• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - Enhanced Online Beta

BiggNife

Street Fighter x Tekken & Third Strike: Online Edition said hi.

SFxT had rollback code? I could've swore it was just SF4's netcode.

I knew about 3SO but I should've clarified internally developed Capcom games. 3SO's netcode was all Iron Galaxy.

Xav

Come on man.

2563254-1361589542722.gif

Ed Boon is that you?

My comment was based on sales and I stand by it.

Yogg

I think MK fans are more casual and less vocal but they are maybe more in number than SF fans. Truth be told MK fans are good for the genre casual or not. We all need to cut our teeth somehow.

Exactly. A more casual-than-SF fightning game is not a bad thing. That's not a competition. MKX has refined mechanics and a learning curve just not as steep as SFIV. It suffered from a poor netcode but this anouncement addresses that main/only flaw.

I think this is really big. MKX has done really well by the fighting game community, I think. Very casual friendly, with a decent single player story mode, weekly challenges, the krypt, etc., while also offering up big prize $ for ESL and other tournaments. The thing that was mostly holding it back was the snarky (but justified) comments from pro players saying the netcode made it so that they often lost key tournament matches to lag or had to completely learn new online-only strategies. Now that they've addressed it (assuming it works), NRS is on a pretty good path to continue to make well-received entries in the FGC. Can't wait!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
MK is definitely bigger than SF. Anyone who says otherwise is on that good shit.

Not like SF is anything to sneeze at though.

vg260

Awesome news. Have any fighting game changed the netcode late after release before (real question)?

In any case it's great news seeing as the online code seems to be the main gripe with the game.

edit: Ed Boone's tweet mentions GGPO, is that for real? Very impressive move a year after launch if that is the case.

I don't think any have had such a complete overhaul in type. Third Strike was always rollback-based, iirc They just tweaked it.

Boon probably shouldn't have teased GGPO specifically. Kinda misleading.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Too late and PC will probably not get this. Can't believe how disappointing everything surrounding this game was.

Can you all just come together on the sales argument.
and join forces so we can get the vs game we've all dreamed of?

Ame

Looking forward to finally being able to play a playable MK game online. To bad SFV drops next month.

vg260

Programmers might have been stubborn and really wanted to salvage their netcode, or maybe WB didn't want them to waste resources on something they deemed "fine".

My guess is the latter, and WB is only now seeing SFV and the esports thing take off and realize they were shortsighted.

It's hard to to imagine WB not putting some kind of restraints on development.

Exactly. A more casual-than-SF fightning game is not a bad thing. That's not a competition. MKX has refined mechanics and a learning curve just not as steep as SFIV. It suffered from a poor netcode but this anouncement addresses that main/only flaw.

I'm curious to see if MK inadvertently causes Capcom to step up their presentation and offline offerings to compete with MK in the casual single player space. People that buy AAA event games skip over fighters because all effort is skewed towards competitive play. There's no reason fighting games can't compete in that AAA single player space too. I think Boon is going after Capcom in that competitive space if this GGPO tease is real.

Alfredo

Despite the oddity of a limited online beta coming AFTER the game has been released, this is super exciting. Good on Netherrealm for pulling the trigger on better netcode now instead of making us wait and hope for it in Injustice 2.

Having said that, I hope the new netcode is actually good.

Despite the oddity of a limited online beta coming AFTER the game has been released, this is super exciting. Good on Netherrealm for pulling the trigger on better netcode now instead of making us wait and hope for it in Injustice 2.

Having said that, I hope the new netcode is actually good.
The beta testing gives me confidence

Yogg

I'm curious to see if MK inadvertently causes Capcom to step up their presentation and offline offerings to compete with MK in the casual single player space. People that buy AAA event games skip over fighters because all effort is skewed towards competitive play. There's no reason fighting games can't compete in that AAA single player space too. I think Boon is going after Capcom in that competitive space if this GGPO tease is real.

There's room for both of them, as long as they both give quality gameplay (and I don't think those 2 competitive scenes actually overlap). I really like this move forward for MKX, it shows they're not just pumping DLCs until the next opus like your usual AAA game.

Now I don't think Capcom will notice anything about it really. I'd love a more refined single player aspect for SFV, but that won't happen. On the other side tho, MKX would benefit greatly from the combo trials of SF (or KoF, or many other fighting games).

KAL2006

Banned
Fuck too late Street Fighter V drops soon and I'd only have time to get into one fighter. I'll probably check it out here and their as I have the game installed on my hard rive but I doubt I'd get too deep into MKX now.

Lothars

Sales wise its fucking destroy SF, but SF competitive community is fucking huge.
Fighting game wise as well SF is just on another level compared to MK but yes sales wise MK is huge and this is a great thing for them to do.

It's something that will hopefully make a difference for their online in the future as well.

We're really in a great time for fighters right now...

Mortal Kombat X was a huge success, super fun to play/watch and the developers are actively trying to make the netcode better for competitive play.

Street Fighter V has the fighting game community excited/really tested out its netcode ahead of release.

Killer Instinct has a pretty remarkable training mode...pretty remarkable net code...a unique structure for fighting game content and some really interesting character playstyles...and seems to be successful enough to warrant a 3rd season despite being exclusive to the One.

All three have or have promised to be involved in some pretty big payouts for pro fighting tournaments, with MKX and SFV in particular looking to push their efforts on the streaming of tourneys.

I'm excited.

The Light

It is kinda messed up that boon made everyone think ggpo. Would rather him just play with the words "rollback" in a sentence. Still excited for this and hope pc can get in on the action.
I wonder if they didn't have DLC to sell would they still try to fix it? My guess is probably not.

kombat pack 2 will sell gangbusters with or without the improved netcode.

Yogg

I wonder if they didn't have DLC to sell would they still try to fix it? My guess is probably not.

I think it's the other way around: they gauged the success and lasting appeal of the game with the first kombat pack batch and months of online stats, and then decided for the new netcode route given the good results (and for a second kombat pack obviously, it's still WB).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think the big thing is that they'll likely use this network infrastructure moving forward on future games (Injustice 2 or whatever comes next) and by working out the kinks now, on a game already notorious for having broken netplay, they can have a solid launch then and avoid getting a bad rep at the launch of their next title.

Gurrry

MK9 was horrible netcode, but its better than what I got with MKX. It just had severe lag spikes to where as MK9 was just under water.

I can adjust to water, but not to spikes.

Competitive scene aside, it's true.
Why is it a joke???

It's their own in house version of Rollback, let's see how it works before marking it off as a laughing matter
Because there's a big gap between "rollback" and "GGPO". GGPO isn't just a rollback netcode, it's much more than that and if history taught us anything is that NRS can't develop netcodes for shit so there's a good chance that instead of a shite delay netcode MKX players now will have to deal with a shite rollback netcode.

On the other side tho, MKX would benefit greatly from the combo trials of SF (or KoF, or many other fighting games).

Agreed. I think this would be a worthwhile addition to MKX. I hope NRS will dedicate resources to making this happen.

Ivan 3414

Lol @ the misguided responses to MK being bigger than SF.

That doesn't mean MK is necessarily better; get the sand out your crotches.

Competitive scene aside, it's true.

Because there's a big gap between "rollback" and "GGPO". GGPO isn't just a rollback netcode, it's much more than that and if history taught us anything is that NRS can't develop netcodes for shit so there's a good chance that instead of a shite delay netcode MKX players now will have to deal with a shite rollback netcode.
Yeah but this time they are running a Beta which they never did before, it's okay to be pessimistic but declaring as shit straight away won't help. Is the fact they are adding it in, they are not forced too and money wise have nothing to lose if they don't as its one of the best selling games, I mean that's what gives me hope as in it shows they are actually trying this time

Yeah your right about Ed should not of hinted at using a brand name but they could of still did some work with the company I know they said "Similiar to how GGPO works" so hopefully a close carbon copy but who knows if they actually built this engine from scratch.

We'll see :D

Also correct me if I'm wrong, isn't SFV using their own house version of rollback?

Top Bottom