• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X is selling "Easy Fatalities" for money [Also unlockable w/ Krypt]

stn

Just to reply to all those who quoted me above. Yes, this is a cheap ploy by them to frustrate you into paying for unlocks. The point still stands that everything can be unlocked normally. You have the ability to choose whether you want to grind or not. And since when is grinding a new concept in gaming? Mostly every game I play has its length artificially enhanced by way of repetitive tasks, achievements, and other things.

Manu

It just seems very similar to Forza where the progression was designed with microtransactions in mind. It's just the nature of the beat. If it's there, they want you to buy it and they will subtly push their audience to think about it.

No, it wasn't, because koins don't unlock just the easy fatality tokens, they unlock EVERYTHING in the krypt.

I've been playing the game since saturday and I've unlocked maybe half of the rewards in the krypt. And some rewards go by 10k koins a piece. At this rate I'll unlock everything by next week by playing the game.

Kinyou

It just seems very similar to Forza where the progression was designed with microtransactions in mind. It's just the nature of the beat. If it's there, they want you to buy it and they will subtly push their audience to think about it.
It's hard for me to form an opinion on it without having played the game. I remember how people got mad over Dead Space 3's microtransactions and yet I had zero problem playing through it without any form of grinding.

It always depends on the actual design of the game. Some are designed with microtransactions in mind, other's aren't. There isn't really a definitive way to tell without actually playing it.

That's really gross! Not only is it trying to leverage microtransactions onto a $60 game which is absolutely inexcusable, but it's also putting control options behind a paywall. Can you imagine if you had to pay an additional fee to play with a fight stick, for instance? Or to remap your button layout?

Just to reply to all those who quoted me above. Yes, this is a cheap ploy by them to frustrate you into paying for unlocks. The point still stands that everything can be unlocked normally. You have the ability to choose whether you want to grind or not. And since when is grinding a new concept in gaming? Mostly every game I play has its length artificially enhanced by way of repetitive tasks, achievements, and other things.
And the moment that the developer puts out an option to either buy content or unlock it is the moment said unlocking will be made worse and worse. Like every F2P game, except in this case you're paying $60 up front. It's absolutely disgusting and should not be supported in any situation.

woopWOOP

Because nothing is more sad to watch than

"FINISH HIM!"

*crouch*

*crouch*

*tiny kick*

"CASSIE CAGE WINS!"
Story of my life :[

This seems such an... odd thing to pay money for though. I mean, if you can't do it but you really want to show off during online matches, good for you I guess?

hbkdx12

In a vacuum, easy fatalities are no big deal; I just can't help but look at the big picture.

I'm not disputing the idea that more often than not, microtransactions are a shitty thing to implement and can be pretty detrimental but have they offered any other microtransactions other than these easy fatalities?

People seem more upset about this than the goro pre-order which seems like the worst offender of the two

At this point you have to be willfully obtuse to ignore all the evidence of what can go really really bad when there's a financial incentive to creating a grind.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This is definitely targeted towards kids. Unable to pull off a fatality, think they're really cool, have no care about where they spend their money.

Over my life, I've come to terms that I'll never pull off a fatality so this means nothing to me.

Magwik

Banned
I'm not disputing the idea that more often than not, microtransactions are a shitty thing to implement and can be pretty detrimental but have they offered any other microtransactions other than these easy fatalities?

People seem more upset about this this the goro pre-order which seems like the worst offender of the two
Because microtransaction are literally hitler

Kinyou

Story of my life :[

This seems such an... odd thing to pay money for though. I mean, if you can't do it but you really want to show off during online matches, good for you I guess?
I wonder how many will actually buy it. It does seem very oddly specific.

Something like "Buy 10.000 koins for $1" would make more sense (but also open a bigger rabbit hole)

How about I dont buy this game at all and save all of my money instead.

How about you just learn a characters fatality and save all your money instead...

It would be cool his they added a coin sound effect or show a coin popping out from the character when a player would use a purchased fatality, so everyone in a match can laugh their asses off.

stn

At this point you have to be willfully obtuse to ignore all the evidence of what can go really really bad when there's a financial incentive to creating a grind.
I'm not being willfully obtuse because I already stated that I'm aware its a cheap ploy to frustrate gamers into buying unlocks. And I also don't plan to support it because I'd rather just... play the game.

Some people here seem to think that I'm in support of this new model. I'm not. All I've stated is the facts. You can still play the game normally and unlock everything. And I doubt that'll take more than 15-20 hours.

If they decide to artificially lengthen grinding in order to make the DLC more appealing, its bad. If they leave the game as is and merely offer this for players who want all the unlocks immediately, then its okay. Not preferable but still okay.

I have zero problem with the monetization of cheat codes as long as they don't involve exclusive content.

edit: Wait, fatalities are locked in this game? I thought the DLC was just to make the button combination easier.

The micro-transactions are unfortunate though. It would be easier to swallow if they were offering all future DLC free of cost, because the microtrans would most likely fund the creation of future content. This would make it so everyone with the game could always have the same updated content. Though I do see that they are also charging for a season pass so......yeah, kind of greedy.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have zero problem with the monetization of cheat codes as long as they don't involve exclusive content.

Sure, plus it's not even a "cheat" of any kind and can be unlocked in-game anyway. I think the prices on their "DLC" unlock keys are high, but nobody has to buy them.

E92 M3

No, it wasn't, because koins don't unlock just the easy fatality tokens, they unlock EVERYTHING in the krypt.

I've been playing the game since saturday and I've unlocked maybe half of the rewards in the krypt. And some rewards go by 10k koins a piece. At this rate I'll unlock everything by next week by playing the game.

Well, that's nice to hear. How many hours have you played?

It's hard for me to form an opinion on it without having played the game. I remember how people got mad over Dead Space 3's microtransactions and yet I had zero problem playing through it without any form of grinding.

It always depends on the actual design of the game. Some are designed with microtransactions in mind, other's aren't. There isn't really a definitive way to tell without actually playing it.

That's true, but it does put a sour taste in my mouth.

People seem more upset about this than the goro pre-order which seems like the worst offender of the two

Fortunately, I don't care about Goro so it hasn't been bothering me too much. It is obnoxious to put it on the character screen, though.

Petrae

I admit to being one of the people who used Easy Fatalities cheats in earlier MK console releases because I simply cannot pull off these moves in the window allotted and wanted to see them all for myself. This was back when cheats weren't paid DLC, of course. Now, with that curiosity out of reach without grinding or paying up, there's less of a reason for me to buy the base game. Maybe I'll bite on a Komplete Edition for $20-$30 in another 18 months, but grinding in a fighting game to unlock content and occasional Easy Fatality use really isn't my thing.

I miss having (free) cheats like we used to have, though.

Manu

Maybe I'll bite on a Komplete Edition for $20-$30 in another 18 months, but grinding in a fighting game to unlock content and occasional Easy Fatality use really isn't my thing.

I miss having (free) cheats like we used to have, though.

So you're against the microtransactions, but you don't want to grind for free unlocks either?

Am i the only one who doesn't see a problem with this? Its not like theyre selling health upgrades or something that actually effects the match itself. Theyre selling tokens to be able to do Fatalities with a single button instead of the actual input. You don't need these to do fatalities at all, only need them if you want to do a fatality with 1 button. These are also unlockable via the krypt. If people want to spend money on this let them, it doesnt effect you in any way whatsoever. People will cry over everything.

Really don't see the point of "Easy Fatalities" in general, considering that putting in the correct combo inputs for fatalities is part of the appeal of fatalities in general. Imagine if Smash Bros. had "Easy Final Smashes" that when bought for a certain player would immediately break a Smash Ball for them the next time it appeared when they were playing a match...making something easier to perform does not inherently make it more fun.

Whatever, at least it isn't the only way to perform fatalities, good lord that would be even worse.

This is definitely targeted towards kids. Unable to pull off a fatality, think they're really cool, have no care about where they spend their money.

Over my life, I've come to terms that I'll never pull off a fatality so this means nothing to me.

This would make sense if the videogame wasn't rated M for Mature and didn't belong to a videogame series notorious for its broadly mature content (excessive violence). Clueless people who buy any game of the sort for their children without paying attention to the games' ratings notwithstanding.

Am i the only one who doesn't see a problem with this? Its not like theyre selling health upgrades or something that actually effects the match itself. Theyre selling tokens to be able to do Fatalities with a single button instead of the actual input. You don't need these to do fatalities at all, only need them if you want to do a fatality with 1 button. These are also unlockable via the krypt. If people want to spend money on this let them, it doesnt effect you in any way whatsoever. People will cry over everything.

I don't really care for this either way but the assertion that any feature or function is void of criticism on the sole basis of it not being required / optional is ludicrous.

I don't really care for this either way but the assertion that any feature or function is void of criticism on the sole basis of it not being required / optional is ludicrous.

The fact that its optional is the whole reason why no one should care about it. It literally does not harm the game in any way whatsoever, especially since these can be unlocked in game via in game currency.

KissVibes

Banned
Seems pretty harmless to me. Also seems that most people in this thread that are outraged by this don't really understand Mortal Kombat and think this is a player advantage thing. It isn't. Fatalities are just fun cosmetic endings to fights. As they have always been.

edit: Wait, fatalities are locked in this game? I thought the DLC was just to make the button combination easier.

Everyone starts with a fatality. You can unlock a second one by going in the Krypt and spending Kombat Koins. Or if you already know the *****, you can just do it. You earn Koins by playing the game. Mortal Kombat 9 was the same way, and it isn't like the grind is impossibly steep for said Koins. You literally just play the game. The easy fatalities makes doing the fatality easier. That's it. You can also unlock these in the Krypt; but they're one time use.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder how many will actually buy it. It does seem very oddly specific.

Something like "Buy 10.000 koins for $1" would make more sense (but also open a bigger rabbit hole)

100 $4.99 packs is $499, which would give you 3000 tokens at 30 tokens a piece. That's quite a lot.

Who is going to do that? I'd like to see their charts once it's all said and done.

The fact that its optional is the whole reason why no one should care about it. It literally does not harm the game in any way whatsoever, especially since these can be unlocked in game via in game currency.

Whether a feature's status of criticism being invalid on whether or not it "harms the game", I'd argue that can largely depend on the individual. Let's say the token --still operating under the same rules-- allowed something like one-hit kills or temporary invincibility; and people argued that such functions didn't harm the game and thus shouldn't be criticized. Would you still agree?

Yes, an M rated game where you can rip open organs is totally for kids.
Let's be real, it is for lazy people with too much money.

I remember on Mortal Kombat Trilogy on Playstation ONE, you just held down all the shoulder buttons, and pressed up on the D Pad, BOOM, it unlocked a secret menu where you could turn on 1 button fatalities. Simple, easy, and FREE!

Ferrio

Banned
Whether a feature's status of criticism being invalid on whether or not it "harms the game", I'd argue that can largely depend on the individual. Let's say the token --still operating under the same rules-- allowed something like one-hit kills or temporary invincibility; and people argued that such functions didn't harm the game and thus shouldn't be criticized. Would you still agree?

What if it caused other people's consoles to blow up? Holy shit!

I honestly don't see the outrage, and I'm usually very outspoken about DLC shit like this. The DLC characters are far more harmful than this in my opinion and coming up with theoretical situations in order to be outraged seems silly.

Really don't see the point of "Easy Fatalities" in general, considering that putting in the correct combo inputs for fatalities is part of the appeal of fatalities in general. Imagine if Smash Bros. had "Easy Final Smashes" that when bought for a certain player would immediately break a Smash Ball for them the next time it appeared when they were playing a match...making something easier to perform does not inherently make it more fun.

Whatever, at least it isn't the only way to perform fatalities, good lord that would be even worse.

This would make sense if the videogame wasn't rated M for Mature and didn't belong to a videogame series notorious for its broadly mature content (excessive violence). Clueless people who buy any game of the sort for their children without paying attention to the games' ratings notwithstanding.

kids have been playing MK titles since my day.

also the common occurrence of kids in CoD titles shows that ratings matter little sometimes.

hell, my own students (a large portion of which have been clamoring the release date and some even have artwork of mkx on their notebooks) show that the impressionable crowd is still a sizeable one.

Putting cheats behind a paywall sounds like good business to me. Not how the game is intended to be played but an added feature. Would you be more upset if they didn't have cheats at all?

What if it caused other people's consoles to blow up? Holy shit!

I honestly don't see the outrage, and I'm usually very outspoken about DLC shit like this. The DLC characters are far more harmful than this in my opinion and coming up with theoretical situations in order to be outraged seems silly.

Like I said I'm don't really care about the issue itself, I mostly took umbrage with the "its optional, and therefore people shouldn't complain" argument that was being pushed.

Negaduck

If this sort of thing upsets you thats because its not targeted towards you. Its targeted towards the casual crowd that has more money than time (time it takes to learn a fatality) when they could just press one button and have something cool happen.

I personally could care less because I'm not going to buy it and don't feel the need to worry about something that does not affect gameplay directly (it can also be unlocked in the krypt).

Its the spot games are in now. I don't like it but there is no point in getting mad at it. Just don't support those practices, they won't make money and hopefully don't do it going forward (although I'm sure there will be a decent amount of casual players that will buy it)

Charging for cheat codes is a bummer.

Selling them as consumables instead of unlocks is scummy.

Designed grind to incentivize IAP is a deal-breaker, but that's a matter of degrees. Games have always had some grinding, so the question is "how much is too much?".

A patch to increase the required grinding is a huge red flag. No buy.

jond76

Banned
I got a couple of these koins (heh) in the Krypt but there's no real prompt on how/when to use them. Also, I've noticed that some fatalities are pretty easy to perform. So, eh, whatever.

kids have been playing MK titles since my day.

also the common occurrence of kids in CoD titles shows that ratings matter little sometimes.

hell, my own students (a large portion of which have been clamoring the release date and some even have artwork of mkx on their notebooks) show that the impressionable crowd is still a sizeable one.
While we know this to be true, the game wasn't designed to appeal to them.
It just happens they want to be adults and enjoy adult content.

It is like adults getting mad at the Super Guide in Nintendo games. Did you forget the game was designed with kids in mind?

That's really gross! Not only is it trying to leverage microtransactions onto a $60 game which is absolutely inexcusable, but it's also putting control options behind a paywall. Can you imagine if you had to pay an additional fee to play with a fight stick, for instance? Or to remap your button layout?
Except this situation isn't anything like you described. Please read the goddamned title.
Charging for cheat codes is a bummer.

Selling them as consumables instead of unlocks is scummy.

They ARE unlocks. READ THE GODDAMNED TITLE.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

If comically ripping someone into pieces isn't for kids then I just don't know who it's for.

0I0j1oT.jpg

Rated M for Mature.

Edit:

There was even a Saturday morning cartoon.

zcf8Bsx.jpg

TheGrue

I'm not upset by it...just more scratching my head regarding who would actually buy this? The inputs for fatalities are pretty simple. If you're coming to a fighting game, even as a beginner, you're probably aware you have to put in some button combos. I'd love to get financials one day on how many people purchased this stuff. Would never happen, but I'm curious about the results.

You'd imagine they must have gotten requests for such a thing if they think there's a market for it?

This is completely different than what is going on. One-Hit kills and temporary invincibility harm the game. They impact the way the game is played. Fatalities do not. They are only performed after you have already won the match, and therefore do not impact the game in the slightest.

Top Bottom