• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat(Vita) |OT| Blood in the Streets

impact

Banned
Isn't good looking. What? To me, is the best looking fighting game on the market, and damn if I haven't played most of them.

blogspot+mortal+kombat+9+concept+art.jpg
BlazBlue and KoF13 are leagues ahead. MK isn't doing anything graphically much better than SF4, SFxT or SC5

SteeloDMZ

Banned
You are now comparing vastly different games (apples to oranges). If you prefer 2D games, then you'll like BB and KOF more. It would be like saying that Rayman Origins looks better than Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time.

Another reason why I'm such a fan of MK 9 visuals is the art direction. Absolutely awesome, unlike the generic style of most other games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You are now comparing vastly different games (apples to oranges). If you prefer 2D games, then you'll like BB and KOF more. It would be like saying that Rayman Origins looks better than Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time.

Another reason why I'm such a fan of MK 9 visuals is the art direction. Absolutely awesome, unlike the generic style of most other games.
I don't think comparing Soul Calibur V to MK9 is unfair. Technically, SCV is simply ahead. It's a more polished experience all around.

I also prefer the art direction myself, but that's subjective.

AwRy108

You can blame the unreal engine and not the Vita, methinks. Instead of "let's pour tons of money into reworking this engine for Vita" it was "let's throw out as much of the effects as we can to get this engine running on Vita." you can't necessarily blame them business wise, but yeah, it's too bad.

Of course I'm speculating so who knows. :p

Makes perfect sense.

gogogow

You can blame the unreal engine and not the Vita, methinks. Instead of "let's pour tons of money into reworking this engine for Vita" it was "let's throw out as much of the effects as we can to get this engine running on Vita." you can't necessarily blame them business wise, but yeah, it's too bad.

Of course I'm speculating so who knows. :p
You can blame Midway's management. They were the ones that forced Netherrealms to use the UE since the first "next-gen" MK, MK vs. DCU. Everything, assets, codes etc. are running on the UE3. Netherrealms did a lot a work to make a 60hz game work with the Unreal engine. They are not gonna port all of that and create a new engine just for Vita.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Where can I go to learn some easy-to-master combos, just in general? YouTube is such a mess.

VanWinkle

I'm sure you're aware of it, but SF4 on the 3DS runs at 60fps as well if you disable 3D in the options menu (turning off the slider doesn't, but adds AA).

Does it really? Huh. I had no clue. I mostly play it with the 3D off for the AA, but I didn't know you could disable it in the options.

Edit: I just tried it out, and it definitely makes the game look better! MK on Vita still looks a lot better, but that 60fps looks great. Thanks for letting me know! I hardly ever play it so I didn't even think to look.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It annoys me how every time there's a connection problem, it counts as a lost for you. I have 112 wins and 29 loses, and of those 29, only 12 or so are actual loses.

fernoca

If it's "Story Mode Shao Kahn" lower the difficulty if you're having problems. Shao Kahn's story mode is kinda of a bitch
well the final match against him at least, the earlier one is easier
... :p

Also after multiple tries; he becomes "easier". :p

Jaroof

I can't believe I did it, but I gave in and bought this.
After playing through the console version, and seeing how much it had to offer, it seemed like a great buy for the Vita.
Great game for the price. So much content, perfect for on-the-go.
Even though I'm not the biggest fan of MK's gameplay.

addyb

Yeah I had £25 on my Psn account so added more credit and went digital with this. Absolutely loved the console version, especially the challenge tower so I'm very pleased its back with a bonus tower as well.
I don't think the visuals are that bad. Nowhere near as bad as I expected. Yes the character models have taken a hit but that means nothing to me. Once the fight starts its silky smooth and great gameplay as always. Absolutely tons of content as well.

RoylAsult

this game is awesome and i think it looks pretty good. cant wait to spend more time with this. all the addition mini games are awesome. ton of replay value

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I keep getting rage quitters like crazy when I play online...just like the console version! lol.

Add me if you play fighters...lyteedge2.

Nobody is ever online as of late. :(

impact

Banned
is that vita only matches? damn that must be a non stop player.

Yea, if it wasn't then I'd have over 1000 matches too ^_^

but anyway, 10 ranked in a row trophy get. Gonna try to get everything except My Kung Fu Is Stronger. I got it on PS3, but I don't even see how it's possible on Vita since the thing goes to sleep after a minute of inactivity.

I keep getting rage quitters like crazy when I play online...just like the console version! lol.

Add me if you play fighters...lyteedge2.

Nobody is ever online as of late. :(
man I've been on for the past two hours or so. Would rather do player/privates since people just rage quit or lag in ranked.

btkadams

this game is really difficult for me :( i wish the easy mode was even easier lol. i am reminded of why i don't play fighting games.

addyb

60fps is no excuse for such terrible character models. It's something out of an early PS2 game.

Yeah but seriously. You see those close ups for a couple of seconds and that's it. I can't say the drop in visuals bothers me at all. The gameplay is untouched from its console counterpart and plays great on the Vita. If anyone's on the fence due to mixed comments about the visuals then don't be. I was initially put off even though I owned the ps3 version and knew how great it was (gameplay wise). I double dipped and bought it on Saturday and I'm very happy I've done so.

SmokyDave

I'm enjoying playing this so far, but, those character models are eye-gougingly ugly. They look OK-ish in cutscenes (although the shirtless guys still look shit) but once it cuts to in-game, it's just horrible. I know I'm only saying the same thing everyone else is but it's so noticeable that you can't help but mention it. If you showed me the in-game models in isolation and told me it was an iOS port, I'd believe it.

Still, lovely 60FPS and enough content to choke an elephant have staved off buyers remorse. Just.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bought it and yeah, half nude male characters are really ugly, but in general the graphics goes from acceptable to very good, so you don't have to worry ;)

Vita's exclusive tower is incredibly fun! XD

I hate playing Ranked matches online. Most of the more competitive matchups tend to happen there but with the lag, it's almost nerfing yourself.

And player matches, well, that's a whole other story.

datamage

One thing I noticed, is how washed out the characters look. (Compare the colors of the cutscenes vs real-time.) Adjusting the contrast/brightness settings helped a ton with this.

DSmalls84

So far I am 15-21 online. I have pretty much memorized all of the special attacks and combos for Cage, Reptile, and Scorpian but I keep getting destroyed online by people stringing together 12 and 13 hit combos! Anyone have any tips. Pretty crazy when I see some people have played over 1000 matches already on the Vita version.

Edit: Also feels like I'm at a disadvantage because the 2 characters I use the most don't have a teleport style move.

impact

Banned
So far I am 15-21 online. I have pretty much memorized all of the special attacks and combos for Cage, Reptile, and Scorpian but I keep getting destroyed online by people stringing together 12 and 13 hit combos! Anyone have any tips. Pretty crazy when I see some people have played over 1000 matches already on the Vita version.

Edit: Also feels like I'm at a disadvantage because the 2 characters I use the most don't have a teleport style move.
Learn your BnB Connie and don't be afraid to play lame. Reptile and Cage have pretty good zoning games as well as rushdown. Testyourmight forums should help with BnB combos.

Letep

Is the continual bashing of the graphics buyer's remorse? Will it end? Can we just play and talk about that?

yeah and again, those fullsize screenshots really don't look like how it looks when you play it. Here's a quick mockup of a screenshot from a usual playing distance:

vita_kombat2.jpg

some stages look better than others, but overall it looks OK and is highly playable.

DSmalls84

In game graphics look fine to me when I am fighting. It's the shift from prerendered scenes to in game models in story mode that is really jarring. Overall with the amount of content and console perfect gameplay I don't really see how anyone can be to disappointed. Definitely my most played vita title by far.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I hate playing Ranked matches online. Most of the more competitive matchups tend to happen there but with the lag, it's almost nerfing yourself.

And player matches, well, that's a whole other story.

I have only tried a couple of ranked matches and got smoked twice. I think I will avoid online for awhile because it seems to be the realm of the experts. Single player is fun though. Probably the most fun I have had with the Vita since I bought it.

Teleport moves don't put you at a disadvantage. If anything, it helps. As most teleports are completely unsafe on block and you'll end up eating a large combo.

As Impact stated, check out the TestYourMight forums, you'll find everything you need there.

VanWinkle

yeah and again, those fullsize screenshots really don't look like how it looks when you play it. Here's a quick mockup of a screenshot from a usual playing distance:

vita_kombat2.jpg

some stages look better than others, but overall it looks OK and is highly playable.

Yeah, but to be fair, it don't look as good as it does in your picture either while playing.

DSmalls84

Teleport moves don't put you at a disadvantage. If anything, it helps. As most teleports are completely unsafe on block and you'll end up eating a large combo.

As Impact stated, check out the TestYourMight forums, you'll find everything you need there.

Looking into it :). The toughest opponents I had so far were Kenshi and mileena. I didn't really have an answer for Kenshi and he was pretty successfull at keeping me locked down on one half of the level. Mileen was just to damn fast to even comprehend what was going on lol. Looking at TestYourMight it seems like those are two very bad matchups for Cage so I guess it makes sense. I need to get some sparring partners and pick up some tips.

Looking into it :). The toughest opponents I had so far were Kenshi and mileena. I didn't really have an answer for Kenshi and he was pretty successfull at keeping me locked down on one half of the level. Mileen was just to damn fast to even comprehend what was going on lol. Looking at TestYourMight it seems like those are two very bad matchups for Cage so I guess it makes sense. I need to get some sparring partners and pick up some tips.

Feel free to add me PSN: woodenlore

Though I mostly play as Sindel and Ermac

Morph-0

I dunno, for me those screen shots look like no sale. There is no denying those visuals are very disappointing when everyone knows the Vita is a bit of power house. I didn't buy my Vita to play lazy ports. I just hope future release are built from the ground up.

Top Bottom