• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X is selling "Easy Fatalities" for money [Also unlockable w/ Krypt]

Hopeford

Honestly, I can't even muster up any fake outrage at this. That's so outright shameless I'm actually impressed.

Plus jokes aside this doesn't affect customers in any way. It's just a cheap little thing for people who feel like spending some money on it. Like, I'm not one of those people, but I can still do fatalities the normal way so...it doesn't affect me. I mean I suppose it's "greedy" in a way, but they are a business and this isn't something vital that they are locking out of the game so...I'm okay with this?

I don't know, I just honestly can't be offended by this in any way. I mean you can argue it's bad precedent for the future or something, but by itself I just don't see the big deal. It's something I won't use, but that others might feel is worth the price. It's...well, it's a minor feature locked behind a paygate. I'm perfectly okay with that.

cue the false outrage for

1. something you don't want to buy anyways
2. something that doesn't inhibit you (i.e.a powerup)
3. something that is unlockable in the game

As someone who thinks DLC hate is often overblown, I think this is a completely simplistic view of a bigger issue.

Eh, as long as you can still do those fatalities yourself without paying, I don't really see any problems with this. This does not affect competitive gameplay at all.

Tigress

Don't like it ... don't buy the easy fatalities ... simple.

Or better yet... don't buy the game. They won't stop doing crap like this if it loses them nothing by trying. But if it loses them game sales then they will lose stuff by trying this stuff and it will make them think harder on if it is worth it or not.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so now we got... PAYTALITIES
this would be funny if it actually said that. but to the other guy only in online matches, so he knew you were a paying loser. the controversy and advertising it would generate would be worth it

Sou Da

Oh, ok. Carry on then!

It's not consumable... it's konsumable!

I will say that although I think it's slimy and it's just more evidence of WB trying it's hardest to become EA, I personally find it hard to get mad at this because the fatality inputs haven't been made any harder to do to squeeze money out of people.

Which would have been the more obvious, disgusting route.

Paz

Locking up Goro? That was fucked up.

This? It's nothing.

Prolly the best example I've ever seen why DLC has been a slippery slope issue.

It has gotten so bad the only thing that you can complain about is whole characters being locked behind DLC/Pre Order bonuses.

Don't waste your time. People like to make things seem so much worse than they really are. If there's something to complain about, no matter how miniscule, they'll complain about it.

i know. But it had to be said. Ive put in about 30 hours with the game so far and it's so much fun! i honestly cant get over the 3 different alts per character thing - they change each character a lot. 75 characters to go through - you will earn WAY more of these consumables than you honestly will ever need.

They are VERY generous with points as well - you earn heaps during regular battles plus some from factions at the end of the week.

Krypt is fun to explore as well - there's nothing to worry about. Those complaining seem to either not have the game, or not be interested in the game at all.

Kriken

"Hey consumer, you wanna do that awesome Fatality but don't want to put in the time to pause the game and look up how to do it? Now you can press X and look awesome for the low, low price of $5"

We are now ok with companies selling stuff that exists in game already, even worse, a consumable in this case.

Can't wait for Bloodborne 2. Buy 30 blood vials for only $5. I mean you could go farm them yourself so it's fine :)
Who knew that would affect how you personally play the game. *shrug*

This thread is the perfect example of the following:

"oh this developer is great so they get a pass on this stuff."

"oh it doesnt affect me, not an issue."

"oh this game is amazing, so it gets a pass"

The hypocrisy in this thread.

Ok, I'm probably out of the loop of MK for a long time but am I hearing this right? You unlock moves as you play the game? Is this for real?

There really is no issue with selling shortcuts like this.

lol!

Why don't you try and explain how it is a big deal?

Toxi

Banned
We are now ok with companies selling stuff that exists in game already, even worse, a consumable in this case.

Can't wait for Bloodborne 2. Buy 30 blood vials for only $5. I mean you could go farm them yourself so it's fine :)
This is more like unlocking every gesture for $5, since Fatalities are purely aesthetic.

mdubs

Banned
Let's stop these monsters everyone! Make sure to tweet #NOPAYTALITIES at Warner Bros, the developers, their families, the spirits of their ancestors and Raiden's hat to show them that we won't stand for this! Together we can stop Neversoft from killing gaming as we know it!

/s

Would you mind not throwing up a stawman when you can actually have a decent discourse with us who don't agree with your criticism?

Jachaos

Giving people the option to pay for something they can unlock for free is hardly new.

Yeah, fighting games (and others) aren't strangers to this but those DLC are usually to speed up unlockables. Commentators, costumes, etc. Still shitty, true. In fact I wish some of the P4A DLC (the music) was unlockable. Of course, I don't expect post-release characters as unlockables.

In this case though we're talking about consumables in a 60$ game. Consumables for simplifying an in-game button input at that.

Neff

"Give us money and we beat the game for you"

No need to even send a copy of the game to my house, just stream a video of some mad skillz pro at WB beating a bunch of other guys on my behalf and I'll consider it $60 well spent.

I don't see the problem, tbh. I just find it dumb that someone would pay for easy fatalities considering the inputs aren't hard at all.

What is everyone mad at?

Let's stop these monsters everyone! Make sure to tweet #NOPAYTALITIES at Warner Bros, the developers, their families, the spirits of their ancestors and Raiden's hat to show them that we won't stand for this! Together we can stop Neversoft from killing gaming as we know it!

/s

You need to go back in time like 7 years and stop EA first! They have been selling shortcuts like this for years.

KazenY2J

Instead of complaining, why not make a decent argument for something as optional as this?
You act like fatalities are behind a paywall.

Storm360

It really fucking bugs me, if this is acceptable, where does it end?

Easy combos for only $10?

It's disgusting that this is even seen as a valid method of making money, this is honestly worse than the on-disc characters in SFxT

fernoca

Teased at some weeks ago. Seems to be as expected. Basically, you either play the game or pay to unlock things earlier.

In this case, you pay for the tokens that make fatality combinations easier to perform, said tokens can be acquired in game anyway, for those that don't like memorizing combinations. You can also perform fatalities like in every other game without paying anything.

The addition/option may suck and I get the point of "well this is just the start!", but in this soecific case is no biggie. Of course, that won't change anything. Some don't mind, others do..and quite a few will just post about how they won't buy the game now...even though they were never planning to.

Lemstar

I believe there will be achievements on performing each fatality.
Correct me if I'm wrong though.
If you're not competent enough to do fatalities normally, you probably won't even be able to finish story mode, let alone get the platinum.

It really fucking bugs me, if this is acceptable, where does it end?

Easy combos for only $10?

It's disgusting that this is even seen as a valid method of making money, this is honestly worse than the on-disc characters in SFxT
Easy combos affect the matches you play. Simplifying fatality inputs doesn't.

DR2K

Banned

It's not your business what anyone else does with their money/game/time if you're able to play the game normally.

kurahador

Sarcasm right? Because this is basically like buying limited use taunt in Dota 2/TF2/CS:GO.

Armadilo

Banned

I could see that happening, please no

Khezu

You have like ten minutes to perform fatalities now a days.
Who is this for?

Why would anyone do this?

The only person that would want to do easy fatalitys would just want to do it the one time to see what it looks like, and they can just watch it on youtube.

My mind is broken.

v0yce

The fact that people have no problem with this just lets me know we're already too far down the microtransaction hole to ever get out.

We suck.

Top Bottom