• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Monpiece |OT| Hold the PlayStation® Vita Vertically...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

iZ5eSlEYWwUMH.png

General Info

Genre: Card battle game
Platform: PlayStation Vita DIGITAL only for NA and EU.
Players: 1-2 (Ad-hoc, Network play)
Release Dates: 5/27/2014 (NA), 6/4/2014 (EU)
Publisher: Idea Factory International, Inc.
Developer: COMPILE HEART
ESRB/PEGI: Mature/12+
PAL availability: For a full list of PAL region countries the game is available in, please check the SPEC tab on the official site.

Things below here might be regarded as NSFW depending on one's tolerance. I've tried to keep it as tame as possible image-wise, so use discretion when clicking images!

Official Site

The Plot

Set in the world of Yafaniel, a land where humans and "monster girls" coexit, the story follows May Esperio, an Academy student working to become a "master" of monster girls. When one of her best friends, Elza, becomes afflicted by a curse and turns evil, May pursues her across the world in an attempt to cure her.

• The story mode takes place on the World Map lined with routes and populated with story events and battles. From the World Map, players can access the Academy which includes the Card Gym, Shop, and Museum.

The Board

• The field is composed of 7x3 spaces, with each player possessing 3x3 spaces on opposite ends.
  • When units are summoned, they move forward automatically and attack enemy units in front of them.
  • Games are won by reducing the enemy's HQ durability to 0, most likely by having living units make it to the other end of the field and inflicting damage directly.
  • Summons are tied to a mana system. Mana automatically increases by 3 each turn, but can also be increased by skills and Aura Bonuses.
The Cards

In addition to an HP, ATK, and INT value, a Monster Girl card possesses the following:

• Roles: Melee, ranged, healer, and buffer.
  • Mana cost: How much mana it costs to summon.
  • Species: Units of the same species can be fused together creating one unit with the added stats of the original units.
  • Aura: Determined by the color of the card border, consecutively summoning units with the same Aura color triggers the Aura Bonus causing beneficial effects such as increased Mana or increased unit stats.
  • Potentials: Appears to be reactive effects that occur on opponents turns, such as counter-attacks and being immovable.
  • Skills: Appears to be active effects that can be activated on your own turn, like healing allies and damaging enemies.
  • Card art: Illustrations contributed by many different mangaka and dōjinshi artists. A few notable names like Mota (7th Dragon) and Wada Rco (Fate Extra) are listed as well.
The Lewd

• Monster Girls' skills can be leveled up using First Crush ♥ Rub mode, where players "send magic power into the card by rubbing." Rub P, a currency obtained from battles, must be spent to activate this mode.
  • The goal of First Crush ♥ Rub is to cause the Tension Gauge to hit max within the time limit. As a Monster Girl's tension rises, so does Otton, a rub fairy that detects monster girls' tension.
  • Technique is important, as each Monster Girl has different weak points and react to different touch styles which include rubbing, touching, poking, and pinching.
  • When the time is right, Extreme Love can be achieved causing a Monster Girl's tension to rise even faster. This mode requires a wholly different hand technique from before, only achievable thanks to the innovative front and back screen tech of the Playstation Vita.
  • Monster Girls' costumes come in three levels*: Heavy Armor, Light Armor, and Swimwear, but it appears that certain monster girls can transform into a different monster girl after the third level. *Some monster girls progress to only 2nd level because lol.
The Multiplayer

• Players can battle online or through Ad-hoc and obtain Master Rings. One Master Ring is given when entering a fight, and another is given for winning. A set of 6 rings can be turned in for a rare card pack, Seal Stone, or Rub P.
  • Certain Monster Girls have their First Crush ♥ Rub sealed away, and must be unlocked through Seal Stones.
  • Battle conditions can also be customized by the host.
Official Trailer (JP)

The Reviews

Hardcore gamer
Regardless, if you can get past the inherent creepiness that permeates Monster Monpiece on a number of levels, then there’s no denying that this is an intelligent, fulfilling card game. 3/5

Gamestyle
Monster Monpiece will be a divisive game, you may well get plenty of odd looks if you played it in public. Yet the core game mechanics just about win out over the shame factor. 7/10

The DLC

Did some searching and it seems like the cards you can get from "Pack 1" are available in the post-game normally. That leads me to believe the subsequent packs might be entirely new cards. The + packs contain the same type of card as the non + packs, but they come already upgraded. Similarly for the ++ packs.

This is what I remember from playing the game last year:

You can obtain seal stones in normal gameplay but they are somewhat rare, you can also earn them from online battles. They're probably not worth buying because you still need enough points to upgrade cards, and the game isn't so hard that you need a bunch of top level cards.

Don't buy the rub points, you earn plenty through normal gameplay.

The in-battle items (like the one that says it moves your units forward 1 square) are just a money grab, the game is not difficult.

There are some interesting items like the one that lets you upgrade a card without having to do the rubbing minigame, but at 50 cents a pop, it's not worth it. Unless you really hate the rubbing minigame. Even then, you'd need a lot of those items over the course of the game.

SyaraSystem

Neo Member
Despite Monmon getting some love, I'm only giving Moero Chronicle a 3% chance of making it.
It's just on a whole other level.
BKZjCXZ.gif

scy

When the time is right, Extreme Love can be achieved causing a Monster Girl's tension to rise even faster. This mode requires a wholly different hand technique from before, only achievable thanks to the innovative front and back screen tech of the Playstation Vita.

So this is our shake weight, eh.

Gaming has come far.

Tapejara

Awesome OT. Been hoping this would be localized for a while; I've always found Compile Heart's "fanservice" hilarious. Is the trophy list out yet?

Not buying this because I can't stand CH games, but their taking a weed whacker to the card images (even ones that weren't controversial to begin with) rubs me the wrong way (no pun intended)

Tenki

I'be been playing the game for some days and I found the gameplay quite nice. It's simple but effective.

It's a game I wouldn't play anywhere :lol I'm not sure I'd be happy if someone watches me giving my Vita a handjob while the girls are moaning of pleasure.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'be been playing the game for some days and I found the gameplay quite nice. It's simple but effective.

It's a game I wouldn't play anywhere :lol I'm not sure I'd be happy if someone watches me giving my Vita a handjob while the girls are moaning of pleasure.

What a strange life, I'm not sure I was prepared for someone to actually state that.
:lol

Tapejara

I think this is the kind of game you play while wearing headphones, lol.

Daouzin

This will be a guilty pleasure as I love Tactical RPGs and Card Games. Just hoping the 'rubbing' mechanic doesn't have to be done that often.

fek

I really like card based games. I also happen to find fan service disgusting. Should I buy this game?
In the main story itself there's not much fanservice out of 2 optional events. It's mostly the rubbing minigame, really. If you don't mind that then go for it.

Kaljinyu

I'm new around here, forgive me, but would I be out of line to say that there are more than a few Vita games out there that toe the line of otome eroge, yet manage to make it stateside somehow?

-Horizon-

Shhh, no shame. Only rubbing now.

iM49gyrmQsTz.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm new around here, forgive me, but would I be out of line to say that there are more than a few Vita games out there that toe the line of otome eroge, yet manage to make it stateside somehow?
Its an opinion that did not insult anyone or a people group directly. Soo while im sure *someone* out there may get ticked off at you, I think you'll be fine?
Welcome to GAF!

But yeah, that's the only real advice I can give. Oh, and if you don't like someone's viewpoint and you feel the need to argue against it, do NOT insult them. Argue against their stance, not them.

Vylash

Nope, a lot of publishers are open to bringing niche games like that over now, plus they obviously sell well enough to keep them coming, we live in weird and good times

Is there a set time when the PS store updates?
Nope, if you're not a huge AAA game you'll have to wait until the update which is literally whenever Sony feels like it, it's pretty absurd

Ken

Idk just reading the OP about trading rings for rare cards from MP made me wonder

All the site says was that you can get rare card packs out of it. It's probably just packs with a higher chance of rare cards since you can buy normal packs with gold from winnings in single player. Maybe someone with the game can chime in.

I feel happy like shaq and the cat in this gif.
giphy.gif

Although I have to wait for the end of the month to buy this, my money was drained due to school stuffs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Cyan and I are so hyped for this. He told me he was actually buying a PS Vita to play this game. He said he thought it had the greatest art for any game developed in the 21st century. I don't know if I'd go that far. But he kept rattling off titles...KimokawaE, Love Plus, and many more.

I was like, "Cyan, that's a bit much," and he was like, "Dose girls doe" and then DAT THIRST doe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom