• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories announced for 3DS (RPG - 2016)

I think MH could be doing Destiny or GTA numbers if Capcom gave it a AAA budget and put it on PS4/XBO. It still gets no respect in the west and i think it's because the series is mainly portable.
MH doesn't even have a quarter of the budget of Destiny and has a million times more game play. All your asking for is prettier graphics. Majority of the people who bought Destiny and GTA are the casual gamers who only buy the yearly re-releases or the "big hype" game. There's reasons why their game-play is so accessible. Give them Monster Hunter and they'd give up before they even got to Great Jaggi cause "its too hard"

Gidim

Banned
Well, honestly, they kind of didn't. Nintendo has been the ones responsible for localizing the games outside Japan since MH3, I think. I don't know if Capcom has localized any of the MH spin-offs that's come out since then that's been on non-Nintendo platforms.

Honestly the first game I ever played of the Monster Hunter series was one of the Unite games on the PSP. I didn't know that Nintendo published them outside of Japan. I wonder what kind of deal publishers get out Nintendo for doing that? I mean, Square does deals like this with Dragon Quest games on portables (or did) .

Alrus

Yup, that. The series hasn't missed a G entry since Nintendo started picking up the slack, but the spinoffs were all exclusively mobile or PSP before then so they never got a chance to try with those.

Huh? The only mainline game Capcom didn't release in the west was Portable 3rd because the PSP was deader than dead in the west. Nothing to do with Nintendo picking up the slack.

Edit: Forgot about Dos, guess MH bombing on the PS2 made them a bit frisky about that one.

Berordn

Honestly the first game I ever played of the Monster Hunter series was one of the Unite games on the PSP. I didn't know that Nintendo published them outside of Japan. I wonder what kind of deal publishers get out Nintendo for doing that? I mean, Square does deals like this with Dragon Quest games on portables (or did) .

Nintendo generally takes care of localization and marketing at no expense to the original developer/publisher. Its a totally safe way to have your franchise make the jump overseas and lose nothing except minor control over branding.

Huh? The only mainline game Capcom didn't release in the west was Portable 3rd because the PSP was deader than dead in the west. Nothing to do with Nintendo picking up the slack.

Edit: Forgot about Dos, guess MH bombing on the PS2 made them a bit frisky about that one.

Tri G/Ultimate also seemed like it was never coming over until Nintendo started backing it, and we didn't get 4 until Ultimate with Nintendo pushing it.

They did try to bring P3rd HD over though but Sony stopped that from happening.

Korigama

Tri G/Ultimate also seemed like it was never coming over until Nintendo started backing it, and we didn't get 4 until Ultimate with Nintendo pushing it.
?

Nintendo didn't publish any of the MH games in North America. In Europe, yes, but Capcom published the US releases. Nintendo still provided a marketing boost for MH in the US, though.

?

Nintendo didn't publish any of the MH games in North America. In Europe, yes, but Capcom published the US releases. Nintendo still provided a marketing boost for MH in the US, though.

They also helped with the localization(translations) for 3U, not sure about 4U though but i'd assume Tree House was helping out again.

Do we have proof of Treehouse's involvement?

Treehouse is Nintendo's localization team. Capcom stated in an interview that the only reason they were able to get 3U out west as quickly as they did was due to help from Nintendo. Putting 2 and 2 together its assumed it would be Treehouse working with them but it may also be others.

Korigama

Treehouse is Nintendo's localization team. Capcom stated in an interview that the only reason they were able to get 3U out west as quickly as they did was due to help from Nintendo. Putting 2 and 2 together its assumed it would be Treehouse working with them but it may also be others.
8-4 were the ones associated with the localizations for Tri and 3U. I wouldn't know about any involvement from Treehouse one way or the other.

Condom

8-4 were the ones associated with the localizations for Tri and 3U. I wouldn't know about any involvement from Treehouse one way or the other.
8-4 is amazing when it comes to localization.
Didn't even know Treehouse was a localization team haha

Vena

8-4 localized MH4U. Treehouse is too busy localizing Xenoblade.

8-4 is amazing when it comes to localization.
Didn't even know Treehouse was a localization team haha

Gold-standard of localization teams. :p

?

Nintendo pushed the advertising arm for MH stateside, but Capcom did the publishing. The two companies have a pretty close-nit deal with regards to the mainline titles.

3U's localization was awesome.

mh3r_013.jpg

Shengar

Oh christ made the mistake of looking for more information on this game on other forums. All these edgelords complaining that it's 'kiddy' make me think I fell into a time portal to the Gamecube days.
MH is a serious, grimdark game, no fun allowed
Wait, did he take that Mommy monsters egg? Cause, like, that is not cool, man.
C'mon, here's what could happened if the kid didn't take the egg
-Egg got eaten by Jaggi
-Egg got eaten by Deviljho
-Mommy got killed by hunter
-Mommy got eaten by Deviljho
-Egg hatched, got eaten by Deviljho
-Egg hatched, grow then hunted by hunter
-Egg hatched, grow then got eaten by Deviljho

Or you could take the egg, and raise a Tigrex with a good anger management!
3U's localization was awesome.

mh3r_013.jpg
So does 4U

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

Eh? :(

MH doesn't even have a quarter of the budget of Destiny and has a million times more game play. All your asking for is prettier graphics. Majority of the people who bought Destiny and GTA are the casual gamers who only buy the yearly re-releases or the "big hype" game. There's reasons why their game-play is so accessible. Give them Monster Hunter and they'd give up before they even got to Great Jaggi cause "its too hard"

picard-facepalm.jpg

Prettier graphics

...and physics based destructible terrain
and real time weather
and open world with no more loading zones
and more than 4 players per room, per hunt
and mounts (this could make water fights actually good). Air fights too.
and a monster taming system

I just want MH to get to the next level, to make a big step up. Water was a bust. Climbing & mounting in 4 is good, but a bit too scripted. I think they need to revise their loot system too. It takes too many hunts of the same thing to make a full set.

Shauni

?

I was under the impression that Capcom maintained the title of publisher, but Nintendo essentially did everything else in regards to bringing a title to another region. Is that incorrect?

It's funny how people think Nintendo is the one localization the Monster Hunter games, some think they localized Bravely Default too.[/SPOILER]

Didn't they? Or did just publish it and Square did the actual translation and coding work for the localization.

redcrayon

Prettier graphics

...and physics based destructible terrain
and real time weather
and open world with no more loading zones
and more than 4 players per room, per hunt
and mounts (this could make water fights actually good). Air fights too.
and a monster taming system

I just want MH to get to the next level, to make a big step up. Water was a bust. Climbing & mounting in 4 is good, but a bit too scripted. I think they need to revise their loot system too. It takes too many hunts of the same thing to make a full set.[/QUOTE]
Agree on destructible terrain- it happens a few times in MH4 and makes the monsters feel powerful.
Agree on weather- hunting in the rain would be cool.
Open world- I don't think the zones is necessarily a limitation any more. It lets each area have a bit of focus, and provides ways to both escape and move around the map very quickly. Open world wouldn't automatically make it better, MH, when played online, is an arcadey action game, not an rpg where we stop to look at the trees. Open world sounds more like a single player game, I think players would find the lack of variety that comes from an immediate change in terrain due to zoning to be more tedious.
More than 4 players in a tavern- agree.
The water battles I actually loved, so disagree there. I thought it was beautiful and Lagi/Ludroth are amongst my favourite creatures.
Mounts, as in, being monster cavalry? And aerial battles? Not sure. Could be cool in SP. Moving around on a giant flying creature would be an epic event quest though.
Monster taming sounds more like pokemon to me, sounds alright for an rpg spinoff, but I don't think Monster Hunter needs endless new features. It could end up diluting the core game.

Slower-paced stuff that sounds great in an SP rpg doesn't always work in multiplayer where hunts often take under ten minutes.

tuffy

I just want MH to get to the next level, to make a big step up. Water was a bust. Climbing & mounting in 4 is good, but a bit too scripted. I think they need to revise their loot system too. It takes too many hunts of the same thing to make a full set.
And what does any of that stuff have to do with this game? Posting some wishlist for a hypothetical Monster Hunter game is getting increasingly off-topic for the RPG title at hand.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think MH could be doing Destiny or GTA numbers if Capcom gave it a AAA budget and put it on PS4/XBO. It still gets no respect in the west and i think it's because the series is mainly portable.

Western audiences aren't attracted to slow-paced PvE action games.

Top Bottom