• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Lakitu

st5fu
That interview was great. I'm glad they strive to at least listen to fan feedback. There was a mammoth thread just for that on the Bioware Social. There will be more customization, more depth, and more things you can buy from the stores. Good!

And yeah, that Fornax stuff made me laugh. I don't think I'll be checking that out.

It's all lip service.

I remember in one of the old threads before ME2 came out there was concern about it's direction, and one of the Dr.s posted not to worry, that it was as much an RPG as the first game.

Confidence Man said:
It's all lip service.

I remember in one of the old threads before ME2 came out there was concern about it's direction, and one of the Dr.s posted not to worry, that it was as much an RPG as the first game.

Yup I remember that too. I also remember some lies or "half truths" they told before ME1's release. It seems like Bioware wants Molyneux's BS crown.

THRILLH0

Banned
That whiny, racist bitch Ashley is a Spectre? What the fuck?

After all the pomp and circumstance about Shepard becoming the first human Spectre they go and tarnish the whole thing with THIS?

I haven't finished ME2 so I don't know if this makes me sound like and idiot or not

Lakitu

st5fu
Confidence Man said:
It's all lip service.

That's because the doctors are walking PR machines. No offence to them, but they never really reveal any tangible information in their interviews just PR talk and keywords.

Casey Hudson (and the rest of the team) in ME 2's case were true to their words. They said the game would be more action-orientated for instance and that they would streamline the RPG features.

Anyway, I've added a summary of Level's ME 3 article on the frontpage.

samdavis

Neo Member
That Casey Hudson guys demeanor and manner of speaking might make it easier for some to take him at his word (and he's obviously a smart dude) but the whole ME isn't taking queues from Star Wars, a trilogy like this couldn't be done again, relationships spanning multiple games are ridiculously hard to do...that shit's all hype and PR BS. It was really that difficult to continue the Wrex relationship from ME1 to ME2? All you did was put him on another planet that had it's own set of missions and gave him some lines that referenced events from ME1.

I'd imagine that personalities and relationships can get much more complex (see L.A. Noire) if someone were so inclined.

Sounds like a cool dude, and on the more technical aspects I've no doubt that he knows precisely what he's talking about, but I wasn't really buying anything that he was selling in the aforementioned soundbytes.

AShep said:

After all the pomp and circumstance about Shepard becoming the first human Spectre they go and tarnish the whole thing with THIS?

I haven't finished ME2 so I don't know if this makes me sound like and idiot or not

Okay so this is a rant, but it's been on my mind since I read the announcement :

To be fair, we don't know much about what other alliance soldiers are up to, what their abilities are, etc. It makes sense that the Alliance would be pushing for another human spectre, and from what we have seen, Ashley would have to be near the top of the list.

She was the only soldier to survive the attack on Eden Prime. She was an important part of the Shepard crew that stopped the reaper (Or, Geth Dreadnought according to the incompetent council). She knows Anderson and Udina. She's been to meetings with the council and therefore they know of her. She has an understanding of council dealings. She was given the important assignment on Horizon. Beat the kobayashi maru. Etc.

Also, from what we've seen thus far, most of the Spectres seem to be assholes, cynics, tough bastards...even Bioware seems to want Shepard to be a "renegade", so he fits into this as well. Ashley seems like the type of personality that the council would approve of. You might say "but Ashley hates the council", which is true, but they don't know that, and she wouldn't turn down a powerful position that could help humanity further it's influence in citadel space.

I understand why people dislike it, I hate it myself, but I can understand how she became a candidate.

My biggest gripe with it is that by giving her Spectre status, Bioware essentially drops one of her most interesting character themes : her inferiority/persecution complex in regards to her family name being tarnished.

I thought that one of her biggest "issues" was that she was always being looked over for promotions because of her name. Even Shepard comments on this during one of their convo's. She also has that conversation where she talks about feeling small in the universe, and questions what a foot soldier can really do in the age of space flight and all powerful sentient robots. Even her relationship with male Shep (If you choose that route) seems to at least partially be about her trying to validate herself.

Bioware had an opportunity to really give her a decent arc, and they've missed it here. She could have been given Spectre status as an end game cutscene, after her heroism made a difference in the reaper battle. Or maybe sacrificed herself to save people (Preferable aliens, once again, to show some character growth and close out her character arc). Tons of places they could have went with her, but they've taken the most predictable route.

Of course, most of this doesn't really apply to Kaiden, and I personally don't buy him as a soldier, let alone a spectre. Someone a few pages back talked about why he's such a shit character, saying that a realistic arc for him would be retirement, and since games can't really show that type of arc, it creates dissonance. I agree, but that's the risk of writing two separate characters who are meant to fill the same exact role.

tldr : 1) Ashley is one of the better human candidates in the universe that we've encountered. 2) Bioware sucks for fucking up her character arc.

CrazyDude

Kitschkraft said:
Okay so this is a rant, but it's been on my mind since I read the announcement :

To be fair, we don't know much about what other alliance soldiers are up to, what their abilities are, etc. It makes sense that the Alliance would be pushing for another human spectre, and from what we have seen, Ashley would have to be near the top of the list.

She was the only soldier to survive the attack on Eden Prime. She was an important part of the Shepard crew that stopped the reaper (Or, Geth Dreadnought according to the incompetent council). She knows Anderson and Udina. She's been to meetings with the council and therefore they know of her. She has an understanding of council dealings. She was given the important assignment on Horizon. Beat the kobayashi maru. Etc.

Also, from what we've seen thus far, most of the Spectres seem to be assholes, cynics, tough bastards...even Bioware seems to want Shepard to be a "renegade", so he fits into this as well. Ashley seems like the type of personality that the council would approve of. You might say "but Ashley hates the council", which is true, but they don't know that, and she wouldn't turn down a powerful position that could help humanity further it's influence in citadel space.

I understand why people dislike it, I hate it myself, but I can understand how she became a candidate.

My biggest gripe with it is that by giving her Spectre status, Bioware essentially drops one of her most interesting character themes : her inferiority/persecution complex in regards to her family name being tarnished.

I thought that one of her biggest "issues" was that she was always being looked over for promotions because of her name. Even Shepard comments on this during one of their convo's. She also has that conversation where she talks about feeling small in the universe, and questions what a foot soldier can really do in the age of space flight and all powerful sentient robots. Even her relationship with male Shep (If you choose that route) seems to at least partially be about her trying to validate herself.

Bioware had an opportunity to really give her a decent arc, and they've missed it here. She could have been given Spectre status as an end game cutscene, after her heroism made a difference in the reaper battle. Or maybe sacrificed herself to save people (Preferable aliens, once again, to show some character growth and close out her character arc). Tons of places they could have went with her, but they've taken the most predictable route.

Of course, most of this doesn't really apply to Kaiden, and I personally don't buy him as a soldier, let alone a spectre. Someone a few pages back talked about why he's such a shit character, saying that a realistic arc for him would be retirement, and since games can't really show that type of arc, it creates dissonance. I agree, but that's the risk of writing two separate characters who are meant to fill the same exact role.

tldr : 1) Ashley is one of the better human candidates in the universe that we've encountered. 2) Bioware sucks for fucking up her character arc.
Ashley is not the only survivor of Eden Prime. Jacob survived just fine.

CrazyDude said:

You're right, she was the only one to survive in her squad/unit, my mistake. Still, the point was that she has some credentials that probably warrant her for consideration.

CrazyDude

Kitschkraft said:
You're right, she was the only one to survive in her squad/unit, my mistake. Still, the point was that she has some credentials that probably warrant her for consideration.
Not disagreeing, just pointing it out.

CrazyDude said:
He also quit the Alliance and joined Cerberus. Which kind of negates any reasons some one might have had to suggest him for becoming a specter.

Kitschkraft said:
Which is pretty much the whole problem. If they developed and showed this story arc it might have been acceptable. But nope apparently specter status came as a bonus along with her boob job that she got some time during the six months that pass between games 2 and 3.

Jarmel

Banned
Here's a thought, Shepard gets his SPECTRE status yanked and the Alliance pushes for another human candidate as a replacement ending with Ashley.

FoeHammer

Jarmel said:
Here's a thought, Shepard gets his SPECTRE status yanked and the Alliance pushes for another human candidate as a replacement ending with Ashley.

I'm not sure how it played out for others, but I recall regaining my Spectre status in ME2 (although it meant jack shit).

I understand Ashley or Kaiden becoming Spectres. They were both good soldiers who served under the first human spectre, just as Shepherd did under Anderson (even though he never made Spectre). It makes even more sense if you decided not to save the Council in ME1 which would have made humans even more desirable as candidates for the program. Who better to make Spectres than the human companions of the first human Spectre? I don't really understand the backlash on this one.

samdavis

Neo Member
FoeHammer said:
I'm not sure how it played out for others, but I recall regaining my Spectre status in ME2 (although it meant jack shit).

I forget, what did you have to do to make sure that you regain it? I'm pretty sure that I did (don't know how I'd find out now that I've finished the game unless they send you an email) but I don't remember the cutscene that accompanied it (if there was one).

samdavis said:
I forget, what did you have to do to make sure that you regain it? I'm pretty sure that I did (don't know how I'd find out now that I've finished the game unless they send you an email) but I don't remember the cutscene that accompanied it (if there was one).

It is about the decision you made about the Council in Mass Effect or in Mass Effect Genesis (on PS3).
If the Council is saved

From Mass Effect Wikia: Though the Council cannot take any official action, they offer to restore full Spectre privileges to Shepard on the condition that the Commander restricts operations to the Terminus Systems. Shepard can accept or refuse the offer.

If the original Council died, the new Council will refuse to meet with Shepard. If Anderson is Councilor, the Commander can still be granted Spectre status, but this is played down as being a mostly symbolic gesture. If Udina is Councilor, then Shepard will not be granted Spectre status.

Jarmel

Banned
valentine71 said:
It is about the decision you made about the Council in Mass Effect or in Mass Effect Genesis (on PS3).
If the Council is saved

From Mass Effect Wikia: Though the Council cannot take any official action, they offer to restore full Spectre privileges to Shepard on the condition that the Commander restricts operations to the Terminus Systems. Shepard can accept or refuse the offer.

If the original Council died, the new Council will refuse to meet with Shepard. If Anderson is Councilor, the Commander can still be granted Spectre status, but this is played down as being a mostly symbolic gesture. If Udina is Councilor, then Shepard will not be granted Spectre status.

Damn did not know that. I thought it was essentially guaranteed in all save files but apparently not. I can still see the Council revoking Shepard's SPECTRE status after the events in Arrival. They don't believe the Reapers exist and Shepard just killed thousands of people over it.

Do we know how they are handling planets?

I was not a fan of scanning. I'd rather have dead worlds like ME1 then have scanning.

Gvaz

Banned
Lunchbox said:
they should release a beta with dragonage2 expansion disc

space ship online multiplayer
perks
killstreaks
prestiging
No. Mass Effect needs to fix its own god damn problems before dragging in the MP crew

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tylahedras said:

I was not a fan of scanning. I'd rather have dead worlds like ME1 then have scanning.

Scanning didn't replace the uncharted worlds. N7 missions replaced those.

Scanning was something else entirely. A whole new mechanic that in turn sucked arse.

Tylahedras said:

No, only that scanning won't be back and something "exciting" will be in.

Which doesn't mean anything since they though planet scanning was cool and exciting.

edit: Oh nevermind I guess there is some scanning. Why take out something that everyone hates right?

Typographenia said:
Scanning is supposed to be making a return, but they said there will be changes.
If they just increase the amount speed and the size upgrades of the scanner reticle it wouldn't be as tedious.

anonnumber6 said:
If they just increase the amount speed and the size upgrades of the scanner reticle it wouldn't be as tedious.
Yeah, even with the additional upgrades you got from the crew it was still agonizingly slow.

My first playthrough I was trying to mine every planet that sat around moderate or higher. My second playthrough, I'm making note of the areas I either didn't scan, or I only partially scanned, in case I need more minerals later on. I'm attempting to save money and time. Curse my ocd-ness!

As I've thought, I don't mind if they keep the "shooter elements" in, hell I quite prefer them, but don't skimp on bringing back what made ME1 so unique and awesome. Let's hope they realize that.

Typographenia said:
Yeah, even with the additional upgrades you got from the crew it was still agonizingly slow.

My first playthrough I was trying to mine every planet that sat around moderate or higher. My second playthrough, I'm making note of the areas I either didn't scan, or I only partially scanned, in case I need more minerals later on. I'm attempting to save money and time. Curse my ocd-ness!
I had to scan the complete surface every planet until it was depleted just for the sake of completion. It probably added a couple of hours onto each playthrough, like most mini games it loses it's novelty the more times you play it.

Wiggum2007

Typographenia said:

They actually released a patch that doubled the size and speed of the scanner at one point; as bad as it is now it was even worse back around release.

Lakitu

st5fu
They should just have some really boring guy stationed on the Normandy and have him do the mining all the time for you.

markatisu

Wiggum2007 said:
They actually released a patch that doubled the size and speed of the scanner at one point; as bad as it is now it was even worse back around release.

There was one point early on in ME2 I actually fell asleep trying to scan, it was THAT bad and tedious

Wiggum2007 said:
Yeah, I have definitely noticed a change, but it still takes me way too long. I know I'm doing it to myself, but I can't help it!

They really should take scanning completely away or have some npc do it because even on PC where you can make it as quick as you want, it's still extremely boring and tedious.

I didn't mind scanning that much. But, I'm not the type to rush through my Mass Effect experience, I enjoy those relaxed inbetweens when you want to take a break from corridor shooting. Scanning on my second playthrough however... fuck that.

AShep said:

Why not? She is supposed to be one of the best operatives on the human side. It's not like Shepard saved the universe single-handedly either, if they're going to make Liara to be some sort of badass, and the fact that Shepard basically has been given by Bioware what is essentially human god/savior status even though it's completely unprofessional for Shepard as a commanding officer to bed one of his crew and as a combatant Shepard is till heavily reliant on his team and his combat proficient isn't so far beyond the other members on his team, then it should be even less of a crime for them to give Ashley the hero treatment.

It still feels very strange how over-glorified Bioware made Shepard out to be even compared to Master Chief who is basically a one-man army (which Shepard is definitely not) without being given the most advanced ship in the universe and some sort of all-star team of fighters, even Master Chief doesn't get this kind of treatment of constant savior worship.

If Bioware brings Shepard down to earth a bit more, it would make the series more gritty and grounded.

samdavis

Neo Member
valentine71 said:
If the Council is saved

So I definitely made the renegade decision on the Council (if I remember correctly it was either them or someone else), I remember that
something crashes into their chamber or something
. Then I
made Anderson the new Councilor and made that decision that gave humans a larger presence in the galaxy
, wonder what happened with that?

Van Buren

Ickman3400 said:
They really should take scanning completely away or have some npc do it because even on PC where you can make it as quick as you want, it's still extremely boring and tedious.

Once I had realized that scanning was meant to artificially increase the game length, I did what any self-respecting gamer ought to do - use a trainer/editor to just get the needed resources and get on with the game. In hindsight, my opinion of ME2 would be even lower if I had labored through all that tedious scanning.

Man, I don't get why Bioware keeps discussing story elements. Do people really want to hear everything that is going to happen in ME3? I mean, we've made it so far (ME1, ME2) we can hold off and experience the story for ourselves.

Darknessbear said:
Man, I don't get why Bioware keeps discussing story elements. Do people really want to hear everything that is going to happen in ME3? I mean, we've made it so far (ME1, ME2) we can hold off and experience the story for ourselves.

I'd guess they want to make it clear it has a strong story, after the complaints for ME2.

Mister_Bubbles said:
I'd guess they want to make it clear it has a strong story, after the complaints for ME2.

I hope that's not the case. Short of spoiling the story they can't do anything pre-release that would convince me or anyone else that ME3 will bring the story back. Bioware is infamous for their pre-release hype and bullshit.

We're all going to play it anyway so there's no need to make us angrier by spoiling so much.

Gvaz

Banned
I want a story in ME2. One of my friends said he liked me2 because it was episodic and I wanted to slap a fool :mad:

Clott

I wouldn't say the story in ME2 was bad, did it lack the focus of the first game, yes it did, but you can't expect the bridge to be all that important. I would say if anything, the sequel made me care for the ME universe even more, I got more personal with it's inhabitants and got to experience more fleshed out lore.

Ickman3400 said:
I hope that's not the case. Short of spoiling the story they can't do anything pre-release that would convince me or anyone else that ME3 will bring the story back. Bioware is infamous for their pre-release hype and bullshit.

We're all going to play it anyway so there's no need to make us angrier by spoiling so much.
Yea exactly. I could sort of understand heavily discussing the story pre-Mass Effect 2, due to a majority of people not knowing Mass Effect is a trilogy and to get those that enjoyed ME1 coming back. But at this point in time, I'm sure the only people following ME3 are those that complete ME2 (and maybe ME1) and know where the story is headed. No need to constantly explain each element that will make up the story experience - we can do that for ourselves.

Top Bottom