• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Thread

ravien56

monsterhunterfulogo02.jpg

So because no one else has made a thread, I figured i'd make one. Please dont shoot me if anything is wrong, this is my first official thread and if you guys have any suggestions, go ahead and ill edit them in.

Release Dates
North America: June 23, 2009
Europe: June 26, 2009

Game Details

Taken from http://www.monsterhunter-freedomunite.com/MHloader.html
The Monster Hunter world is always changing and you will need to be ready for anything - but killing and trapping monsters will always be most important part of your duty.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is the biggest game of the series so far, letting you adventure with up to three friends through over 500 hours of gameplay. In MHFU you can battle previously unseen monsters in new environments, not to mention the many new weapons and armor sets available.

From devising the strategy to executing the attack, team play with your friends is going to be key to hunting down the ferocious beasts. MHFU rewards considered tactics and well-executed combat sequences so plan and work together and you will prosper.

You should always welcome new hunters so you can learn from each other’s experiences and grow together into masters. In MHFU you can even form your own guilds with your most respected hunting partners in order to seek glory in the Monster Hunter world.

You can now employ a fully customizable AI Felyne partner to join you on quests. These Felyne helpers will help you in battle and gather extra resources for you too. PSP owners can even share their companions with other players through ‘Felyne casting’ and it’s a simple as transferring the data while your PSP is in sleep mode.

There are more PSP advantages too. You can decrease your loading times by running the game from a memory stick and the UMD at the same time (requires at least 580MB). And most importantly for you seasoned hunters you can transfer saved game data from MHF2

Hunters take note; even though MHFU comes packed with new quests, weapons and more, other new content will also be added after release via download.

Weapons

Sword and shield(sns)- Pretty much considered the noob weapon, sword and shield has fast attack speed but low damage output and sharpness.

Longsword(LS)- New weapon that was added with monster hunter freedom 2. Highest sharpness in the game, with decent damage and can cut off tails very easily.

Greatsword(GS)- High attack damage, can block attacks and ok sharpness, harder to use than most weapons.

Hammers- Highest output of damage and requires some patience to use. Can stun enemies if using a charged attack on the head.

Dual swords(DS)- Fast attack speed but kind of low damage. Can use stamina to increase attack speed.

Hunting Horn(HH)- Can use for buffs. Mainly good if your playing in groups.

Lance- Hardest weapon to use, can block majority of attacks but has akward stance.

Bows/gunners-ranged attacks, can equip coatings to the arrows.

-Will update later with more info of weapons

Playing online
so your complaining that this game doesnt have psp infrastratcure? 2 ways around this.
adhoc_party.jpg

Seems that a majority of us are gonna be in World J.
1. The easy way. Buy a ps3 and follow these steps in this link.
http://www.pspmod.com/forums/all-about-psp-games/51539-how-play-monster-hunter-using-ps3-ad-hoc-party.html

2. The hard way. X-link Kai
First off you need to buy one of these.
wifimax.jpg

Once you got this, then you need to download xlink kai and follow the directions on the site. Ill post exact directions if anyones planning to actually buy one.
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

New Monsters
King Shakalaka
A crown-like object sits upon this leader of the Shakalaka’s brow. Many a skilled hunter have been frustrated by the minions it attracts to its side. But be wary, for it’s one powerful foe.

When infuriated, it will unleash an unimaginably strong attack.
180px-KingShakalaka.jpg

Yama Tsukami

An elder dragon that floats through the sky. A bite of earth, a drink of forest, it’s a veritable god of the sky made of the richest soil. Ancient trees grow thick on its back like on a mountain. It’s rumored to live near a forlorn, remote tower.

509808-dl_m20_large.jpg

Lavasioth

A piscine wyvern that resides in magma. Its scales are covered by layers of cooled magma, which makes it one hard nut to crack.
It swims around in lava, spewing the molten rock it takes in at its prey… Researchers love to study its peculiar way of life.

monster_hunter_freedom_unite_conceptart_nxjZd_thumb.jpg

Hypnocatrice

A rust-colored bird wyvern with beautiful tail feathers found mainly in forests. A highly pacifistic wyvern by nature, it breathes sleeping gas on its enemies and prey alike. Its strong, developed legs pack a serious punch, so be careful!

monster_hunter_freedom_unite_conceptart_Qx0dx_thumb.jpg

Narugakaruga

One of the worst named monsters in unite. Nicknamed cougrex.

35dattx.jpg

Reviews

1up-A+
Freedom Unite is a huge game, and, naturally, a little intimidating. But not only are you getting the best installment of the Monster Hunter franchise so far (though Monster Hunter 3 will no doubt be just as grand), you're getting an enormous action RPG that gives you a lot in return for putting a lot in. And it can potentially keep you attached to your PSP longer than you ever thought.

IGN AU-9.5/10
There are few flaws. It's incredibly addictive, sure, but that's not a bug; it's a feature. Likewise, you can't save, or even pause the action mid-mission. Thus the stakes are raised, and the experience heightened. Each new challenge is maddening at first, and a cakewalk in hindsight — and each hunt is a thrill.

IGN US-8/10
Unite offers welcome improvements (the game install, the ability to stack items in your box, and new monsters) but is pretty much the exact same experience people were playing two years ago.

Eurogamer-8/10
It requires enormous quantities of patience, planning and persistence. If you're up to the challenge, prepare yourself for one of the most rewarding opportunities in gaming.

Ps3 Ad-Hoc PSN
Pretty much post your psn and ill update this list if your planning to use ad-hoc party

ravien56
smh17
mightkac
kassatsu
xater
bigdaddygamebot
plus1chromosome
nomar123
piratepwnsninja
Gattsu25

ravien56

NomarTyme said:
Cool what did you use? I still have Akantor to fight for my final battle.
we ended up making diablo chaos breakers, a high end hammer, they are actually pretty easy to make, 2 of them had the hammers, and i had my dragon longsword. Basic strat is to just hit it, hammer users hit the head, it usually gets stunned, then every must be carrying 15 flashbombs/bugs so that when hes rage mode, we dont gotta worry about dieing. Fighting him is pretty easy and we got his tail cut off. We also beat a rajang too, that was pretty sweet, all we got left really is a fatalis.

Teknoman

Yeah i'll be ready. Importing my MHF2 data, but I didnt have that much done anyway.

EDIT: And I have a PS3 headset.

ravien56

yea im currentely at 157 hours>_<, planning to do a full import of data though and im gonna move my router downstairs so i can play through ps3 with you guys. ill edit in to join world J.

I'll be getting it. I'm not a MH expert, but played MHF2 enough to know that I like it. Would love to do some online with people using adhoc party. Should be in Tuesday...I'm psyched!

Flunkie

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
I'll be getting it. I'm not a MH expert, but played MHF2 enough to know that I like it. Would love to do some online with people using adhoc party. Should be in Tuesday...I'm psyched!
Pretty much this. I hope I can play a little with you guys.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So apart from the renamed monsters, any real difference between this and MHP2G? Regardless, I'm still buying this, just because the boxart(hint hint) is so awesome.

edit: I suggest people to not go for the WifiMax if they plan on getting on Kai, but rather get an alternative, such as a Planex to avoid connection issues in Vista.

SumGamer

Here's some suggestion.

Refrain from using words other might find offensive in OP, noob and such.
Put in abbr next to each weapon for newcomer to understand what most people saying.

Sword and Shield [SnS]
Longsword [LS]
Greatsword [GS]
Hammer
Dual Swords [DS]
Hunting Horn [HH]
Lance
Gunlance [GL] <- You missed this.
Bow
Light Bowgun [LBG]
Heavy Bowgun [HBG]

You should also add a few details about the game like, what's it about. Main idea basically.

Add this colourful Official Field Guide in OP(It's from Capcom-Unity), look nice and probably good for newcomers: http://static.capcom.com/monsterhunter/MH_LRG.pdf

Also, add Encyclopedia-Gigantica.

Dunno when my locals gonna get the game :(

Xater

This is my first Monster Hunter experience. Hope I will be able to fight only with my lame character from the beginning.

One last go at this. I will be on Adhoc Party, not even HR2 on Freedom 2, so hopefully no stupid high level demand rooms in excess.

I am going to exclusively play this game online, and not make the mistake of playing it single player and wanting to cut my own testicles off after the fury of 5 MonHunt failures in a row.

ravien56 said:
2. The hard way. X-link Kai
First off you need to buy one of these.
wifimax.jpg

Once you got this, then you need to download xlink kai and follow the directions on the site. Ill post exact directions if anyones planning to actually buy one.
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/
This is not the only way to do XLink Kai anymore. Planex makes some great adapters now that are made with PSP/XLink Kai in mind.

It&#8217;s a lot easier than trying to track down an old WiFi Max since they are not sold anymore and new versions of it flat out don&#8217;t work. Not only that but you don&#8217;t have to deal with installing custom unofficial driver stuff either.

Xater

SecretBonusPoint said:
One last go at this. I will be on Adhoc Party, not even HR2 on Freedom 2, so hopefully no stupid high level demand rooms in excess.

I am going to exclusively play this game online, and not make the mistake of playing it single player and wanting to cut my own testicles off after the fury of 5 MonHunt failures in a row.

Haha I just played it online with someone who was HR7. He helped me out anyway. :D

What about adhoc party requires a wired connection?

I have a PS3 and bluetooth headset. My copy of MHU ships the 29th. Will players with the US version be able to play using adhoc as well?

Xater

smallmouth said:
What about adhoc party requires a wired connection?

I have a PS3 and bluetooth headset. My copy of MHU ships the 29th. Will players with the US version be able to play using adhoc as well?

I'm from Europe and just used it.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone tell me about cross-compatibility on adhoc party? I know that you can play with players who own a different region copy on Xlink Kai, was wondering if the same can be said for the PS3 equivalent.

ravien56

technically no as you gotta make a jpn account at this point to download it...it does work fine though, the english world is world j.

dfyb

Banned
ravien56 said:
technically no as you gotta make a jpn account at this point to download it...it does work fine though, the english world is world j.
i guess what i'm asking is -- could i go online, using ad-hoc party, with my USA copy of freedom 2?

Spiegel

IGN AU Review

9.0 Presentation
Evokes a bygone time of high adventure; part Conan, part Jurassic Park.
9.5 Graphics
The forests are lush, the deserts are blistering, the monsters are freakish, and the armour designs are absolutely fabulous.
9.5 Sound
Varies between gripping orchestral and rambling, nostalgic folk. Hilarious FX.
9.5 Gameplay
The difficulty level is harsh, but fair. Each weapon class handles very differently; there's a playing style in here for everyone.
10 Lasting Appeal
With addictive gameplay spread over 400 missions, this is a real 'desert island' game.
Incredible OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average) See All Award Recipients

http://psp.ign.com/articles/996/996630p1.html

NomarTyme

I decided not to buy from Amazon. I really hope best buy have it by the 23rd, but their website listed 6/24 release date.

depward

Himuro said:
I use cwcheat with my hacked psp.

Someone give me tips. I'm a nub.

Be patient. Develop "the claw" when playing (i.e. your left pointer finger controls the camera on the d-pad and your thumb the analog); it's a little bit hard at first but it's really pretty essential in order to really control the camera when fighting some tougher monsters. Start with an "easier" weapon such as the sword and shield or the longsword and graduate to harder-to-use weaponry as you become comfortable with monster attack patterns.

Be prepared to die. A lot.

Davidion

Hmmm, saw an ad for this in the subway today. Interesting that they're promoting a PSP game this much.

Should be interesting.

ravien56

depward said:
Be patient. Develop "the claw" when playing (i.e. your left pointer finger controls the camera on the d-pad and your thumb the analog); it's a little bit hard at first but it's really pretty essential in order to really control the camera when fighting some tougher monsters. Start with an "easier" weapon such as the sword and shield or the longsword and graduate to harder-to-use weaponry as you become comfortable with monster attack patterns.

Be prepared to die. A lot.
Yea good advice especially the dieing part... I remember fighting a khezu and thinking it's the hardest shit.

Top Bottom