• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Door2Dawn

Banned
Kitschkraft said:
He was too busy with calibrations.
tumblr_l9fymg4REG1qdjnebo1_500.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Lakitu said:
I've read a few summaries of the Evolution comic series.... what? Is it as bad as it sounds?

They're okay at best. My biggest complaint is that as a whole they're pretty uneventful. The things Wiggum posted didn't bother me that much.

We already know that Saren got enhanced by Sovereign, that he hates humans because his brother was killed in the First Contact War

The comic elaborates on that and explains Saren's obsession and drive to find Reaper tech by showing his exposure to the artifact. They didn't need to elaborate on this, but sure I can see why they would.

Now a reaper artifact is suddenly involved in the First Contact War and the whole conflict is revolving around it.

Didn't seem like the whole conflict revolved around it, but rather that this one general tried to exploit it. The humans just stumbled on it during the fighting.

Humans and turians now understand each other even though this is the first time we've come in contact.

Also see: virtually every first contact scif-fi story.

Then, TIM gets knocked unconscious and wakes up and is told about the end of the conflict because of the Citadel intervention, and somehow immediately has knowledge of Illium, the Terminus Systems, etc.

Fair...I think? didn't pay much attention to that detail and I don't know how plausible it is that the Reaper artifact gave him this knowledge through flashes or this was something he "always knew" but shouldn't have canon and timeline-wise.

Oh and turians are now amoral space nazis willing to turn their own kind into husks to create an unstoppable army. And it's all written by ME3's lead writer, woohoo!

Don't see how this tarnishes turians as a whole, rather than one batshit insane general who may have acted this way through some light indoctrination. Guy was never shown to be directly exposed, but he sure was in close proximity to the damn thing lots of times. Saren clearly objects to the whole thing and in the end puts a stop to it despite having to betray his brother and a superior-ranking officer.

HadesGigas said:
Shepard is actually made of reaper tech and he doesn't know it yet!!
It actually wouldn't surprise me. Somehow Shepard (through the power of his MIND!) is able to overcome indoctrination and he leads the next evolution of humanity. You know, because of our flexible genes.

Walshicus

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Yes, exposure to vacuum even with an air mask will not only be unpleasant but quite deadly. Unconsciousness in under a minute, death in under five.
Five-second-explanation: Mass effect shielding is used to create a low-pressure shell around each squad member. Masks are used to provide oxygen.

HadesGigas said:

Shep: "But we destroyed the Human Reaper."

TIM: "No, Shepard. You ARE the Human Reaper!"

*and then Shepard turned into a cuttlefish*

Read all the information in the OP. Glad to see Ashley and Liara will be in the squad.

From it looks like, space battles sound like a real possibility. I hope it happens.

I liked everything I read.

Kinyou

DirtRiver said:
What? Are you telling me The Illusive Man has been indoctrinated and that's why he is a bad guy?

Fuck, why can't we have a bad guy that is a bad guy simply because he is a bad guy. Takes away the vibe I got from that character.
+ they've used the:
"Oh no, we know how to handle reaper tech" *get indoctrinated anyway*

Waaay too much by now

Jarmel

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
My bad, maybe I misread the details on the Bioware forums, they do seem to be saying now that he definitely got his glowy eyes from the artifact. And it seemed pretty easy to believe given all the other weird shit they've been doing with the fiction in Evlolution . We already know that Saren got enhanced by Sovereign, that he hates humans because his brother was killed in the First Contact War. Now a reaper artifact is suddenly involved in the First Contact War and the whole conflict is revolving around it. Humans and turians now understand each other even though this is the first time we've come in contact. Then, TIM gets knocked unconscious and wakes up and is told about the end of the conflict because of the Citadel intervention, and somehow immediately has knowledge of Illium, the Terminus Systems, etc. Oh and turians are now amoral space nazis willing to turn their own kind into husks to create an unstoppable army. And it's all written by ME3's lead writer, woohoo!

Good god please tell me that's not true. God damn that sounds atrocious.

Arjen

Damn, missed a chunk of info.
Kai Leng being in the game sounds good, when i read the books i already thought he would make a great bad-guy for the game.

Clott

Garrus finally got his armor and face repaired, Sheppard finally told him about the billion dollar medic bay just down the hall.

Edit: any info on Kai Leng? I have never read the books.

Fimbulvetr said:

Counciller Velarn waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were reapers on the Citadel. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Captern Baylee were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Velarn was a Turian Councillor for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the Destiny Ascencion and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY REAPORS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he dismissed them. But now in the space station base of the citadel he knew there were Reapers.
"This is Bayley" the radio crackered. "You must fight the Reapers!"
So Velarn gotted his assault rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the husks
"I will shoot at him" said the harbinger and he fired the rocket missiles. Velarn assolted at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted
The radio said "No, Counciler. You are the Reapers"
And then the councilor was a reaper.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Counciller Velarn waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were reapers on the Citadel. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Captern Baylee were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Velarn was a Turian Councillor for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the Destiny Ascencion and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY REAPORS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he dismissed them. But now in the space station base of the citadel he knew there were Reapers.
"This is Bayley" the radio crackered. "You must fight the Reapers!"
So Velarn gotted his assault rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the husks
"I will shoot at him" said the harbinger and he fired the rocket missiles. Velarn assolted at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted
The radio said "No, Counciler. You are the Reapers"
And then the councilor was a reaper.
Annnndddd CUT! It's a wrap people! Print it!

Gvaz

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Yes, exposure to vacuum even with an air mask will not only be unpleasant but quite deadly. Unconsciousness in under a minute, death in under five.
Not really, you can be outside in a vaccum with just a face mask as long as you have air (in the case of being in a vaccumm without air, you will however want to exhale or your lungs will burst) however those will not protect against extreme cold or heat, or weather that might be dangerous to humans or even aliens.

What they're doing is giving them a "helmet" so you can still see the character's face instead of everyone being hidden by a mask like the first game. However each person has a much different design so I don't see why this is an issue.

That being said, I don't know why they HAVE to have a single skeleton for animations and models. Aliens or humans, not everyone is going to have the same proportions or anything like that. Sure, it cuts down on animation times but I can't see it being THAT much for two or even three.

Gvaz said:
Not really, you can be outside in a vaccum with just a face mask as long as you have air (in the case of being in a vaccumm without air, you will however want to exhale or your lungs will burst) however those will not protect against extreme cold or heat, or weather that might be dangerous to humans or even aliens.

When you go from a high pressure to a low pressure environment, even while connected to an oxygen supply, you will suffer from "the bends". This happens to divers coming up to the surface too rapidly. Going from room temperature to vacuum is 100x worse than this, because not only is the pressure rapidly changing, the pressure is far below the normal pressure the human body is built for.

This is why Astronauts need pressurized suits, not just air supplies.

Gvaz

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
When you go from a high pressure to a low pressure environment, even while connected to an oxygen supply, you will suffer from "the bends". This happens to divers coming up to the surface too rapidly. Going from room temperature to vacuum is 100x worse than this, because not only is the pressure rapidly changing, the pressure is far below the normal pressure the human body is built for.

Yes I know about that, I was going with the fact that you had to be "depressurized" in where it changes the pressure to whatever is outside the ship. As for the length of time, I don't know how long but I was figuring how long it'd take.

The point here is my suspension of disbelief isn't completely broken by the suits in ME2 for your companions, but I understand it isn't accurate.

Arjen

Clott said:
Garrus finally got his armor and face repaired, Sheppard finally told him about the billion dollar medic bay just down the hall.

Edit: any info on Kai Leng? I have never read the books.

Basicly a former Alliance now working for Cerberus super bad ass

DirtRiver

ThoseDeafMutes said:

Maybe they use bionics?

MikeTyson

Banned
Awesome! So Jack is returning! Hope they make her skin tone/overall look to that of the CGI ME2 trailers which were sickkk.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
HadesGigas said:

Given how much mystery surrounds Cereberus, the Illusive Man, and their motivations, something like shouldn't surprise anyone. It's actually crossed into the obvious territory for quite some time now.

Clott

MikeTyson said:
Awesome! So Jack is returning! Hope they make her skin tone/overall look to that of the CGI ME2 trailers which were sickkk.

I can understand people batting an eye at Jack in a secondary play through, but do people really have her as their main love interest? Talking to her was like being back in high school, like "okay okay I get it linkin park is a cool new band, but let's grow up now."

Mr_Zombie

Clott said:
I can understand people batting an eye at Jack in a secondary play through, but do people really have her as their main love interest? Talking to her was like being back in high school, like "okay okay I get it linkin park is a cool new band, but let's grow up now."
TBH, she was much more interesting character than miss Miranda "I'm perfect yet I'm wrong on several occasions and my face is ugly" Lawson, especially if you tried the paragon route with her.

Walshicus

Mr_Zombie said:
TBH, she was much more interesting character than miss Miranda "I'm perfect yet I'm wrong on several occasions and my face is ugly" Lawson, especially if you tried the paragon route with her.
Not really. The "I'm a bitch rawr rawr rawr" emo bullshit got old in seconds. I was half tempted to not do her loyalty quest just so she'd die.

DirtRiver said:
Maybe they use bionics?
Mass Effect fields solve everything.

Clott said:
I never liked Jack period. All rage, all the time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wiggum2007 said:
My bad, maybe I misread the details on the Bioware forums, they do seem to be saying now that he definitely got his glowy eyes from the artifact. And it seemed pretty easy to believe given all the other weird shit they've been doing with the fiction in Evlolution . We already know that Saren got enhanced by Sovereign, that he hates humans because his brother was killed in the First Contact War. Now a reaper artifact is suddenly involved in the First Contact War and the whole conflict is revolving around it. Humans and turians now understand each other even though this is the first time we've come in contact. Then, TIM gets knocked unconscious and wakes up and is told about the end of the conflict because of the Citadel intervention, and somehow immediately has knowledge of Illium, the Terminus Systems, etc. Oh and turians are now amoral space nazis willing to turn their own kind into husks to create an unstoppable army. And it's all written by ME3's lead writer, woohoo!

lol Walters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sir Fragula said:
Five-second-explanation: Mass effect shielding is used to create a low-pressure shell around each squad member. Masks are used to provide oxygen.

Mass Effect fields dont protect against extremes of temperature or radiation.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mhznet said:
I really want
Morinth in this game and I want her to act as herself

Who else is with me?

Anyone who kept Morinth alive should die. Just halfway through mass effect 3 you fucking die. Cause you keep a sociopathic super biotic who has been killing for 400 years alive.

mhznet

HK-47 said:
Anyone who kept Morinth alive should die. Just halfway through mass effect 3 you fucking die. Cause you keep a sociopathic super biotic who has been killing for 400 years alive.

I guess most of the people who kept her alive (me included) already died once after romancing her in ME2 :lol

Though I am sure Shep can keep her under control in ME3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mhznet said:
I guess most of the people who kept her alive (me included) already died once after romancing her in ME2 :lol

Though I am sure Shep can keep her under control in ME3.

Maybe he could if he cryo froze her and kept her in a supermax wing in space...aww fuck.

mhznet

HK-47 said:
Maybe he could if he cryo froze her and kept her in a supermax wing in space...aww fuck.

Well, if there's a chance that someone is going to die by her hands she's probably going to warn that someone a lot and beforehand, just like she used to do in ME2.

It's not really murder if you tell the person first right? Right??

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Subitai said:
Gah Morinth.

I was at least hoping if you were maxed renegade you could resist her, but no.

Why would you? Being badass doesnt somehow give you resistance to having your nervous system fried.

Or are you talking about recruiting her?

Ashodin

ahhh fuck I am totally switching from Vanguard to Heavy Melee class.

Melee is something i've been wanting in ME for a looooooong time. My brain is going to explode.

Wiggum2007

Maxrpg said:
ahhh fuck I am totally switching from Vanguard to Heavy Melee class.

Melee is something i've been wanting in ME for a looooooong time. My brain is going to explode.

Heavy Melee class doesn't exist, that was just a translation error of the article. Same classes as before, but they're supposedly improving the regular melee attack and in addition each class now has its own unique heavy melee attack.

Nils said:
They're okay at best. My biggest complaint is that as a whole they're pretty uneventful. The things Wiggum posted didn't bother me that much.
*snip*

Thanks for the reply and clarifications. I still don't like what I've heard about the comic at all, and it's very worrying that the story was written by Mac Walters, but here's to hoping it won't be of any major significance in ME3 (though I have a bad feeling that TIM's reaper tech exposure will).

HK-47 said:
Why would you? Being badass doesnt somehow give you resistance to having your nervous system fried.

Or are you talking about recruiting her?

But she said I could resist her because of how awesome I was! :(

Fimbulvetr said:
But she said I could resist her because of how awesome I was! :(
Why wouldn't you trust pathological serial killer that manipulates and lies to her victims? Especially when she tells you that she would never lie to you and how awesome you are.

Vamphuntr

Jack is back? Space bigot and Borinko are now Spectre? Illusive man indoctrinated? I'm not pleased by these new developments.

Seems they lowered the criteria for becoming a spectre. Plot dangerously approaching fan fiction level.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ugh, the Illusive Man being under reaper control is really bad, please don't let that factor into the game :(

that's like robbing the coolest character of ME2 of his awesomeness.

Lostconfused said:
Why wouldn't you trust pathological serial killer that manipulates and lies to her victims? Especially when she tells you that she would never lie to you and how awesome you are.

I thought she love me!!!

chandoog said:
Ugh, the Illusive Man being under reaper control is really bad, please don't let that factor into the game :(

that's like robbing the coolest character of ME2 of his awesomeness.

He's totally indoctrinated or is suffering the first symptoms of indoctrination?....

FStop7

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

I am sure I read somewhere that it was originally written or at least discussed by the Bioware writers that the Lazarus Project ended up infusing some Reaper technology into Shepard because Cerberus couldn't reliably reconstruct him any other way.

McNum

Hmm, there's one thing about Mass Effect that hit me after playing through ME1 and 2. An interesting omission of information, really. This is all rampant speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if this could be ME3's endgame. Spoilered on the off chance I guessed right.

Consider this:
The Mass Relays work by sending you from one relay to the other. Some can target more relays, but all jumps begin and end with a Mass Relay. Most Relays have a twin and can only be used to travel between these two locations.

The Citadel is revealed in Mass Effect 1 to be a gigantic Mass Relay to summon in all the Reapers from somewhere outside the galaxy. Does that mean that the Citadel has a twin in Dark Space? Exactly what would the Reapers have used as their jump in point?

I'm half expecting that the answer to that is the endgame of ME3. It'd be a perfect symmetry in the story. In ME1 you stopped Saren from using the Citadel Relay. In ME2 you learned how to use a Reaper Only relay and attacked the enemy base. In ME3 you... use the Reaper Only Citadel Relay to take the fight to whatever huge thing the Reapers have out there.

It's just odd that this hasn't been brought up at all in the games. Sure, the Citadel Relay is locked tight with a "Here be dragons!" sign on it, and I'm not sure if anyone even knows how to open it if they'd want to, but there has to be a receiver of some kind out there. Plus, sending a combined fleet of every race in the galaxy out to fight the Reapers in their own home using the very plan that the Reapers themselves were going for in ME1 just sounds awesome.

I probably missed something, but it IS an interesting omission in the previous two games, isn't it?

Relaxed Muscle said:
He's totally indoctrinated or is suffering the first symptoms of indoctrination?....
He is at least partly effect by indoctrination during the first contact war. That's when he gets those robot eyes and what not.

Edit: Oh I guess the new game informer thing is up? http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/22/mass-effect-the-origin-of-species.aspx if it wasn't linked before.

Its about "designing" and "creating" the alien races. Nothing really new or interesting probably. And talks a bit about Grunt/Mordin visual designs.

Top Bottom