• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Yoko Taro's been playing this game, and has imagined his own storyline for it:

As I play MHRise, here is a story I thought up

- After the tutorial there is a rampage and the buff old man acts as a shield to save everyone but dies. In fact, he dies due to a mistake made by the player.
- Either the dango girl or the buddy plaza kid dies. The one who doesnā€™t falls into darkness and sets fire to Kamura village. The chorus from the buddy plaza BGM no longer plays.
- The last boss arrives but nothing you can do will harm it, but you can sacrifice one of the twins and make a weapon out of her that will damage it. You the player has the choose which of the girls. After creating the weapon, there is no longer singing in the village BGM.
- As main characters die out, they are replaced by the store generic NPCs, and they start to come to the conclusion that the player is a danger to the village. They start restricting items and weapons, making the game more difficult.
- During a super hard quest, the target monster is able to talk. They tell you the ā€œtrue meaningā€ behind the monsters and Kamura village, and we learn the reason why our hunter has a voice in this game.
- After clearing all the village quests, the village is left asunder. You can only play online multiplayer. The players, who have lost everything, can only go on killing monsters in this cold and barren world. (Title of the game is shown)
Sounds like a Taro story, alright!

Last edited:
Yoko Taro's been playing this game, and has imagined his own storyline for it:

Sounds like a Taro story, alright!
He should just go all the way and suggest Shin Minoto Tensei: Mechanical Maiden Saga.

Following from his suggestions: sacrifice Minoto to form a unique Charge Blade that is fused to my hunter for all eternity. The spirit of Minoto resides within and can be summoned to negotiate with monsters in the fallen world. Some monster require you to time travel to fetch their eggs and hatch them.

Culminates in a final fight with me and my recruited monsters vs the Cult of Hinoa, which plays out like a 4D MOBA and also has bullet hell sequences, glory kills etc. and it ends by frying every Nintendo Switch that runs it.

Don't ask anything inappropriate
In comes 100 lewd questions about the Wyverian twins.

Edit: Okay, just to redeem myself a bit in this shitpost, I did submit a question, more of an implicit request for them to implement "roll" for the x-axis in gyro controls. Currently it defaults to "yaw" in all modes which is mostly fine, except for handheld you need to steer your Switch like you're driving. It's playable but generally "roll" is preferable for handheld gyro.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yea I'm sure they will, but this is just a dev Q&A, not 3.0 stuff. I'm expecting 3.0 to have the first collab(s) since we didn't get any this time.
Yeah I hope they give us more interesting event quests because so far what we got is just normal hunts.

Last edited:

Pejo

Yeah I hope they give us more interesting event quests because so far what we got is just normal hunts.
The more I play rise, the more I think it was a mistake to have wyvern riding work the way that it does. Multiple monsters per quest used to provide some danger, even though the monster HP was cut per monster. Now you see a multi-monster quest and you're like "hell yea, free wyvern riding damage!" because the first thing that two monsters do when they see each other is put one or the other in a ridable state. I wish it took more than a single hit for a monster to induce that in another monster. Also, this means that one of my favorites Qurupeco will never be in because he just makes any quest easier by offering a free ride.

Danjin44

The more I play rise, the more I think it was a mistake to have wyvern riding work the way that it does. Multiple monsters per quest used to provide some danger, even though the monster HP was cut per monster. Now you see a multi-monster quest and you're like "hell yea, free wyvern riding damage!" because the first thing that two monsters do when they see each other is put one or the other in a ridable state. I wish it took more than a single hit for a monster to induce that in another monster. Also, this means that one of my favorites Qurupeco will never be in because he just makes any quest easier by offering a free ride.
I donā€™t like the fact as soon as another monster enters the map, your target completely lose interest in you to attack other monster, it messes with pace of the battle.

Last edited:

Pejo

I donā€™t like the fact as soon as another monster enters the map, your target completely lose interest in you to attack other monster, it messes with pace if the battle.
Yea, true, and how after a monster has been used to attack another one, when they run into each other again, they just auto-dung themselves and both run off somewhere else. The whole riding system needs some work I feel. I almost never see turf wars anymore.

TheKratos

Yea, true, and how after a monster has been used to attack another one, when they run into each other again, they just auto-dung themselves and both run off somewhere else. The whole riding system needs some work I feel. I almost never see turf wars anymore.
Running them into each other is purposely a gameplay design/mechanic to prevent two monsters in a same fight which is a dangerous situation. It basically works as a dung bomb. Also, I don't often (hell almost never) see BOTH run off, your main target remains in the area.

If you fail to run them into each other prepare to get fucked by double monsters. Same with mounted finsher, fail to do that on time and enjoy double ass whooping.

Danjin44

Just fought Teostra for the first time in Rise. He seems way less annoying now.
That kind of story with most Monsters in Rise. kushala in Rise fights in more ground and rarely in air compare to World which most time fights in the air.

NanaMiku

e90f5f9c3bb8d184b209706eaaacfcb4fbd48665_hq.gif

7be618216e86b7a31b8ff3e4e0246b58acb3b8e2r1-354-200_hq.gif

BELIEVE

I'm not sure how much they'd have to change due to the existence of turf wars and wyvern riding, but I'd love for the Seltas and Seltas Queen to return, more Neopterons in general would be very much appreciated; cracking insectoid exoskeletons is always a great time.

Pejo

I'm not sure how much they'd have to change due to the existence of turf wars and wyvern riding, but I'd love for the Seltas and Seltas Queen to return, more Neopterons in general would be very much appreciated; cracking insectoid exoskeletons is always a great time.
There was an interview back during World being relatively new that they talked about this. Skeletons are the hardest part of bringing a monster in, but they had problems with the insectoids and leviathans in World because they looked weird conforming to all the terrain. Since Rise is more flat, they were able to bring them in, so I'd expect to see Seltas and Nerscylla for sure.

There was an interview back during World being relatively new that they talked about this. Skeletons are the hardest part of bringing a monster in, but they had problems with the insectoids and leviathans in World because they looked weird conforming to all the terrain. Since Rise is more flat, they were able to bring them in, so I'd expect to see Seltas and Nerscylla for sure.
I think due to the lowered expectations of the Switch hardware, the team can get away with some of that "weirdness" like when certain bodily elements clip through the terrain such as gentle slopes.

Nothing against Nerscylla but I don't really see her returning considering we have a pseudo replacement.

Speaking of level design, if there's one thing Rise lacks it's the more gimmicky zones like that Rath nest at the top of the Ancestral Steppe or the webbed spots that Nerscylla would abuse.

So far the only thing close to that is the Sandy Plains' sandpit where it feels made for Diablos (lol).

Considering that MHR features a super neat Camera, I'm surprised at the lack of screenshots (and clips) in this OT.

Anyway, it's funny how many things I hadn't unlocked even after >100hrs cause I'm not very organised with these things.

Here are a few (handheld) shots of a Village Tigrex on my first hunt when I realized I hadn't unlocked his intro yet.
va2oiLO.jpg
9pHLbcC.jpg
TnSPuKo.jpg
UJdotJl.jpg

Pejo

I think due to the lowered expectations of the Switch hardware, the team can get away with some of that "weirdness" like when certain bodily elements clip through the terrain such as gentle slopes.

Nothing against Nerscylla but I don't really see her returning considering we have a pseudo replacement.

Speaking of level design, if there's one thing Rise lacks it's the more gimmicky zones like that Rath nest at the top of the Ancestral Steppe or the webbed spots that Nerscylla would abuse.

So far the only thing close to that is the Sandy Plains' sandpit where it feels made for Diablos (lol).
Regardless of the similarities between bugs, I still think Nerscylla will be back due to how easy it will be to implement, and I would love to see this armor set in Rise:

4MhNWhQ.png

Regardless of the similarities between bugs, I still think Nerscylla will be back due to how easy it will be to implement, and I would love to see this armor set in Rise:

4MhNWhQ.png
Well, you're talking to Mr. Greedy here; I personally want every monster to return (even Plesioth), with Apex and Hyper variants wherever possible and all the beautiful assorted gear! :D

I'm just looking at it from a different (you could say pessimistic) angle, you see it as "same skeleton = easy", I see it as "how does the moveset translate to the current state of the game?".

Currently the bug we have works because it is huge. Nerscylla's ceiling crawl mainly worked in the maps that featured webs or low ceilings of which there are currently none? Like which MHR map would you even propose Nerscylla to inhabit?

Having said that, there's always the possibility that this or the next update would introduce at least one more map, so the possibilities are certainly there!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Monster Hunter Rise has been out for a bit and already attained massive success, selling over six million units thus far. After its latest update added several new monsters into the mix, it seems like a good time to examine some of the best hunts in the game. Let's take a look at 15 of them here.

Goss Harag
Tetranadon
Rakna-Kadaki
Bishaten
Magnamalo
Wind Serpent Ibushi
Chameleos
Khezu
Thunder Serpent Narwa
Apex Mizutsune
Somnacanth
Teostra
Basarios
Aknosom
Apex Rathian
I suppose I can spoil this a bit by saying none of the Great ____i are in the list. (So much for being great, lol.)

Maiden Voyage

Goldā„¢ Member
I feel like the players you get paired with at 8* Hub quests are not very good. I had a couple of hunts yesterday that were nearly failures or outright failures. In one case, the same dude fainted twice to the very first monster on a 2-monster-hunt. We somehow managed to squeeze out a victory. Maybe I just babysit my health gauge mores than others but I don't faint that often during a hunt.

I feel like the players you get paired with at 8* Hub quests are not very good. I had a couple of hunts yesterday that were nearly failures or outright failures. In one case, the same dude fainted twice to the very first monster on a 2-monster-hunt. We somehow managed to squeeze out a victory. Maybe I just babysit my health gauge mores than others but I don't faint that often during a hunt.
Maybe he was just trying to be Heroic, lol.

Danjin44

We finally got Valstrax and I'm glad we don't to wait to fight Apex Zinogre outside of Rampage, but is it just me or we got more monsters in 2.0 update? Maybe there is secret monster in 3.0 like how it was with Bazelgeuse.

Last edited:

Pejo

We finally got Valstrax and I'm glad we don't to wait to fight Apex Zinogre outside of Rampage, but is it just me or we got more monsters in 2.0 update? Maybe there is secret monster in 3.0 like how it was with Bazelgeuse.
Yea, but at least they're keeping pace on the updates. I'd rather that then waiting 3 months for 2-3 monsters.

My biggest complaint is that when you get a still look at Valstrax....he looks like shit.

Like an early PS2 3D model where the rest of the monsters all look competent. I can see why the trailer is dark for his introduction, he looks really out of place.
xhrgsi1u2h171.jpg

Danjin44

My biggest complaint is that when you get a still look at Valstrax....he looks like shit.
I personally wont judge looks of the monster based youtube video, because in 2.0 trailer kushala didn't good look to me until I saw it in person which looked pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Yea, but at least they're keeping pace on the updates. I'd rather that then waiting 3 months for 2-3 monsters.

Like an early PS2 3D model where the rest of the monsters all look competent. I can see why the trailer is dark for his introduction, he looks really out of place.
xhrgsi1u2h171.jpg
The less obvious good news with this update is that unlike speculation from a GAFfer (whose name I forgot), additional monsters aren't confined to "The Elder Dragons Selection".

The previous update lent credence to his theory but this one disproves it. Though of course Capcom could just troll me and only release EDs from here on till the Iceborne equivalent expansion.

Edit: Scrap all that. I googled to double check and it turns out Valstrax was an ED even in MHXX. I'd always thought of him simply as the MHXX flagship. Sigh, back to hoping we get non-ED additions.

Last edited:

Danjin44

One collaboration I want to see after MH stories 2 is with Shin Megami Tensei series. I don't mind we get to monsters like Cerberus in Rise

rFXIxL9.png

Or Astral Chain
yebyScz.png

And we get Beast Legion Layered Armour for our Palamutes.
Astral-Chain-2.jpg

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Catch up on the Monster Hunter Digital Event ā€“ May 2021 to get the latest #MHStories2 and #MHRise Free Title Update news!

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
šŸŽ„ New Trailer
šŸ”„ Rage Rays
šŸ„š Befriending Monsties
šŸ² Rite of Channeling

Monster Hunter Rise Title Update Ver. 3.0
šŸŒ  Crimson Glow Valstrax
āš” Apex Zinogre
šŸ“– New Story Ending

One collaboration I want to see after MH stories 2 is with Shin Megami Tensei series. I don't mind we get to monsters like Cerberus in Rise

rFXIxL9.png

Or Astral Chain
yebyScz.png

And we get Beast Legion Layered Armour for our Palamutes.
Astral-Chain-2.jpg
On one hand I want to be optimistic that Nintendo pushes for these, on the other hand if we're look at the 3rd party collabs MHW had it's all with bigger franchises (Horizon, FF, Witcher); Persona is a much likelier collaboration (think Palico Morgana) than SMT.

So it's sort of a good thing that Persona 5 started using SMT demons instead of kitchen utensils for enemies.

Edit: Somewhat related, there's an MHR collaboration going on in Ninjala at the moment.

Last edited:

Danjin44

On one hand I want to be optimistic that Nintendo pushes for these, on the other hand if we're look at the 3rd party collabs MHW had it's all with bigger franchises (Horizon, FF, Witcher); Persona is a much likelier collaboration (think Palico Morgana) than SMT.

So it's sort of a good thing that Persona 5 started using SMT demons instead of kitchen utensils for enemies.

Edit: Somewhat related, there's an MHR collaboration going on in Ninjala at the moment.
The reason I would say SMT because 5th is coming to Switch this year(hopefully) while the main Persona 5 is still Playstation exclusive, itā€™s makes much more sense for Nintendo try to promote upcoming SMTV rather than Persona.

The reason I would say SMT because 5th is coming to Switch this year(hopefully) while the main Persona 5 is still Playstation exclusive, itā€™s makes much more sense for Nintendo try to promote upcoming SMTV rather than Persona.
Yea my thoughts were along those lines, that Nintendo would have to be the one pushing for it, since it'd also give the Switch version some added appeal when the PC version drops next year.

FYI I'm one of those people who prefers SMT over Persona every single time but the reality is that in terms of mindshare it's the other way around.

Danjin44

FYI I'm one of those people who prefers SMT over Persona every single time but the reality is that in terms of mindshare it's the other way around.
Same, I enjoy Persona series but I vastly prefer SMT games, but you are right Persona currently more popular.

Pejo

Me: "Wyvern Riding is so much fun! Check me out flying around on a Rathalos, woohoo!"

Anjanath: "Ouch, it burns!"

Pejo Pejo : "I don't really like Wyvern Riding..."

Wyvern Riding intensifies
Me: "IT'S TIME FOR YOUR PUNISHMENT, PEJO!!!"
That was a fun gif.

To clarify - I don't hate the act of Wyvern Riding. I hate what it does to the gameplay loop of a hunt, in that it's basically a permanent dung ball and happens instantaneously instead of after they slug it out for a while.

Wyvern riding itself is a ton of fun.

Same, I enjoy Persona series but I vastly prefer SMT games, but you are right Persona currently more popular.
Yea modern Persona is a well crafted franchise and it's a good thing in that it's probably Atlus' main moneymaker, the same way that Capcom leaned on RE and now MH.

Without that money I'm not sure some of the less popular series would ever get made; the same way that Bayonetta 2 was financed by Mario coins.

Also, can I have a social link with Minoto? Capcom pls.

That was a fun gif.

To clarify - I don't hate the act of Wyvern Riding. I hate what it does to the gameplay loop of a hunt, in that it's basically a permanent dung ball and happens instantaneously instead of after they slug it out for a while.

Wyvern riding itself is a ton of fun.
Oh don't mind me, I was going through clips on my Switch to delete (too many) and spotted this one from weeks ago and thought it might be funny. It also shows that you can use the Mounted Punisher on a monster that was minding its own business.

Since you mentioned perma dung ball, I'm interpreting it as you not liking your target monster relocating after a Wyvern Ride???

Also what would the slugging it out part add? Believability? Chance for player to interrupt? I'm asking cause it's a bit vague as is.

Top Bottom