• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - Enhanced Online Beta

Khezu

I'm surprised how far they are willing to go with this, even doing a Beta.

I figured they would have just dumped out a patch and hoped for the best.

Ferrio

Banned
Glad they're finally fixing it, but man waiting until a month before the release of SFV was such a stupid decision.

Mupod

I really don't understand how such a big budget high profile game could have launched with crap netcode when something like Rising Thunder has great online.

Glad they're finally fixing it, but man waiting until a month before the release of SFV was such a stupid decision.
Man they got their money it's like Top 10 best selling game of 2015 people would still buy KP2 regardless

They didn't have to this, but they did and I have nothing but respect, they are also testing it rather than just dumping it on us.

Manu

BAZ3gLD.gif

Khezu

I really don't understand how such a big budget high profile game could have launched with crap netcode when something like Rising Thunder has great online.

Programmers might have been stubborn and really wanted to salvage their netcode, or maybe WB didn't want them to waste resources on something they deemed "fine".

I don't know what changed, maybe the success of the SFV beta, the mountains of complaints, or the game selling 5 million copies and WB just saying fuck it and let them do w/e.

I'm pissed it launched the way it did, and that it took so long to fix, and I will probably spend way more time on SFV for a few months, but better late then never, and at least now I have the option to go back and play it online when I want to take a break from V.

Neoxon

That's good to hear. Hopefully PC players can get in on this as well & that the region lock dies with the input delay netcode.

BiggNife

Well, Rising Thunder is being developed by the dude who made GGPO (the first attempt at rollback netcode) and was designed from the ground up to be online only, so I actually would have been legitimately surprised if that game's netcode sucked.

It's taken a while for rollback netcode to catch on with big developers and I imagine a big part of that is that most developers are set in their ways and don't want to go through the massive effort it takes to rebuild netcode from scratch with rollback in mind. SFV is the first Street Fighter game to have rollback netcode and that's because they entirely scrapped their SF4 netcode and started from the beginning, hence the waves of beta testing and resulting technical issues.

Neoxon

Well, Rising Thunder is being developed by the dude who made GGPO (the first attempt at rollback netcode) and was designed from the ground up to be online only, so I actually would have been legitimately surprised if that game's netcode sucked.

It's taken a while for rollback netcode to catch on with big developers and I imagine a big part of that is that most developers are set in their ways and don't want to go through the massive effort it takes to rebuild netcode from scratch with rollback in mind. SFV is the first Street Fighter game to have rollback netcode and that's because they entirely scrapped their SF4 netcode and started from the beginning, hence the waves of beta testing and resulting technical issues.
Street Fighter x Tekken & Third Strike: Online Edition said hi.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Programmers might have been stubborn and really wanted to salvage their netcode, or maybe WB didn't want them to waste resources on something they deemed "fine".

I don't know what changed, maybe the success of the SFV beta, the mountains of complaints, or the game selling 5 million copies and WB just saying fuck it and let them do w/e.

I'm pissed it launched the way it did, and that it took so long to fix, and I will probably spend way more time on SFV for a few months, but better late then never, and at least now I have the option to go back and play it online when I want to take a break from V.

Game development is complicated--time, money, talent, etc. They introduced a shit ton of new things in MKX: whole new single player campaign, new characters, 3 variations per character, all new stages, etc.

NRS really respects the kommunity which is why they're one of my fav developers. They have put a lot of money into the fighting scene since the game's release.

Also this is not just about MKX but also Injustice and MK11.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If we're talking raw sales, at over 5 million, that would be pretty true. You have to scrape together a lot of separate Street Fighter products to get that.

If we're talking about the size of the enduring community, that'd be unlikely.

Mechazawa

It's really insane how long it's taken everyone to wise up on this. I'm sure there are all sorts of technical challenges associated with this that we'll never fully know the depths of, but it feels like ASW is probably the only fighting game developer that has ever managed to make truly good netcode sans rollback.

Qwark

Noob here, what is rollback netcode? I've only played a couple rounds of MKX online, it seemed alright, but I don't really play online much anyway.

Edit: Can't watch the video right now if it's explained there.

Yogg

Awesome news. Have any fighting game changed the netcode late after release before (real question)?

In any case it's great news seeing as the online code seems to be the main gripe with the game.

edit: Ed Boone's tweet mentions GGPO, is that for real? Very impressive move a year after launch if that is the case.

Sales wise its fucking destroy SF, but SF competitive community is fucking huge.

I think MK fans are more casual and less vocal but they are maybe more in number than SF fans. Truth be told MK fans are good for the genre casual or not. We all need to cut our teeth somehow.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Technically MK does sell more, but I would say that the competitive scene for SF is way bigger.

Yup, these are facts:

1) MK > SF sales
2) SF > MK competitive scene. SF is a truly global scene whereas NRS games are NA heavy + a Eastern/Western European scene that's getting bigger (and home to arguably the second best MKX player currently).

But, MKX still has a very healthy fighting scene.

Top Bottom