• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat First Look: Inside the R-rated Reboot

People slating the movie are dumb af, it aint even out yet and its based on a video game ffs.
A: 99% of movies based on video games end up shit because the director has a completely different take than what we remember the game by.
B: There is plenty of movies that you know are going to suck by the trailer. Also it doesn't help that the budget for this was way less than the original 1995 one.

They don't know a thing about any of these characters. They thought johnny cage was the main character and didn't want a white man in this movie.

Greg Russo is a passionate MK fan, you don't know what u talking about. Maybe he knows more than u about the mk lore...

And u can see on the interviews how much he and the cast are in love with this movie, they're excited, and u can see also how much passion they put on their roles to please the fans.

Last edited:
A: 99% of movies based on video games end up shit because the director has a completely different take than what we remember the game by.
B: There is plenty of movies that you know are going to suck by the trailer. Also it doesn't help that the budget for this was way less than the original 1995 one.
C: Greg Russo knows the Mortal Kombat lore and the fervorous fanbase. He isn't Paul Anderson.

I more interested in stunt man team. Who did they hire?
Here;

Max Huang who is playing Kung Lao is an expert stuntman, formed on the Jackie Chan stunt class. He said he helped not only in the stunts, but also on some choreography.

Man, everything i saw until now on trailers and tv spots are badass.

The director promised the best fight scenes ever made in a movie...Well, he said that publicly! I have sure will be awesome, maybe not best EVER, but will be good.

Last edited:
I really wanna see Sub Zero's :D
7yNteL4.gif

Well donno how but here in Vietnam, movie will be shown this Friday in all cinemas :D Im guessing for cinema, these copies need to be sent out much earlier and this is one of the countries that couldn't care less about official dates.

Enjay

Banned
Here;

Max Huang who is playing Kung Lao is an expert stuntman, formed on the Jackie Chan stunt class. He said he helped not only in the stunts, but also on some choreography.

The director promised the best fight scenes ever made in a movie...Well, he said that publicly! I have sure will be awesome, maybe not best EVER, but will be good.
C: Greg Russo knows the Mortal Kombat lore and the fervorous fanbase. He isn't Paul Anderson.
What are you looking for work with them? Also stop being so gullible lol I remember when everyone was swearing that Darren Aranovsky (legend of chun li) was a proper street fighter fan because he talked up how good his vega and chun li fight was compared to the street fighter animated movie and that ended up being about as bad as this movie's looking.

What are you looking for work with them? Also stop being so gullible lol I remember when everyone was swearing that Darren Aranovsky (legend of chun li) was a proper street fighter fan because he talked up how good his vega and chun li fight was compared to the street fighter animated movie and that ended up being about as bad as this movie's looking.

Charlie Day Ok GIF

I have some magical beans for sale. They are so magical that demand has been too high, quantity is very limited. The stars have aligned as the prophecy foretold a great buyer such as yourself would present themself.. Please message me asap to finalize sale!

Methos#1975

Greg Russo is a passionate MK fan, you don't know what u talking about. Maybe he knows more than u about the mk lore...

And u can see on the interviews how much he and the cast are in love with this movie, they're excited, and u can see also how much passion they put on their roles to please the fans.
Yet he didn't know enough to know Cage isn't the main protagonist and instead of focusing on Liu Kang, he created a new character because he has so much passion for the series wants to make fans happy lol.

Soodanim

Funny you should mention Paul Anderson, that’s exactly what comes to mind when we have a movie adaptation where the main character is someone brand new.

What anyone in charge of this movie knows about the lore is irrelevant, because the fact is they wrote themselves a story where they replaced one of the OG characters with someone brand new because the white guy didn’t feel right as the main character in a diverse group. They say it like it’s an unfortunate consequence they can’t get out of, but they made the decision to have a story where Liu Kang isn’t the main character.

I’m not holding out much hope. The original is still fun, not to mention the fan service and the iconic music and moments. The fact that the movie cast from 26 years ago just got put into the most recent game says a lot about the lasting impact of that movie, and something tells me this new one won’t quite have the same life.

Methos#1975

Funny you should mention Paul Anderson, that’s exactly what comes to mind when we have a movie adaptation where the main character is someone brand new.

What anyone in charge of this movie knows about the lore is irrelevant, because the fact is they wrote themselves a story where they replaced one of the OG characters with someone brand new because the white guy didn’t feel right as the main character in a diverse group. They say it like it’s an unfortunate consequence they can’t get out of, but they made the decision to have a story where Liu Kang isn’t the main character.

I’m not holding out much hope. The original is still fun, not to mention the fan service and the iconic music and moments. The fact that the movie cast from 26 years ago just got put into the most recent game says a lot about the lasting impact of that movie, and something tells me this new one won’t quite have the same life.
That is the the absolute best part imo. Cliams to know and respect the lore but chooses a entirely new made up Character for SJW reasons instead of going with the already in place lore Asian character. Come on, you cannot defend this guy by stating he knows the lore when crap like this is being pulled.

FranXico

They don't know a thing about any of these characters. They thought johnny cage was the main character and didn't want a white man in this movie.
There's a lot of justification regarding "how do we explain the plot". So, their solution to allow lazy exposition and poor writing in general was to make the protagonist a blank character. And you're also right. At the end of the day, it's just racism.
Lastly, one more problem Garner and his team had was the unsavory idea of a white character (like Johnny Cage) being the hero who saves everyone. (Tan is mixed-race Chinese-British.) In Mortal Kombat lore, Johnny Cage is a Hollywood star who enters the tournament to prove he isn’t a pampered, spoiled A-lister. While Cage is rarely the capital-H hero in any given Mortal Kombat game, he is always somewhere near the center bringing levity to the serious stakes.
The irony is that the hero who saves everyone has always been Liu Kang, and Cage has always been nothing more than a comedic relief. They must have just watched the old movie up until Cage beats Goro and drew conclusions from there.

Last edited:

Reallink

Here;

I'm 100% sure you're either Greg Russo, are employed by the production, or are otherwise gainfully invested in it. Literally no doubt in my mind.

Last edited:

Soodanim

He made fun of Paul Anderson and Alice...;

A little bit of research will not kill you, and prevent free hate shit posts...

It’s below minimum effort discussion to dismiss reactions to the information given without an actual response. Dropping a video without even a time stamp and expecting people to watch a 30 minute Zoom call isn’t a rebuttal. Saying it’s hate to think the purposeful omission of one of the original characters is a mistake doesn’t make it reality.

I did skip through some of it, and the new guy is brought up at around 14 minutes. Nearly every bit I landed on when I hopped through was about reinforcing the idea of being true to the series, which is lovely. But wouldn’t being true to the series mean including Johnny Cage? Do you not see the cognitive dissonance brought on by that point? Nothing in the video that I saw counters that. If you have a relevant time stamp, I’ll watch it.

For me, the fact remains that they thought it would be less effort to create an entirely new character than to put Johnny Cage in, and the movie is going to have to be fucking amazing to justify it. So unless you have some insight I’m missing, being a faithful believer isn’t going to convince me.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Techno Syndrome 2021 by Benjamin Wallfisch from the Official Soundtrack of Mortal Kombat.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
That's not what they said at all. Read the article you've linked. They said that if you have a mostly diverse cast , it's weird to have one of the few white character come and save the day. I see where they're coming from.
Adittionally, I also understand why they went with a 'neutral' main character. Every established character from the MK lore as protagonist would have made it their movie, not a MK movie.

I'm not sure how it will work out and if I agree with them, but I understand why they made those choices.
Techno Syndrome 2021 by Benjamin Wallfisch from the Official Soundtrack of Mortal Kombat.

Damn, is that the OST for the movie? It fucking sucks. Wtf?!

Last edited:

Don't really care about the race of the main character.

It would have been easier there if they just admitted that they are just using the Mortal Kombat franchise to make it a bit easier to market what will certainly be a crap movie. Hence the reason why they won't even use an MK character as the main protagonist, it seems.

I just feel like the kind of egos involved in the movie industry means that they absolutely need to put their own stamp on things and can't just look at the existing material and make a movie out of it. No, no, they need to create their own protagonist etc. Weird stuff.

Maybe there is some kind of twist here or something but I am not hopeful.

xrnzaaas

Damn man, the remix of the original theme song is AWFUL. The only way they could've made it even worse is if they decided on a hiphop version of the remix.

Do you seriously think this will be the case? Do you honestly expect anything to be above B- grade including the fight scenes in this movie?
I wasn't joking when I said I have magical beans for sale.

hemo memo

Gold Member
My brother watched it yesterday and said it is ok but weirdly it is PG here. He said they cut a LOT of the movie.

Soodanim

That's not what they said at all. Read the article you've linked. They said that if you have a mostly diverse cast , it's weird to have one of the few white character come and save the day. I see where they're coming from.
Adittionally, I also understand why they went with a 'neutral' main character. Every established character from the MK lore as protagonist would have made it their movie, not a MK movie.

I'm not sure how it will work out and if I agree with them, but I understand why they made those
The counter point is that they wrote the movie to be that way, it’s not like the only option was Johnny Cage saving the day. True to lore means that has never been the story for early MK, which was when this is set. Not only is this not an “I don’t make the rules” situation, it’s a case of them making new rules to override the old rules then using their new rules to justify the changes to the old rules. It’s circular reasoning.

I get your point about the main character, but there’s also always a canon end to MK. It might work for the story, and hopefully they did succeed in avoiding MK’s Alice. Only the finished product will answer that one. But when the foundation is shaky, it’s natural to question what’s been built on top of it.

MiguelItUp

That remix is.... not good. Truly. I've heard vastly better fan remixes over the past decade. While I love a large range of music, even electronic, I could never get into dubstep, so that doesn't really help at all. But I remember certainly hearing better dubstep remixes as well.

Also, isn't THAT particular style of dubstep pretty dead? I mean, I'm sure you can still find it if you want to, but I thought it evolved. Can't say I necessarily keep up with the electronic scene. I only keep up with the stuff I fall on and enjoy from that scene. Though I'm more actively involved in other genres.

Last edited:
I was quite dissapointed TBH. Watched it in the cinema last week. Without spoiling anything, the whole...if you have a sign, you are the chosen one and you need to find a way to unlock that power within you....sure, it makes sense for some supernatural power. But not for mechanical power. Jax has these chopstick metal arms after the accident...then he "awakens" his power and all of a sudden the skinny terminator arms turn into these huge transformers like guns. Like where the F did all that metal and gears come from? Same goes for Kano.

The plot: First hour they actually did a good job with building the universe and than its like they ran out of time and in last 30 minutes wrapped it up so fast it looked so bad. There are some suprise characters and i think they did a good job with costumes. But talking about time...3 characters dont even talk, they just grunt. They didnt even give them 1 line of text. Even though not my favorite character, Sub Zero is a total bad ass in this movie.

The bad:

-There never was a tournament LOL
-Goro dies the stupidest death. He is also MUTE!
- Scorpion shows up in the last 10 min of the movie. The fight you saw in the movie with sub zero? Thats the ending lol.
-Id say Milena is the biggest throwaway character. I dunno, felt like they spent the least amount of time on her costume and she actually looks like a dwarf in the movie. Even with all camera tricks you can tell she is a short stubby female.

Last edited:
Top Bottom