• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X is selling "Easy Fatalities" for money [Also unlockable w/ Krypt]

Fbh

Meh, if you can buy them from the Krypt I don't see the issue.

Plus, it's not like they have an actual effect on the gameplay. If you are seeing a Fatality you either already won or lost, if the ending video began with the press of a button or with a simple input command really doesn't make a difference.

Plus, it's not like they have an actual effect on the gameplay. If you are seeing a Fatality you either already won or lost, if the ending video began with the press of a button or with a simple input command really doesn't make a difference.

Finally someone in this thread with common sense.

This is completely different than what is going on. One-Hit kills and temporary invincibility harm the game. They impact the way the game is played. Fatalities do not. They are only performed after you have already won the match, and therefore do not impact the game in the slightest.

If you want a case in the same league of easy fatalities, then let's say the token blocks all fatalities instead or allows people to counter fatalities with their own fatalities instead, with the same conditions--its optional and people argue because it's its optional people shouldn't complain about it.

But that point of contention is largely ignoring the original intention of my argument in the previous post-a feature's status of being immune to critique based on its ability to "harm the game" largely depends on the individual. That's the entire point.

AmuroChan

I'm not upset by it...just more scratching my head regarding who would actually buy this? The inputs for fatalities are pretty simple. If you're coming to a fighting game, even as a beginner, you're probably aware you have to put in some button combos. I'd love to get financials one day on how many people purchased this stuff. Would never happen, but I'm curious about the results.

The same people who buy outfits for their avatars.

EA announced last year that they made $1 billion on micro-transactions and add-on content.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-hoping-its-add-on-content-sales-will-reach-1-bi/1100-6421932/

If you want a case in the same league of easy fatalities, then let's say the token blocks all fatalities instead or allows people to do easy combos in general (similar to easy fatalities because it allows an easier method to do those inputs), with the same conditions--its optional and people argue because it's its optional people shouldn't complain about it.

But that point of contention is largely ignoring the original intention of my argument in the previous post-a feature's status of being immune to critique based on its ability to "harm the game" largely depends on the individual. That's the entire point.

I would be fine if the token Blocked fatalties, because once again, fatalities do not actually mess with the gameplay at all. They are an optional thing you can do after you beat an opponent. However, making combos easier does harm the gameplay, and i would complain about that because it damages the game if they were in. If the micro transaction DLC is cosmetic only(and in this case it is), then i don't see why people are complaining about it. Especially since these same tokens can be unlocked via In Game Currency.

I would be fine if the token Blocked fatalties, because once again, fatalities do not actually mess with the gameplay at all. They are an optional thing you can do after you beat an opponent. However, making combos easier does harm the gameplay, and i would complain about that because it damages the game if they were in. If the micro transaction DLC is cosmetic only(and in this case it is), then i don't see why people are complaining about it. Especially since these same tokens can be unlocked via In Game Currency.

I went back and edited the latter part, but I guess with this post it's too late for that now.

Anyway, from the looks of things it seems you don't really agree with what I'm saying, so I'll just agree to disagree.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Now that! Is something to complain about. Has anyone tweet Ed?
IMO It makes sense. It just makes the game have more replay value and Ed Boon isn't necessarily going to have a lot of say in that. He'll watch for major changes, but he's still under his publisher. They also want players on board after release. If you aren't paying $20 you're possibly dedicating more time to the game.

Wavebossa

Exactly, the false outrage is strong in this thread. I for one would NEVER buy something like that, but if others want to, more power to you.

I mean come on, this would be like Nintendo selling custom (unlockable in game) post-win celebrations for smash bros. Does not affect gameplay whatsoever. If you buy it, good for you. But to be outraged about it is just silly.

TL;DR, it doesn't affect unless you let it.

I , hope some people with negative input to the OP, understand that is a option for the LAZY ASSES!!!

That wants to waste,money.

Yes,they can be unlocked from the Krypt and done from actually playing the game.

Wavebossa

I , hope some people with negative input to the OP, understand that is a option for the LAZY ASSES!!!

Yes,they can be unlocked from the Krypt and done from actually playing the game.

Exactly, the truth is there always be people who will pay for content, completion. If every single game that was released in the past 5 years had a $20 option to have the game fully completed, everything unlocked, you better believe tons of people will jump on that.

farisr

Sure, but now if tweaks like this are done, it becomes BS. "Oh shit, we didn't make it hard enough to get gold, so people are not gonna bother paying us for it, let's make it harder to get"

Wonderful : Mortal Kombat X Day One Update Makes Gold Harder to Get in Order to Boost Paid DLC Sales : http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...es-gold-harder-get-order-boost-paid-dlc-sales

Going Evolve's Route?

wildfire

Banned
From a game design perspective, the entire point of having a fatality is to reward people who become invested in the game with the ability to perform a flashy taunt. While the real inputs aren't necessarily complex, they're a way of incentivising the kind of dedication to the title that would hypothetically make it an evergreen like other major fighters.

When considered from that angle, this implementation is probably even worse for long-term engagement than a straight up $5 per character to unlock fatalities - that could be spun as "show off your dedication to your main with special cosmetic finishers" at least. This is just further ceding of an already-shaky grip on the game-as-in-game ground in favor of a monetization strategy that focuses on the digital entertainment product segment that's falling out of popularity with modern teens and being gutted even among its identity-driven older audience by the simple alternative of Youtube.

Five pages but finally someone actually provided an explanation.

This is fine to me.

I agree that it does devalue the sense of accomplishment of doing a fatality but I would have to point out the act of doing the inputs correctly isn't important to everyone. Some people just want the implied insult to be made plain as day so allowing people to remove that barrier increases their enjoyment.

We aren't a single minded entity and you will have to prove that this is statistically net negative instead of a net positive or neutral.

The only problem I have with this DLC is the price. I don't know how anyone who purchases this couldn't feel ripped off. I've paid less for Andriod games that are a lot more fun than 30 easy fatalities.

megalowho

Monetizing cheat codes is not unheard of but it is scummy. Implementing F2P design elements like shortcut consumables for real money in full price games, also scummy.

It may not affect people inclined to ignore these options personally but it's a disappointing trend all the same. F2P feature creep in non-F2P games will only get more insidious and egregious as publishers test the limits of acceptable monetization on top of the retail price, there's no going back. Something to consider when things like this pop up and are quickly rationalized as not a big deal.

BibiMaghoo

Sure, but now if tweaks like this are done, it becomes BS. "Oh shit, we didn't make it hard enough to get gold, so people are not gonna bother paying us for it, let's make it harder to get"

That's the most cynical view, even if it may be correct. There are other reasons it may be the case. Aside from longevity, it may be that the original value was for testing and slipped through, so they day-1 patched it. It may also be for genuine balancing of the game, an alteration made with good intent.

Wavebossa

Monetizing cheat codes is not unheard of but it is scummy. Implementing F2P design elements like shortcut consumables for real money in full price games, also scummy.

It may not affect people inclined to ignore these options personally but it's a disappointing trend all the same. F2P feature creep in non-F2P games will only get more insidious and egregious as publishers test the limits of acceptable monetization on top of the retail price, there's no going back. Something to consider when things like this pop up and are quickly rationalized as not a big deal.

With comments like this, I am curious. Who are you disappointed in more, the people who purchase this, or the people who created this option?

Because there are literally people who want this option. And they are providing this option for those people. And for those who want nothing to do with this, it really doesn't affect you...

megalowho

With comments like this, I am curious. Who are you disappointed in more, the people who purchase this, or the people who created this option?
The onus is on the devs and publishers that choose implement F2P mechanics in retail products. They're the folks that have to balance design decisions that can potentially feed into additional monetization or consumables.

It's a catch-22 though, as the easy response is they wouldn't offer them if people didn't buy them. Saw you added that argument as well. There's people that would pay a few bucks to skip a level or boss they can't beat the first time out though, so if we're going down that route then devs might as well microtransaction the entire game.

It's a delicate balance between providing choice and whale hunting. I see stuff like this somewhere in the middle.. not the worst microtransaction that's happened, but an example of where we're headed as the line for acceptable monetization after the point of purchase keeps getting tested.

Wavebossa

The onus is on the devs and publishers that choose implement F2P mechanics in retail products. They're the folks that have to balance design decisions that can potentially feed into additional monetization or consumables.

It's a catch-22 though, as the easy response is they wouldn't offer them if people didn't buy them. Saw you added that argument as well. There's people that would pay a few bucks to skip a level or boss they can't beat the first time out though, so if we're going down that route then devs might as well microtransaction the entire game.

It's a delicate balance between providing choice and whale hunting. I see stuff like this somewhere in the middle.. not the worst microtransaction that's happened, but an example of where we're headed as the line for acceptable monetization after the point of purchase keeps getting tested.

Ok, I can see what you are saying and where you are coming from. Your concern is not so much with this, but the path that this could potentially lead to. I get that. I guess the only thing that gets me is "Will this affect my gaemplay?". You say it is a delicate balance. Well, I agree that it is a balance, I just don't see it as that delicate. My line is the following:

1) Does this affect my gameplay? (Yes or No)
2) Do I need this to enjoy the game as originally intended? (Yes or No)
3) Will others who use/purchase this service have an advantage versus me? (Yes or No)

If the answers to those are No, No, No. Then I cant bring myself to be outraged about this.

rashbeep

Banned

True, but it's rather sad/embarrassing that something like this needs to exists.

We are almost at the verge of selling customers games that play themselves.

firelogic

True, but it's rather sad/embarrassing that something like this needs to exists.

We are almost at the verge of selling customers games that play themselves.

If that's what someone wants, then that's fine. It's how they want to experience the game. It's not up to you to pass judgment on them. This is a complete non-issue. It doesn't change the balance of the game. It doesn't give someone who pays for it an advantage, other than they can do a fatality on you easily. Well, guess what? You already lost if you're at that stage anyway.

If someone wants to pay $5 and enjoy themselves doing easy fatalities, more power to them. As a company in the business of making money, good on them for finding any and every route possible to make money.

Oh and most importantly, it's optional. You want it? Pay for it. Don't want it? Don't pay for it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this in any sense. You can't possibly convince me otherwise.

You know, and Ill probably catch hell for this, but for me.... I kinda want to buy this....

Why, God, why? Well, I have friends who are terrible at video games, but want to play this very badly, played the last one a lot, and are terrible at doing inputs. They want to see and do all the fatalities. If I can buy something for $5 bucks that makes the nights more enjoyable for my group of friends who just want to see some fatalities and fight without accessing the menu every few moments while getting a few drinks in them.... I dont see whats so monstrous about it.

It doesn't affect anyone else. It doesn't control, in any bit, who wins or loses. IMO, this is even less offensive than costume DLC, which I dont find offensive at all. Probably just part of the problem, I am! Haha

Zing

Banned
I remember when you could just put in a code and use one button fatalities, those were the days
I actually found it odd that "easy fatalities" weren't just a single button press. It's hilarious that people are paying to just eliminate one or two inputs.

Palpable

Why the shit can't I do Ermac's fatality? Down, Up, Back doesn't fucking work. Not even in the fatality practice arena.

88Titan88

It doesn't affect gameplay directly, so I see no problem in selling the easy fatality option, but not being permanent is bullshitty and too mobile-y for my tastes.

We have a thread on that Krypt thing. It's not true as far as we can tell after actually testing before/after patch. The confusion stems from the fact that the second time through the story or whatever, you don't earn as much as the first time you do it.

Top Bottom