• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morrowind 2011 - It's out!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Vanilla Morrowind's art direction is brilliant and unique. This is a 2002 game in a huge open 3d world, people. 2002.

morrowind01.jpg

morrowind02.jpg

morrowind03.jpg

:O Mannnnn I so wish Morrowind went down to $10 during the sale. I'm on a strict diet. :(

Oh well, subscribed for down the road; THANKS for bringing this to my attention. :)

Mod-filled Morrowind was a cherished diversion through much of grad school. The music alone is almost enough to push me over the edge and get back into PC gaming. Are there other games available on the platform?

Argh... *peeks over at Newegg*

Wallach

I hope they find that kind of visual inspiration again for Skyrim. Morrowind is one of the most engrossing worlds I've ever explored in a video game.

echoshifting said:
:O Mannnnn I so wish Morrowind went down to $10 during the sale. I'm on a strict diet. :(

Oh well, subscribed for down the road; THANKS for bringing this to my attention. :)

Don't worry, I'm sure it will go on sale soon. I think it went on sale 2 or 3 times in 2010.

Max said:
2 seeds going at 5 kB/s :(

Me too =(

affableamerican said:
The music alone is almost enough to push me over the edge and get back into PC gaming.

That's Jeremy fucking Soule right there. The man is a genius when it comes to VG music. His work on Guild Wars is some of my favorite VG music of all time.

Leunam

Balmora has got quite a few trees now. Don't know if I like that change but I might still try this out.

Few questions since I own Morrowind/Oblivion on Steam but never got around to play Morrowind yet.

1. This is a graphical upgrade to Morrowind and not a mod for Morrowind running via Oblivion, right?

2. Any difference beside graphics?

3. Should I experience Morrowind on it's own or will this mod effect the experience?

Hm, is this the collection of mods that adds all the best weapons easily available from a shop instead of having to find them? Always wary of fan made mods messing up game balance like this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
PantherAttacks said:
Hm, is this the collection of mods that adds all the best weapons easily available from a shop instead of having to find them? Always wary of fan made mods messing up game balance like this.

Looking through the list, it appears to just be graphics mods and the official Bethesda plugins. Nothing that should mess with game balance.

JoeyX

Neo Member
br0ken_shad0w said:
Did any mod fix the combat yet? That's the only reason that's stopping me from playing.

There was a mod being made that put the Morrowind world into Oblivion. Quests and all were not yet done but the land and NPC's I think were there.

Fitz

Fusebox said:
Will it run at 1920 x 1200?

MGE will allow you to set your resolution to whatever you want.

shagg_187 said:
Few questions since I own Morrowind/Oblivion on Steam but never got around to play Morrowind yet.

1. This is a graphical upgrade to Morrowind and not a mod for Morrowind running via Oblivion, right?

2. Any difference beside graphics?

3. Should I experience Morrowind on it's own or will this mod effect the experience?

1. Correct, it's a compilation of Morrowind mods.

2. Well it adds objects like extra trees/bushes etc and some buildings and the like, so nothing like combat mods or anything that will affect game balance.

3. As this doesn't alter the gameplay mechanically, I'd say to skip vanilla and go straight for this.

Chris R

Going to check this out. Morrowind is my second most played game ever right behind wow. Was going to try to get oblivion up and modded but this seems like a much better idea :D

Zeliard

There wasn't a single moment in Oblivion that even approached seeing a Silt Strider in Morrowind for the first time. I kept waiting for just one moment to evoke similar awe and it never came.

ajim

Zeliard said:
There wasn't a single moment in Oblivion that even approached seeing a Silt Strider in Morrowind for the first time. I kept waiting for just one moment to evoke similar awe and it never came.
Did you play the Shivering Isles? That whole game was awe inspiring to me. So much better than the actual Oblivion game.

ajim said:
Did you play the Shivering Isles? That whole game was awe inspiring to me. So much better than the actual Oblivion game.

I can agree with this, but it still came nowhere to being as awe inspiring as Morrowind.

Wallach

rhfb said:
Ugh, the link to the torrent file isn't downloading at all :( Can anyone post it to a proper site :lol

I'm about done with the full 7z (1.08GB) but I have no idea where I'd upload it to.

CassSept

I have exams this month I have exams this month I have exams this month I will not get addicted to this game again I will not get addicted to this game ARGH.

Morrowind was so amazing. The only bad thing about the game was... well... Tribunal I guess? That was a pretty bad xpac, but Bloodmoon redeemed it. So many hours. And I didn't even ever finish the story or explore the whole map. This game was fucking massive, with so many choices of what to do. I think the closest vg that has gotten to more or less status of single player MMO.

What really made it unique though was the art direction. I hated Oblivion because, while TES3 had it's own unique design and charm, Oblivion was pretty much straightforward fantasy crap. Forests everywhere, pseudo-medieval castles, knights in shining armors, nothing that you wouldn't see everywhere else.

onken

Man forgot how great the music is in Morrowind, and that's some amazing looking water. Models still look like ass but I guess that would be asking too much. Shame this would never run on my shitty laptop (vanilla struggles as it is).

ajim said:

I actually hated Shivering Isles, quite an amazing feat to fill the area with all that weird shit and still be more dull than the main game. NPCs are also extra irritating.

Wallach

wwm0nkey said:
So ummm any pics yet?

I'll snap a few when the last bit downloads (fuck people that snuff their uploads when there's no seeds) and I get done with the ridiculous tweak-fest that needs to happen before this will actually run.

Chris R

Wallach said:
I'm about done with the full 7z (1.08GB) but I have no idea where I'd upload it to.
I just want the torrent file :lol It isn't downloading off that website for me for some reason :lol

edit: cancel that, restarting firefox and utorrent fixed it, yay!

onken said:
Models still look like ass but I guess that would be asking too much.
I noticed this as well, yet I recall a number of excellent face mods. In fact (after a quick search), I remember being completely blown away by Rhedd's Heads. (Looking at some of the comments on that site, maybe this doesn't replace NPC heads though... strange.)

Edit: Pics of the face mod I mentioned

FemaleDarkElf4.jpg

FemaleBrinton1.jpg

Munin

onken said:
Man forgot how great the music is in Morrowind, and that's some amazing looking water. Models still look like ass but I guess that would be asking too much. Shame this would never run on my shitty laptop (vanilla struggles as it is).

I actually hated Shivering Isles, quite an amazing feat to fill the area with all that weird shit and still be more dull than the main game. NPCs are also extra irritating.

Modded models in Morrowind look wayy better than anything in Oblivion, so if anything, the author didn't include that stuff.

Max

I am not Max
affableamerican said:
I noticed this as well, yet I recall a number of excellent face mods. In fact (after a quick search), I remember being completely blown away by Rhedd's Heads. (Looking at some of the comments on that site, maybe this doesn't replace NPC heads though... strange.)

Edit: Pics of the face mod I mentioned

[IG]http://www.gmod.com/gmodder/hall-of-fame/begriffith/FemaleDarkElf4.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://www.gmod.com/gmodder/hall-of-fame/begriffith/FemaleBrinton1.jpg[/IMG]
Can't understand why something like this wasn't included

Colkate said:
1. Correct, it's a compilation of Morrowind mods.

2. Well it adds objects like extra trees/bushes etc and some buildings and the like, so nothing like combat mods or anything that will affect game balance.

3. As this doesn't alter the gameplay mechanically, I'd say to skip vanilla and go straight for this.

Thanks man! :D *patiently waits for other Steam downloads to complete so this could be added in*

Rhedd's Heads.

Ohh! That looks intruiging! Someone patient enough willing to check if the two are compatible?

Proc

I remember getting chills playing this game. I never get chills. The soundtrack was just incredible. I was too young to get very far into it. I would love to go back and complete it. Oblivion fell short of my hype but I don't think anything could really stack up to the way I felt about Morrowind.

Top Bottom