• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat(Vita) |OT| Blood in the Streets

impact

Banned
Looking into it :). The toughest opponents I had so far were Kenshi and mileena. I didn't really have an answer for Kenshi and he was pretty successfull at keeping me locked down on one half of the level. Mileen was just to damn fast to even comprehend what was going on lol. Looking at TestYourMight it seems like those are two very bad matchups for Cage so I guess it makes sense. I need to get some sparring partners and pick up some tips.
Trouble with Mileena? You probably played me at some point. I pretty much only play Mileena but switch to Ermac for Sub Zeros and Reptiles.

You can add me if you want some practice. I've been meaning to learn Rain anyway.

OmegaZero

I was looking at the character models in the Character Bios and was surprised how much better they look at native res.

If this game ran at the Vita's full resolution during gameplay, I think there'd be less complaining about the visuals.

DSmalls84

Trouble with Mileena? You probably played me at some point. I pretty much only play Mileena but switch to Ermac for Sub Zeros and Reptiles.

You can add me if you want some practice. I've been meaning to learn Rain anyway.

Ok I will add some of you guys when I get home tonight. Cage has been my main but I was looking to use Scorpian or Reptile as an alt. Probably done with Scorpian, his combos are easy to pull off but he is pretty slow and his specialls leave him wide open for punishment if you miss them or get blocked.

VanWinkle

I dunno, for me those screen shots look like no sale. There is no denying those visuals are very disappointing when everyone knows the Vita is a bit of power house. I didn't buy my Vita to play lazy ports. I just hope future release are built from the ground up.

While the character models are terrible, the environments are not, and I'd hardly call it a terrible port. It's absolutely packed with content - even MORE than the console versions. It's a shame that it's not as graphically pleasing, but the 60fps, fully animated environments, and insane amount of content more than make up for it IMO.

danno1769

Neo Member
Maybe its just me being rusty as hell but when playing through the arcade ladder, the medium mode seems a little bit tougher than I recall. Some of the challenges on the challenge tower seemed a bit higher in difficulty as well. Anyone else notice that or is it just me?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
While the character models are terrible, the environments are not, and I'd hardly call it a terrible port. It's absolutely packed with content - even MORE than the console versions. It's a shame that it's not as graphically pleasing, but the 60fps, fully animated environments, and insane amount of content more than make up for it IMO.

This is exactly what i think, missing this game only for some missing polygons on characters would be stupid, everything else is great.

OmegaZero

Maybe its just me being rusty as hell but when playing through the arcade ladder, the medium mode seems a little bit tougher than I recall. Some of the challenges on the challenge tower seemed a bit higher in difficulty as well. Anyone else notice that or is it just me?

There's been some rebalances, so maybe the character you're playing as isn't as effective as he/she was in the vanilla version.

Sindel and Jade also have messed up damage scaling when it comes to certain moves.
A 6-hit combo with Sindel that would do 17% on the console version now does a whopping 7%.

I thought the opposite, actually. I recall becoming quite frustrated with the console version in both ladder and the challenger tower, but I'm managing quite well on the Vita. I'm further along in the challenge tower than I ever was in the PS3 version as well.

Shao Khan is still annoying, though... but cheesing him with vaults + uppercuts is still effective, thankfully.

AwRy108

I dunno, for me those screen shots look like no sale. There is no denying those visuals are very disappointing when everyone knows the Vita is a bit of power house. I didn't buy my Vita to play lazy ports. I just hope future release are built from the ground up.

Your loss. Seriously. Drop in detail is hardly noticeable once the game gets rolling, but the 60fps looks smooth as hell and the gameplay is absolutely rock solid. So worth having this game on the go, even if it means double dipping.

nexen

Port is actually awesome - except for the character models. Everything else about the thing is damn near perfect. I'm having an absolute blast with it. Took me a long time to get over the worst models though, I really have to admit.

Looking into it :). The toughest opponents I had so far were Kenshi and mileena. I didn't really have an answer for Kenshi and he was pretty successfull at keeping me locked down on one half of the level. Mileen was just to damn fast to even comprehend what was going on lol. Looking at TestYourMight it seems like those are two very bad matchups for Cage so I guess it makes sense. I need to get some sparring partners and pick up some tips.

Mileena vs. Cage is the other way around, it's a bad matchup for her.

She is not fast, she has some of the slowest standing normals in the game. She also has no armor besides X-Ray and no way to escape reasonably safe, so it's very difficult for her to get out of Cage's pressure when he gets in. Which he will, top players are really good at getting in past projectiles and her d+4 footsies now. Only a few characters like Kabal, Kenshi and Freddy can win with zoning and keep away anymore.

The thing about fighting Mileena is you never jump, unless it's to do a deep jump kick on her d+4, and you have to get used to punishing her roll and teleport kicks. The trickiest is the EX telekick~sai. You want to block the first hit, go into crouch block to block the second, then let go of block and the sai will whiff over your head, giving you just enough time to juggle her with a d+1 into a combo. You can see more at TYM.

slider

I have no fighting game on the Vita. Would folk recommend this over the other stuff available? I'm not big into this genre so I'd probably only get one.

I need to start filling up my new memory card!

impact

Banned
I have no fighting game on the Vita. Would folk recommend this over the other stuff available? I'm not big into this genre so I'd probably only get one.

I need to start filling up my new memory card!

Well it's certainly the most casual friendly of the 3 available. I also think it's a much better game than BBCSEX and Marvel, and it has more content than them.

slider

Well it's certainly the most casual friendly of the 3 available. I also think it's a much better game than BBCSEX and Marvel, and it has more content than them.

Most casual friendly? Sold! Will get it next time I'm online.

On a related note, does it have a demo?

EDIT: Scratch that, I can Google.

This game is fun. I bought it on PS3 when it came out, but never really got that into it.

On the portable it really shines. Yeah, some of the characters are ugly in close up, but this is such an amazing package. I haven't tried any online play yet, but I'm loving the single player stuff.

Anyone who's scared off by all the complaints about the character models, get over it. This is a solid game.

Test your balance is some bullshit

I feared for my Vita's life on test your balance stage 10.

Whoompthereitis said:
Anyone who's scared off by all the complaints about the character models, get over it. This is a solid game.

I agree. The models do look worse, but they only truly look horrible when the camera gets extra close to them--which only happens in story mode at the start and end of fights.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This is one of the best handheld games I've played in a long, long time. Easily my #1 Vita game. I feel sorry for anyone missing out on this experience simply due to some of the screenshots they've seen.

I feared for my Vita's life on test your balance stage 10.

I haven't made it this far yet myself, but when I first got the game I started to think back about some of the harder challenges on the console version made me want to throw my controller through a window and it made me fear for my Vita's safety.

Not my favorite Vita game (Lumines owns all! But I'm biased being a Lumines whore), but it is definitely my 2nd favorite. Ahead of Rayman, Hot Shots, and Stardust. So much content. Performs so damn well. As someone that played the console version on 360 but traded it in before all the extra content came out, it's nice to have it all plus Kratos. Been doing ladder rounds right before bed accumulating points to spend in the Krypt. Love it.

impact

Banned
Got my first rage quitter in ranked. I guess he was afraid of getting double perfected. People online need to start using breaker more, I don't think most people realize how good it is. Most just use meter on random supers :derp

yencid

oh man the "isnt this marvelous" bonus ladder one is funny.

"So i just tap the screen?
Isnt that for beginners?"

Got my first rage quitter in ranked. I guess he was afraid of getting double perfected. People online need to start using breaker more, I don't think most people realize how good it is. Most just use meter on random supers :derp

I tend to spam enchanced moves with Kano, but the breaker is a real lifesaver if you play against pro's who can demolish you with 30%+ combos. Gotta end that streak!

danno1769

Neo Member
I thought the opposite, actually. I recall becoming quite frustrated with the console version in both ladder and the challenger tower, but I'm managing quite well on the Vita. I'm further along in the challenge tower than I ever was in the PS3 version as well.

Shao Khan is still annoying, though... but cheesing him with vaults + uppercuts is still effective, thankfully.

Maybe you just got better =)

I'm still working at it lol. The game does get easier the more you loose though. I guess thats good for casuals and well myself now lol. I think Ill try dropping down a rank for ladder mode. Im trying to unlock all the alternates and it's taking some time

suikodan

If anyone who's not too combo-crazy wants to play some online matches, my PSN is suikodan

also valid for UMvC3

I can't believe how much I love this game. I'd like to have some good matches and have fun with the Kombat Codes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The bonus ladder is absolutely awesome. Really fun and funny stuff all the way up.

They clearly had a lot of fun designing it as it's full of ridiculousness.

jiggles

Banned
Went through the whole Story yesterday (never actually finished it on PS3) and started on the bonus tower.

It's so much goddamn fun. And it doesn't feel like a "Lite" version of its console counterpart at all. The models are really ropey up close, but you can't look at a fight going on in that subway level and tell me it's a bad looking game.

I tried playing online, but it kinda hung on the Connecting to PlayStation Network screen, so I gave up. Hope it was just a one off.

DSmalls84

Mileena vs. Cage is the other way around, it's a bad matchup for her.

She is not fast, she has some of the slowest standing normals in the game. She also has no armor besides X-Ray and no way to escape reasonably safe, so it's very difficult for her to get out of Cage's pressure when he gets in. Which he will, top players are really good at getting in past projectiles and her d+4 footsies now. Only a few characters like Kabal, Kenshi and Freddy can win with zoning and keep away anymore.

The thing about fighting Mileena is you never jump, unless it's to do a deep jump kick on her d+4, and you have to get used to punishing her roll and teleport kicks. The trickiest is the EX telekick~sai. You want to block the first hit, go into crouch block to block the second, then let go of block and the sai will whiff over your head, giving you just enough time to juggle her with a d+1 into a combo. You can see more at TYM.

I pretty much got rolled into a couple long juggles and didnt really stay on my feet long enough to react.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Finished the bonus ladder, except for Juggle V, which is bullshit.

Man, that Kabal missile dodging mission requires some Jedi like reflexes.

DSmalls84

Still meaning to add some of you guys to my friend list, but haven't been home much. Played some more matches last night and won 5 in a row with Cage. Felt kind of cheap some rounds when I was at full screen and would chip away at my opponents with force balls, but they kept jumping into them...

I haven't played a fighting game since VF4 on PS2. Picked up MK Vita last night and only had the chance to play a little bit of the tutorial this morning. Fun so far, I loved MK 1-3 when I was younger and having a quick pick up and play aspect is awesome. My god am I terrible at fighting games though. Ouch.

SHarris78

Was playing arcade mode as Scorpion against Goro, during the match the frame rate dropped to 1-2 frames a second, it stayed like that for about a minute then completely froze. My vita then turned itself off!

Turned it backon , thankfully everythings fine.......weird!

Has this happened to anyone else, is it a know issue?

heringer

MKVita5.jpg

Damn.

I think better textures and a bit of normal map would go a long way to make the models look much better, even with the same poly count. Surely they could have achieved that with a little bit more optimization?

Shao Khan is incredibly easy to exploit with Raiden. If you get a ways away from him, all he'll do is taunt you over and over again. Taunt, taunt, taunt. He might chuck a spear or two as well, but it's mostly just taunting you. All you need to do is use Raiden's flying attack while he taunts.

He never, ever learns.

SmokyDave

Shao Khan is incredibly easy to exploit with Raiden. If you get a ways away from him, all he'll do is taunt you over and over again. Taunt, taunt, taunt. He might chuck a spear or two as well, but it's mostly just taunting you. All you need to do is use Raiden's flying attack while he taunts.

He never, ever learns.

I find him fairly easy to exploit using any character with a projectile attack. Just stand as far away as possible and spam the projectile!

I felt cheap but I'm shit at MK so I was getting frustrated trying to beat him legit.

Barryman

MKVita5.jpg

Damn.

I think better textures and a bit of normal map would go a long way to make the models look much better, even with the same poly count. Surely they could have achieved that with a little bit more optimization?

Yeah it is really odd to me that there are seemingly no normal maps, which should be a pretty inexpensive way to improve the graphical fidelity.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah it is really odd to me that there are seemingly no normal maps, which should be a pretty inexpensive way to improve the graphical fidelity.
Yep. I can't imagine that a few normal maps and generally higher resolution character textures could have had THAT much of an impact on framerate. It seems like they dropped the detail way too far.

Top Bottom