• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most badass move/skill in sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

Anderson Silva was incredible

silva-griffin.gif

untitled-3wesis.gif

He was incredible, until that clowning around led to him being KO'd. Was never the same again.

Triple plays are still a thing of beauty, and one of my favorite displays of actual teamwork in any team-sport:

http://i.imgur.com/sOAOwGW.gif[mg]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/xBInnpo.gif

duv2tp2.gif

The way the camera zooms between the bases is so hype.

the last two gifs... when the first baseman grabs the ball from the air and moves his arm in the semi circle, it gives a satisfying finality to the play...as if even HE is saying "fuck yeah" because he knows what just happened.

mclem

teFrcSv.jpg

Also, you'll occasionally see some incredible one-handed catches in cricket, I'll see if I can find examples.

Here's a good selection from Youtube. To clarify those that might not be clear to non-cricket fans for the ones at the boundary, the ball is *not* caught if at any point it touches either the ground, *or* a player currently touching any area out of bounds (which includes the boundary rope). That's why you sometimes see them throw the ball back into the air.

EVO

There are a few things in this thread I've done or seen done by amateurs. (Bicycle kick, Scorpio Kick, Knee down on a motorcycle, Slam Dunks etc, but I skated for 10 years and I never saw anyone in person that came close to the stuff that Rodney Mullen can pull off.

I could only dream of puling off just a fraction of his moves.

As good as Mullen was I wouldn't consider any of his stuff badass. Badass is bombing a hill or grinding a huge rail, not some goofy freestyle tricks.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I lost my shit when I saw this happen, craziest thing I've seen in an MMA match.

giphy.gif

Neville's Red Arrow is amazing.

n4yPJ3Q.gif

And who doesn't love a good Canadian Destroyer?

giphy.gif

First touch ball control is one of the largest disparities in teams between the very top and almost anywhere below. Bringing the ball under control that fast gives you that extra second or two before getting closed down. Still amazing to see players do it.

Indeed. Also, when it's done using the chest is super impressive too:

BrownOptimalHowlermonkey.gif

Alexis Sánchez, baby!!!!

highrider

Banned

Have to go with the lost and found dunk. He's 6'1 with a 50 inch vertical. I feel ashamed being the same height lol.

Big-E

I think if we are talking football goals, then it is the Roberto Carlos freekick. Think about how many set pieces there have been since then in the middle of the field. Think how many times you have seen something like it. Shout outs also to Zlatan's bicycle kick, won't see anything like that again.

Flying Armbars. Very rare and difficult to pull off.

Helicopter Armbar

Armbars come from nearly every position. Back, front, standing, sitting, laying. The hyper extension of the elbow joint is possible from anywhere as long as your opponent exposes their arm. This is why grappling is often compared to chess. Every movement you do with your body is a gift to your opponent. Like doing aything with your body is a chess piece making a move.

Inverted Triangle. Unlike a regular triangle, you cannot see what is going on. The principle is that by pressing their neck and one of their arms with a lot of compression. you kill the flow of blood going to their brain, and that chokes them up. Essentially, having their shoulders squished against their neck chokes them out.
Regularly, you can see what you are doing, but not inverted. Using your feet to catch the arm and then cross the arm and position your own body and legs in a way that allows you to lock and squeeze it is difficult.

Footlocks remain the most dangerous as they come so fast. The heel hook is notorious because you can be perfectly fine, and then have it instantly snap. You wrap your legs around the opponents leg to extend it fully, and then you put their wrist in your armpit and use your weight and power to crank their foot (while its extended). The tension causes the knee ligaments to tear and break.
These sorts of footlocks are sometimes career ending. the ligaments don't fix themselves. Broken bones can easily heal, but once you go to snap city with this, you're fucked.

Knee injuries are detrimental in many types of sports, and martial arts are no different. Besides being one of the places where injuries hurt the most, a weak knee that you cannot really stand on, can make it difficult to move in general.

So once you understand the risk, it's impossible not to become excited with footlocks. It's a big deal, and people who don't tap or give up in time, will pay the piper.

Oozer3993

A lot of great moves already posted. I'll talk about three almosts.

Lebron's almost-dunk with 10 seconds left in Game 7 of the NBA Finals last year. Had Draymond not fouled him, I'm convinced the NBA would have just ended the game right there. Also, Cleveland wouldn't exist anymore. We all would have spontaneously combusted.

Extra time of a 2014 World Cup Quarterfinal match between Switzerland and Argentina. Argentina is up 1-0 in the 121st minute. Switzerland's goalie comes up for a corner kick. And attempts a bicycle kick. Had he put it in, I'd be dead right now.

Butler-Duke in the National Championship Game a couple years ago. At the buzzer, down 2 against the villain's of the college basketball world, Gordon Hayward for massive underdog Butler misses a half-court heave by no more than an inch. It would have been, in my opinion, the single greatest basketball shot ever made.

As for moves that worked, Carly Lloyd in the 2015 World Cup Final:

ty5aWpl.gif

And Mckayla Maroney in the 2012 Olympics:

POEyZut.gif

Bonus points for making a judge's jaw drop:

VUWtjoD.jpg

amanset

Extra time of a 2014 World Cup Quarterfinal match between Switzerland and Argentina. Argentina is up 1-0 in the 121st minute. Switzerland's goalie comes up for a corner kick. And attempts a bicycle kick. Had he put it in, I'd be dead right now.

Not an overhead kick, but few things will ever beat Jimmy Glass in 1999. Last day of the season, Carlisle needed to win to stop being relegated out of League Two, out of professional football and into the amateur area. Four minutes of injury time it is 1-1. In the last minute the goalkeeper, Jimmy Glass, comes up for a corner and puts it in the back of the net. Madness ensues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5-ANGlhuM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom