• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Complistic said:
Lol Ashley haters.

Ashley > all

edit: people are going to bash her face, really? Have you forgotten what miranda looked like?
http://gamelanguage.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/miranda-lawson.jpg

Miranda goes from hot to hideous sometimes in the same scenes based on changing lighting conditions. Bioware did a terrible job modelling Yvonne:

2qanz3t.jpg

I'm hoping that circa ME3, they've fixed her in-game representation up a bit. Miranda is for my main Shepard anyway.

RedSwirl

I got some pics of Garrus' armor in ME3. Posted yet? Postable (they don't look like scans)?

Same basic shape as his ME2 armor but the colors are much stronger.

RedSwirl

Seeing a lot of blue in these new screenshots.

EDIT: Oh, I think they are probably scans from the PSM3 article. Won't post then.

EDIT 2: The Garrus shots have GI watermarks but don't look like scans.

Gvaz

Banned
HK-47 said:
oh insane ME gaf
Lol you think this is insane, this is the reaction on every forum
Ickman3400 said:
You guys can't see it, but i'm shaking my head at that image. The first dudebro rpg developers :(
"we're midway through development in this shot"

*shows a halfdone corridor with an basic model and a even rougher sketch of a head that was supposed to be a main character*

Do they sleep on the damn job or something?

Also they mentioned essentially having to keep telling their employees to stop farting around all the time.

Jesus

Nirolak said:
It depends who releases first.

http://www.abload.de/img/skyrim-wallpaper5ovk.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

That's just an image though [spoiler] and a pretty cool looking one admittedly [/spoiler]

The actual game shouldn't be very dudebro. At least it probably won't have anything like Jack in it.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
-Jack: Had a character redesign. Was a popular romance option.
Not proud of it but yeah, my Shepherd got involved with her.

Not a fan of any of the ME romances (Dragon Age is a different story), they all kind of suck so I went with the crazy chick for amusement.

Mordin better cure the damn Genophage after all the time I invested into guilt tripping him about it.

My allegiance lies with Wrex above all else.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kai3345 said:
so is a hardcore RPG supposed to have fairies and butterflies or something?
I never said dudebro art was bad. I was just disagreeing with his notion.

Here's a random non-dudebro piece of historical Norse art:

1123187_norse-mythologn7mp.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dr. Chaos said:
Not proud of it but yeah, my Shepherd got involved with her.

Not a fan of any of the ME romances (Dragon Age is a different story), they all kind of suck so I went with the crazy chick for amusement.

Mordin better cure the damn Genophage after all the time I invested into guilt tripping him about it.

My allegiance lies with Wrex above all else.

Worst idea ever.

Gvaz said:
Lol you think this is insane, this is the reaction on every forum

"we're midway through development in this shot"

*shows a halfdone corridor with an basic model and a even rougher sketch of a head that was supposed to be a main character*

Do they sleep on the damn job or something?

Also they mentioned essentially having to keep telling their employees to stop farting around all the time.

Jesus
This is what game development is. It's isn't some magical process of pure creativity and perfection, well unless its Valve. Or are those supposed to be the comments of posters on other forums?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gvaz said:
It should be more like movies where most of the development is done halfway through
Most of the development is done halfway through on games, but that's usually only the case on sequels.

For example, base don BioWare comments ME3 seems to have been content complete since that trailer at the Spike VGAs, with them just polishing from then to release.

When you have a new IP though, you usually have far less set in stone which is why they both take far longer to develop and tend to be content complete a lot later.

Heh, something plot-related from the first game just caught my eye. When Tali explained about the geth, she stated each geth had an individual identity, and couldn't share sensory information. Yet Legion in ME2 states "there is no I, only we. We are all geth."

Is that supposed to showcase the geth's evolution or something, because it seems like a retcon to me. :lol

Mr_Brit

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Heh, something plot-related from the first game just caught my eye. When Tali explained about the geth, she stated each geth had an individual identity, and couldn't share sensory information. Yet Legion in ME2 states "there is no I, only we. We are all geth."

Is that supposed to showcase the geth's evolution or something, because it seems like a retcon to me. :lol
By sensory information I'm assuming sight and there is no reason to believe that quote suggests that Geth can see what other Geth can see merely that they can share information with each other.

Blue Ninja said:

It's all addressed. Tali and the quarians think of "a geth" as being a single robot body, but Legion explains that the geth as a whole are lots of different AI routines and each robot body is driven by a selection of such routines. The individual robot bodies don't share senses and so one geth body can't see what another one is seeing, but each body isn't "a geth," it's a mutable set of AI routines that reconnect back into the broader geth "hive mind" when they download back into the AI cores.

Gvaz

Banned
Legion is also a mobile platform that doesn't really get updated or w/e just kinds of talks to the homeworld sometimes.

I think he was described as "unique" in the sense of his personality.

Darklord

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Miranda goes from hot to hideous sometimes in the same scenes based on changing lighting conditions. Bioware did a terrible job modelling Yvonne:

2qanz3t.jpg

I'm hoping that circa ME3, they've fixed her in-game representation up a bit. Miranda is for my main Shepard anyway.

They fucked up her jaw so badly. How can you make something already smoking hot, less hot when you have tools that change whatever you want? It makes no sense!

Darklord

Banned
Edit: Oops, that was meant to be an edit! My bad.

MrTroubleMaker said:
So it seems like what's the point for ME2 :s

Person: Man, ME1 had some cool characters.

Bioware: Damn right!

Person: So we'll be using them in ME2?

Bioware: Umm, not really, you've all split up.

Person: Oh...

Bioware: But it's ok! Because we're making the BEST team ever of the best characters we can muster! In fact this team is so important the entire game is dedicated to it, the core story is barely present!

Person: Wow! Really? So THAT team we'll be using for later games, I get it now. Yeah, build the team, use them in ME3 for the core story.

Bioware: Well, no, that team broke up too.

Person: Then WTF was Mass Effect 2 about?

Bioware: Umm...well...you're banned from the forums and our games.

Darklord

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Not especially.

Wrex, Liara, Garrus(well more in ME2), Tali(again, more in ME2) were good characters. They seemed perfect to build from. And the ones they kept, it worked well.

Gvaz said:
Legion is also a mobile platform that doesn't really get updated or w/e just kinds of talks to the homeworld sometimes.

I think he was described as "unique" in the sense of his personality.
Actually legion does connect to the geth hive mind during the course of mass effect 2.

The unique thing about legion is that the body is capable of holding enough of the geth for it to be intelligent. Standard geth bodies are just things carry guns and shoot other things and aren't capable of higher intelligence.

Edit: Also its impossible for geth to have a unique personality for a significant period of time. They are one, a whole. That personality develops and exists for the short period of time that the platform is out of contact with the collective.

Darklord said:
Edit: Oops, that was meant to be an edit! My bad.

Person: Man, ME1 had some cool characters.

Bioware: Damn right!

Person: So we'll be using them in ME2?

Bioware: Umm, not really, you've all split up.

Person: Oh...

Bioware: But it's ok! Because we're making the BEST team ever of the best characters we can muster! In fact this team is so important the entire game is dedicated to it, the core story is barely present!

Person: Wow! Really? So THAT team we'll be using for later games, I get it now. Yeah, build the team, use them in ME3 for the core story.

Bioware: Well, no, that team broke up too.

Person: Then WTF was Mass Effect 2 about?

Bioware: Umm...well...you're banned from the forums and our games.

pretty much

Darklord said:
Wrex, and Ashley were good characters. They seemed perfect to build from. And the ones they kept, it worked well.

Oh look, only a third of the cast.

Agreed that Garrus and Tali were much better in ME2, but that doesn't suddenly make them good in ME1.

AColdDay

Fimbulvetr said:
Oh look, only a third of the cast.

Agreed that Garrus and Tali were much better in ME2, but that doesn't suddenly make them good in ME1.

Personally I loved Tali, (along with Ashley and Wrex) a lot in ME1. Tali was this Russian sounding brickhouse who was an outcast to most of the non-Quarian universe and spoke at length about the nerdy things about the Normandy that fascinated her. Ashley was an abrasive character, but she wasn't annoyingly abrasive and having a religious belief in the far flung future made her utterly unique in the Sci-Fi fiction I know. Wrex was just awesome, and everyone loved him. Garrus and Liara were fine but forgetable, with no significant personality traits to really make them memorable. Kaiden was Carth, so everyone is going to irrationally hate him regardless, and there wasn't enough substance to the character to overcome that handicap.

In ME2, Tali is God-Tier, and Garrus became an awesome character. Liara's change was too jarring to be good for her, but I haven't played LotSB to really feel out her new characterization. Ashley didn't get enough time in the game to really know where exactly she was coming from.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Darklord said:
They fucked up her jaw so badly. How can you make something already smoking hot, less hot when you have tools that change whatever you want? It makes no sense!
It still doesn't make sense considering the Asari's faces are really well done and they fuck up the human females so much.

Plywood said:
It still doesn't make sense considering the Asari's faces are really well done and they fuck up the human females so much.

Because their human skin shader is not very good.

The rendering of the UE3 is really good for everything shiny. Look how good most alien race looks (skin shaders of Mordin, Garrus, even perfect skin as the Asari) while the imitation of humain grain skin looks like shit. Hell, in Mass Effect, humans are the worst looking characters.

Gvaz

Banned
UnluckyKate said:

The rendering of the UE3 is really good for everything shiny. Look how good most alien race looks (skin shaders of Mordin, Garrus, even perfect skin as the Asari) while the imitation of humain grain skin looks like shit. Hell, in Mass Effect, humans are the worst looking characters.
Zaeed. Game Set Match.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
UnluckyKate said:

I was speaking more so of the face structure.

Darklord said:

Ya and gave her a massive forehead for some unknown reason.

CrazyDude said:
If that is how they look, I am going to be disappointed. That looks exactly like a human.

Well, you can see an outline and some facial features though the mask in game, and it looks human, sooooo...

Honestly, I'm less and less impressed with every detail released regarding the characters and story. Mass Effect 1 had a good core story and bland party characters (with a few exceptions), Mass Effect 2 had a poor core story but really good characters (with a few exceptions), and Mass Effect 3, from the details we've got, seems to be combining the worst aspects of the two.

Plus, the awful, awful extra material. Say what you will about the Halo games, but the books are at least passable. I'd even call Fall of Reach good, as far light, rather mindless sci-fi goes.

Top Bottom