• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morrowind 2011 - It's out!

Ledsen

Lyphen said:
It's ~4GB unzipped.
It's still not even close to comprehensive, and it's missing some of the best stuff out there. It also might not be to everyone's taste, which is why compilations generally are à bad idea. Mod lists and tutoriald are really all anyone should ever need to make the game look like they want.

John

Ledsen said:
It's still not even close to comprehensive, and it's missing some of the best stuff out there. It also light not be to everyone's taste, which is why compilations generally are à bad idea.
cool, so what else should i play with? first timer here.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ledsen said:
It's still not even close to comprehensive, and it's missing some of the best stuff out there. It also might not be to everyone's taste, which is why compilations generally are a bad idea. Mod lists and tutorials are really all anyone should ever need to make the game look like they want.
Fuck that, I'm never spending 6 hours trying to mod Morrowind again (waiting on Fileplanet for hours and hours, or going over my allocated download size on Rapidshare), those days are over. :lol

Wazzim said:
Damn that looks good, how long has he been working on this?
He didn't make the mods - it only took him ~3 weeks to find and compile it all into a torrent and ensure compatibility.

Nishastra

Banned
GavinGT said:
I've got over 3 GB in my Data Files folder, so a 1 GB compilation can't possibly be a comprehensive collection.
Damn. I just looked at mine, and it's over 5 :p

Anyway, my one problem with my own setup was that I could see waaaay too far at night. Darkness had no real negative effect. Sure, it was... dark, but I could still see for miles. This was more than a year ago, though, so perhaps there's a solution for it now.

Lyphen said:
Looking at the credits list, it's just a compilation. But saving me ~6 hours trying to catch up on the mods and ensuring compatibility helps. :lol

THIS. The biggest hurdle to modding Morrowind is researching load order, which mods work together, which mods are the best, etc. It's a massive PITA if you're starting from scratch.

Ledsen said:
It's still not even close to comprehensive, and it's missing some of the best stuff out there. It also might not be to everyone's taste, which is why compilations generally are à bad idea. Mod lists and tutoriald are really all anyone should ever need to make the game look like they want.

I totally respect the people willing to spend the time to do it; I'm sure the game is even better when you research the stuff extensively. I just personally don't feel like putting all that work into it again. I've done it before years ago and it was a frustrating time-sink starting from scratch. I just want something ready-made that still looks really good (and this does).

Wazzim

Banned
Lyphen said:
He didn't make the mods - it only took him ~3 weeks to find and compile it all into a torrent and ensure compatibility.
Oh :lol Still nice to have instead of searching out seperate ones when you're new to the game.

Ledsen

Lyphen said:
Fuck that, I'm never spending 6 hours trying to mod Morrowind again (waiting on Fileplanet for hours and hours, or going over my allocated download size on Rapidshare), those days are over. :lol

Well, it's not only that, but also the fact that he took all these mods and redistributed them without the modders' permission. This sort of thing has made modders quit the community, stop making mods and pull all their mods from the web multiple times before.

vid

Ledsen said:
Well, it's not only that, but also the fact that he took all these mods and redistributed them without the modders' permission. This sort of thing has made modders quit the community, stop making mods and pull all their mods from the web multiple times before.

Which seems like an unfortunate response. While the players are thinking "Wow, Morrowind looks so much nicer now, I'm probably going to sink another fifty hours of my life into this", various mod community members are responding with "Heeeey, you're freely distributing my freely distributed work, and remembering to give me credit for it, I'M TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME."

This may be a terrible misinterpretation on my part, as I'm not familiar with the Morrowind mod scene, but the responses that you're describing really do seem very counter-productive.

Regardless, I'm certainly excited to head home after work and install this. I tried installing quite a few graphic mods for Morrowind previously, but always had trouble with them conflicting with each other... seems like this will solve those problems.

Dave Long

Banned
Ledsen said:
If that's what modmakers want to do, then so be it. But this is the internet, where everything is sifted, combined, and rehosted/redistributed a million times over on hundreds of websites. It's aggregation in extremes, for everything from games to recipes to what people have in their wallet. Modmakers are fighting a losing battle and just look like pricks if that's how they want to respond.

Boo fucking hoo to them.

Rufus

The shaders tank my frame rate, what a shame. Only getting around 16 to 18 fps outside. :lol I kinda liked the way it looked with HDR and Bloom, but alas, I guess I'll do without, should I actually play Morrowind again for this.

Jenga said:
also, is it just me or is the lighting simply fucking terrible?

the inside and outside buildings look like they're glowing

fuck it, guess I'll stick to my own custom modding
Turn off the shaders, problem solved. Doesn't fix the clashing art styles in the faces etc, but I guess we can't have everything. :/

I can't even get the vanilla look to run properly on my new laptop. It runs smooth as hell when I'm out in the wild, but the moment I enter a city my framerate drops. It's improved ever since I removed my Balmora house-mod, but it still should be running better on a new laptop.

So seeing this stuff gives me a sad.

Got a strange question.

I have a saved game of a pretty sweet (IMO) character, mostly based on the enchanted items I made. I want to see what the items were and with what stats but I'm too lazy to install the game just to see it. If I post a saved game, can someone look into it for me? I swear to God it's not like a virus or anything, just a Morrowind saved game (.ess I believe).

IIRC I made shoes, pants, and a belt that basically allow you to run very fast without losing stamina. It was pretty awesome.

Know this sounds crazy but yeah. If no takers, I'll just install the game again :p

edit: nvm installed it myself.

Leonsito

Installing Morrowind again to try this :)

Btw, any good ingame mod for replacing the quest log, to keep track of solved quests and things like that, the vanilla one is a huge mess and I didn't finished Morrowind due to it.

Cheech

Ledsen said:
"He" didn't do anything. He stole a lot of mods without any sort of permission from their creators, and nothing else...

No, he put all these mods into a single collection that people like me don't have time to hunt down. As he's not collecting a penny from anyone, he didn't really "steal" anything now, did he?

heringer

Ah, I remember I got Morrowind bundled with an old videocard I had. I think it was a Radeon 9600 or something. Good times.

I would buy the game again, but I don't think it would run very well with this mod on my old PC.

Horns

I find Morrowind no matter what patch I use still has that pause and load screen every once in a while. Any performance improvement with this mod to reduce that loading?

Lyphen said:

This. The people who mod Morrowind eight years after the fact aren't the people this is amed at. It's aimed at getting people who haven't touched it in five years into the magic again.

Bliany

Anyone know of good ways to increase the FPS after setting this all up? Things to turn off/remove? The game looks beautiful, but I'm not sure how playable it will be at 12fps outside.

GavinGT

Banned
Bliany said:
Anyone know of good ways to increase the FPS after setting this all up? Things to turn off/remove? The game looks beautiful, but I'm not sure how playable it will be at 12fps outside.

In MGE, do some or all of these -

• remove shaders
  • reduce draw distance
  • reduce distant land distance
  • reduce grass density
  • lower texture/mesh sizes in distant land creation wizard

Also make sure you're using the Morrowind FPS Optimizer program. It has to be running when you start morrowind.exe.

_tetsuo_ said:
Why is Morrowind so much better than Oblivion?
The Morag Tong.

Seriously, the first time I jumped across a row of roofs, picked the lock on the roof door, snuck in, robbed someone blind them kill then I had the biggest game-on of my life.

Grimmy

Banned
How bad does it run? I tried the Vality's Bitter Coast mod and my game slow to like 19 fps. This despite the fact that Oblivion funs at 50+ at all times for me (with mods).

Aaron

Bliany said:
There's a lot to be said here. But for me I think a lot of it is nostalgia.
Bullshit. Morrowind was full of hand placed items instead of computer generated nonsense that comprises a lot of Oblivion's dull landscape. No auto leveling enemies, better locations, mostly better quests, the ability to fully explore the world with flying and mark and recall... and many others. The reason is mostly some minor change overs in staff and a different approach to how they made Oblivion. Morrowind was in production for like six years.

Monocle

_tetsuo_ said:
It has a better setting, a much more interesting plot, no autoleveling bullshit (unlike in Oblivion, it's possible to infiltrate dungeons with enemies way stronger than you), and you can levitate anywhere (it's actually a really big deal).

Bliany

Aaron said:
Bullshit. Morrowind was full of hand placed items instead of computer generated nonsense that comprises a lot of Oblivion's dull landscape. No auto leveling enemies, better locations, mostly better quests, the ability to fully explore the world with flying and mark and recall... and many others. The reason is mostly some minor change overs in staff and a different approach to how they made Oblivion. Morrowind was in production for like six years.

I agree with all of this. I just mean that every time I hear the theme song i remember how much fun i had exploring this world for the first time, and it makes me want to do it all over again.

_Bro

Banned
Monocle said:
It has a better setting, a much more interesting plot, no autoleveling bullshit (unlike in Oblivion, it's possible to infiltrate dungeons with enemies way stronger than you), and you can levitate anywhere (it's actually a really big deal).
Levitate on touch.

Aaron

Bliany said:
I agree with all of this. I just mean that every time I hear the theme song i remember how much fun i had exploring this world for the first time, and it makes me want to do it all over again.
Not me. I had my fill. I turned a lowly thief in rags into a man that could punch gods unconscious.

Still love the theme song though.

pilonv1

Installed all this and got it working and now I have no mouse cursor in the menu. Will try again tomorrow night.

dino1980

Is there any mod out there to insert the fighting-gameplay from Oblivion in to Morrowind Want to like in oblivion the choice to take out my shield and hide behind it, or for exempel do an uppercut if I have reached a certain lvl in hand-to-hand combat?

krzy123

_tetsuo_ said:

In Morrowind to become a Guild Master you needed to have the actual stats and abilities to back it up, in Oblivion its just a series to quests and then your the boss.

railGUN

Banned
The mod collection torrent / download links have been pulled from the site. Sounds like he caught a lot of flack from some people within the mod community, which is... unfortunate.

Munin

Those snobby modders and their silly sense of entitlement. They'd rather nobody actually plays their mod. I mean, they do good work but if this exposes a whole new group of people to their beloved game, why just not let it be?

Munin said:
Those snobby modders and their silly sense of entitlement. They'd rather nobody actually plays their mod. I mean, they do good work but if this exposes a whole new group of people to their beloved game, why just not let it be?
My initial instinct when I saw this on Reddit was the same as yours. Then I read what seems to be a reasoned and polite mail from one of the modders:

To make matters worse, it appears that you kept this quiet until just before release and contacted a number of news sites, some of whom posted articles on it. Most of them have been contacted (not necessarily by myself) and a few have already removed their articles or mentions because of the laws in question, including Bethesda Softworks.

Although this community is foreign to me, I'm siding with the mod community on this one. Seems like this could have been easily avoided with basic courtesies and respect. More info here.

railGUN said:
The mod collection torrent / download links have been pulled from the site. Sounds like he caught a lot of flack from some people within the mod community, which is... unfortunate.

Well that's retarded. So now instead of installing Morrowind and all these mods I will... not install Morrowind and not play these mods. They win I guess?

Munin

MomoPufflet said:
Well that's retarded. So now instead of installing Morrowind and all these mods I will... not install Morrowind and not play these mods. They win I guess?

It is completely retarded. You should check out the mod package site where the author reposted an email by the modders and they talk about DMCA takedown notices and copyright breaches as if he had just leaked an early copy of Skyrim. It's hilarious.

Top Bottom