• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morrowind 2011 - It's out!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Morrowind has some of my favourite skies in gaming.

~fin

JoeyX

Neo Member
Brettison said:
Are we sure? I thought usually at least with Oblivion you needed 1 gig of VRAM for all of the texture mod shit.

The hell? No way, Oblivion is a pretty easy game to get running. Video Ram of 256 (iirc) would be fine for most games these days.

Anyone here heard of Morroblivion?

some pics worse was around ~30 fps in heavy grass and water scenes (the most taxing) w/core 2 duo 3ghz, 4 gigs ram, 280 gtx 1 gig vram default settings from the OP @ 1920x1080

mw_2011_1.jpg

mw_2011_2.jpg

mw_2011_3.jpg

mw_2011_4.jpg

mw_2011_5.jpg

Wallach

Four quick 1080 images around Seyda Neen for you guys (pretty sure I have this set up right). Had to convert them to JPGs so the quality is kind of lame, but the original images are like 5MB+:

lobs6.jpg

gnQ6e.jpg

eESO6.jpg

D1nrq.jpg

Definitely looks better in screenshots than it does in motion with the default settings. It's also laying a beatdown on my FPS for what it looks like (seems like trying to play it above 30 FPS is a waste of time).

Munin

Looking at the character models, it seems like Better Bodies isn't included? They still look segmented.

fanboi

Banned
Really disappointed in you all, especially Evilore....

Where the fuck is the Gloriouspcmastergamingrace.jpg?

Jenga

Banned
I was excited thinking it was some awesome new graphics mod that came out of nowhere but alas, it is simply a compilation

also, is it just me or is the lighting simply fucking terrible?

the inside and outside buildings look like they're glowing

fuck it, guess I'll stick to my own custom modding

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Can't they import TES:O char models?

Anyway fanboi... For the love of Christ get rid of that damn avatar :lol

ajim

onken said:
I actually hated Shivering Isles, quite an amazing feat to fill the area with all that weird shit and still be more dull than the main game. NPCs are also extra irritating.
Really? Thats insane, I loved the areas and the NPCs. Sheogorath was just awesome, the new weapons were better, the missions and exploration were also 10x better. I really hope ES V builds on what the Shivering Isles brought to the ES series <3

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Morrowind sure has some very cool and awe inspiring locales and atmosphere... sometimes really missing in Oblivion (which did do a lot of things right though... level scaling aside...).

Jay Sosa

I have never played Morrowind (had the Xbox version wich felt like 10fps so I quit after a few minutes..) so this sounds like a good place to start..

Is there any complete version I should avoid? I just recently bought Baldurs Gate which should theoretically work fine on Vista just to have to search the internet for over an hour because the game wouldn't even let me get past the cahracter generation screen (had to choose minimal installation of all things, still don't know if that really works but at least it loaded the tutorial).

So long story short:

Is there a preferable version for Vista?

And will this mods work on a this laptop:

(Booster) specs: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 with 512 MB GDDR3 dedicated video memory

Thanks in advance!

Suairyu

Banned
The one problem with the better trees mod is that is makes one of the games' earliest quests near-impossible. You have to stand atop the lighthouse and observe where some guy is hiding a package - better trees means you can't actually see him because your view is blocked.

Also, much as I've been enjoying Morrowind, I can't help but game the level up system. Have to make sure I get three categories of skills levelled up by 10 each time so I get the maximum number of attribute points at each level up... yeah, that means blu-tack+run key and leaving it for a bit. Or jumping loads.

I hope this works with the disc version. I feel like I've had this game since before Steam existed. In fact I still have my 9800 around here somewhere (though it has seen better days) and two Morrowind discs. It's always something to see stuff from the past upgraded beyond what it was supposed to look like. Dolphin and PCSX2 kind of have the same effect on me.

JoeBoy101

Morrowind2010-04-2621-38-48-21.jpg

It's amazing what you can do with the Morrowind Graphics Extender. Its a ridiculously open and deep software tool. Anyways, this is not with this compilation, but MGE is the big part of it. That, the texture replacers, and Better Bodies.

Morrowind2010-04-2621-25-09-04.jpg

Morrowind2010-03-2013-59-04-87.jpg

God damn, just looking at that makes me again realize just how generic Oblivion looked in comparison. I really hope Skyrim takes it back to Morrowind style.

Ledsen

This is going to make the mod community SO PISSED OFF. They HATE compilations because they favour a few modders over others, and also because a compendium can never keep up with updates etc. and the modders will get flooded with questions about bugs they've fixed in newer versions but not in the unauthorized compilation. Oooooh boy this is going to raise a storm.

Max said:
Can't understand why something like this wasn't included

Face mods for all NPCs are included, if you can't see them you've done something wrong.

UncleSporky said:
Ok, so it's definitely pretty, but it seems like all he did was take places with a unique style and layout of flora and fauna and toss big jungle trees everywhere. Seyda Neen is a murky, muddy, rocky little hole with dead trees and moss everywhere, not something you'd expect to see on the Amazon.

I wonder if he replaced the giant mushrooms with trees too.

And am I wrong, or do the buildings, people and objects all look the same as the base game? Aside from the lighting.

"He" didn't do anything. He stole a lot of mods without any sort of permission from their creators, and nothing else...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ledsen said:
This is going to make the mod community SO PISSED OFF. They HATE compilations because they favour a few modders over others, and also because a compendium can never keep up with updates etc. and the modders will get flooded with questions about bugs they've fixed in newer versions but not in the unauthorized compilation. Oooooh boy this is going to raise a storm.

They should learn from Artistpavel.

Munin

Ledsen said:

"He" didn't do anything. He stole a lot of mods without any sort of permission from their creators, and nothing else...

Save for the MGE related stuff, there's quite a few mods that aren't updated anymore, really.

bestami

Since i am going to try this out, i might aswell go all out. Are there any other essential mods for morrowind ?
Never tried to mod morrowind before but i assume it is a lot like oblivion and fallout 3 since the page mentions a mod manager.

Catshade

bestami said:
Since i am going to try this out, i might aswell go all out. Are there any other essential mods for morrowind ?
Never tried to mod morrowind before but i assume it is a lot like oblivion and fallout 3 since the page mentions a mod manager.

Any mod that makes Cliff Racers (a type of annoying flying creature that roams the game's wilderness) non-hostile.

Agyar

Catshade said:
Any mod that makes Cliff Racers (a type of annoying flying creature that roams the game's wilderness) non-hostile.

Disabling cliff racers would be like disabling Morrowind's soul.

Dennis

Banned
JoeyX said:
The hell? No way, Oblivion is a pretty easy game to get running. Video Ram of 256 (iirc) would be fine for most games these days.

Anyone here heard of Morroblivion?
The hell yourself. If you want to max out modded Oblivion you can easily exceed 1GB of
VRAM.

MaddenNFL64

Morrowind. Tribunal. Bloodmoon. Fucking loved it. Hundreds of hours, great memories.

Elder Scrolls has me by the balls. When Skyrim is out, i'm going deep into that shit.

MaddenNFL64

Catshade said:

Invisible enchantment on HQ clothing. You won't get bothered on your travels by those friggin' nightmares.

Salacious Crumb

Hmm it seems setting the shader model to 3.0 is what's actually crashing my game, 2.0 works fine. Could it be a driver issue causing the crash? I'm using a 6970 and 10.12a

Edit: yay I got it working, I just have to turn water reflections off, strange.

acm2000

so, they didnt fix anything that actually needed fixing?

the models are horrendous, the animations laughable, and the faces fell out of the ugly tree

acm2000 said:

the models are horrendous, the animations laughable, and the faces fell out of the ugly tree
Who pissed in your slit-strider-o's?

You do remember the game was made almost a decade ago, right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
fanboi said:
Really disappointed in you all, especially Evilore....

Where the fuck is the Gloriouspcmastergamingrace.jpg?

You don't realize that I only used the concept satirically in the Dragon Age OT?

CassSept

Jay Sosa said:
I have never played Morrowind (had the Xbox version wich felt like 10fps so I quit after a few minutes..) so this sounds like a good place to start..
doit.gif

The game is amazing, my favourite non-Black Isle RPG ever. So good.
Looking at these screenshots reminds me how stunning the water was at the time of Morrowind's release. It looked so damn real.

Munin

acm2000 said:

All these things were fixed by mods.

Xdrive05

Anyone else having trouble running this? I followed his installation instructions to the T. (game then patch, expansion then patch, etc.). I got a bunch of missing object errors that wouldn't let me start the game until I turned off a bunch of different things under "Data Files".

Then when I finally could start the game I ran into a bug that creates an "invisible wall" at the end of the dock where you get off the boat. So I can get as far as choosing my race and gender, but I cannot get into the next building. Even the guard at the end of the dock is kind of shuffling around. He apparently hits the wall too. :/

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I can find my discs for morrowind that I got for free with my graphics card and new computer years ago in some Asus gift pack (along with worms blast and tom clancys black thorn)

I see no CD keys on the discs.. and theres no further packaging... (I have the case they came in too)

this could be trouble

KuroNeeko

How is the difficult level in this game? I really liked Oblivion but was forced to give it up halfway when my custom character started losing to the auto-leveling mobs. Didn't like how TES:IV forced me to duel my summons to raise defense, sneak behind guards constantly to earn stealth, or aimlessly cast magic just to raise my skills before I could level.

Can I actually create a custom character and make it to the end game without being forced to repeat the same task over and over to manually level my skills before level-ups?

Wallach said:
Four quick 1080 images around Seyda Neen for you guys (pretty sure I have this set up right). Had to convert them to JPGs so the quality is kind of lame, but the original images are like 5MB+:

gnQ6e.jpg

Definitely looks better in screenshots than it does in motion with the default settings. It's also laying a beatdown on my FPS for what it looks like (seems like trying to play it above 30 FPS is a waste of time).

Using 'Rhedd's Heads' mod for the NPC?

Crazetex

_Bro said:
Eh, doesn't look that great to me.

Yeah. Vanilla Oblivion looks better to me, even if Morrowind has much more interesting locales (boring repeated medieval fantasy is boring).

Clevinger

Alternatively, it seems Morroblivion (the project that converts Morrowind's landmass and such into Oblivion's engine) now has all of Morrowind's main quest working now, and it seems like they're going to keep adding Morrowind's quests to it (I think they have House Redoran and Morag Tong already).

http://morroblivion.com/forums/morroblivion/mods/790

I've never tried it, but I think I'll have to pretty soon.

Ledsen

acm2000 said:

The faces and character models are fixed.

GavinGT

Banned
I've got over 3 GB in my Data Files folder, so a 1 GB compilation can't possibly be a comprehensive collection.

Randy

Jenga said:
I was excited thinking it was some awesome new graphics mod that came out of nowhere but alas, it is simply a compilation

also, is it just me or is the lighting simply fucking terrible?

the inside and outside buildings look like they're glowing

fuck it, guess I'll stick to my own custom modding

This x1000. Looks awful.

Top Bottom