• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X is selling "Easy Fatalities" for money [Also unlockable w/ Krypt]

E the Shaggy

So to clarify, does this mean you can make any 30 fatalities permanently "easy" to pull off or just be able to do easy fatalities 30 times?

Aaron D.

If you pay so you don't have to press left right left right X, you really need to question yourself as a human being.

You think so?

I'd imagine that some people play MK couch co-op style with casual gamers. It's a pretty ubiquitous IP that most would nostalgically remember whether they were ever good at the game or not.

Given that the game plays just fine as a button-masher, I could totally see someone wanting one-button Fatalities unlocked for fun casual gameplay sessions with friends or family.

The fact that the cheat unlock likely costs less than a cup of coffee also speaks to the fact that time is more valuable than money to some. Many adults have full-time jobs and family duties, so unlocking the cheat is prohibitive on a time : money continuum.

This is why that paid fast-track actually works out for most with busy lifestyles who might want the option without putting in all the legwork to unlock the feature. It's free for those with more time than money, and nominally priced for those on the flip side.

Seems like a win:win situation to me, but I understand that we like in a reactionary-outrage culture these days. I blame the 24hr. cable news outlets.

Sephzilla

My opinion is that if you want to waste money in order to bypass a 5 button input you can quickly look up in the move list..... more power to you, it's your money

Journey

Banned
so now we got... PAYTALITIES

thats-good.gif
[

vg260

Anyone who actually puts money down on this deserves to get their money jacked.

Still this should not exist. At all.

This is really the best response to this.

To me selling digital consumables just feels gross and more intentionally exploitative than just a fixed piece of content. People have wildly different views of DLC, and I'm generally more tolerant if work is seemingly involved in fixed DLC content creation, but digital consumables just cross a line for me. I feel like at that point the pub lost any sense of shame.

You think so?

I'd imagine that some people play MK couch co-op style with casual gamers. It's a pretty ubiquitous IP that most would nostalgically remember whether they were ever good at the game or not.

Given that the game plays just fine as a button-masher, I could totally see someone wanting one-button Fatalities unlocked for fun casual gameplay sessions with friends or family.

The fact that the cheat unlock likely costs less than a cup of coffee also speaks to the fact that time is more valuable than money to some. Many adults have full-time jobs and family duties, so unlocking the cheat is prohibitive on a time : money continuum.

This is why that paid fast-track actually works out for most with busy lifestyles who might want the option without putting in all the legwork to unlock the feature. It's free for those with more time than money, and nominally priced for those on the flip side.

Seems like a win:win situation to me, but I understand that we like in a reactionary-outrage culture these days. I blame the 24hr. cable news outlets.

If I understand correctly, it's not a cheat or one-time unlock, it's a consumable. If you buy 30, and do 30 easy fatalities, they're gone.
I see what you're saying, and get the time/money tradeoff for a single one-time unlock, but that doesn't seem to be how these work.

Arkeband

Banned
This is how I imagine the 'casual gameplay sessions' argument-scenario plays out:

Bobby: "Hey wanna play the new Mortal Kombat?"
Chuck: "Sure!"
<5 minutes later, "FINISH HIM!">
Bobby: "Check this out" -button input-
Chuck: "Gross! How'd you do that?"

CHOOSE YOUR ADVENTURE:

1)
Bobby: "Down-back-down-back, B."
Chuck: "Sweet, if I win I'm going to try that!"
Bobby: "It's different for every character, so look at your movelist first."

2)
Bobby: "I paid extra money so I only had to press one button! But only for the next five fatalities, then I have to pay more money again."
Chuck: "Wow Bobby, I don't think we can be friends anymore!"

/ENDSCENE

Aaron D.

If I understand correctly, it's not a cheat or one-time unlock, it's a consumable. If you buy 30, and do 30 easy fatalities, they're gone.

Dang. I need to read the fine-print more closely.

I thought it was a one-time, permanent unlock.

Yeah. That's pretty krap.

shandy706

Meh, fully optional purchases that can be had otherwise.

I'ts smart of them to put this stuff in.

Don't care as long as it's optional and changes nothing.

stn

Dudes, you can unlock these through NORMAL play. This is for those who don't want to bother grinding. Let's not over-react here.

Modern Gaming&#8482;
Sadly so true :'(

Dudes, you can unlock these through NORMAL play. This is for those who don't want to bother grinding. Let's not over-react here.

That's not how gaming should work. Making the progress boring and feel like grinding to force some people to buy these things is a bad practice. And even if you say me that you always have the choice then yeah the only choice is not to buy the game. I don't want to spend 5$ for sh*t like this and I don't want to play 5 hours grinding since it's not fun and 5 hours of my life have way more value than that.

I keep the MK X example because we're in this thread but all these sort of dlc is sh*t and should die. No it's not a viable alternative because IT BREAKS THE GAMES !!!

Skilletor

Chû Totoro;160074121 said:

That's not how gaming should work. Making the progress boring and feel like grinding to force some people to buy these things is a bad practice. And even if you say me that you always have the choice then yeah the only choice is not to buy the game. I don't want to spend 5$ for sh*t like this and I don't want to play 5 hours grinding since it's not fun and 5 hours of my life have way more value than that.

I keep the MK X example because we're in this thread but all these sort of dlc is sh*t and should die. No it's not a viable alternative because IT BREAKS THE GAMES !!!

Except there are some people, like me, who think that playing solo or against the AI IS a waste of time and can NEVER BE FUN.

There is literally no way to make playing against the AI fun for me.

Allforce

The fact that now the game was DESIGNED for a grind instead of just unlocking these things throws the whole "normal play" notion out the window. They're making it artificially difficult to obtain these perks in the hopes that X number of consumers will just throw their hands up in frustration and flat-out pay for them. That's shitty design.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Chû Totoro;160074121 said:

But...you don't grind for these. There's no reason to grind for these. It turns a 3-5 button input to a 1-3 button one. That is it. That is all these things do.

It's stupid to charge for them, stupid to buy them, and stupid to dismiss the game entirely because of them.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The fact that now the game was DESIGNED for a grind instead of just unlocking these things throws the whole "normal play" notion out the window. They're making it artificially difficult to obtain these perks in the hopes that X number of consumers will just flat-out pay for them. That's shitty design.

But there's nothing difficult about getting these tokens at all. There's no artificial difficulty.

Manu

The fact that now the game was DESIGNED for a grind instead of just unlocking these things throws the whole "normal play" notion out the window. They're making it artificially difficult to obtain these perks in the hopes that X number of consumers will just flat-out pay for them. That's shitty design.

But it wasn't. What are you talking about.

Skilletor

The fact that now the game was DESIGNED for a grind instead of just unlocking these things throws the whole "normal play" notion out the window. They're making it artificially difficult to obtain these perks in the hopes that X number of consumers will just throw their hands up in frustration and flat-out pay for them. That's shitty design.

It wasn't DESIGNED this way. You don't need this bullshit. It tells you how to do every fatality in the menu.

This isn't a "perk." It's a shortcut for something that is already easy to do.

vg260

It's stupid to charge for them, stupid to buy them, and stupid to dismiss the game entirely because of them.

Yeah, but to me it just makes them look disrespectful to their audience to try to take advantage of the perhaps not-so-informed portion.

It's a stupid thing to spend money on, I mean how lazy do you have to be for this? damn.

It's also not really something people should be boycotting the game for.....

Why Capcom jokes and not Arc System Works jokes? They're way more greedy than Capcom. Charge $8 per character, then release an updated version which can't just be patched into the old version so you have to buy the disc and oh yeah, it has those characters you bought 3 months ago. Also, expensive system voice and color palette DLC.

Dremark

Banned
let's be real if you knew your opponent just spent $$ to perform a fatality wouldn't you feel better about it and not worse

If I lost to someone who is so inept at the game they'd have to pay money to use a fatality rather than be physically capable of doing it on their own I'd feel like I was a trash player.

I think the announcer should call them Payalities as mentioned earlier so people can use them to disrespect the people they beat, lol.

Allforce

It wasn't DESIGNED this way. You don't need this bullshit. It tells you how to do every fatality in the menu.

This isn't a "perk." It's a shortcut for something that is already easy to do.

Literally the definition of a perk. Like someone posted above, they reduced the payout of coins in a day one patch in order to slow down your progress in obtaining the perk. It's a design choice.

I don't care if you buy them or not but it's a cash grab by calculated design.

hbkdx12

The only real thing that bugs me about this is that fact that they're consumables rather than just unlocking the ability to have easy fatalities period.

Other than that i don't find anything offensive about it

-Its not giving anyone a competitive edge
-You can still earn easy fatalities in the game if you don't want to go this route of paying for it
-Im surprised they don't let you buy skip fight tokens which are also in the game

People are generally upset on principle and i understand it but it's 2015 and with the ever increasing popularity of mobile games, it's clear to see that people have more money than time. NRS/Warner Bros aren't the first to do it nor will the be the last.

At the very least people should be thankful it doesn't even really affect gameplay.

E92 M3

The only real thing that bugs me about this is that fact that they're consumables rather than just unlocking the ability to have easy fatalities period.

Other than that i don't find anything offensive about it

-Its not giving anyone a competitive edge
-You can still earn easy fatalities in the game if you don't want to go this route of paying for it
-Im surprised they don't let you buy skip fight tokens which are also in the game

People are generally upset on principle and i understand it but it's 2015 and with the ever increasing popularity of mobile games, it's clear to see that people have more money than time. NRS/Warner Bros aren't the first to do it nor will the be the last.

At the very least people should be thankful it doesn't even really affect gameplay.

It's been said many times and seems to be ignored, but they LOWERED the amount of Koins you get for various activities. How does not seem like something down to push for microtransactions? Same shit happened in Forza.

Dremark

Banned
Why Capcom jokes and not Arc System Works jokes? They're way more greedy than Capcom. Charge $8 per character, then release an updated version which can't just be patched into the old version so you have to buy the disc and oh yeah, it has those characters you bought 3 months ago. Also, expensive system voice and color palette DLC.

You think it would be worse if the new version made new players rebuy the dlc characters like Capcom did in UMVC3 which they released 8 months later? It's also a handful of characters, often developed after for the arcade, not a large chunk of the roster locked on disc like SFxT was.

They also gave the Continuum Shift 2 upgrade for free but people seem to forget about that. Ultimately people who play fighting games a lot want new versions after a while. Arcsys puts out a new version around the timeframe I want them to and the system changes are usually pretty substantial.

If it's not worth it to you don't buy it, it's not like it's splitting the playerbase of a game that been dead for months at that point anyway.

Kodaman

The problem that I see with this, is that we all are being witness of how microtransactions are getting worse little by little... it's kind of worrisome.
So yes, this things are optional.. for now.

This is near the bottom of the list of gross fighting game DLC practices to get angry about. Surprised? Sure, but nothing worth canceling an order over, unless you're the type of person to be overreactive to every possibly negative thing you might hear about a game you're excited for.

Is this F2P? No?
Well in that case... Not buying, they can keep their micro-transactions.
Something tells me you just read the title and had no real intention of purchasing the game anyway.

This has been said 100x in this thread, but these transactions will have literally no effect on how you will play the game.

Magwik

Banned
It's been said many times and seems to be ignored, but they LOWERED the amount of Koins you get for various activities. How does not seem like something down to push for microtransactions? Same shit happened in Forza.
Or maybe they lowered it because they had thought it was simply too easy to obtain them and whatever else you can buy with Koins in the first place. Reducing a payout doesn't automatically mean they are trying to sell you shit. Is it stupid? Sure, but let's not pretend like they are sitting there waiting for you bleed money.
Most people in this thread see the word microtransaction and jump the every conclusion possible at how its destroying the game and the gaming industry, it's just sad and annoying
This is one of the cases where it's done well

hbkdx12

I understand that i agree that it's shitty but in relation to these easy fatalities (which i'm addressing as a slightly different issue) what does that even really effect?

v0yce

The lack of perspective here is amazing.

But there's nothing difficult about getting these tokens at all. There's no artificial difficulty.

But it wasn't. What are you talking about.

Did you guys miss the part about the day one patch making it harder to get Koins?

Why do you think they did that?

lol this went up literally seconds before my thread about it.

regardless of that, it is a very shitty practice. Kind of scumbaggy they just put it out there without even notifying anyone about it.

Will wait for a bit before purchasing the game now.

What about waiting is gonna change anything?

It's not like you cant do fatalities at all

E92 M3

Or maybe they lowered it because they had thought it was simply too easy to obtain them and whatever else you can buy with Koins in the first place. Reducing a payout doesn't automatically mean they are trying to sell you shit. Is it stupid? Sure, but let's not pretend like they are sitting there waiting for you bleed money.
Most people in this thread see the word microtransaction and jump the every conclusion possible at how its destroying the game and the gaming industry, it's just sad and annoying
This is one of the cases where it's done well

It just seems very similar to Forza where the progression was designed with microtransactions in mind. It's just the nature of the beat. If it's there, they want you to buy it and they will subtly push their audience to think about it.

I understand that i agree that it's shitty but in relation to these easy fatalities (which i'm addressing as a slightly different issue) what does that even really effect?

In a vacuum, easy fatalities are no big deal; I just can't help but look at the big picture.

Top Bottom