• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Thread

jorgeton

I picked this up on the Vita last night as it's only $10. I'm pretty hooked so far. The cat companions can be really annoying. They always hit me with their bombs :| Do they ever get useful, or are they more of a meat shield/decoy?

I picked this up on the Vita last night as it's only $10. I'm pretty hooked so far. The cat companions can be really annoying. They always hit me with their bombs :| Do they ever get useful, or are they more of a meat shield/decoy?
They're just meatshield/decoys.

Unless you're gunning, don't ever get bomb cats.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there a place where I can learn some beginner tips?

I've been working through the tutorials (well, I was... months ago, until I got distracted with other things) and I'm not too keen on going back through all that again. It's kind of tedious. lol

I'm just looking for a beginner's guide that doesn't reveal too much, but gives you a good idea about early game and maybe some pro's and cons for the various weapon types/builds.

:)

- Well, buying the books from the shop gives you hints about what monsters do.

- Pick a weapon you'll mainly use, then a subweapon in case your primary doesn't work well. To be safe, pick a melee and ranged weapon.

- Use your farm. It gives free materials everytime you finish a quest.

- Do not get bomber cats if you're melee. Don't rely on cats dealing notable damage. Ideally just make them support.

- It's better to not attack, than to attack but get hit back. Avoid trading hits. Use items while the monster is distracted. Move to different zones if you really need safety.

My comments on weapons:
- Sword & Shield (SnS): Very beginner friendly, fast, weak block, low damage.
- Dual Swords: More offensive than SnS, but even shorter range. Prepare to sharpen very often.
- Hammer: Very strong, sort of agile, can KO monsters hit in the head. Can't cut tails.
- Hunting Horn: Underpowered when you play solo. Sorta like a weaker Hammer but can cast buffs. Can't cut tails either.
- Great Sword: It's a lot about running around trying to find an opportunity to land charged unsheathe attacks on weakpoints. Can block, and usually great for cutting tails.
- Long Sword: Fast, strong, long range, but no defense and very annoying for teammates.
- Light Bowgun: Decent damage and mobility
- Heavy Bowgun: High damage, bigger ammo capacity. Very clunky. Requires a lot more experience.
- Bows: All about the DPS. You have to always be moving and keep hitting the weakest points. Can't kill as fast as bowguns in later ranks.
- Lance: The "tank" weapon but with good damage output. Very low mobility.
- Gunlance: I hate this sorry. Like a lance but awkward to use, and somehow can't kill as fast as regular lances.

Evolved1

Thanks for taking the time to type that up... much appreciated.

jorgeton

- Well, buying the books from the shop gives you hints about what monsters do.

- Pick a weapon you'll mainly use, then a subweapon in case your primary doesn't work well. To be safe, pick a melee and ranged weapon.

- Use your farm. It gives free materials everytime you finish a quest.

- Do not get bomber cats if you're melee. Don't rely on cats dealing notable damage. Ideally just make them support.

- It's better to not attack, than to attack but get hit back. Avoid trading hits. Use items while the monster is distracted. Move to different zones if you really need safety.

My comments on weapons:
- Sword & Shield (SnS): Very beginner friendly, fast, weak block, low damage.
- Dual Swords: More offensive than SnS, but even shorter range. Prepare to sharpen very often.
- Hammer: Very strong, sort of agile, can KO monsters hit in the head. Can't cut tails.
- Hunting Horn: Underpowered when you play solo. Sorta like a weaker Hammer but can cast buffs. Can't cut tails either.
- Great Sword: It's a lot about running around trying to find an opportunity to land charged unsheathe attacks on weakpoints. Can block, and usually great for cutting tails.
- Long Sword: Fast, strong, long range, but no defense and very annoying for teammates.
- Light Bowgun: Decent damage and mobility
- Heavy Bowgun: High damage, bigger ammo capacity. Very clunky. Requires a lot more experience.
- Bows: All about the DPS. You have to always be moving and keep hitting the weakest points. Can't kill as fast as bowguns in later ranks.
- Lance: The "tank" weapon but with good damage output. Very low mobility.
- Gunlance: I hate this sorry. Like a lance but awkward to use, and somehow can't kill as fast as regular lances.

Very useful. Thank you!

Evolved1

so last time I was getting into this... I could swear I had the camera mapped to the vita's right analog stick. but now I can't figure out how to do it, and i'm beginning to think maybe i'm imagining things. lol

edit: nvm... figured it out. i'm dumb, haha

Ristlager

Anyone actually still playing this? Got a Vita a month ago, and this game is just amazing. HR5 now. Long sword all the way, but recently made a very good hammer from the crab enemies, which helped me kill Yian Garuga from the cat elder quest. Killed Nargacuga as well so I am on the last Cat Elder and HR5. Kinda feeling that it is starting to get to a point where it is to hard for me, but somehow manages to kill every animal after a couple of tries.

I keep bumping the other thread but I guess this one is more appropriate. Is anyone playing the iOS version? I'm slowly (VERY slowly) building my hunter up. I forgot how much fun this series can be!

Chuckpebble

They added that for MHFU iOS.

The feature was first implemented in MH3U where it was called target camera. Normally, you tap L to center the camera behind you. If you tapped the monster's icon on the touch screen, you could tap the L button and it would point your camera horizontally at the monster. This was not a lock on. The monster could still easily leave your field of view.

In MHFU for iOS, there is an option to enable the above behavior, but it defaults to an actually full (horizontal) lock-on, where the camera is always aimed at the monster's center.

Going from the MH3U behavior, I'd say try selecting the monster on the touch screen and then tapping L.

Good to know about the IOS port. I have MH3U on 3DS and like the lock-on for the underwater battles because swimming with 1 stick is a pain but other then that I never use lock-on, MHFU made me used to camera panning (no claw).

depward

The desire sensor was also ported to the iOS version. I'll get those Kut Ku ears someday...or die trying.

As someone who has put in hundreds of hours of hammer usage across many different Monster Hunter games... I'm having a hard time hitting the face of Kut Ku for the ear break. Using a jailbroken iPad so I'm running with a dualshock controller, even.

The hit box is really strange. Maybe it's because I haven't played MHFU in so long but I don't remember the hitbox being very finnicky.

As someone who has put in hundreds of hours of hammer usage across many different Monster Hunter games... I'm having a hard time hitting the face of Kut Ku for the ear break. Using a jailbroken iPad so I'm running with a dualshock controller, even.

The hit box is really strange. Maybe it's because I haven't played MHFU in so long but I don't remember the hitbox being very finnicky.

We should farm them later!

Ristlager

P.S. If anyone knows how to lock-on while using an MFI controller, I'd love to know how ;)

If it's the same as the dualshock, you press right or left to mark the icon and then press r1 to lock the monster on. If there are two monsters on the same page you switch between them with left and right.

Btw playing with dualshock and lock on is masterful.

pje122

I'm trying to use ad hoc party on my PS3 to find people to play MHFU with, but I can't find anyone. Says no one in any of the worlds are playing this game. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm trying to use ad hoc party on my PS3 to find people to play MHFU with, but I can't find anyone. Says no one in any of the worlds are playing this game. Am I doing something wrong?

MHFU scene is more and less dead. Everyone's moved on to the never games. You'll probably never find a random on ad hoc party any time soon.

Top Bottom