• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Demo impressions thread

Unicorn

Mortal Kombat demo is out for PSN+ members today. Free peasants get access in a week.

Post impressions and info you've discovered here.

fernoca

Was planning to do this thread, but the demo is not live yet. And looks like will be live, later today; as with the weekly PSN updates.

But the demo is the same from the Truck Tour, so people that played that one can share their impressions too.

MasterAJ22 said:
Also known as the thread where no one has PSN+.
Considering a good amount of people got PS+ for Stacking a few weeks ago and during the last few days for this demo too, there are plenty. :p

W Hudson

I have PSN+, can't wait to have the demo go live and get some impressions. MK is my most anticipated title this year. Really anxious to see how fluid/smooth the animations and combat is in this game.

Some here may correct me, but the demo has 1 fatality per character as well as the Pit stage fatality, correct? No Living Forrest?

Guevara

Played a bit of this already. Only 4 characters in the demo (Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Johnny Cage, Mileena) and two stages. The animations are really nice and the graphics are pretty smooth. I also like the damage modeling (characters show damage as the match progresses).

I like the X-ray effects for super moves. These are pretty brutal, like that guy should be dead brutal.

Sub-Zero is unusably slow. I'm sure better players will prove me wrong.

I also really like than when you pause the game you get a move list that covers basic moves, special moves and fatalities. When you win a match you can quickly check out the fatalities and stage fatalities.

Another great addition: the time between rounds is greatly reduced and smoothly transitioned. That really helps the pacing.

Im so pumped for this demo! I wish Kung Lao was one of the choices for characters but im happy with who they picked. PS+ has treated me well.

Xater

Question for the PS+ guys, can the free stuff be played with a different PSN account on the same system?

spats

Gee I hope this entire thread doesn't turn into bitching about the value of PS+.

Looking forward to trying out the demo later.

W Hudson said:
I have PSN+, can't wait to have the demo go live and get some impressions. MK is my most anticipated title this year. Really anxious to see how fluid/smooth the animations and combat is in this game.

Some here may correct me, but the demo has 1 fatality per character as well as the Pit stage fatality, correct? No Living Forrest?

The Living Forest fatality might be in but no one has figured out how to do it yet.

As an xbox owner I want to hear all the details on the demo, like is it actually really fun to play and does it feel like it has legs. This could be the ultimate return to form.

Is she playable?
489539806ADcUwC_fs.jpg

fernoca

W Hudson said:
Yep. One Fatality, plus a Stage Fatality for The Pit.

Overall info from PlayStation Blog:
Sometimes, life is about the simple pleasures. The contented cooing of a sleepy puppy. The smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls. The sickening crunch of Scorpion stomping your rib cage while an X-ray view displays the internal damage in real time. In 3D.

Yes, friends. I have played the Mortal Kombat PSN demo, and it is good. Comprised of four characters and two stages, the demo is a meaty preview of what to expect when the full game hits PS3 on April 19th (April 21st in the EU). PlayStation Plus subscribers are getting early access this coming Tuesday, March 8th (March 9th in the EU) and it’ll be delivered directly to your PS3 as long as you enable Automatic Downloads in your XMB settings. All other PSN users will be able to download the demo on Tuesday, March 15th.

The demo comes with four playable fighters: Johnny Cage, Mileena, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero. Fan-favorite Scorpion is nastier than ever, packing his trademark throwing spear (“Get over here!”) and a wicked new sword, while rival ninja Sub-Zero forges weapons from ice and shatters internal organs with a touch. Hollywood prima donna Johnny Cage hits below the belt, and sai-wielding mutant assassin Mileena makes no effort to hide her gleaming five-inch fangs. You’ll also get two environments: The Living Forest and The Pit, complete with its gruesome stage fatality.

Mortal Kombat’s stereoscopic 3D viewing mode is exclusive to the PS3, and I was lucky enough to try it on a massive 60’’ 3D Sony Bravia. Stereoscopic 3D lends an impressive sense of grandeur and scope — the environments seem to stretch on into infinity but don’t distract from the fighting. “We didn’t want 3D to change the basic mechanics or complicate things needlessly,” Mortal Kombat creative director and series co-creator Ed Boon told me. “Our 3D implementation makes the characters pop from the background a little more, and helps you focus on them.” By rendering the fighters in 2D for its stereoscopic 3D mode, Mortal Kombat’s action remains visible even if you’re not wearing 3D glasses. This is a handy detail if you’re playing with a group on a 3D TV and find yourself short of 3D glasses — everyone will be able to play and watch whether they wear 3D glasses or not. If you’re not wearing glasses, the 3D backgrounds will look a bit blurry but the characters will appear crisp and clean.

Gameplay-wise, the Mortal Kombat demo is loaded with special attacks, combos, juggles, and ultra-powerful X-ray attacks that will leave your opponents reeling (and your stomach heaving). The action is fast and satisfying, with a 2D, side-scrolling feel that’s much closer in spirit to MKII or MK3. A standout example lies in the glorious return of the turn-around kick, which is a powerful juggle combo starter where you jump over an opponent and kick after you clear his shoulder. Judging by my hands-on time, turn-around kicks — a staple of the classic games but downplayed in later entries — are back in full force. According to Boon, this is by design. “We know turn-around kicks are an essential ingredient this time,” Boon told me. With a little practice, I was able to easily perform my signature Scorpion combo from Mortal Kombat II: Turn-around jump kick, teleport punch, spear throw followed by an uppercut or combo for an easy 25-30% damage. Not bad, but I’m sure some of you can do much better!

The Mortal Kombat demo supports two modes: One-on-one Versus battles (the final game supports two-on-two tag battles as well), and a short single-player Ladder mode. Protip: Completing that Ladder mode in the PSN demo unlocks a jaw-dropping video montage of the final game, complete with glimpses of new fatalities, returning characters, and impressive new stages. I won’t spill any secrets, but consider that video to be required viewing.

Oh, and one more thing: The “Toasty” guy is back. I’ve seen him! Have any questions about the features or feel of the upcoming PS3 Mortal Kombat demo? I’ll be delighted to provide further information, just ask away in the comments.
Basically:
3D enabled
4 characters (with specials, X-rays, etc.)
1 Fatality per character
1 Stage fatality (The Pit)
2 modes: 1-on-1 versus, Ladder Mode (a short arcade mode)
Beating Ladder Mode, unlocks a movie with some teasing at what the overall game will include, Kratos, Shang Tsung, test your luck, etc.
Keep in eye to the corner, when you do an uppercut for Dan 'Toasty' Forden​

Xater

FINALBOSS said:
Negative sir.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Just means PS+ stays uninteresting for me. Oh well I bet Giantbomb will do a QL for this demo and next week I can play it myself anyway.

LowParry

I'll get my impressions in later today. Just picked up the 3 month PSN+ cause it has some goodies I liked anyway.

fernoca

Guevara said:
Another great addition: the time between rounds is greatly reduced and smoothly transitioned. That really helps the pacing.
Though, that has been in the MK games since Deadly Alliance. The second round starts rigth there. If the characters are too close, the one that won the match moves back a little. What was added in this one, is that the winning character does/says something.

mr. puppy said:
is the download up? i cant find it.
Will be up as with most PSN updates. After 5PM, 8PM or even 10PM. Hope it's earlier.

Khezu

Xater said:
Thank you for the prompt reply. Just means PS+ stays uninteresting for me. Oh well I bet Giantbomb will do a QL for this demo and next week I can play it myself anyway.

I hope they do a live stream of it when it comes out today, jeff and brad seem to really like the series.

Hopefully the wait for the xbox demo isn't to crazy.

Guevara

fernoca said:
Though, that has been in the MK games since Deadly Alliance. The second round starts rigth there. If the characters are too close, the one that won the match moves back a little. What was added in this one, is that the winning character does/says something.
Ah, I had no idea. Last Mortal Kombat I played was probably 4, but the last one I was really into was 3.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thats a lot of content for a demo. Love it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I was reading Gaf , I was so innocent and pure like a kitten..and read this

Mortal Kombat Demo impressions thread

Dreamin of playing Mortal Kombat demo ,With my Eyes wide open and a smile was on my face and clicked on the link to the thread..I was happy...then

Mortal Kombat demo is out for PSN+ members today.

Sad ,I am sad now.

Free peasants get access in a week.

It was just brutal OP , I hate the OP and PS+

Seriously someone put for PS+ only on the title.

fernoca

Guevara said:
Ah, I had no idea. Last Mortal Kombat I played was probably 4, but the last one I was really into was 3.
Yeah. They did removed something (at least so far, haven't seen videos or mention of that), is that in those previous games, some characters had "personal ways" to standing up; after losing a round. Scorpion "did a Spider-Man", shooting his spear to the top of the screen, to get up. Sindel started like glowing purple and flying. Sub-Zero got up shooting ice from his hands and elevating himself with it. Kenshi started glowing, meditating and levitates..and a few more.

But still cool. Is a nice way to like don't break the pacing and also give some secs to breath.

SpacLock

I can't wait to hear some of your impressions. I need to make sure that I ignore the impressions of the trolls in the SFIV/MK thread.

Chavelo

Motherfuck...

3DS + Pokemon (Poke Fanboy) OR Portal (Valve Fanboy) OR Mortal Kombat (MK Fanboy)

/checks wallet

Seriously... D:

/cries

Xater

Chavelo said:
Motherfuck...

3DS + Pokemon (Poke Fanboy) OR Portal (Valve Fanboy) OR Mortal Kombat (MK Fanboy)

/checks wallet

Seriously... D:

/cries

Don't get a 3DS and get all 3 games instead?

Lothars

Xater said:

He's wrong though, games that are downloaded on PSN + can be played on another account on the same system.

Lothars

BlazingDarkness said:
As a UK peasant, PS+ is a bag of shit. I pucrhased 3 months worth and instantly regretted it.
Cock all content.

I have totally the oppisite opinion of PS+, it's a fantastic deal and I would recommend any PS3 owner to get it, I've got my money back several times over.

fernoca

Fuck! Portal 2 is the same day as MK! :(
Mortal Kombat is priority to me, but darn..I wanted Portal 2 day one with the whole PS3/Steam/Vale/Cloud/Unlock PC version...deal.

EDIT:
Though checking on "my release schedule" I have nothing set to get in May, so I'll get Portal 2 in May. :)

LowParry

Lothars said:
He's wrong though, games that are downloaded on PSN + can be played on another account on the same system.

This is true. Just the other night the wife was playing Sonic and I have the main account.

fernoca said:
Yeah. They did removed something (at least so far, haven't seen videos or mention of that), is that in those previous games, some characters had "personal ways" to standing up...

That's still in there. People have unique tag outs, stand ups, etc.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Xater said:
Question for the PS+ guys, can the free stuff be played with a different PSN account on the same system?

FINALBOSS said:
Negative sir.

What are you talking about?

Yes you can, stop giving false information

I have 2 PS3's 120GB Slim in my room, 60GB Fatty in my bro's room

Both have my account on them, and my brother gets all the benefits of PSN+, the themes, wallpapers, games, etc.

Hell my good friend who I game share with (he's in Boston) has my account info and has played all the PSN+ stuff

Top Bottom