x) amount of cats with the trend in your team. (Regulars from the second option)

Fighter (ファイト): (2) attack-up flute (3) cat gets pierce boomerang (4) stronger attack-up flute (5) 会心/critical up
Guard (ガード ): (2) defense-up flute (3) nothing (4) stronger defense-up flute (5) gain ability to guard against attacks you usually can't (there was an armor skill like that?!, prolly same)
Assist (アシスト ): (2) cat rarely sets a shock trap (3) cat indicates location and status of large monsters (like Autotracking armor skill) (4) cat lays trap more often, maximum number of uses increases (5) short rest/evacuation time (when cat dies)
Restoration (回復): (2) heal spell (3) poison and odor heal spell (4) bigger heal spell (5) drops better item when evacuating
Bomber (ボマー): (2) puts a bomb on a trap set by the partner airu (3) makes cats attack with only bombs (4) uses large bombs when angry (5) uses G-rank bombs when angry
Bundori (item snatching) ぶんどり: (2) cat gets big boomerang and boomerang power up (3) cat attacks only with boomerang (4) cat gets targeted less by enemies (5) item snatching gets better
Treasure Hunting (宝探し): (2) cat harvests faster (3) cat stops attacking and only harvests (4) cat finds harvesting spots more easily (5) 'special' harvesting stronger, can collect consecutively

http://www49.atwiki.jp/3dsmh4/pages/112.html

++more

Combination Technique 合体技

*If you set out with two cats, they can do a combination technique, which is decided by the SubCat サブオトモ only (合体技 field)

ネコ式突撃隊
Cat assault Party - Cats will hop into a rocket ant fire themselves onto a monster. If they hit they do an attack similar to a hunters mounting attack

ネコ式火竜車
Cat's Firedrake Tank - Cat's will hop into a tank and shell monsters until ammunition is used up or the tank is destroyed (influenced by cats att and def stat)

ネコ式応援楽団
Ouendan Cats - Cats will use a giant flute to cheer the hunter on (heals hunter and cats - higher level = higher heal)

Ken

Thank you for this! :eek:

Yeah it's actually kinda weird

Gotta re-use those Agnaktor assets somewhere.

Just captured my first Garara.

Still pretty confused about how the insect marking thing works for the staff; the red/yellow/white spots vary by monster right? And there's no real rules on where things are or is red always head, yellow the appendanges (?), and white somewhere? Also where do I go to to upgrade my insect?

Shurayuki

Still pretty confused about how the insect marking thing works for the staff; the red/yellow/white spots vary by monster right? And there's no real rules on where things are or is red always head, yellow the appendanges (?), and white somewhere? Also where do I go to to upgrade my insect?

Yeah they're usually in the same spots. Hah been a long time, reading a wiki.

White: Arms, Legs etc (monster's movement parts) - lasts 90s
Red: Head, Claws (monster's attacking parts) - lasts 60s
Orange: Torso - lasts 45s
Green: everything not mentioned above; tail etc - immediate

red+orange+white - 60s

strengthening an effect with the white effect doesn't change the timer
(eg. white+orange max timer = 45s ; orange+white =remaining time of orange)

Upgrade is at the smithy guy (shield with wings icon on the map) 加工屋. 3rd option 強化

Anura

Yeah they're usually in the same spots. Hah been a long time, reading a wiki.

White: Arms, Legs etc (monster's movement parts) - lasts 90s
Red: Head, Claws (monster's attacking parts) - lasts 60s
Orange: Torso - lasts 45s
Green: everything not mentioned above; tail etc - immediate

red+orange+white - 60s

strengthening an effect with the white effect doesn't change the timer
(eg. white+orange max timer = 45s ; orange+white =remaining time of orange)
Even this is a rule of thumb though. For example Yian Guraga's tail still gives red. That said assuming the aforementiond rule of thumb is true when entering a fight is still usually the way to go

Ken

Do most people just weave the insect launcher into their combos or actually try to land marks from afar?

Anura

Do most people just weave the insect launcher into their combos or actually try to land marks from afar?
Both but it's mostly better to try and get it from afar when you can't normally reach the monster. Also do you want to play? I want someone to hunt with regardless of their rank

Ken

Both but it's mostly better to try and get it from afar when you can't normally reach the monster. Also do you want to play? I want someone to hunt with regardless of their rank

Busy at the moment doing some other stuff. D:

I've also never gone online in MH4 or on my JP 3DS yet. Might set it up next free time I get.

Shurayuki

Power up your Insect into a speed insect (i'll just assume it's still considered the best). Should be pretty easy/fast to get the colors then.

For most monsters I didn't bother to keep up "the rainbow", usually just red for a little free attack boost.
It's really not that important except if you can use the Tremor/Wind Negation (small) for the monster and don't have it on your gear.

Anura

Power up your Insect into a speed insect (i'll just assume it's still considered the best). Should be pretty easy/fast to get the colors then.

For most monsters I didn't bother to keep up "the rainbow", usually just red for a little free attack boost.
It's really not that important except if you can use the Tremor/Wind Negation (small) for the monster and don't have it on your gear.

Yeah and if you get all three it will wear off no matter what but with just red and white you can keep it up if you're good enough

Shurayuki

Yeah and if you get all three it will wear off no matter what but with just red and white you can keep it up if you're good enough

Yeah that too. It's just annoying and will probably cost you more time to gather up the colors again every 60s than the use you get out of it.

Insect Staff imo is philosophically similar to the dual swords, attack attack attack.
If you're too far away to attack....JUMP ATTACK ^_^

Cut my hunting time pretty much in half once I stopped trying to play "smart" hehe.

Also why am I awake at 5AM again, zZz time.

Anura

Yeah that too. It's just annoying and will probably cost you more time to gather up the colors again every 60s than the use you get out of it.

Insect Staff imo is philosophically similar to the dual swords, attack attack attack.
If you're too far away to attack....JUMP ATTACK ^_^

Cut my hunting time pretty much in half once I stopped trying to play "smart" hehe.

Also why am I awake at 5AM again, zZz time.
Yeah and it was already getting good time... Seriously I get the best times with the staff

Shurayuki

Yeah and it was already getting good time... Seriously I get the best times with the staff

Yes I was shocked, usually the Longsword is the goto weapon for most people when it's about solo play because it gets good times, but when I tried one later in the game it felt sluggish, both gameplay wise and time-wise. The staff is pretty ridiculous even though stat wise it doesn't look impressive. So many attacks in a short time (and useful effects early, poison effect).

Too bad Blast doesn't feel as destructive as in 3G, staff+blast would have been armageddon.

Shurayuki

I don't like the staff :7

There's a cure for every...condition like that ;P
I guess Oichi had a nice idea comparing weapons to StreetFighter characters. Everybody has a different style, and the one that fits you best is not always what you think you like best.
I always play the thief/agile character in RPGs, I like nimble glass cannons, others like tanks or slow nukers or healers, nothing wrong with that. All useful and necessary.
The staff is like that new class in an MMO that's not yet very balanced and everybody hops on it. Just so happens that it's also pretty much the most agile, high dps, many hits (status effect), insane utility in multiplayer, with high tactical skill ceiling weapon. The good thing about MH is that there's no wrong choice and the best team is a varied team.
(Not even remotely enough people play gunners, in my experience hunts with gunners almost always are the smoothest and most fun)

For Tri and 3G I'd usually recommend Longsword for soloplay (also Lance for water combat) as it's just the fastest (and you can get cutting AND breaking attribute in one, monster part score), for 4 it's the staff. Let's see what 4G brings about.

and the tigrex sub can be pretty nasty in single player... didn't expect that

Thing's break explode.

(Rare species that is, did you mean that, sub is an ass too though)

Yagami_Sama

I don't like the staff :7

and the tigrex sub can be pretty nasty in single player... didn't expect that

I had a bad time against him.

When I beat him for the first time, I had fainted twice, used all my items .

I was not expecting to receive too much damage from. And some times they do a nasty combo.

Zornica

Banned
I wasn't talking about the red one... I meant the black one.
I actually haven't progressed very far in singleplayer, so I have to catch up...

anyone wanna play later? ~2 hours from now?

also do you think capcom will release some kind of cheaper upgrade to 4G? like a patch or something..

Shurayuki

I actually haven't progressed very far in singleplayer, so I have to catch up...

also do you think capcom will release some kind of cheaper upgrade to 4G? like a patch or something..

Oh well^^

Some are hoping Capcom will do something like Fantasy Life Link (Retail release for upgraded version and ~half price "DLC" upgrade), that would certainly be cool and there's precedent for it..

Anura

I will play in about 10 minutes if you want

Shurayuki

any idea what I have to do before I can trade for this item:
http://wiki.mh4g.org/ida/71373.html
?
I guess I'd have to finish some quest first, but it doesn't tell me which one...
is there a better wiki? or something...

http://www49.atwiki.jp/3dsmh4/pages/270.html#id_9433cc35
http://wiki.mh4g.org/data/1430.html

集会所★7「高難度:豪勇の証明」

ダレン・モーラン

Shurayuki

thanks
I can't remember if we had some kind of tutorial for guild quests...
or to make it short: how can I get a kirin quest?

Mmh there was some blog post I read about that.

Easiest way to farm guild quests is to level up the expedition to max stars and then keep doing the quest where you have to deliver a great potion (you get it back as renumeration) until a rare monster shows up.

I think you can save then and fight it. If you don't get what you wanted/anything good you can reload and fight again, smth. like that.

Of course you can also have other hunters give them to you too. I think I have kirin I could give it to you some time.

http://www49.atwiki.jp/3dsmh4/pages/647.html
Actually having a rare expedition might not even be necessary
Defeating these in an expedition gives a chance to get low level Kirin ゲネル・セルタス フルフル グラビモス リオレウス イャンガルルガ(レア) ゴア・マガラ(レア)
Defeating these in an expedition gives a chance to get high level Kirin イャンクック ゲリョス亜種 テツカブラネルスキュラ(レア) イャンクック亜種(レア) フルフル(乱入)

Anura

Mmh there was some blog post I read about that.

Easiest way to farm guild quests is to level up the expedition to max stars and then keep doing the quest where you have to deliver a great potion (you get it back as renumeration) until a rare monster shows up.

I think you can save then and fight it. If you don't get what you wanted/anything good you can reload and fight again, smth. like that.

Of course you can also have other hunters give them to you too. I think I have kirin I could give it to you some time.

http://www49.atwiki.jp/3dsmh4/pages/647.html
Defeating these in an expedition gives a chance to get Kirin イャンクック ゲリョス亜種 テツカブラネルスキュラ(レア) イャンクック亜種(レア) フルフル(乱入)

We need an ice Kirin though can those same monsters give one?

Shurayuki

We need an ice Kirin though can those same monsters give one?

Subspecies is

グラビモス亜種 リオレウス亜種
イャンガルルガ(レア)
リオレウス(乱入)

np yw

ah btw. fish+veggie and veggie+sake (煮込む style only) gives the ネコの探索術food skill for double exploration points = maxes out stars in 3hunts instead of 5

Anura

Subspecies is

グラビモス亜種 リオレウス亜種
イャンガルルガ(レア)
リオレウス(乱入)
Alright thank you!

Ken

izqCN84ZezydR.jpg

What is the 0/15 thing I'm missing?

Zornica

Banned
Subspecies is

グラビモス亜種 リオレウス亜種
イャンガルルガ(レア)
リオレウス(乱入)

np yw

ah btw. fish+veggie and veggie+sake (煮込む style only) gives the ネコの探索術food skill for double exploration points = maxes out stars in 3hunts instead of 5

thx, I'll try that later
just to be sure: I have to max my stars, and whatever forrest "quest" I take next will determent what guildquest I can get? ok

What is the 0/15 thing I'm missing?

I never used staffs so I am not sure, but it does seem strange.
you are missing "points". Looks more like stats than mats. Power, stamina, speed... and your missing "points"

Ken

thx, I'll try that later
just to be sure: I have to max my stars, and whatever forrest "quest" I take next will determent what guildquest I can get? ok

I never used staffs so I am not sure, but it does seem strange.
you are missing "points". Looks more like stats than mats. Power, stamina, speed... and your missing "points"

Yeah I'm prettty sure the 60/60 stats are base stats like you mentioned since you can buy boosts for them in the previous menu. Buuuut I couldn't find an item that boosts that missing stat? Maybe I have to feed it somehting.

Zornica

Banned
Yeah I'm prettty sure the 60/60 stats are base stats like you mentioned since you can buy boosts for them in the previous menu. Buuuut I couldn't find an item that boosts that missing stat? Maybe I have to feed it somehting.

I just went to the blacksmith and checked it myself. seems like you need to collect herbs to upgrade your bug. you can find them anywhere in the forrest. look for "blue" plants.
from what I can tell, you could put in whatever you want, but you should be carefull because whatever you use determines your staffs status.

a few kanji:
火 fire
水 water
氷 ice (watch out for the smal dot)
電 thunder
龍 dragon

Ken

The Unknown Great Forest specifically? I'll go check it out later. Haven't been there in awhile.

Also after I beat the Garara, my felynes disappeared. How do I get them back? D:

Zornica

Banned
The Unknown Great Forest specifically? I'll go check it out later. Haven't been there in awhile.

Also after I beat the Garara, my felynes disappeared. How do I get them back? D:

yeah, that forest. the plants you're looking for look like mushrooms, but not quite...
it's kinda hard to describe. there are 2 kinds, red and blue. blue gives you more rare and therefore better stuff.

woot? what just happend? I made a few runs through the forest, got up to 3 stars and than got a rajang guild quest....
is there any way to check how many exploration points remain until I get the next quest?

Shurayuki

To level up an insect staff you first have to get a certain number of points on the insect, which you get by using bug food 虫餌 on it to change its stats.

It's true that they're most easily found in the forest, but you can also get them from the dragon elder 竜人問屋 if you have him yet (品物を見る->交換して送る). He cycles goods but at the very bottom is always bug food, if you want to check how it looks (also finally a use for those points from the forest).

The speed insect is pretty much the best so it's a good idea to focus solely on getting that stat up (you can get elemental attack up too if you want). In the beginning you're swamped with power food, so it's best to just wait a bit.

woot? what just happend? I made a few runs through the forest, got up to 3 stars and than got a rajang guild quest....
is there any way to check how many exploration points remain until I get the next quest?

I don't think it depends on how many points you have.
Basically if you get points (either from a big monster kill or a shiny drop/dragon tear) in an expedition you have a chance to get a guild quest.

To increase the expedition level (I called it stars, well you know the monster heads) you can just run through, the expedition will level up even if you run straight to the last screen and go home from the carriage without doing anything.

You don't have to max the expedition level but it guarantees a rare monster if you're looking for that (I guess I was - also good way to get treasure areas and otomo/piggys). Probably best to just use the 1 star KongariMeat or GreatPotion quests to cycle through monsters in the forest until you get what you want to hunt and then use the save/reload technique otherwise.

Oh now I see that there also seem to be prerequisites to get monsters as guildquests, to get kirin sub you have to have beaten 集会所★7「高難度:千古不易を謳う王」 . Have to be HR100+.

Ken

When do you get the Dragon Elder? I just beat Gore Magala 5* quest in the village.

Also, how do I unlock the rest of the 5* quests? At the moment all I have is the Gore urgent.

Shurayuki

When do you get the Dragon Elder? I just beat Gore Magala 5* quest in the village.

Also, how do I unlock the rest of the 5* quests? At the moment all I have is the Gore urgent.

I guess he is always there anyways? This guy
13401_1.jpg

Uhh not sure, after you beat 黒く蝕み地を染めん you should get gravimos? 熱地に現る、グラビモス!

Ken

Uhh not sure, after you beat 黒く蝕み地を染めん you should get gravimos? 熱地に現る、グラビモス!

Hm, I don't see that quest. :(

Top Bottom