• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most disturbing characters in all gaming?

Disturbing could mean gross and unsettling in what it's meant to pander to (e.g. Momo from Xenosaga/Loli) or just plain horrifying. This doesn't have to just be characters, it could basically be any "live" thing in a game that the player interacts with. This thread is more or less just a thread about video game things that freak your shit.

By far one of the most disturbing characters or things in any game, I might argue any medium, is AM from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. I'm sure many of you are already familiar with AM but for the uninitiated I'll give a brief explanation. The game was based on the 1967 short story written by Harlen Ellison. During WWIII the militaries of the world create a supercomputer called Allied Mastercomputer in order to run the war which has become too complex for humans to handle themselves.The AIs coalesce and gain sentience and decide to carry out a genocide against the entire human race. Pretty familiar stuff far as evil AI constructs go, right? Well AM, in its utter hatred for humanity, has decided to enslave and essentially grant immortality to a small handful of people for the sole purpose of torturing them. Because you see... AM really resents humanity for having created him.

7zGEiT9.jpg

That's a lot of hate.

AM is so disturbing because he's essentially a wrathful god who cannot be reasoned with or appeased. The only thing that gives AMs existence any purpose is torturing this group of people. Pretty sick.

SHODAN ain't got NUTHIN' on AM.

Edit: Don't be a cunt. Post the name of the character/thing and the game it's from. Nobody is impressed with obscure guessing game bullshit.

sn00zer

Disturbing could mean gross and unsettling in what it's meant to pander to (e.g. Momo from Xenosaga/Loli) or just plain horrifying. This doesn't have to just be characters, it could basically be any "live" thing in a game that the player interacts with. This thread is more or less just a thread about video game things that freak your shit.

Dunno about the game, but the short story its based on is horrific.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
latest

Sae was the first character that popped in mind. She's from Fatal Frame 2, and the main antagonist of the game, though more of an antagonist by position rather than her deliberately trying to be one. She's the spirit of a girl who believed deeply in the rituals the town committed, but loved her sister more than anything, and agree'd to escape the town with her sister, but due to a series of unfortunate events, only her sister managed to get away. Sae tried to take part in the ritual her town did to forgive its sin, a twin ritual, but with only one sister, who the village views as, "One half of a person," she was rejected and the town was cursed. Sae is one of the spirits wandering the lost village, but definitely the one who sticks out the most.

Your character being the older and 'stronger' twin, Sae takes a special interest in you. Her feelings of regret, remorse, anger, lust, are much stronger than anyone else's in the spirits, which makes her an absolutely creepy stalker through the course of the game. It gets creepy as the game goes on as it gets harder to tell if your sister is actually your sister, as traces of Sae begin to appear in her, and the ghost seems fixated to disturbing degrees the romanticization of you and her, "becoming one," in a sacrificial twin ritual to embody each other mind, body, and soul in death.

This is all backed by an absolutely creepy laugh she has, the way she moves trying to wrap her fingers around you whenever she's near, her past persona and mistaking you for her sister becoming more and more rampant as the game goes on ("Are you leaving me again?). her relation with the Kisabi so that dying spirits with deformed faces and corpses often pop up around her and it, and just a number of absolutely tense and creepy scenes you end up with her. (You hide in a closet as she scratches on the door, in the voice of your sister begging you to let her in).

Rymuth

hqdefault.jpg

Name:
Giant babies
Game: Drakengard
Reason: giant babies who are sent by the gods of the Drakengard universe to bring about the Apocalypse by killing and eating humanity one by one.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to the unseen gods of Drakengard. Everything they have ever done, from the giant babies to the flower in Zero's eye in Drakengard 3, has been another scheme to wipe out humanity.

Your Gods hate you and actively try to come up with inventive ways to wipe you out...that's the most depressing shit I've ever seen.

Trickster

What do you get if you combine an amazing german voice actor, genius nazi doctor and liquid nitrogen?

You get Deathshead from Wolfenstein The New Order

There was several cutscenes with him in the game where my heart was beating so fast just because of how fucked up he and his actions are. This character made me spend hours watching ww2 documentaries about the experiements and shit that went on during ww2

shira

Pudge from Dota 2.

Insane cannibal butcher with cockney accent who grows more powerful the more enemies he kills.

Dota2_PudgeShakeTaunt.gif

Shojx

Silent Hill goes well with this thread.

But anyways, I've always found this thing unsettling from Twilight Princess.

tumblr_m7ysvuRfv71r3fcxro1_500.png

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
It's too bad they never made an Aeon Flux game based on show, just that shitty movie. It could have been gloriously disturbing.

aeonflux-cartoon27.jpg

O____O

That is horrifying. I remember that episode isn't that
the evolution of humanity way in the future where Aeon wakes up?

Astarte

hqdefault.jpg

Name:
Giant babies
Game: Drakengard
Reason: giant babies who are sent by the gods of the Drakengard universe to bring about the Apocalypse by killing and eating humanity one by one.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to the unseen gods of Drakengard. Everything they have ever done, from the giant babies to the flower in Zero's eye in Drakengard 3, has been another scheme to wipe out humanity.

Your Gods hate you and actively try to come up with inventive ways to wipe you out...that's the most depressing shit I've ever seen.

The entire time I was fighting giant teeth babies I was in disbelief. I couldn't handle what we happening at that moment.

This is good too, but I'd say most characters in the game take the cake.

Top Bottom