• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Review Thread

squall23

So I have a question about climbing and jumping tricks.

I've seen in videos where a player would climb up a ledge, once they get to the top and they lift themselves up, they immediately do a jump attack.

How do I do that?

Tenbatsu

So I have a question about climbing and jumping tricks.

I've seen in videos where a player would climb up a ledge, once they get to the top and they lift themselves up, they immediately do a jump attack.

How do I do that?
Can you show me the video?

Blunoise

I can't decide between switch axe(which I'm an expert in) or the charge blade( which looks fun but OP)help fellow hunters!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wait, this game has improved textures on the New 3DS? Is this confirmed? Is that advertised anywhere?

tengiants

I have gaming ADD and don't normally put hundreds of hours into games, but I did end up putting over 300 hours into MH3U, unexpectedly even. It's the most hours I've clocked into a single title. That being said, I can't wait for this!

Meesh

I've been playing the import for a hella long time and it's by far the deepest, most rewarding MH to date. It's so full of content, I could spend 1000 hrs easy, and for the record I've got 750 in MH3U so it's not a stretch. The animations, right down to wafting capes, the Felyne upgrades, vast amount of armor and weapons not to mention dlc, resurrection of water based monsters of old in the form of their armours ect...then there's the gameplay, which feels waaaay more complex or 3 dimensional than other MHs thanks to being able to ride monsters as well as take advantage to the terrain to mount a better attack. I'm surprised and let down there aren't any 10s in the reviews :( Nintendo, I'd double dip for a WiiU version as well.

K.Sabot

With the impending release of MH4U, will there be any sort of organized hub for GAF for communication during hunts? Like a mumble server or skype group? Hate to ask it here, but no OT.

Nasser

Hey guys help me please. Is it worth to get the collector's for $60 or get the standard edition with Felyne Pin for $28 (Preordered when price got low for a while, price guaranteed). I want to get the collector's but this month and the next are really busy and we'll probably spend A LOT of money :(

but I really want the collector's though... :\ I need to make a decision by tonight and cancel one of my preorderes

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hey guys help me please. Is it worth to get the collector's for $60 or get the standard edition with Felyne Pin for $28 (Preordered when price got low for a while, price guaranteed). I want to get the collector's but this month and the next is really busy and we'll probably spend A LOT of money :(

but I really want the collector's though... :\ I need to make a decision by tonight and cancel one of my preorderes
Save the money; it's not thaaaat impressive.

Told my job that I'm going to be late on Friday because before work I need to go pick up a New 3DS XL and Monster Hunter, boss seemed a little confused about what a "Monster Hunter" is but was okay with my excuse.

deim0s

As i understood, in the options menu you can set that, and it also work with CPP

Great then.

Hey guys help me please. Is it worth to get the collector's for $60 or get the standard edition with Felyne Pin for $28 (Preordered when price got low for a while, price guaranteed). I want to get the collector's but this month and the next are really busy and we'll probably spend A LOT of money :(

I cancelled my pre-order and going with a regular version.

Thought it'll come in a nice sturdy box but it's just a plain card box. The lanyard and the cleaning cloth, there are similar items out there like from Hori. The GorMag figure is a variant of the Figure Builder series, which I can buy in sets... So not really for me.

You seem to have more important things to take care of in the ff. days.

Save the 32 bucks for the CE and get Majoras Mask 3D instead !

....or spend it on
more
important things :p

Neiteio

ProJared Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKmPBeBlxV8

He gave it a 9/10 and says it's his favorite MH.
Fantastic review. I'm tempted to try this series with this game. I'm curious what's so complex about the mechanics, though. Could someone break down for me how it controls, how the mechanics work, the little nuances, etc? I mean, just looking at it, it looks like a Zelda game in terms of control (lock on, slashing, rolling, etc).

Fantastic review. I'm tempted to try this series with this game. I'm curious what's so complex about the mechanics, though. Could someone break down for me how it controls, how the mechanics work, the little nuances, etc? I mean, just looking at it, it looks like a Zelda game in terms of control (lock on, slashing, rolling, etc).

here's the flowchart for combo paths with the charge blade
MeGcSbg.jpg

random25

MH mechanics is like real-life hunting. You just don't swing your sword aimlessly or spam the attack button like crazy, or monsters will punish you for it. You need to be calculative by studying enemy patterns to know when to attack or defend. One of the reasons why people think it is so complex is because unlike other action games, you can't cancel attacks, can be easily punished for making mistakes and controls may feel heavy. But that's what makes MH unique. It rewards patience, strategy, proper equipment and making the right moves.

popyea

It's kinda pointless to explain all the little nuances upfront, since a lot are weapon specific. Just imagine that you'll be finding all sorts of little tricks to chain moves together as you play. It's kind of like learning a new character in a fighting game. It'll reveal itself organically as long as you experiment while you play.

Doorman

I've said this often and I don't think I'm the only one, but it can help if you think about the combat mechanics being a bit closer to something like Street Fighter than Zelda or Devil May Cry or other slashing-action games. Attacks come in particular animations, some with windows that you can cancel out of and others you can't, which means there's a lot of emphasis on proper timing and positioning of your attacks. Just as important is knowing when and where not to attack, as you can leave yourself open to getting punished, again like in a fighting game. Each weapon type controls differently and has different mechanics and combos, so there's a lot of variance in whether you want to play a hit-and-run style, defensive, combo-oriented vs. slow big hits, etc.

In addition to that there's a whole host of items with all sorts of various effects, some of which come in handy more for certain weapon types or to be used against certain monsters. For the most part though if you pick up the basics of attack timing and dodge-cancelling soon enough, the rest works itself in fairly naturally through experience and perhaps a bit of wiki-reading.

mstevens

I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but these reviews are making my self-imposed boycott of the n3DS XL really hard to keep....

Lanrutcon

You're not made of rubber, and your rolls will show it. You're not magically immune to all damage while rolling. Your weapons, and their movements, have weight. You can't cancel your attacks or general motions whenever you want to. Stowing your weapons gives you a wider range of movements, and knowing when to take out your sword is as important as knowing when to swing it. You can't use items whenever you want to. Using items locks you down and makes you vulnerable. The monsters range from large to holy fucking shit huge. They have the right of way. They don't flinch unless you hit them in a specific way on a specific place. Most of their attacks cover incredibly large areas. They will knock you down, and back, and around. If you throw your attacks against theirs they will win.

Neiteio

You're not made of rubber, and your rolls will show it. You're not magically immune to all damage while rolling. Your weapons, and their movements, have weight. You can't cancel your attacks or general motions whenever you want to. Stowing your weapons gives you a wider range of movements, and knowing when to take out your sword is as important as knowing when to swing it. You can't use items whenever you want to. Using items locks you down and makes you vulnerable. The monsters range from large to holy fucking shit huge. They have the right of way. They don't flinch unless you hit them in a specific way on a specific place. Most of their attacks cover incredibly large areas. They will knock you down, and back, and around. If you throw your attacks against theirs they will win.
So no i-frames when rolling, and you have to commit to each attack, since once initiated, most attacks can't be canceled and will play out their animation unless interrupted by a monster's attack.

If each monster is only vulnerable to certain types of strikes, to certain places on their body, how do you come to learn what works? Trial and error? Consulting a wiki?

Erm, on second thought I'll just continue playing Hyrule Warriors and Majora's Mask 3D, eheh

tbh a lot of weapons in MH have crazy flowcharts like that but play much more naturally in practice. If you ever played PSO, they're kinda similar in that most weapons have a basic three-button-press X/A/X+A combo, but especially as you delve into the more complicated weapons that structure starts to break down.

So no i-frames when rolling, and you have to commit to each attack, since once initiated, most attacks can't be canceled and will play out their animation unless interrupted by a monster's attack.

If each monster is only vulnerable to certain types of strikes, to certain places on their body, how do you come to learn what works? Trial and error? Consulting a wiki?

You have a small number of i-frames while rolling (and can be increased/decreased with armor skills), most attacks have some sort of target combo so while you can't cancel them outright you can shorten the recovery frames. Parts of monsters are weaker/stronger to damage types but seldomly outright resist them. Rule of thumb is impact damage -> head, cutting damage -> tail, underside -> poke poke

aka_bueno

here's the flowchart for combo paths with the charge blade

That flow chart hurts my head. I like the Charge Blade, but I don't think I'll main it, it's too convoluted for my tastes. It's def ridiculously strong though, I can kill things a lot faster with it in the demo compared to some of the other weapons I tried out.

Top Bottom