• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underrated Michael Jackson songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestad

Banned
There's been a lot of "Best MJ songs" threads, and the usual suspects are Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Beat It.... Etc.

What are some underrated songs from his GOAT discography you feel they don't get as much love as they deserve?

I think that a lot of songs from the HIStory Era are just fucking awesome and definitely underrated. Money, Tabloid Junkie, Ghosts... Classic MJ.

From Invincible, Whatever Happens is godly, and from Xscape, Blue Gangsta is an amazing follow up to Smooth Criminal.

What are your underrated MJ songs, GAF?

karobit

Get on the Floor has a killer groove and a joyous climax after the breakdown.

Heartbreaker is the best track on Invincible.

oo7

The one from Free Willy is a good one. Scream with Janet is one that also gets overlooked I believe.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

!!!

Agreed, that's what I was gonna post. The video serves fierce too with Janet. Probably his best music video (though Billy Jean is his best song imo)

nJYbhCG.gif

If PYT didn't get out on Thriller it would have been a number one hit. That album was fucking stacked. For whatever reason he never even played it live.

Can You Feel It is his best pump up anthem. It's absolutely amazing. But it got stuck in that weird phase when he was a part of The Jacksons after they lost The Jackson 5 name, and no one listened to them. The music video is awesome, the song is catchy as hell, and it has a great meaning behind the lyrics.

This Is It just reminds me of his death, and is incredibly sad song to listen to. Love it.

1. PYT
2. Can You Feel It
3. This Is It

royalan

For me, it's definitely The Lady In My Life.

Not necessarily an underrated song, but I don't think it gets appreciated for how great it really is. It's Soul/Disco MJ at his absolute best before he crossed over to full Pop. And it's one of his strongest vocal performances as an adult, in my opinion.

And how can you not be slayed by that production?

retroman

Off The Wall
The Lady In My Life
Sunset Driver
I Wanna Be Where You Are
One Day In Your Life
We Are Here To Change The World
Behind The Mask
Someone In The Dark
We're Almost There
Torture
Eaten Alive

Also, this live album is really underrated:

1393599012-live.jpg

Very good performances of pre-Thriller songs. Michael's voice is incredible on this one.

Ahasverus

Al Capone is one of his best ever. Arguably as good as Smooth Criminal. Crazy it was the demo of that song.
OH MY GOD I AGREE SO MUCH!

I actually read once there is a possibility for it to be officially released, like the Xscape tracks. That would kill me.

Can anything that received a proper music video really be considers underrated?

Sure, if nobody ever actually mentions the song when talking about his greatest achievements.

Now, if it's a song that never made a best of album, but is a 100% a-grade banger, then you can probably call it underrated.

For example, I wanted to say "Earth Song" is kind of an underrated Michael Jackson song - but it was made FOR his greatest hits album, and got a video, and charted top 10 everywhere BUT America. So maybe it's kinda underrated in the US, but it's probably not really going to count as a legitimately snubbed song, historically.

Cherubae

Can You Feel It is his best pump up anthem. It's absolutely amazing. But it got stuck in that weird phase when he was a part of The Jacksons after they lost The Jackson 5 name, and no one listened to them. The music video is awesome, the song is catchy as hell, and it has a great meaning behind the lyrics.

Came here to post this. Can You Feel It is overlooked since it isn't part of his solo work, but it is an awesome bit of art. It was remixed for the MJ Cirque de Solei show, and it was only part of the song before the tune moved into the remix of Don't Stop Until You Get Enough, but it'll get you moving.

GamerSoul

Liberian Girl
The one with Paul like someone mentioned lol
Maybe Butterfly? Id have to go back to listen to some MJ for better ideas.

MJ is better with his family than as a solo artist yet more people know him just by himself. So in that regard, all the Jackson 5/Jacksons work is underrated.

Kanyon

If PYT didn't get out on Thriller it would have been a number one hit. That album was fucking stacked. For whatever reason he never even played it live.

Totally agree with you, PYT is a fantastic song that on any other album would have been a surefire number 1 hit. A very fun song that I just love listening to, with the whole Thriller album just packed full of hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom