• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most ominous photos ever taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
rhino+clouds.png

Riggs

Banned
I remember reading about this. The photographer left after he took the picture (apparently some photographer's code of not interfering with nature) and took his own life a year or two later.

Not interfering with nature???? Hope that is not true, I would kill myself to if I just left a little starving/severely malnourished child to be eaten by a vulture.

FStop7

Banned
I remember reading about this. The photographer left after he took the picture (apparently some photographer's code of not interfering with nature) and took his own life a year or two later.

Not interfering with nature???? Hope that is not true, I would kill myself to if I just left a little starving/severely malnourished child to be eaten by a vulture.

Journalists injecting themselves into the stories they cover can be dangerous. But in this case there's more to the story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter#Alternative_account_of_the_photograph

Hootie

JxisN.jpg

the initial fireball of the Tsar Bomba, aka the largest explosive device ever detonated

"The Tsar Bomb was a three-stage Teller–Ulam design hydrogen bomb with a yield of 50 megatons (Mt). This is equivalent to 1,400 times the combined power of the bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki, 10 times the combined power of all the conventional explosives used in WWII, or one quarter of the estimated yield of the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa."

65Lh1.jpg

I guess only ominous if you know already that the red car is filled with 500lbs of explosives, and will detonate moments after this photo was taken, killing 29 people and gravely injuring over 200 more.

Tourist picked a hell of a spot to get his picture taken. This is from the Omagh bombing, in 1998.

Shit.

It's the sheer mundanity of this one that makes it.

LQX

Come on, if it is not clearly obvious please post some background on what is about to happen.

Aurongel

ivangorod.jpg

Maybe it's already been posted, but I can't think of anything that even comes close to this^

Apparently she was instructed to hold her child close so that the Nazi would only have to use one bullet. Good lord.

Loxley

ivangorod.jpg

Maybe it's already been posted, but I can't think of anything that even comes close to this^

Apparently she was instructed to hold her child close so that the Nazi would only have to use one bullet. Good lord.

This, unfortunately, was a common way the Nazis would carry out executions of large groups of people, in order to conserve ammunition. The definition of fucked up.

Az987

all good things
Wouldn't an ominous photo of a tsunami be the tide receding before the wave comes and not the actual wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom