• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Thread

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
CrushDance said:
Did they fix the controls yet from when I played the demo?
They fixed the controls around the same time you stopped trolling

OH WAIT

depward said:
Be patient. Develop "the claw" when playing (i.e. your left pointer finger controls the camera on the d-pad and your thumb the analog).

the fuck?

Between games like this and the proliferation of waggle, I just don't think I'm cut out for gaming anymore.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Awesome thread and OP, already subscribed it.

I want someone who has tried the JP game or got this one early, what exactly can you import from Freedom 2? I played the shit out of that game, and got a lot high end equipment. I'm afraid that if this game allows me to import everything that it'll make it easier and greatly cut my playtime.

Spiegel said:

wow, western media has finally warmed up to this series (especially on the PSP). It has gone a long way since it's debut with all the low scores across the board.

Himuro said:
Dled the demo last night.

I really enjoyed it for the most part and it seems like my type of action rpg; one that emphasizes precision, evasion, and difficulty.

I took some screen caps.

You can do that with Cwcheat? How?

I'll install that plug in just for this feature.

depward

SnakeswithLasers said:
the fuck?

Between games like this and the proliferation of waggle, I just don't think I'm cut out for gaming anymore.

It sounds weird and awkward and, when you first do it, it feels that way... but it becomes fairly natural after playing with that hand configuration...

ravien56

SnakeswithLasers said:
the fuck?

bahh its hard at first but you get used to it when you fight the higher monsters like rathalos.

jooey said:
They fixed the controls around the same time you stopped trolling

OH WAIT
:lol I finished reading your sentence while watching your avatar at the corner of my eye, perfect!

bigdaddygamebot said:
Cry moar.
Okay QQ :D

And no I'm not trolling, just pointing out how much of a barrier the controls are to casual players of hand held games(Like myself) and most people in general. It's a great series with nice production values and setting(I was blown away by the games demo at the beginning) but as soon as you gt into combat you end up fighting the camera more than anything.

I wish it was more like Zelda in the controls aspect as the world map even reminds me so much of it.

To the hardcore it may not be a big deal but for me at least it's a major pain preventing me from getting the game. Why can't I run across a massive expansive field with enemies all around, quirky sidequests, dungeons with puzzles and so forth? The game has some of that but is simply not fun to control.

I don't intend to derail this thread as it's an official one but I'd like to have some input from some of you more serious MH players as to how you play this shit properly!? I mean I played RE5 and loved that game yet people bitched about the controls, but it was manageable. I think a fixed camera would be nice...

NomarTyme

Jinfash said:
Awesome thread and OP, already subscribed it.

I want someone who has tried the JP game or got this one early, what exactly can you import from Freedom 2? I played the shit out of that game, and got a lot high end equipment. I'm afraid that if this game allows me to import everything that it'll make it easier and greatly cut my playtime.
I believe so, but some armor and weapons well be Nerf though.

CrushDance said:
from some of you more serious MH players as to how you play this shit properly!? I mean I played RE5 and loved that game yet people bitched about the controls, but it was manageable. I think a fixed camera would be nice...
Just got get used to it. I think some of you guys who don't like the PSP controls should just wait for the Wii release I guess.

ravien56

yea you can import but if any weapons/armors need to be changed, or whatever the game does it accordingly and if it cant be changed, they sell the equipment set. i know you can change the sex of your character also, im thinking im gonna do that, see what my guy looks like all female...and to crushdance, yea at first the controls seem hard but i think the game controls better on psp than ps2, the L button centers you and its really not that hard to control the camera, i think doing a auto focus would fuck the game up.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
NomarTyme said:
I believe so, but some armor and weapons well be Nerf though.

Hmmmm... I guess I'll just have to test it for myself. Do we have an estimation of how many new equipments they added to the game? If it's correlated only to the few new monsters, then there might not be that many.

- Here's another question: Can the felynes be upgraded with any type of equipment too? That might be something worth my time lol.

ravien56

err i dont know if the felynes can be upgraded, you can only pick the type of felyne to take with you and seeing how they cant really die...

for equipment, i think the number thrown around is 10,000, which is believeable seeing how mhf2 had rarity level 8 and this is incrasing to 10 and new mobs.

CrushDance said:
I don't intend to derail this thread as it's an official one but I'd like to have some input from some of you more serious MH players as to how you play this shit properly!?

First, rewire your brain so that your desire to play the game and do well at it is greater than your desire to hate the control scheme.

Seriously.

Just accept the fact that the controls are the way they are.

Second; practice. Practice, practice, practice. THIS reason alone is why it scares off the casuals; as well as gamers that think the controls should be optimized to how they think the game should be played.

It can be pretty unforgiving but when you have your lightbulb moment and figure particular aspects of the game out, and you've done it without a FAQ...you feel like a god on a mountaintop.

I'd say...fifteen to twenty hours in is when it finally started clicking for me and then I was hooked for keeps. That's a hefty time investment for a number of people.

Over time (alot of time) the game eventually reveals it's mechanics as well as how to exploit the mechanics of the game but you really need to put in a significant amount of time to get there.

My advice. Stay away from FAQs and wikis until you're around eighty hours. You'll have discovered nearly everything on your own and your understanding of the game as well as your skill level with combat should be high enough that you can really take advantage of the info provided in FAQS and wikis.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
ravien56 said:
yea you can import but if any weapons/armors need to be changed, or whatever the game does it accordingly and if it cant be changed, they sell the equipment set. i know you can change the sex of your character also.up.

Awesome, I'm not sure if I should change my female character, I've been playing as a female for the past two game. Am I missing some cooler looking equipment?

err i dont know if the felynes can be upgraded, you can only pick the type of felyne to take with you and seeing how they cant really die...

Back when the game was announced I could've sworn I that I heard that you can upgrade them somehow (or level them up?). Also, I was under impression that I can bring up to three in my quests at some point, but again I might be completely wrong on this. I need to catch up on this game.

for equipment, i think the number thrown around is 10,000, which is believeable seeing how mhf2 had rarity level 8 and this is incrasing to 10 and new mobs.

OK! two new levels of rarity is good for me!

bigdaddygamebot said:
First, rewire your brain so that your desire to play the game and do well at it is greater than your desire to hate the control scheme.

Seriously.

Just accept the fact that the controls are the way they are.

Second; practice. Practice, practice, practice. THIS reason alone is why it scares off the casuals; as well as gamers that think the controls should be optimized to how they think the game should be played.

It can be pretty unforgiving but when you have your lightbulb moment and figure particular aspects of the game out, and you've done it without a FAQ...you feel like a god on a mountaintop.

I'd say...fifteen to twenty hours in is when it finally started clicking for me and then I was hooked for keeps. That's a hefty time investment for a number of people.

Over time (alot of time) the game eventually reveals it's mechanics as well as how to exploit the mechanics of the game but you really need to put in a significant amount of time to get there.

My advice. Stay away from FAQs and wikis until you're around eighty hours. You'll have discovered nearly everything on your own and your understanding of the game as well as your skill level with combat should be high enough that you can really take advantage of the info provided in FAQS and wikis.
zz I dunno, you're right though that one kind of expects to play a game in a certain way. When I play any FPS game it takes me seconds as they all play with similar controls, platformers, racers etc. MH is like it's own genre in that sense...

Anyway I hope Sony is planning on integrating PSN into the next PSP so it's easier to go online.

CrushDance said:
zz I dunno, you're right though that one kind of expects to play a game in a certain way. When I play any FPS game it takes me seconds as they all play with similar controls, platformers, racers etc. MH is like it's own genre in that sense...

I have two younger nephews that constantly cry about how Game X is stupid because of the controls.

Killzone 2
Too Human
Monster Hunter
Resident Evil

...the list goes on and on. If a game strays even slightly from the status quo, they complain.

Humans are remarkably adaptable creatures.

Or play games that cater to the players and not what the designers of the game truly envisioned. If you CAN get over the "controls hangup", it opens up a tonne of games that you will enjoy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Capcom is really pushing this hard...I found an ad for it in the subway...I've never seen games (much less monster hunter) advertised inside cars before.

mohun.jpg

ravien56

The game never ends though and if u like ges like diablo 2 and it's looting ie, the design and getting that awesome sword, this game is for you.

NomarTyme

I'll burn out before i finish this game... which is never.

Y2Kev said:
Capcom is really pushing this hard...I found an ad for it in the subway...I've never seen games (much less monster hunter) advertised inside cars before.

http://www.catanzareti.com/images/Kevin/mohun.jpg[/img/][/QUOTE]
Finally!

Y2Kev said:

http://www.catanzareti.com/images/Kevin/mohun.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Which is why I want to jump in again. But seeing that they haven't "fixed" the controls and that playing multi-player is still a pain in the ass--ya, I don't know. =(

Dammit, I want to get the game tomorrow but I don't get paid for two weeks. :(

I guess beating up Silver Rathalos and failing puzzles in Layton will have to due til' then.

ravien56

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Dammit, I want to get the game tomorrow but I don't get paid for two weeks. :(

I guess beating up Silver Rathalos and failing puzzles in Layton will have to due til' then.
Try to hunt a rajang Kirin or akantor they easier than u think if u know what to do.

depward said:
Be patient. Develop "the claw" when playing (i.e. your left pointer finger controls the camera on the d-pad and your thumb the analog); it's a little bit hard at first but it's really pretty essential in order to really control the camera when fighting some tougher monsters.

This is why I hate the fact that the PSP only has one analog. This sort of thing is what turned me off of the first MHF, the reason I've been so hesitant to try another one, and also what made MGS:pO such a pain to play.

Sorry, I don't want to troll, I'm just really unhappy with with that. =/

When is Tri~ due out on Wii in NA?

Gattsu25

Banned
My PSN ID is Gattsu25

I won't be a regular player as my PSP playing hours are all types of fucked up

My brother's is Dazzil and he's a FIEND for these games.

ravien56

Blast Processing said:
This is why I hate the fact that the PSP only has one analog. This sort of thing is what turned me off of the first MHF, the reason I've been so hesitant to try another one, and also what made MGS:pO such a pain to play.

March 2010

Xater

So can someone explain to me mining? I went through the tutorial but I have still no clue what I am looking for. :lol

Loving the game so far and I have palyed most of the time alone.

NomarTyme

Xater said:
So can someone explain to me mining? I went through the tutorial but I have still no clue what I am looking for. :lol

Nothing much. Either you find a place where you can see a crack wall and choose the pick axe to start mining.

Gattsu25

Banned
Blast Processing said:

Have you played what they did when they did have a dual-analog control scheme to work with?

Xater

NomarTyme said:
Nothing much. Either you find a place where you can see a crack wall and choose the pick axe to start mining.

How do these look? I don't think I saw one ever then....

ravien56

Xater said:

yea its only on the sides of caves and stuff, try to see what it looks like through the pokke farm and you cood also just have ur axe equipped, and run along every wall till your axe icon lights up and just memorize the locations...gamefaqs also has maps of every mining location if your lazy.

PSN id is piratepwnsninja

Glad to see this is getting good reviews. Hopefully with the advertising this time around it will FINALLY catch on in the US.

Xater

piratepwnsninja said:
PSN id is piratepwnsninja

Glad to see this is getting good reviews. Hopefully with the advertising this time around it will FINALLY catch on in the US.

I think it would also help if the game had a proper tutorial. Seriously the one they offer is total garbage. It doesn't explain everything and is horribly set up.

wellnow that I'm inot it I hope it's not the last MH for the PSP. I don't want to get a Wii again. :lol

ravien56

Xater said:
I think it would also help if the game had a proper tutorial. Seriously the one they offer is total garbage. It doesn't explain everything and is horribly set up.

wellnow that I'm inot it I hope it's not the last MH for the PSP. I don't want to get a Wii again. :lol
yea...tutorial is kinda lacking and the beginning missions are fucking terrible, NO I DONT WANT TO BARBEQUE FOR A MISSION.

ravien56 said:
Try to hunt a rajang Kirin or akantor they easier than u think if u know what to do.

I'll see if I can beat Rajang or Akantor in my SNS only file (already beat Kirin and Akantor in my main one).

I want to eventually solo Fatalis though.

ravien56

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
I'll see if I can beat Rajang or Akantor in my SNS only file (already beat Kirin and Akantor in my main one).

I want to eventually solo Fatalis though.
need a akantor bow for that

ravien56

Himuro said:
They aren't? Sounds bad news to me because I don't have one of those ad-hoc things.
they are still fun, shit just takes longer to take down...ie, killing a rathalos in 10 mins in a groupo compared to 30 solo.

Thrilltacular

Neo Member
Is anyone going to just pick up this game from the beginning? If so, I totally want to tag along. I bought Monster Hunter 2 Freedom back when it was on sale at gamestop a year ago or so and just couldn't get into it, but I'm totally down for a grind-fest.

PSN: Thrilltacular03

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Thrilltacular said:
Is anyone going to just pick up this game from the beginning? If so, I totally want to tag along. I bought Monster Hunter 2 Freedom back when it was on sale at gamestop a year ago or so and just couldn't get into it, but I'm totally down for a grind-fest.

PSN: Thrilltacular03
Im starting with this game. I had the first psp game but barely played it. Dunno if Im gonna grindfest it tho :lol

Kuran

Banned
Is there any way to convert a Monster Hunter Portable 2G savegame?

Not sure if I want to start all over again.. (I probably want to)

ravien56

Himuro said:
By using the 'claw' technique I managed to take down that bastard.

13z8k2g.jpg

wjx3ie.jpg

Not bad for a Monster Hunter virgin.

Definitely getting this.
wow thats really good for your first try, what weapon you end up using?

ravien56

Himuro said:
Long Sword.
ahh my favorite. mind you though, those weapons in the demo that are given are waaay stronger than what your gonna have if you start out the game, the sword had purple sharpness...u usually start with green as LS

edit: i just hit your tag, wtf did i just watch?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Himuro said:
Holy crap. Did the second mission that's in the demo.

I am sold. This will be mine. This is AWESOME.

I've been meaning to try out MH for years but they have like 999 games and every time I want one game, the next one comes out.
:O

You should try MP some time.

Top Bottom