• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat(Vita) |OT| Blood in the Streets

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So GaF goes from "omg this game is a low rez POS" to OMFG ITS AMAZING!!!!

Kinda funny.

It is- look at the MK Vita screenshot thread and you'll find that it's nothing but "THIS GAME LOOKS LIKE SHIT" and replies from the two of us that played it at the time saying it's a good port regardless.

This thread is the complete opposite of that one, LOL.

As expected, it looks much better on the screen. Still not good for a Vita game but "OMG IT LOOKS LIKE A PSP OR 3DS GAME" claims look absolutely ridiculous. Need some PSNs from you guys. I play a mean Mileena.

Are you on my lyteedge2 friends list?

If they made it with better graphics and 30fps people would still be bitching.

Absolutely!

vg260

Currently holding an impressive 90 on Metacritic. Really pleased to see all the positive reviews.

I understand the compromises, but that seems a bit too generous considering the graphics. Maybe like 80ish is more reasonable? Sure, it's the first UE3 Vita game, but why should we care what engine they limited themselves to. It shouldn't be immune to criticism because they limited themselves to an engine not ready for the Vita.

Skilletor

I understand the compromises, but that seems a bit too generous considering the graphics. Maybe like 80ish is more reasonable? Sure, it's the first UE3 Vita game, but why should we care what engine they limited themselves to. It shouldn't be immune to criticism because they limited themselves to an engine not ready for the Vita.

Or maybe graphics don't matter as much in the grand scheme of things and the fact is you've got a content packed, gameplay perfect version of a popular fighter on the Vita.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Are you actually playing the game or playing screenshots? The game looks fine on the Vita. I downloaded it this morning and saying this should be in the 80s doesn't jive with what I am playing. I actually don't notice the graphical compromises when I am playing.

I will be honest, when I saw the screenshots I did get a little nervous, but when I read Giant Bomb's review and then played it for myself, all graphical concerns went out of the window.

Ein Bear

I'm glad it's reviewing so high, more developers should be encouraged to sacrifice visual effects for smooth frame rates.

danno1769

Neo Member
I did it and now the Vita is frozen, and restarting it doesn't work.

edit: got it to work after a while.

Ya that happened with me too

I posted about it but rebooting fixed it for me

As far as the people hating on the game because of graphics.. you knew what you were getting into. Also to mention, who the hell buys this game because of the graphics!? lol. Casuals I assume but even still the game is just loaded with content to make up for it

MDSLKTR

Been playing it at lunch break intensively. Yup it's mortal kombat on a vita and it fits the platform like a glove. Sure the models are fugly up close, but during the gameplay where you will spend 95% of the time it doesn't matter one bit. I'm taking that any day over 30fps or not having the game at all. Great job Netherrealm.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm 30fps good graphics rather than 60fps poor graphics kind of person... I think it's subjective.

Skilletor

I'm 30fps good graphics rather than 60fps poor graphics kind of person... I think it's subjective.

60fps is far more important in a fighting game. If you care more about graphics than gameplay, then that makes sense.

Of course preferring one to the other is subjective, but 60fps is objectively better for the precision timing needed in a fighting game.

Letep

Hey all. If you'd like to add me, my PSN tag is Letep.

Add me on Vita friends list if you'd like to also.

K701

Banned
I'm ready to eat crow, thought this game was gonna look like shit but I just got it and it looks great.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

The game goes into 30fps during Xrays and when it comes back to normal 60fps, yeah, I realized they made the complete right decision not to do 30fps. It would have absolutely killed the game.

Lyte Edge

I'd prefer to have SSF4 AE 2012 or KOF XIII on Vita, but as things stand, this is my favorite fighting game on the system...would rather play this than BB or UMvC3.

I'd prefer to have SSF4 AE 2012 or KOF XIII on Vita, but as things stand, this is my favorite fighting game on the system...would rather play this than BB or UMvC3.

I definitely prefer this to both BB and UMvC3, which is surprising, because I'm not a huge MK fan in general.

Caught me off guard like Dead or Alive Dimensions did for 3DS. A solid, addictive fighter.

I have to imagine we will eventually get SSF4 in some form on Vita. Probably early 2013 though. With SFxTK coming out they won't want to split the market between two fighters around the same period. KOF XIII should eventually hit too considering the quality of the d-pad. But B. Jenet needs to be added to the roster.

Lyte Edge

I definitely prefer this to both BB and UMvC3, which is surprising, because I'm not a huge MK fan in general.

Same here. MK 2011 is really the first MK I ever got into at all. I think it lacks polish compared to a lot of other fighters, but it's still fun. It's also a minor quip, but they really need to work on the characters' intro and win poses. Most of them are so cheesy...they also tend to look dumb just standing there staring into space after their fatalities are finished.

Caught me off guard like Dead or Alive Dimensions did for 3DS. A solid, addictive fighter.

My problem with Dimensions is its ultra-barebones online play. It needed a player match system with a rematch option if nothing else.

I have to imagine we will eventually get SSF4 in some form on Vita. Probably early 2013 though. With SFxTK coming out they won't want to split the market between two fighters around the same period.

I would love to see AE 2012 ported to Vita, with the Capcom side characters from SFxTK added in.

KOF XIII should eventually hit too considering the quality of the d-pad. But B. Jenet needs to be added to the roster.

Hard to tell with SNK. The only "recent" fighter they released on a portable was SS Tenka on PSP as part of the SS Anthology collection, and it was an awful port.

fernoca

For what is worth, console versions also went to 30fps during X-rays.

Some other small things:
-Unlike some rumors and has been falsely spread around some sites and even YouTube, the Vita costumes ARE NOT in the Komplete Edition for 360 and PS3. Go here for more details about what caused thee speculation.

-TRMK also posted how to obtain the extra unlockable costumes. Seems the reward for beating Bonus Challenge #150 is:
3 costumes.
Here they are:

-Sub-Zero UMK3 (Masked)
-Beat Bonus Tower Mission #2
-Mileena MK2 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #9
-Scorpion MK3 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #16
-Scorpion MK2 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #32
-Skarlet MK2 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #38
-Reptile MK3 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #61
-Sub-Zero MK2 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #66
-Ermac MK3 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #95
-Reptile MK2 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #103
-Skarlet MK3 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #109
-Ermac MK2 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #115
-Smoke MK3 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #124
-Noob MK3 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #147
-Kenshi Alt - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #150
-Rain MK3 - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #150
-Skarlet Alt - Beat Bonus Tower Mission #150

(Spoiler alert?) More stuff here.

Lyte Edge

Gonna take me a little while to unlock everything then...I'm just now past mission 61.

Been trying to buy this off the PSN store on my Vita, and every I click on 'buy now' I get the following message pop up:

An error has occurred.
(NP-10805-4)

Lame! Take my money, Sony!

Just downloaded this a little while ago. Yeah, the graphics/models/textures are a bit lacking but once the game gets going in smooth 60fps you really don't notice it all. It looks damn fine in motion.

And the online seems rather lag free so far.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Started playing through story mode... Man, you don't realize how much they skimmed visually until you go back and forth through cutscenes. Poor Scorpion, man. :(

Still, game is so good. Knocked out a good chunk of time for me today. I hope I can get the wifi working in the hospital here, cause that would really extend the life of this game.

Anyone who's on the fence about this should just buy it.

dreamfall

Just bought the cart, that 3GB download was too much for me! I wish I had my Vita with me, so ready to get lost in this goodness!

Seik

Banned
Just got the game! :D

Its really cool, full of content and the fighting is tight and has high fidelity with the console version.

BUT MAN...those graphics make me sad. I really try to convince myself that its not that bad, but it really is. I'm no graphic whore, its just that trying this after playing shit loads of hours on the console version, its hard for the eyes. The story cutscenes could use a little less compression too, can't unsee those lines on the screen. But all in all, its neat that the whole package is there.

6P5YB.jpg

D9LP8.jpg

It really does look like this. Dat Johnny Cage haircut...and Scorpion looks so bland its hilarious! XD

But the game is great, no regrets.

Apath

So I am horribly weak willed and decided to just buy the game with a gift card I had for Walmart (with exactly $43.16 on it).

Game is great. Graphics are awful. As the guy above said, it really does look like the screen shots. It's just not noticeable at all while playing, but is extremely noticeable during close ups at the beginning and end of matches. It's also pretty obnoxious going from the cut scenes to gameplay, as you get the awful close ups a split second after seeing the highly detailed cut scene models. You also don't have the damage models like in the console version, which was really disappointing. I don't know how anyone can deny that the game looks pretty crappy. Gameplay wise, however, it's amazing.

But holy shit, why the fuck can I not skip cut scenes, pause cut scenes, or exit to the main menu during cut scenes? Do I really need to wait until a fight started to be able to quit out? And then when I enter back into story mode I have to watch the cut scenes all over again. Story mode is just... really poorly done in that regard. It doesn't make any sense to force a portable user to sit through minutes of cut scenes to get to game play.

Skilletor

I picked it up, too.

Not really a fan of MK, but my expectations on handhelds are low (but getting greater with each amazing port on these current handhelds).

Skillzilla81

I suck at this game! :)

fernoca

Yep, like in the console version. Story Mode doesn't have character damage (neither fatalites) for continuity's sake. So the characters that are actually killed, their death are also part of the new cannon (at least for now :p).

You can skip cutscenes in Story Mode, after you beat it the first time though. :p

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
By the way, everyone who bought the game, I'd recommend clicking your brightness setting up two notches in the settings. Makes it a little more vibrant on that sweet Vita screen.

Apath

Damage models are there, just not in story mode.
Oh, really? Awesome! I was more disappointed in the lack of it than I care to admit, so I'm glad to hear they're in there.
Yep, like in the console version. Story Mode doesn't have character damage (neither fatalites) for continuity's sake. So the characters that are actually killed, their death are also part of the new cannon (at least for now :p).

You can skip cutscenes in Story Mode, after you beat it the first time though. :p
Yeah, that makes sense. Shame on me for not trying out the arcade mode before bitching about it. Still, that cut scene BS is ridiculous -_-

After playing this game a for few hours tonight, I think that the Vita is one of the most uncomfortable handhelds ever. I can't wait until my grip comes in the mail. I think I got carpal tunnel from two hours of shaking and tapping while fighting, while holding the heavy system itself.

Also a lot of the challenges in bonus tower are pretty gimmicky, not relying on MK skill, but tapping, shaking, and tilting the vita. I'm trying to finish the last challenge (150). I had to skip a few of the stupid ones.

Other than that, I love this game.

VanWinkle

After playing this game a for few hours tonight, I think that the Vita is one of the most uncomfortable handhelds ever. I can't wait until my grip comes in the mail. I think I got carpal tunnel from two hours of shaking and tapping while fighting, while holding the heavy system itself.

Wow, really? I've owned just about every major handheld out there (basically all of the game boy lines, ds fat, ds lite, 3ds, psp, psp go, and vita) and the Vita is the only one I can actually play for more than a couple of hours at a time. Of course, I have large hands so that might be a reason.

Well, my screen protector on the back makes the back indents sharp. Also, to me this seems like the heaviest handheld of them all. Just like the PSP, my ring and pinky fingers get cramped, if they help hold up the system. If they don't and relax in the air, the system is loose and not secure.

Once I get my grip, I'll enjoy it a lot better, and I'll be a lot better in the game. It's just annoying that NO handheld has been ergonomic to me at all until I get a grip for it. I know grips add some size to handhelds that are supposed to be small.

But there's no way you can tell me any handheld is even comparable ergonomically to a PS3 or 360 controller, or anything with an actual grip.

Seik

Banned
Oh and another thing, the sound is really fucking low, like, too much.

If you want to hear something while watching a story mode cutscene, avoid all ambient noise.

Well, of course they're not, but it wouldn't be very portable if they made it that ergonomic, lol.

Ya I know. Handheld shape is all about about portability and sleekness over actual ergonomics. I just don't understand how the average Vita (or any handheld) player plays on a portable without a grip for more than an hour at a time. My hands and fingers are pretty average in size and length. I never have any problems with console controllers playing for multiple hours. The Vita is obviously heavier than a Dual Shock 3, so why don't the idiot portable designers include separate plastic grips with every Vita?? I don't want to derail anymore, but just venting.

What I do enjoy about the sound is online, everybody has the vita microphone on by default (or maybe it's just my settings). So playing matches online just got funner.

DJ_Lae

If you want to hear something while watching a story mode cutscene, avoid all ambient noise.

Yeah, I've got my volume set about 3/4 and it's still almost inaudible. All the other games I've played are loud enough at about a quarter volume.

Khezu

Ya, that's a problem with the console version to, as a whole the game is super quiet, music, sound effects, everything. Its a really weird decision on there part, usually you want fighting games to be loud as fuck.

Top Bottom