• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morrowind 2011 - It's out!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
A massive (massive) audio/visual update compilation for Morrowind was just released today. I haven't tried it yet (because I'm Canadian and over my small Canadian download cap), but the videos look very impressive. Works with Steam, so get on it, all you wise people who recently picked it up over the holiday sale. And us grizzled Morrowind vets have one other great reason to enter Vvanderfell again.

Homepage. Includes instructions on how to install, and ensure it runs properly in Steam.

720p video preview Youtube channel.

Torrent download.

ronito

I will not start this game again
damn it where are my install cds?!

AkuMifune

Banned
Watching that video brought back so many memories. But now...holy shit the water! The sky! Oh god. I need to play this again.

Nishastra

Banned
It doesn't take much to get me playing Morrowind again, honestly. I achieved some amazing things with MGE last time I played, but having a big pack like this to start with will be quite nice :p

Dennis

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Does it work with the Steam version? I bought the game in last years sale and haven't played it; this would push me over the edge.
Nice job reading the OP.

He fucking mentions twice that it works with the Steam version :lol

GavinGT

Banned
Looks pretty similar to my Morrowind install. Is this just a compilation of all the community's best mods, or are there new mods included in this as well? Either way, will try.

I'd just like to say, damn, Morrowind is so amazing in its infinite expandability. Morrowind with graphical upgrades kicks the shit out of Oblivion. The MGE water shader is the best water I've ever seen.

Dennis

Banned
Morrowind, Oblivion and (hopefully) Skyrim lives forever due to mods. And they just keep gettng better.

PC gaming <3 <3 <3

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GavinGT said:
Looks pretty similar to my Morrowind install. Is this just a compilation of all the community's best mods, or are there new mods included in this as well? Either way, will try.
Looking at the credits list, it's just a compilation. But saving me ~6 hours trying to catch up on the mods and ensuring compatibility helps. :lol

Xdrive05

I tried to get into Morrowind back in the Xbox 1 days, but never could find the time. Picked up the disk-based PC game from a flea market but never installed it. Fast forward a few years: Loved the hell out of Oblivion! So I'm going to have to try this for sure.

Does Morrowind retail work on Windows 7?

GavinGT

Banned
Has anyone gotten DOF working in Morrowind that doesn't turn the whole world into a blurry mess?

Xdrive05 said:
I tried to get into Morrowind back in the Xbox 1 days, but never could find the time. Picked up the disk-based PC game from a flea market but never installed it. Fast forward a few years: Loved the hell out of Oblivion! So I'm going to have to try this for sure.

Does Morrowind retail work on Windows 7?

Yes, perfectly. However, to use Morrowind Graphical Extender (vital) you'll need to install DirectX 9c. Even if you have a more recent version of DirectX, you'll still need 9c, as it exists independently of any other version.

Ok, so it's definitely pretty, but it seems like all he did was take places with a unique style and layout of flora and fauna and toss big jungle trees everywhere. Seyda Neen is a murky, muddy, rocky little hole with dead trees and moss everywhere, not something you'd expect to see on the Amazon.

I wonder if he replaced the giant mushrooms with trees too.

And am I wrong, or do the buildings, people and objects all look the same as the base game? Aside from the lighting.

_Bro

Banned
Eh, doesn't look that great to me.

Granted, I'm all too familiar with Seyda Neen and Balmora to care about how it looks.

Nice. Now I regret of not buying it in the Steam deals, because I already got it in PS3.

Oh, Morrowind? I probably still have the box somewhere, there.

Xdrive05

GavinGT said:
Has anyone gotten DOF working in Morrowind that doesn't turn the whole world into a blurry mess?

Yes, perfectly. However, to use Morrowind Graphical Extender (vital) you'll need to install DirectX 9c. Even if you have a more recent version of DirectX, you'll still need 9c, as it exists independently of any other version.

Right on. Thanks.

Any word on requirements? I have a fairly beefy main machine (Phenom II X4, 8gigs, GTX 260, Win7 x64), but 2nd machine might not be able to do this justice:

Athlon X2 @ 2.4GHz
2gig
Geforce 8600GTS
Win XP

EDIT: This reads strangely... 2nd machine is what I need to install this on if possible.. (long story)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cap from the youtube trailer:

morrowind2011-01.jpg

Now all i need is Morrowind lol I've been itchin to play it again but the xbox version wont cut it and im too broke to buy it on steam. I can get the PC regular version for cheap but thats without the expansions. I dont recall, do Bloodmoon and Tribunal add a lot or can i just play it without them without missing much?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was thinking about doing a "kill everyone in the entire world except for main plot essential NPCs" run in 2011, but I can't remember who they are. I know Vivec is one of them and I think there's two others. I assume you can't kill Almalexia in Tribunal without breaking the quest. There's a least a few actual humans you can't kill in the vanilla game though.

I tried to Google it but I couldn't remember the text you got when you killed one of them. Something like "the strands of your destiny have unfurled" or something?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MisterRoboto said:
Now all i need is Morrowind lol I've been itchin to play it again but the xbox version wont cut it and im too broke to buy it on steam. I can get the PC regular version for cheap but thats without the expansions. I dont recall, do Bloodmoon and Tribunal add a lot or can i just play it without them without missing much?
I never liked Tribunal, but Bloodmoon adds werewolves and a refreshing change of scenery, so I'd say it's pretty essential.

GavinGT

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
Right on. Thanks.

Any word on requirements? I have a fairly beefy main machine (Phenom II X4, 8gigs, GTX 260, Win7 x64), but 2nd machine might not be able to do this justice:

Athlon X2 @ 2.4GHz
2gig
Geforce 8600GTS
Win XP

EDIT: This reads strangely... 2nd machine is what I need to install this on if possible.. (long story)

You'll be fine with that setup.

I wish this update was never released. I cannot afford to sink 100 hours into this game. Why?! WHY!!!!

Mr. Spinnington said:
as someone who NEVER played ES3, it would be nice to see how big of a deal this is

because the video isn't blowing me away without reference ;p
It's all about the environment and atmosphere in the game. It is indescribable and is actually leagues ahead of Oblivion imo.

leca

If and when it ever finishes downloading I'll throw up a mirror for the file soon, curse this torrent! :lol

Trailer looked crazy impressive for such an old classic.

Wallach

Stumpokapow said:
I was thinking about doing a "kill everyone in the entire world except for main plot essential NPCs" run in 2011, but I can't remember who they are. I know Vivec is one of them and I think there's two others. I assume you can't kill Almalexia in Tribunal without breaking the quest. There's a least a few actual humans you can't kill in the vanilla game though.

I tried to Google it but I couldn't remember the text you got when you killed one of them. Something like "the strands of your destiny have unfurled" or something?

I've done something like this. It is far easier in Morrowind than something like Oblivion because you can make a wizard that flies. Permanently. It surprises me that my own character was the first wizard to make such a realization in that world, but it did not surprise me when dominating said non-flying populous was only a minor task. :lol

Top Bottom