• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Jarmel

Banned
Lakitu said:
A little update (with more information from magazine Chief -- thanks to Whiteshiro from Bioware Social):

Some description of some planets:

Sur'Kesh: A peaceful world. Very tropical, with palm trees, waterfalls. The Salarians live near a Volcanic crater. From top to bottom you'll see the houses they live in.
Rannoch (Quarian homeworld): A desert with huge pyramid structures.

-You visit Sur'Kesh earlier in the game.
-New and improved Biotic powers.
-Re: Space Battles -
There will be a space battle when you visit the Turian homeworld. You'll work together with the Turians to try and destroy a Reaper fleet.

The question is whether you control the ship during space combat. There was always going to be space battles but are they interactive or just cutscenes like in ME2?

YAY for variety though.

Yes! YES! Space battles!

I hope we'll be exploring some of the land outside the salarian city we visit, because that location sounds pretty rad. I don't want another Virmire where all the cool stuff is just on the horizon. : (

They're getting to the point where they're unveiling too much again. I don't expect that battle to be anything special or difficult sadly.

Kyoufu

Man. I need to go on a media blackout but its a little difficult to do so when the thread title teases new stuff all the time. :( Curse you Nirolak! :p

BattleMonkey said:
"they are revealing too much!"

Stop reading spoilers

You don't get it. I'm obligated to know everything they release so I can get a feel for just how bad this will end up being.

Besides it was more of a remark to Bioware since they said they weren't going to release too much again.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
BattleMonkey said:

Stop reading spoilers

Still it's their fault for putting all of this out in the first place, even after claiming how they're not going to do what they did with ME2 and put out so much game information before the release.

MechaX

BattleMonkey said:

Stop reading spoilers

True. But hopefully they don't pull a Capcom by having major story elements in their trailers (just like how the fanbase were able to guess the biggest twists in Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4 from their trailers alone because they showed off a little bit too much).

Gvaz

Banned
I don't care about spoilers. Major spoilers like the ending? Yeah I care. Shepard went and did a thing with someone and it's stated out of context? Who cares, I don't.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Really now, let's try to contain the hyperbole.

? Mass Effect 2 is one of the most graphically impressive games this generation has offered. Mass Effect 3 being an amazing looking game is expected, not hyperbole.

BigTnaples said:
? Mass Effect 2 is one of the most graphically impressive games this generation has offered.

and it doesn't look nearly as good as Crysis 2 or Killzone 3.

Nor does it have to since it's not going for the hyper realisim look. It's useless hyperbole.

Trickster

Lakitu said:
-Re: Space Battles -
There will be a space battle when you visit the Turian homeworld. You'll work together with the Turians to try and destroy a Reaper fleet.

That sounds dumb as hell.
in a straight up fight a reaper fleet should destroy absolutely anything the current races could throw at it. The only way I see a space battle versus a reaper fleet being something that last more than a couple of minutes is if Bioware pulls some utterly idiotic shit out their asses, think ME2 ending levels of idiotic

Trickster said:
in a straight up fight a reaper fleet should destroy absolutely anything the current races could throw at it. The only way I see a space battle versus a reaper fleet being something that last more than a couple of minutes is if Bioware pulls some utterly idiotic shit out their asses, think ME2 ending levels of idiotic

Keep in mind they're now telling us that reapers can be many different sizes so depending on what size the fleet is they could stand a chance...I guess.

Also keep in mind we're going to have to forget most of what we already learned since Bioware doesn't seem interested in a consistent storyline. I agree that it sounds stupid but what are we going to do at this point?

Trickster said:
Maybe this mission will be unlocked if you're able to discover the "weapon". You can do the mission before the discovery and lose the fight painfully.(but you're able to help some civilians to escape) Or finish the main quest and win the fight, but a lot of the civilans died, because you'd waited too long.

RedSwirl

I wonder if they'll handle the
space battle like how Skies of Arcadia handled ship combat

I've always kinda wished for them to basically rip off Skies. My perfect vision of a space RPG from a gameplay standpoint is basically Skies of Arcadia in space.

Imagine it:
Space battles
Shepard hiring crew members for various functions on the Normandy
Shepard having his own city-sized secret base on an uncharted moon somewhere

Ezalc

RedSwirl said:
I've always kinda wished for them to basically rip off Skies. My perfect vision of a space RPG from a gameplay standpoint is basically Skies of Arcadia in space.

Imagine it:
Space battles
Shepard hiring crew members for various functions on the Normandy
Shepard having his own city-sized secret base on an uncharted moon somewhere

NO NO STOP IT! STOP IT RIGHT NOW! Don't you dare make me dream of this, it's too beautiful and saddens me that it'll probably never happen ;-;

Atruvius

Jarmel said:
The question is whether you control the ship during space combat. There was always going to be space battles but are they interactive or just cutscenes like in ME2?

YAY for variety though.
Probably just frustrating and shitty railshooter segment.

Clott

Ickman3400 said:
You will. I said the same thing after they spoiled shepard dying in 2 at E3, it didn't work.

But that was a video, even I have that trailer ingrained in my mind.

Dany

Banned
This comes from the bioware forums from a 10 page article on the Swedish Magazine LEVEL

bolded are emphesis

level_61_cover_small.jpg

(the upper text says, "Exclusive visit to Bioware" and the lower says, "10 pages about the big finale")
(for the record, this cover image came from LOADING.se, a site run by the staff of LEVEL)

I thought I'd transcript the most interesting stuff for you (unfortunately it is impossible for me to scan the images, so I'll have to describe them until someone else can put them up - and not here, anyway):

Basically the writer of the article actually got to meet the team face-to-face in Edmonton and saw (and heard) some very interesting stuff. Most of the initial info is just stuff *we've* already heard. They have the good old picture of Ashley, with a caption that clearly states that Shepard has split with Cerberus and that this means s/he has a chance to get back with Ashley/Kaidan and maybe reignite the romance from ME1. Nothing overtly new.

The picture of Shepard with an armored Kaidan to Shepard's right (the reader's left) and Liara on the opposite side is also in the article. The caption states that every single squaddie who survived ME2 will be back. It does not say if they're going to be playable or even permanent squaddies (aside from the Fantastic 4 that we already know of).

The article also have the picture of the refurbished SR2's interior. The caption says that parts of the Cerberus crew will actually leave the ship, and that it will feel quite empty early in the game.

Casey Hudson goes on about the fact that Shepard won't play the role of a general, but that s/he will affect the outcome of the war through inspiring other through his/her actions. Casey also says one of the main inspirations for Shepard was Jimmy Doolittle, a WW2 fighter pilot who epically owned a lot of his enemies and became a big inspiration for other soldiers, and that they're playing that kind of angle with Shep in ME3.

The pictures of the rachni husk and the batarian husk is also in. The rachni is erroneously described as a "collector" in the picture caption.

In a text segment the article writer lets us know that Derek Watts, the art director, accidentally spoiled him with a plot twist of "Luke I am your father"-calibre. Fortunately the article writer decided to keep it for himself. Fun stuff to look forward to, in other words.

Another text segment describes... and boy, this is a big one for turian-lovers such as myself... that Palaven has been rendered completely inoperable as a military stronghold, and that the turians of Palaven (either militarily or as a whole) have been forced to evacuate to a nearby moon that apparently is very barren, to really accentuate the turians status as hardened survivors.

On the other page is a concept picture of the moon in question, with Palaven's dark side in the distance. Fires can clearly be seen on the planet's surface in the dark. Just below it is another picture which I can only assume is Palaven itself. Next to these two is a larger picture of a number of reapers attacking what seems to be a moon for some big, terrestrial planet with cloud formations. It may be Palaven again, i'm not sure.

The third picture has a caption in which the writer states that BioWare has some sort of plan on how to fight (in-game) the Reapers on their own scale, but that they want to keep it a secret other than that it will be "grand".
On the same page is a long description of the reinforcement of RPG-elements, in which Casey states that while they will satisfy the RPG-demand that most fans felt was lacking in ME2, that does not mean they will trim down on the shooter elements. He also says we will have more stuff to buy in the shops, and more stuff to do in the various menus.

There's a picture of Illium and a caption that states we will get to revisit the planet. Below that picture is a smaller picture of the North American continent burning (the ENTIRE continent, for emphasis), meaning the Reaper invasion ISN'T just restricted to Europe like I originally thought.

In the next segment, the article writer is introduced to Corey Gaspur, one of the game designers. Gaspur goes into detail on the new enemies, trying to emphasize their desire to create a greater variety of enemies, especially what he calls "reaper-zombies". Apparently these reaper zombies can have some of their body parts blown off. He also uses the batarian husk as an example of how different areas on the body can affect combat. For example, shooting the hand-cannon will disable his range attack, shooting his claw will prevent him from meleeing you, or you can just ignore both and go for the kill by shooting the more durable torso. This system is apparently going to be applied to more than just this type of enemy.

Casey explains that they are really going for a greater enemy variety, and that they will have cannibalizing husks, Cerberus mechs that can be blown apart in two pieces and new types of husks which will, and i quote, "be to the old [husk]version what 28 days later was to the Night of the Living Dead".

In the next segment they describe the salarian homeworld as a very damp and tropical place, comparing their architecture to the hanging gardens of Babylon. The article writer gets to play a combat sequence in an area by a waterfall, fighting Cerberus soldiers. The gameplay is positively compared to Gears of War, with emphasis on more fluid and faster combat. Casey reiterates that they are trying to make the game more difficult by making the enemies smarter and more tactical. "Veteran is the new Normal."

Next on they meet Parrish Ley, the lead cinematic director. This part isn't very interesting, they just talk about how they are improving the cinematic feel and so forth. Parrish shows the Tresher vs Reaper segment to the article writer, and they indicate that the krogan convoy in which Shepard is situated is supposed to distract the reaper so that turian ships can get clear shots at it.

On the next page is a picture of Anderson in a blue cap, with an ear-phone-thingy dressed in light combat armor with an assault rifle in hand. The caption suggests that he will have a much more combat-oriented role, but it does not say if he will be a squadmember in any capacity. My educated guess is that he will be a temporary squaddie.

The rest of the article is just a couple of quotes that describes BioWares feel of its grand scope, and how excited they are to finish the big project they started 10 years ago, and how well they feel the trilogy-concept have been implemented, emphasizing that the series is the first to have player decisions carry over for three games.

Well like I said in the beginning of the post I can't scan the images, so you'll have to take my (weak) word for it until someone can actually confirm it.

If this has already been posted, just shoot me. I did an extensive research and came up with nothing, so here it is.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention: they say that the factions of the galaxy are on the verge of civil war and is that we might possibly have to choose between them in ME3, such as the quarians and geth, citing Kaidan and Ashley as an example but on a galactic scale. Gulp.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/7228468

All of this sounds exciting to say the least

Clott

Were going back to Illium?! My favorite place in ME2, the atmosphere was so cool, it was place you really wanted to visit.

It still sounds too good to be true, or at least as good as they're hyping it. Every new piece that comes out seems to add at least 1 more location and some other smaller stuff which makes me think this is going to have to be like 60 hours to get everything in the game in a satisfactory manner (meaning no 5 minute trips just to squeeze a place in)

Jarmel

Banned
I'm fapping so hard right now. I would love it if it was IMPOSSIBLE to solve some of the factional differences. No Paragon or Renegade copouts.

The story in general seems to be the darkest yet. You have to watch as planets burn and you can't do jack about it.

ffffuck I already have to go on media blackout? Shit, it's so far away from launch though. Damn Bioware not being able to keep their mouths shut.

I want to just know about gameplay/exploring mechanics NO Story shit. Ugh, oh well *goes into hibernation hole*

Darknessbear said:
ffffuck I already have to go on media blackout? Shit, it's so far away from launch though. Damn Bioware not being able to keep their mouths shut.

I want to just know about gameplay/exploring mechanics NO Story shit. Ugh, oh well *goes into hibernation hole*
yea they are really over doing it, i'll be joining you. just wanna see the game in motion first

Sounds really cool, I'm getting more excited by the day.

Regarding the logistics of fighting reapers : I'll take a full on military campaign simply beating the odds over some fucking deus ex machina. Bioware set the reapers up as some ultra efficient and powerful foe, so there was always going to be something off about beating them. They've been doing this for what I'm guessing is millions of years. I personally just don't want something like an ultimate weapon, or heaven forbid, a virus, being the reason. I'm far more worried about the actual plot points, scenario's, and themes they present us with. The actual fight is going to be "ruh ruh work together" regardless of how we get there.

And I always sort of assumed that they would have different types of reapers, when you think about it, they would have to considering some of the fine tooth cleansing of planets that they do. I sort of imagine something like the Cloverfield scenario, big giant reapers but with minion ships helping out.

One thing I would like to see in ME3....more about the keepers. I would like to go to the areas of the citadel that they go to, see how they replicate, where they live and what they eat, etc. Someone earlier talked about using the citadel relay to "take the fight to reaper space", this could tie into all of that somehow. Maybe you need to enter the interior of the citadel to hit some switch or some similar plot device. Didn't they sort of foreshadow this a bit in ME2, during Thanes mission I believe one of the C-Sec officers talks about the children crawling around ducts and such.

Edit : I wasn't too impressed with Illium. Far too much like the Citadel. But whatever, some of those other locations sound great so we'll see what happens.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thiiink it's time to go on my blackout until the E3 trailer. Getting a lot of info now, most of it relatively unspoilery, but there's a lot there to digest and I'd get a bigger kick out of some of this stuff being a surprise.

I hope we hear some more about Mansell's involvement soon. That's No.1 on my list.

Top Bottom