• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - Enhanced Online Beta

sleepykyo

Mortal Kombat is a pretty big deal these days. It's probably bigger than Street Fighter.

While that is true, I feel the SF competitive base is larger. Like this should have happened way sooner when people were lacking next gen fighters to pummel each other in.

If it gives any body confidence SFV is also using an in house rollback. GGPO is just a brand name of a collections of techniques

I think Region lock might be a thing of the pass

KingBroly

Banned
If it gives any body confidence SFV is also using an in house rollback. GGPO is just a brand name of a collections of techniques

I think Region lock might be a thing if the pass

Eh...I'm not so sure about that.

I get that they've had to add rollback netcode to UE3/MKX, but I'm left wondering why they didn't add it before the game launched. It seems (to me) that the only reason they're adding it is because the sales were great, and if they weren't, their next game wouldn't have rollback netcode either, because I don't think they'd have the time to do so.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
There's a lot of issues with the netkode but I bet there would be a lot less fuss with the current online if they had a mandatory wired only playmode.
In fact I plan to request a idea like that during this beta.

That said any improvements are welcomed. I'm glad to see that overpriced dlc money go to something constructive for the community.

KAL2006

Banned
I really love the MK character designs and atmosphere. However when it comes to controls and Gameplay Street Fighter always feels better to me. For some reason MK just feels clunky and I never feel like I have full control of my character. Where as Street Fighter I feel right at home with. It's a shame as I really like the MK lore, single player content, character designs, stages and etc.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I really love the MK character designs and atmosphere. However when it comes to controls and Gameplay Street Fighter always feels better to me. For some reason MK just feels clunky and I never feel like I have full control of my character. Where as Street Fighter I feel right at home with. It's a shame as I really like the MK lore, single player content, character designs, stages and etc.

Have you played x ? cause it's not clunky at all.

in fact on the other side of the coin sf has always felt slow and clunky to me.

Elixist

i feel ya mang. nrs is getting better, but theres still the corny animations that dont flow as good.

FyreWulff

Awesome news. Have any fighting game changed the netcode late after release before (real question)?

Nope. This is a substantial undertaking - to change how your engine deals with inputs like this is damn near remaking the game.

Eh...I'm not so sure about that.

I get that they've had to add rollback netcode to UE3/MKX, but I'm left wondering why they didn't add it before the game launched. It seems (to me) that the only reason they're adding it is because the sales were great, and if they weren't, their next game wouldn't have rollback netcode either, because I don't think they'd have the time to do so.

Because pure lockstep is known, proven to work, but trades reliability for input latency.

edit: also, rollback has to be substantially customized per game - and requires a lot more overhead the more complex games get. A naive (in terms of programming interface) rollback implementation wouldn't work for a new, modern game.

I'm really impressed that they would commit to such a huge undertaking, this long after release, but I'll give them credit where credit is due. Hopefully this'll help blow new life into the MKX community. Of course, the netcode shouldn't have been garbage in the first place, especially considering that Ed Boon made promises to the contrary before release (around the same time he promised that the PC version would be "awesome").

On the other hand, unless they can get it out before SFV (which seems rather unlikely), I probably won't ever get around to picking up MKX again any time soon.

TaterTots

Banned
MKX is currently my main fighting game, so this is great news. I'm sure NRS has a long term plan with ESL since they're doing this. I'd say the super casual players have moved on.

Mr. X

Retention and online play must've dropped like crazy. With SFV around the corner and KI getting new stuff and growing, they want to stay around.

VariantX

Retention and online play must've dropped like crazy. With SFV around the corner and KI getting new stuff and growing, they want to stay around.

I wouldn't bet against this. It's simply not fun to play a game where you constantly have to worry about how much time it takes for the game to respond to your inputs. Turns the game completely into a guessing game instead of being able to properly react to things you could see coming a mile away.

I really don't understand how such a big budget high profile game could have launched with crap netcode when something like Rising Thunder has great online.

They're only doing this because they know that SF V is on it's way out & that they have to have good online play in order to stay relevant.

Mortal Kombat is a pretty big deal these days. It's probably bigger than Street Fighter.

LOL, you can't be serious.

Ont

I stopped playing this game solely because of the bad netcode. I might have to start playing again because the core game is great.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I stopped playing this on PC a month after release because the online servers went down every day and when they were up 99% of matches were too laggy to play. The game itself was really good which made it even more of a shame.

Has anyone received one?
Starting to think they only sent beta codes to the top online players/high visibility tournament pros, so as to make sure it was rigorous testing/word was being spread. That said, I still also really want to play some MKX with better netcode, even if I lose every game.

I received a code yesterday. It is MILES better than previous MKX online. They're also testing out balance changes. Word on the street is Kung Lao is nerfed and Possessed Kenshi and Commando Kano are buffed considerably?

Arttemis

I received a code yesterday. It is MILES better than previous MKX online. They're also testing out balance changes. Word on the street is Kung Lao is nerfed and Possessed Kenshi and Commando Kano are buffed considerably?

Well shit, I'll have to switch from Kung Lao to Liu Kang, then. Glad to hear the online plays well, though!

Well shit, I'll have to switch from Kung Lao to Liu Kang, then. Glad to hear the online plays well, though!
That was just what some of the pros were saying on Twitter the other day - though I wouldn't be surprised if, after the dust settles on ALL character balances, KL is still viable. I'm hearing good things about Hat Trick!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I played on PC as I didn't have a PS4 back then, but I'm interested in double dipping if the online is fixed, it's a shame I can't sign up for the beta on PS4. Buying the PC version continues to bite me in the ass, I really would have been better off burning that £30 :(

I really don't understand how such a big budget high profile game could have launched with crap netcode when something like Rising Thunder has great online.

the games sell by the truck load regardless, so why exactly would they put "good netcode" on the top of the list of priorities?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
the games sell by the truck load regardless, so why exactly would they put "good netcode" on the top of the list of priorities?

Because online is the single most important thing these days, unless you're a professional player which the majority of us aren't. The game died on PC for me and most people because the online never worked correctly and you can only spend so much time offline practising before you realise it's pointless if you can never test your skills out against anyone.

You'd also hope the devs would be interested in putting out the best product possible, but apparently that wasn't the case as the netcode we're getting is a million miles ahead of what we have and it should have been used from the very beginning. I guess better late than never applies though, as I expect the game to get a burst of life when XL hits.

Because online is the single most important thing these days, unless you're a professional player which the majority of us aren't. The game died on PC for me and most people because the online never worked correctly and you can only spend so much time offline practising before you realise it's pointless if you can never test your skills out against anyone.

You'd also hope the devs would be interested in putting out the best product possible, but apparently that wasn't the case as the netcode we're getting is a million miles ahead of what we have and it should have been used from the very beginning. I guess better late than never applies though, as I expect the game to get a burst of life when XL hits.

I wasn't defending it, I was explaining why it happens. It happens because there is no real consequence for it happening.

Top Bottom